US Supreme Court Justice Scalia, 79, found dead, 13 Feb 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful and moving ceremonies of respect and honor for a great servant of the U.S. The long lines of current and former law clerks on the steps of the Supreme Court building as his casket arrived are especially moving. I didn't approve of every one of Scalia's opinions, but I can separate that, and respect and celebrate his dedicated service, and supreme intellect. He was a great man, and an icon. So very sad that he passed so unexpectedly and suddenly.

I am still sad, annoyed, and very disappointed that our President did not attend the funeral. He should have been there, IMO. No excuses make his missing this funeral "ok", IMO. It was disgraceful and embarrassing that he chose so publicly not to be there, IMO. It's like he just doesn't understand what his role is, very often, IMO. I'm glad he and Michelle were willing (probably grudgingly so) to at least go and take a few minutes to pay respects at the SCOTUS. (And I was glad to see MOB actually chose something respectful, dignified, and appropriate to wear.)

People take it as a personal insult Obama didn't go to Scalia's funeral as if it has something to do with them. It doesn't.

If he had gone the complaint would be why does he have to be there and make it about him?

Whatever. JMO but grow up and move on. Justice Scalia wouldn't be whining about his hurt feelings so, imo his fans and the Obama haters should do the same.

People take it as a personal insult Obama didn't go to Scalia's funeral as if it has something to do with them. It doesn't.

If he had gone the complaint would be why does he have to be there and make it about him?

Whatever. JMO but grow up and move on. Justice Scalia wouldn't be whining about his hurt feelings so, imo his fans and the Obama haters should do the same.

No, not a personal insult. An insult to the entire Judicial branch of the United States of America.

An insult to all of the CITIZENS of the United States of America.

An insult and embarrassment to the power, image, and reputation of the presidency, and of the U.S., to the rest of the world.

It's not about the man, or woman, who holds the office. The significance of the office is bigger than any man or woman who ever has, or ever will, hold it. Bigger than any personal agenda. A great leader understands that. A great leader understands the full implications of the role of POTUS in every circumstance, and the impact of their image to their citizens, and the rest of the world. A great leader is humble, and respectful, of the immense responsibility and dignity of the office they hold. This POTUS, IMO, falls far short of those ideals. He should have been there, at the funeral. Period. He has greatly diminished ALL of us by not being there, IMO. And yes, I feel very strongly about this.

ETA: And by the way, no one-- absolutely NO ONE, would have justly or righteously criticized him for going to the funeral. It was expected. It is only because he did NOT attend, when there was no legitimate reason for NOT going, that he is rightly criticized. IMO. Even his own press secretary couldn't tap dance his way out of that one-- there was NO reason. They could have at least manufactured some kind of believable excuse-- but they didn't. And that says volumes, IMO.

No, not a personal insult. An insult to the entire Judicial branch of the United States of America.

An insult and embarrassment to the power, image, and reputation of the presidency, and of the U.S., to the rest of the world.

It's not about the man, or woman, who holds the office. The significance of the office is bigger than any man or woman who ever has, or ever will, hold it. Bigger than any personal agenda. A great leader understands that. A great leader understands the full implications of the role of POTUS in every circumstance, and the impact of their image to their citizens, and the rest of the world. A great leader is humble, and respectful, of the immense responsibility and dignity of the office they hold. This POTUS, IMO, falls far short of those ideals. He should have been there, at the funeral. Period. He has greatly diminished ALL of us by not being there, IMO. And yes, I feel very strongly about this.

ETA: And by the way, no one-- absolutely NO ONE, would have justly or righteously criticized him for going to the funeral. It was expected. It is only because he did NOT attend, when there was no legitimate reason for NOT going, that he is rightly criticized. IMO. Even his own press secretary couldn't tap dance his way out of that one-- there was NO reason. They could have at least manufactured some kind of believable excuse-- but they didn't. And that says volumes, IMO.
:snooty:Nope! Not an insult to all the citizens of the United States, I'm just fine with the V.P. Joe Biden representing us and I don't feel diminished in the least! And I highly doubt the rest of the world cares as much.
And there is precedence. Megan Kelly got her facts wrong. Eisenhower didn't attend the funeral of a Supreme Court Justice either...

I just watched Megyn Kelly and she says it's unprecedented - Obama will be the first President not to attend a sitting Supreme Court Justice's funeral. (Paraphrasing)

:snooty:Nope! Not an insult to all the citizens of the United States, I'm just fine with the V.P. Joe Biden representing us and I don't feel diminished in the least! And I highly doubt the rest of the world cares as much.
And there is precedence. Megan Kelly got her facts wrong. Eisenhower didn't attend the funeral of a Supreme Court Justice either...

BBM- The key word in Megan Kelly's statement is "sitting". :)

If you're embarrassed you're taking it personally. JMO

As for what had happened if he'd gone, come on. Has there been a single thing Obama has done since he's been elected that he wasn't attacked for? Trump probably had tweets lined up and ready to go if Obama had attended, and FOX had the "The President should have stayed home" panel on speed dial.

There is no doubt he would still have been judged just as harshly and irrationally as he is being now. Please.

I believe that had Scalia been Chief Justice, it would have been incumbant upon the President to attend his funeral.

Since he wasn't the Chief Justice, and since he chose not to attend a single State of the Union speech by almost any President, it seems to me that Scalia himself lacked respect for the Office of the Presidency. It was, imo, utterly appropriate for the Vice President who personally knew Scalia to attend his funeral. Move on.

I believe that had Scalia been Chief Justice, it would have been incumbant upon the President to attend his funeral.

Since he wasn't the Chief Justice, and since he chose not to attend a single State of the Union speech by almost any President, it seems to me that Scalia himself lacked respect for the Office of the Presidency. It was, imo, utterly appropriate for the Vice President who personally knew Scalia to attend his funeral. Move on.

I didn't know this. Excellent point.

Scalia's family requested that no autopsy be performed. Do you think the family has something to hide?

Maybe- my guess is that they are trying to protect his legacy and don't want it to come out that he had serious health issues and ought to have stepped down sooner.

how do you make that leap?

Like the justice said in the past, It's a childish spectical, the state of the union speech is, I have to agree with him.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-not-attend-justice-scalia-s-funeral-n520236

I should be shocked, but I'm not, given this POTUS's disgraceful, petulant attitude toward anyone he doesn't ideologically agree with. Absolutely the wrong thing for a sitting POTUS to do. Yet another example of very bad leadership, on many levels. Let's make this into more of a partisan circus than it already is.

Whether you love his opinions or not, Scalia served this country honorably for 30 years on the SCOTUS bench. Obama should be at the funeral to pay respects for the country, even if he can't bring himself to do it for himself or his office.

"Honorably"???? Heh. Not so much, and therein lies much of the controversy. Have you ever read some of his opinions? President Obama has bigger fish to fry than attending the funeral of someone who was generally disrespectful of his Presidency, as well as careless and dismissive regarding some of the most important civil rights issues in this country.

"Honorably"???? Heh. Not so much, and therein lies much of the controversy. Have you ever read some of his opinions? President Obama has bigger fish to fry than attending the funeral of someone who was generally disrespectful of his Presidency, as well as careless and dismissive regarding some of the most important civil rights issues in this country.

It's quite the opposite. The President is disrespectful of the Supreme Court. He has made his animosity known in front of the entire nation in a State of the Union address.

It's quite the opposite. The President is disrespectful of the Supreme Court. He has made his animosity known in front of the entire nation in a State of the Union address.

Disagreement is not equivalent to disrespect. Obama did criticize the Citizens United decision and predicted it would lead to immense spending in future elections. That prediction turned out to be absolutely correct.

Disagreement is not equivalent to disrespect. Obama did criticize the Citizens United decision and predicted it would lead to immense spending in future elections. That prediction turned out to be absolutely correct.

It's one thing to disagree but to criticize to their faces in front of the entire nation is disrespectful in my opinion. Disrespect of the Supreme Court equals disrespect of the Constitution which the Supreme Court interprets.

Apologies if this has been posted previously, I scanned the thread and didn't see it. I am not into a lot of conspiracy issues but found it interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...77af38-db20-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html

Scalia was apparently attending a secret society function. I still do not think there was anything sinister going on or that he was killed but maybe his family didn't want any of this coming out- it would spark controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname