UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming in to this thread late, so if I have whatever little facts we know wrong, please correct.

I see the boots being left behind as a very strong message...."he's gone". Whoever left them knew exactly what they were doing and the message it would send.

I haven't heard any mention of possible onset of psychological disorder; 19 would be about the right time for that. However, unless one of you updates me that possibility is on the table, I will strike it.

What seems most likely to me is that he got in to an altercation at the watering hole, with deadly consequences. The empty boots seem like an ominous and powerful message/warning.

Given the terrain, it is unlikely remains (IF he is deceased), will be found.f

Given the little I know from quickly reading a bit on this case, I would laser focus my efforts on the trace evidence in his truck, as well as vigorous interrogation of the bar patrons.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This is what I thought @OldCop. What the heck. I have to rethink about things now. I was trying to picture a scenario where Dylan would have walked back to his home/trailer barefoot and why. And why he would have walked five miles out there in the first place. But if his truck was out there, how did it get pressure washed? Because if it had been driven after being washed it should be obvious in that terrain. I’m so confused by this case. MOO
Was it actually pressure washed with a pressure washer or did somebody just train a Hose on it?
Not everyone owns a pressure washer but most people own hoses?
Or could it have gone through a carwash?

There’s a lot of conflicting information here so it’s extremely difficult to put my finger on exactly what’s what.

An earlier poster, who claimed they knew Dylan, told us that Dylan bought the property from a guy in Utah with the help of family. I think that’s been disproven and that the property belongs to Grandpa.

We were told that Dylan did nothing but farm. He had no girlfriends and led a very isolated life spending all his time working. Not so apparently, as he was known to visit Montello quite regularly and even had occasion to stay over. Where and with whom we do not know. People know him. So he did not live an entirely lonely life. Did his parents not know that Dylan appeared to have a social life after all? Did Dylan keep that a secret, and if so why?

He has some farm hands so he’s not entirely alone. It took awhile to hear that info and also to hear that he had recently fired one of the workers.

A fake hostage situation? Well, somebody made that rumour happen. And again, Montello was the centre of attention.

The shoeless weird guy story has some traction and the family seems to have outed that person as the same person that they believe could be a POI (we can’t go there and rightly so).

Was there really a shoeless guy?

Then we have the transients and meth heads that are squatting all around poor Dylan. Apparently they have a network and are always lurking in the background and seem to know stuff.

I’m at a point that I’m not sure what to believe right now but I wonder about a couple of things.

1. I’m wondering if Dylan may be on the autism spectrum. Clearly high functioning. The obsessiveness with his shoes, obsessiveness with work, isolation, etc. Just a hunch.

2. Mental Health - Dylan is at that age where some mental health disorders pop up. Could the shoeless guy story and the fact, according to his mother, he told many family members about the encounter and maybe not quite as it seemed? Maybe it never really happened.

3. Drug Use - We’ve seen it before. One bad trip and boom it’s over. Friends panic, hide the body and then try to cover up. Could he have been talked into trying something and it all went bad really fast?

4. LE is VERY quiet. Not really a peep. From outward appearances it doesn’t seem that they are treating this as anything other than a missing adult case with no foul play involved. What do they know that we don’t?

Not sure where this is all headed but it sure is a mystery.

MOO

Montello has a reputation. I live in Elko, and ever since I've lived here I have heard that Montello can be a dangerous place, that the locals take care of "business" without involving the authorities, etc.
Interesting indeed, thank you.
Can you think of any geographical reason to force him off his land?
Is there something there?

IMO this is foul play.

Whoever disappeared Dylan knew where he lived and returned his truck and boots as staging, to give the impression Dylan disappeared from home.

IMO he did not.

JMO

Love triangles are in the news.

Did Dylan talk to a girl that "belonged" to someone who exerted his dominance?

Anybody show up to work with bruised knuckles?

I think the key is going to be Dylan's time in town. I suspect that's where his life intersected with something unsavory, of which his part may have been completely innocent.

Somebody knows something and IMO that someone may be terrified to come forward on account of the player/s.

JMO

IMO this is foul play.

Whoever disappeared Dylan knew where he lived and returned his truck and boots as staging, to give the impression Dylan disappeared from home.

IMO he did not.

JMO
I agree.

Mike King talks a lot about Victimology on Profiling Evil. If what we know about Dylan so far is accurate, he would be in the low risk category. That could suggest he was targeted. Looking at recent known issues - I suspect the firing of the farm hand is a good place to start looking. If Dylan was out of the picture, that person might regain a job and a place to live. This is purely supposition on my part, just thinking about possibilities.

Any other thoughts on why he could be a target?

I agree.

Mike King talks a lot about Victimology on Profiling Evil. If what we know about Dylan so far is accurate, he would be in the low risk category. That could suggest he was targeted. Looking at recent known issues - I suspect the firing of the farm hand is a good place to start looking. If Dylan was out of the picture, that person might regain a job and a place to live. This is purely supposition on my part, just thinking about possibilities.

Any other thoughts on why he could be a target?
Fully agree with this.

With regards to him being a target, given that he lived an isolated existence, was essentially in the middle of nowhere, as well as the cleaning of the truck etc., this points to someone who targeted him IMO. Someone who knew Dylan, who, for whatever reason, had a grudge or a score to settle. I think it's also highly likely that LE have already spoken with this individual (again, given that he was relatively isolated the list of suspects with a grudge can't be that lengthy). If I was LE I think I'd be double and triple checking alibies for those who know him at this point!

Was it actually pressure washed with a pressure washer or did somebody just train a Hose on it?
I’m not sure @kittythehare. Upthread it stated pressure-washed, but there’s so much conflicting info, who knows for sure.

I may have missed this info...but do we know if the truck was cleaned inside as well? Or was it only cleaned on the outside?

Edit: just to elaborate bit...my thinking is that if its only the outside of the truck that's been cleaned IMO this points towards Dylan having cleaned it himself, whereas were it also cleaned on the inside this would suggest someone eradicating trace evidence.

Last edited:
I think its very likely Dylan has a pressure washer at this farm, his equipment has to be cleaned, a lot of farmers have pressure washers to keep their equipment free of mud. I grew up on a farm and even in the old days farmers washed their equipment. Farm equipment doesnt work properly if its caked in mud, in addition it has to be clean so it can be maintained, lubed, oil changes repairs etc.

moo

One thing that keeps nagging at me is that his equipment is so randomly parked all over the place. I am wondering if he owns the equipment, if its his grandpas, if its borrowed, etc.

Another thing I keep thinking about is the tractors, backhoe, grader, roller, fuel truck, grain truck all have fuel in them. Could someone have gotten rid of him to steal all the fuel with prices being at record levels? I know it sounds crazy, I'm just looking for a motive here. If your a farmer and you have no fuel you cant farm.

Just wanted to throw it out as we don't have much to go on right now
moo

I think its very likely Dylan has a pressure washer at this farm, his equipment has to be cleaned, a lot of farmers have pressure washers to keep their equipment free of mud. I grew up on a farm and even in the old days farmers washed their equipment. Farm equipment doesnt work properly if its caked in mud, in addition it has to be clean so it can be maintained, lubed, oil changes repairs etc.

moo
I read that and the reason I was being pedantic about the type of washer used is to open the possibilities that the clean-up happened elsewhere, After the 'ambush' if that is how it all went down.
He was possibly taken in another vehicle but his required cleaning and returning to his place.
If his own personal power washer was definitely used it would indicate a perpetrator who was familiar with his place, a person known to him.

I’m curious as to why so many posters here seem to be dead sure foul play is involved in Dylan’s disappearance (full disclosure: I’m 50/50 between foul play and voluntary disappearance/suicide).

From the beginning, Dylan’s parents have been asserting this is a case of foul play. Initially his mom stated that Dylan was dedicated only to farming and had no interest in making friends, dating, playing video games or sports, etc. We later learned that he did, in fact, have friends whom he would meet in Montello, so I’m questioning the veracity of the information coming from sources other than LE.

Aside from his parents’ testimony about his character and how he wouldn’t disappear, what concrete evidence do we really have that points to foul play?

It’s been suggested that because his truck appeared to be thoroughly washed and the seat was pushed forward, it points to foul play. But IMO I don’t see that as anything nefarious—he was living out in the middle of the desert, I’m sure vehicles get dirty quickly. If Dylan is as dedicated to his farm as is being stated, it isn’t a stretch to think he would want to keep all of his tools and equipment clean and in good working condition, which might very well include keeping the truck clean.

It’s also been suggested that the boots being left near the dirt pile points to foul play, but I’m not sure I see how that indicates foul play. It wouldn’t make any sense for someone who wanted to do harm to Dylan to remove his boots at the farm but not dump his phone and wallet as well. Additionally, without knowing whether the small amount of blood was found on the inside or the outside of the boots, it’s hard to say whether or not it could indicate foul play. I have a pain of shoes that has a small bloodstain inside because I had a blister that popped and another pair that had a tiny drop on the front of the shoe because I cut my finger and it dropped down onto my shoe. I would imagine that blisters and small cuts are not uncommon issues for farmers to encounter given the equipment they work with and the walking they have to do on the farm.

MOO I think it’s too early to conclusively say foul play in the only possibility at this point, as the evidence for it is weak at best and can easily be spun to support a voluntary disappearance/self-harm as well. While I think foul play is still a strong possibility, I also think it’s important to not pigeon-hole ourselves into thinking it is obviously foul play.

I read that and the reason I was being pedantic about the type of washer used is to open the possibilities that the clean-up happened elsewhere, After the 'ambush' if that is how it all went down.
He was possibly taken in another vehicle but his required cleaning and returning to his place.
If his own personal power washer was definitely used it would indicate a perpetrator who was familiar with his place, a person known to him.

Agree, that would suggest a person who once worked there, or a local person (who we cannot name)....

jmho ymmv lrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member