Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

JB was the squatter, who together with DH, was said to be "family friends" of Dylan and his family.

I believe it was DH that had recently quit.

Recalling the criminal complaint, After JB was interviewed by BECSO around June 7, 2022, he delivered his muzzle loaders to DH for safekeeping. DH turned the weapons into LE but kept a .22 rifle received from JB --citing the original owner of the rifle owed DH money.
I realize JB felt the rifle should be his because of a debt owed to JB by someone. Who was that person? I don't recall how JB had the opportunity to choose to keep and acquire the rifle and under what circumstances that happened. Remind me of that part of the story, please, anyone!

In light of reading the way you've worded this explanation, it makes me wonder if JB knew at that point in time, when he decided to keep the rifle, that he'd be killing Dylan or, in the least, he thought he may need the rifle at some point, all the while knowing it was illegal for him to possess weapons due to JB being a convicted felon.

This isn’t Brenner’s first brush with the law.

He was convicted in Illinois for malicious wounding and malicious shooting and has three convictions for being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to the Tremonton Leader.

He was sentenced in 2012 to 33 months in prison after being convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Brenner was arrested on June 29 for, again, being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to CBS affiliate KUTV.

Neighbor Named As Suspect In Teen Farmer Dylan Rounds' Disappearance | Oxygen Official Site

I realize JB felt the rifle should be his because of a debt owed to JB by someone. Who was that person? I don't recall how JB had the opportunity to choose to keep and acquire the rifle and under what circumstances that happened. Remind me of that part of the story, please, anyone!

Sorry if my post was unclear. It was DH that kept the .22 rifle received from JB for safekeeping. DH handed over JB's muzzleloader guns to LE but retained the rifle because DH believed the owner that left the long gun behind in the trailer that JB squatted owed him money. DH eventually handed over the .22 rifle to LE. MOO

Bringing the timeline to the new thread.

April, 2022
  • DR has an argument with Don, a family friend who works on the farm and they decide to part ways.
May 25, 2022
  • DR calls family members about ‘weird run-in’: a man, CV, is walking barefooted down the road and acting erratically. The man asks to use DR’s phone and for a ride. DR thinks the man may be dangerous/high. [He tells his mom he DID NOT give a ride, but his mom later states that CV himself admitted DR gave him a ride, changing story and possibly unreliable] [CV is in a nearby county jail for unrelated charges, booked June 4, 2022]
May 26, 2022 [Last known sighting]
  • Visits Montello, NV.
  • DR gets groceries at Montello Gas & Grocery. [confirmed by LE and bank statements].
  • DR has lunch at Saddle Sore Bar-Cafe. [confirmed by phone and bank records]
  • DR calls each parent on the phone and talks about his upcoming farming plans. Dad mentions spotty service. [confirmed by phone records]
May 28, 2022 [Last heard from]
  • Presumably in Lucin, UT.
  • 6.51am: DR calls grandmother to talk, but hangs up early as he needs to cover his seed truck for the upcoming rain. [confirmed by phone pings to be at the farm at this time]
  • There is heavy rain during day.
  • 3.41pm: DR’s phone gives off its last confirmed ping, covering a 15.4 mile radius which includes DR’s farm.
  • 10pm: Erratic man seen 200 miles away.
May 29, 2022
  • DR’s grandma calls Don, to checks on DR, but Don cannot find him.
  • The man that DR gave a ride to and that was acting erratically, is spotted in town. [presumably in Montello, NV, but unconfirmed and presumably unrelated.]
May 30, 2022 [Reported missing]
  • Don and Jim (another farm hand) can’t find DR and call DR’s grandma, who calls J.D. (his best friend) to ask if J.D. has seen DR.
  • ±11am: Mom recieves a phone call from J.D. if she has seen DR, which she hasn’t. Mom calls around, but nobody has seen DR.
  • ±4pm: Mom and DR’s dad travel to Lucin, UT, from ID and file a missing persons report.
  • ±5pm: Police arrive at DR’s property in Lucin.
  • DR’s residence/trailer is searched: himself, his phone, wallet, car fob/keys and 0.40 pistol are missing. His trailer is not ‘ransacked’. DR’s truck, a maroon Ford, is found locked and parked near the trailer. It has been recently cleaned on the outside, in the back tires and the inside bed. The seat is pushed forward and 4WD switched on, despite having been inoperable. DR’s dad breaks the truck back window. [this is allowed by LE present]
  • ±6pm: DR’s boots are found 100 yds from the ‘shop’, where his grain truck is stored.
May 31, 2022
  • A fake call is made to DR’s mom and grandma that DR is being held hostage in Montello, NV, by an older gentleman. The call is made by Kurt, a former farm hand with DR and owner of the Saddle Sore Bar, who helped search during the day. [as told by the mom]
Jun 2, 2022
  • Family is told there was a spot of blood found on the boots found on May 30th.
Jun 6, 2022
  • DR’s boots, previously held by police, are finally sent to the labaratory.
  • DR’s brother Colton and best friend J.D. are called in for DNA testing. [presumably routine]
Jun 13, 2022
  • Equusearch Midwest, a horse-mounted volunteer organization, joins the search.
Jun 14, 2022
  • DR’s pickup truck is taken in by Bonneville County, ID.
Jun 15, 2022
  • Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office (Lucin, UT) releases a statement labeling DR’s case as a “Missing Person/Criminal Investigation” for the first time.
  • FBI and Rigby, ID police (DR’s hometown) join the search.
Jun 17, 2022
  • Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office (Lucin, UT) names the case as a criminal investigation.
Jun 18, 2022
  • DR’s 2 trailers/camper homes are taken into police custody.
Jun 18, 2022 – Jun 19, 2022
  • No public/volunteer searches are held to allow LE and Equusearch to search.
Jun 20, 2022
  • A PI hired by DR’s family to assist is fired because of his weird and disrespectful behaviour, the family citing a “difference of opinion” in a press release.
May 30, 2022 — Ongoing
  • Daily searches, both by LE, family, volunteers and search organizations.
  • Family, especially mom, interviews with the media.
Bumping the timeline from thread #1.

<modsnip - quoted post and response to it removed>

It would be very interesting if Dylan recorded a video talking about the farming and especially if he revealed any problems or difficulties he was having with people in the area.
I'm guessing the crime that occurred relating to the arrest may have unfolded gradually over time, and not suddenly.

Also wondering : If Dylan and/or his phone pings were in the area where JB was squatting --- had Dylan been compelled to confront JB about his behavior ?

OR ... did a crime happen at Dylan's trailer, and JB took Dylan's phone with him back to where his tent or vehicle was located ?
Squatting makes me think tenting, but JB could have had an RV or lived in his car, etc.
So awful.

Still hoping fervently that LE can find Dylan soon.
I do not want JB (if guilty, & it looks like LE think so !) to be able to plea for a light sentence in exchange for Dylan's remains.
M00.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for right now, I'll take the statement that JB was a 'family friend' , with a few grains of salt....
JB may have appeared to be harmless and maybe even helpful & friendly ?
Possibly leading Dylan to think JB was trustworthy ?
All of which might have been an ongoing ruse on JB's part.
Imo.

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post and response to it removed>

It would be very interesting if Dylan recorded a video talking about the farming and especially if he revealed any problems or difficulties he was having with people in the area.
I'm guessing the crime that occurred relating to the arrest may have unfolded gradually over time, and not suddenly.

Also wondering : If Dylan and/or his phone pings were in the area where JB was squatting --- had Dylan been compelled to confront JB about his behavior ?

OR ... did a crime happen at Dylan's trailer, and JB took Dylan's phone with him back to where his tent or vehicle was located ?
Squatting makes me think tenting, but JB could have had an RV or lived in his car, etc.
So awful.

Still hoping fervently that LE can find Dylan soon.
I do not want JB (if guilty, & it looks like LE think so !) to be able to plea for a light sentence in exchange for Dylan's remains.
M00.

Many of OP's questions were answered in previous thread and timeline.

JB, a squatter, was living in a trailer and not a tent. The trailer was located about 5 miles from DR's own camper.

According to a federal complaint obtained by PEOPLE, Brenner was squatting in a trailer on the property where 19-year-old Rounds kept his grain truck.

Rounds last spoke to his grandmother on May 28 and told her he was moving the grain truck from his camper in Lucin — in northwest Utah near the Nevada border — to his shed about five miles away because it had started to rain.

"He just had to get his grain truck in the shed because it was raining and he didn't want his seed to get ruined," his mother Candice Cooley previously told PEOPLE.

JB was served an Information complaint/summons on March 3, 2023, outlining two charges against him including:

1) AGGRAVATED MURDER, a(n) First Degree Felony, in violation of Utah Code Ann. § 765-202, and

2) ABUSE OR DESECRATION OF A HUMAN BODY, a(n) Third Degree Felony, in violation of Utah Code Ann. § 769-704.

I'm reading about a lot of concern that the charges against JB might not "stick" because he didn't make his first appearance within 72 hours of being served with the charges.

In light of these concerns, I'm sharing some information about Utah criminal procedures per the State Statutes that might be somewhat different than what viewers are familiar with.

First, it appears that Utah is similar to Colorado in that the prosecutor can file murder charges against a defendant based on Information, and charging by a grand jury indictment is not required.

Second, according to Utah criminal procedures, only for misdemeanor charges does the defendant enter a plea at the initial appearance, also known as an arraignment in Utah (typically held within 72 hours after being booked in jail).

In Utah, a defendant charged with murder does not enter a plea until after the preliminary hearing when the judge decides whether or not the state met the burden of probable cause, and the case is bound over for trial.

Since the defendant, JB, is already in custody on the unrelated felon in possession of weapons charge and is not currently eligible for bail release, I think it possible that JB waived his first appearance to hear the formal charges read to him in court, and the defense has asked for a date for the preliminary hearing. MOO

Dylan's parents believe that their son was killed within half an hour after arriving to the gate at the grain shed. JB was likely accidentally filmed in his trailer at around 7:30am. There is no more video. The parents refused to agree on a couple of plea proposals which would make JB reveal the location of Dylan's body in exchange for a lenient sentence. The family believes that Dylan can be found and will continue the effort when winter is over.

Last edited:
Dylan's parents believe that their son was killed within half an hour after arriving to the gate at the grain shed. JB was likely accidentally filmed in his trailer at around 7:30am.

Oh, my.

Dylan called JB after he called his grandma.

Dylan's parents don't know who drove the truck into the shed.

Video was from in JB's trailer. Sounds like the video was recorded on Dylan's phone. No other videos.

Sounds like EB pretty much confessed, discussions of a plea, but Dylan's parents and DA rejected.

They want Dylan found.

JMO

Dylan's parents believe that their son was killed within half an hour after arriving to the gate at the grain shed. JB was likely accidentally filmed in his trailer at around 7:30am. There is no more video. The parents refused to agree on a couple of plea proposals which would make JB reveal the location of Dylan's body in exchange for a lenient sentence. The family believes that Dylan can be found and will continue the effort when winter is over.

Wow -- sounds like EB was going to cough up a location in exchange for a plea.

Dylan's parents said no.

They want to push this all the way, don't want EB free in a few years.

I so admire their conviction.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77