UT UT - Garrett Bardsley, 12, Cuberant Lake, 20 Aug 2004

AP-128 said:
Hey. I'm 15 years old and from British Columbia, Canada. I am a former scout and in a scouting chat room I heard about Garrett and it made me feel so bad. I was born in the state of Utah so it kind of hit close to home and as a former scout it touched me. I feel so bad for the family and if I could, I would be there searching too. I really wish I could do something.

Please pray and pray often for Garrett and his family.

What a lovely post. Thank you AP for coming here and posting that.
You are doing something for Garrett.

Prayer is incredibly powerful. \o/

God bless you, AP
With HOPE, Lanie
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Garrett's family won't give up search, but vow to help others with missing children.

Dated 9/2/04 http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595088570,00.html

I remember when this first happened and I was reading the news about it on one of the online news agencys reports. One of the persons reporting said something to the effect that this type of thing (a scout getting lost in the Uintas) was a common occurrence and so it would probably be no big deal. I was thinking about how calloused that sounded, especially since it DID turn out to be a BIG deal. I just think it was uncalled for and very unfeeling to the parents of all the other children who have gone missing (to think that their child was not special or that it happened all the time, so don't have a cow about it, attitude). Prayers for Garrett's family!

I like to think that Garrett is still alive somewhere up there. I am wondering, is any of the lake/river/stream water up there drinkable? Could he be still alive if he is drinking it? What kind of vegitation grows up there?

To Garrett, his family, the searchers, and everyone praying, God bless you.

AP-128 said:
I like to think that Garrett is still alive somewhere up there. I am wondering, is any of the lake/river/stream water up there drinkable? Could he be still alive if he is drinking it? What kind of vegitation grows up there?

I don't know as far as streams, etc., but the conditions have been so bad. It's been snowing, very cold, etc. With no provisions it looks grim, but what a story it would be if he were found alive. I still think about this little guy every day....bless the family and I just hope they will find him so the family can have peace. I have learned though to teach my children if they're ever lost to stay put....it's not something I would have ever thought about before hearing this sad story. I have extreme sympathy for the father....I have to admit I would have let my child at 12 walk back to camp.

Sassy

AP-128 said:

Hi, Ap,

Welcome to websleuths. Can I give you some advise? Please don't post your age on ANY board. There are a lot of people out there that would take advantage of you if they could. We look out for each other here! :blowkiss:

Since I found out about Garrett, I felt really helpless since I can not go down and search or anything. All I could think of doing is praying and to ask others to pray too. That is why I made www.prayforgarrett.uni.cc (no way connected to the family and not collecting any money) This way, everyone can find out more about him and it asks for people to pray.

If this is illegal or anything, please tell me. I do not mean any harm out of the website and its the only thing I could think of doing. I mean do disrespect out of it.

AP, Thank you for making that site for Garrett. It was a very thoughtful and USEFUL thing to do! I am glad that there are young people like you -
it is because of you and other young people like you that we have hope!

Keep doing what you do, caring about others! You do and will make a difference!

imo

AP-128 the site you made for Garrett is wonderful, a very special tribute to his life and to hope.

Thank you for doing that!

Welcome to websleuths.

AP-128....thank you. I think about Garrett daily....have 3 little guys....such a sad deal. Feel proud for helping out...we thank you......you're helping out more than you know......

Sassy
'

AP-128--
You seem like a real sweetie. I'm sure Garrett would be so touched to know what you have done for him. May God bless you.
Karen

I'm glad that no one found any offence to it. I promise to keep the news articles and everything up to date and keep the information as accurate and possible.

AP-128 said:
I'm glad that no one found any offence to it. I promise to keep the news articles and everything up to date and keep the information as accurate and possible.
AP ~ you are doing a great job!

Trino said:
This is a wonderful article from the deseret news (9/5) about Lori Hacking and Garrett Bardsley and how families react when a person's body isn't recovered. The statement that stuck with me is, "It rains on the just and the unjust."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595089212,00.html
I didnt really like this article for some reason. I think of all the articles I read, this one really took a blow at my heart. Really I dont think anyone can even imagine the pain the Bardsley's and Hacking's are feeling unless if they went through something simular. Plus I just don't think right now was the best time for that article to be written.

But thats just my opinion.

AP-128, thank you again for your gestures for Garrett and his family.

mymission411, this is another lovely tribute to Garrett and his family. I know this will help them to find their son.

I have replied to your e-mail, and please feel free to write me anytime.
I believe everyone on this forum is concerned and praying for Garrett and his family. But it is through our youth, we are being led.

Jesus said "and a little child shall lead them".

For every scout who has reached out to Garrett and his family, I thank you. Each of you instills a renewed sense of hope in the search for their son.

Thank you again, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

:waitasec: Anybody given anythought to making "whistles on scouts" a mission in honor of Garrett?

I don't understand why every scout doesn't have an "extra" loud whistle around their neck at all times as a rule. In this case, the moment someone is disoriented, they can sit and "whistle" until help arrives.

Something good can come of something bad, perhaps this is a small thing.

Anyone know the name of the scout troop? I think my kids and I would like to mail each of them a "bear whistle", in honor of Garret.

Fran what a good idea......

There are watches for kids with GPS devices in them....I'm not sure on the price but it is good to think about when taking kids hiking/camping. My little brother was a butterfly chaser and he would get lost in the blink of an eye....one time he the police had to be called to find him.....

I have a kiddo who has "run off" for years, because he likes to run without "thinking" about it. He's a teenager now, but, we have a sort of signal with my car horn when I go looking for him.

I realize there are GPS deals, I have some objections to those, but the main one is for kiddos, the "practical" aspects. Whistles are cheap and easy to use. They don't require other technology to locate the "whistler". Whistling back and forth could be a very simple technique. For example, one of the leaders wants a head count or cant find a scout so they whistle for a response, everyone not in eyesight would respond with a "whistle back". You get the idea.

Anyway, the extra loud, plastic orange whistles that are already recommended for earthquake and other disaster supplies are around $2 bucks a pop. Very affordable, even if they are lost.

And it doesn't require any rocket science for use.

My kids all have walkie talkies, they play on the beach of the island we live on, but they often leave there radios or run the batteries down, whistles have no batteries.

Well, I'm not going to keep "selling" the idea, but again, if anyone knows how I can contact the scout troop, we'll see if we can't get "Garrett's Whistles" rolling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back