UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #2

April 17, 2024

KAMAS, Utah (KUTV) — Prosecutors in the Kouri Richins murder case have asked the judge to compel her divorce attorney to come forward with new information.

They claimed Richins consulted the attorney two months before the death of her husband, Eric Richins, and said those communications are relevant to the state's case.

The motion, filed on April 11, calls on the judge to compel attorney Marie Bramwell to comply with a subpoena to produce “any and all records related to Kouri Darden Richins’ consultation with Marie Bramwell in connection with a possible divorce from Eric Eugene Richins, to include, without limitation, scheduling records, billing records, intake forms, correspondence, and meeting notes.”

April 17, 2024

KAMAS, Utah (KUTV) — Prosecutors in the Kouri Richins murder case have asked the judge to compel her divorce attorney to come forward with new information.

They claimed Richins consulted the attorney two months before the death of her husband, Eric Richins, and said those communications are relevant to the state's case.

The motion, filed on April 11, calls on the judge to compel attorney Marie Bramwell to comply with a subpoena to produce “any and all records related to Kouri Darden Richins’ consultation with Marie Bramwell in connection with a possible divorce from Eric Eugene Richins, to include, without limitation, scheduling records, billing records, intake forms, correspondence, and meeting notes.”
Also from the article:

They also said this information directly contradicts statements made by Richins’ defense attorney Skye Lazaro, who told CBS’ 48 Hours, “Eric and Kouri were probably at the best place they had ever been with their marriage and seemed genuinely happy with each other.”

April 17, 2024

Woweeeeee.... This case is o_O. Kouri was consulting with a divorce attorney? I'll bet she established that murder was the only way to go if she wanted anything from Eric. Stupid thing is, Eric might have readily agreed with it.

April 17, 2024

Also from the quoted link:

Former prosecutor Nathan Evershed, who is not connected to the case, said prosecutors will have a hard time convincing the judge this information is worth breaking attorney/client privilege.

Evershed said, “I think there are a number of hurdles in a case like this and with a motion like this.”

First, he said prosecutors will have to prove the information is connected to the murder case.

“They’re going to have to establish the relevancy of it, and I think there is going to be a pretty good defense argument saying it’s just not relevant,” Evershed said.

In CA's missing person Maya Millete case, presumed deceased and murdered by her husband-- because she was preparing to divorce him, we saw similar arguments by the defense during the preliminary hearing.

IIRC, a staff member from the divorce attorney's firm testified during the preliminary hearing that the attorney's office contacted the police when they learned she was missing because of the phone call they had with Maya the day before she was reported missing.

The witness testified that Maya wanted a virtual appointment because she was afraid her husband would follow her or find out she'd consulted with a divorce attorney.

Granted, although the divorce attorney did not testify, the state found a work around to admit the evidence and also an employee from the law firm as a witness.

In this case, I think they might be able to go the "discredit the defendant's witnesses route" to admit the divorce evidence where there's been statements by all of KR's family including her attorney proclaiming there were no problems in the marriage, and that they were in a good place on the date ER was murdered.

Thank you for sharing this article. I wasn't aware of the lover at all before this article. From this affidavit, it seems like there's now two motives: life insurance money and cheating.

Sorry if my comments have been discussed earlier, but these details were new to me too.

"She initially told investigators she thought a THC gummy Eric took contained the fentanyl that killed him.

But prosecutors said the medical examiner did not find any THC in Eric’s system. The medical examiner did find quetiapine, an antipsychotic also used as a sleep aid, which Kouri was prescribed."

Suggesting that a weed edible, of all things, would be laced with fentanyl is strange IMO. Never heard of fentanyl in gummy form, only pill or powder. When you hear of fentanyl poisonings, also, the laced drugs aren't usually THC (especially in a state where weed is, at least partially, legal), they're usually oxys or meth. IMO she's grasping at straws, trying to see what sticks. Also ironic that she was born on 4/20.

Her prescription in his system makes her look all the more guilty IMO, too. Even if he asked her for one, that's still delivery of a controlled substance.

However, she COULD say that he was stealing the pills from her bottles.

Well, that’s what she did say, but we all know that was nonsense. And there was no lethal dose of whatever that substance was that was her prescription. And, haha, she can’t say he stole her fentanyl, because that would be……check mate.

And that she was addicted to it as well?
Its a pretty big dose to be driving around working, caring for family.. and he died, so it wasn't that he was tolerant to that much. If he'd been taking he'd know what he could take, she'd have seen him high before.
Edit, the fentanyl in his body wasn't medical grade, it was a street drug, so then she'd have to admit to using illegal drugs and leaving them where her husband could access them. When its clear from dealer than this was only within 3 months of her getting it too, January, just before the valentines event and then in march, just before his death. How is that explainable?

I'm so curious to know what KR's excuse is to where all the fentanyl she purchased went, if not in ER's food/drink. Or will the defense just try to somehow claim that KR never purchased the drugs. I'm SOOO eager for this trial!!

Maybe she’ll claim buying the fentanyl was just research for her soon to be #1 best selling novel.
ETA: Still doesn’t explain how he ended up ingesting it. I think she really did put it in his drink. I just can’t figure out why she admitted she made him a drink, yet there was no empty glass. If she went to bed immediately after or while he was still drinking it, as she said, there should have been a glass .

Last edited:
Isn't the dealer who delivered it to her known to prosecutors?
yes, but given that person's checkered past and pending legal issues, one might expect KR's lawyers to argue she's not a credible witness. that said, i believe there is evidence tying KR to that witness, including text messages and/or other digital forensics. so not sure how viable that path is for the defense.

yes, but given that person's checkered past and pending legal issues, one might expect KR's lawyers to argue she's not a credible witness. that said, i believe there is evidence tying KR to that witness, including text messages and/or other digital forensics. so not sure how viable that path is for the defense.
There were evidently several witnesses in the chain, including suppliers, so not all depends on that particular witness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back