UT UT - Salt Lake City, WhtFem 20-40, UP6947, handmade clothing, jewelry, pen bracelet, Sep'86

Weirdly I had exact same silly bracelet which turned into pen just in different colour. I don't know in US but I don't think they were popular in Europe as I have not seen it ever before or after that. It was given to me and I never wore that, albeit it was amusing gift.

I had one of these in the 80s as a kid in the US.

ETA: Google "80s pen bracelet" for many nostalgic examples.

She was wearing a silver ring with a centered black stone and an advance watch with a black band.

I wonder if there would be enough contact DNA on the ring, maybe inside up under the stones, or inside the watch band to be able to generate a profile. They can do amazing things these days with even tiny amounts of DNA.

ETA, if the toothbrush and comb were hers and have been stored properly they should be able to do something with them.

(Snipped for focus)

Clothing with body
A blue and white dress was found on the West canal bank. The dress was photographed and recovered. The dress was 12 feet off the East edge of the roadway and 37 paces north of a utility pole marked "PTT LPP 8/5/85, 4 45."
Dress appears to be homemade, has a cardboard tag on it with the #10 written on it, no other tags or markings.

(was dress found year prior or is 85 typo and it was found one month prior? It seems she was wearing blouse with lace, so somewhat similar to the dress found - with lace. Maybe she made both and dress was intended for sale, hence cardboard tag.)

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6947

I thought the date went with the utility pole marker. In the US, each pole usually has a permanent tag with coded information about the owner, when the pole was placed, when the line needs maintenance, etc. The shape, material and content vary widely.

Here's a typical pole with two tags: https://goo.gl/images/YBAhZb

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I thought the date went with the utility pole marker. In the US, each pole usually has a permanent tag with coded information about the owner, when the pole was placed, when the line needs maintenance, etc. The shape, material and content vary widely.

Here's a typical pole with two tags: https://goo.gl/images/YBAhZb

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

That would make sense even though 8/5/85 looked like date to me. Still a bit strange that dress was on the canal bank and she was floating nearby. I don't recall cause of death so wonder if she could have slipped into water. Though fully dressed it is a bit strange too that she had no bra or underwear.

That would make sense even though 8/5/85 looked like date to me. Still a bit strange that dress was on the canal bank and she was floating nearby. I don't recall cause of death so wonder if she could have slipped into water. Though fully dressed it is a bit strange too that she had no bra or underwear.

It probably is a date. They use those metal tags for things like marking the last time the line was serviced, or the date when the pole was installed.

Bumping due to August being Utah Cold Case month. No new rule outs...

So absolutely saddening to me that she was cremated. I realize it was a different time back then, but still...

Ruleouts from NamUs:

Nancy Baird 1952 Utah
Debra Frost 1967 Utah
Theresa Geaves 1959 Utah
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Sandra Matott 1942 Utah
Linda Peterson 1949 Utah
Marlene Puchuskie 1952 Utah
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Sally Stone 1964 Idaho
Sheree Warren 1960 Utah
Joyce Yost 1946 Utah

Updated link: Unidentified Person Case

No new ruleouts.

There's a park in SLC that has the workers dress in period clothing. I wonder if LE asked around there. The park is called This is the place. It's significant to the early LDS church as it is where Brigham Young stood and declared the Saints to be home after the trek across the plains.

Concerning the dress. What is handmade? Hand stitched? Not made by a taylor? Not mass produced? The reason I ask is because it seems to me that period clothing worn in a theme park, because it's just a replica, would not be hand stitched. But I could be wrong. Maybe they are. It probably varies from park to park. I'm sure some are more authentic than others.
The #10 could refer to a dress size or length. I don't know how these people live but if they live in groups it's possible that they share clothes and don't have custom made ones. Maybe just standard sizes. You toss your dirty dress in the laundry and grab a #10 because that's the one that best fits. Just a thought.

Don't know why my reply above showed up like that. It keeps showing up as part of the quote. Oh well. Let's see if it does it again.

Handmade in clothing doesn't have to be hand stitched. Often it's made with a home sewing machine.

Home machines are quite different from commercial ones and a person familiar with them can usually tell just by looking at the stitches which kind of machine a particular item of clothing was produced on. The material might be cut differently, the seams might be trimmed or finished differently, the collar and sleeves are often set differently, the hem is usually different.

But you're right, there is quite a range of what's possible.

Way way back in high school, I participated in an event where we all wore pioneer dress (blouses and skirts); we each made our own from the same pattern from material that the coordinator chose. So they were basically the same but with some variation.

Ruleouts from NamUs:

Nancy Baird 1952 Utah
Debra Frost 1967 Utah
Theresa Geaves 1959 Utah
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Sandra Matott 1942 Utah
Linda Peterson 1949 Utah
Marlene Puchuskie 1952 Utah
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Sally Stone 1964 Idaho
Sheree Warren 1960 Utah
Joyce Yost 1946 Utah

No new ruleouts. I think there are a couple of additional pictures of the dress.

This is so heartbreaking, and to think maybe nobody reported her missing. I wonder what her cause of death was if there was no stabbing or gunshots. Maybe strangulation or blunt force trauma?
I really hope there's something new soon

If they think she may be FLDS then I wonder why they haven't reached out to people that have left to see if they can identify her. Im wondering if she was in the process of getting out hence the dress and jeans and blouse.

Looks like a costume from a Pioneer event, general Ye Olden Days dress-up.

JMHO YMMV LRR

Her clothing looks very similar to FLDS clothing. She may have been part of a polygamist group and that is why she was not reported missing.
I agree 100% this to be the case. I also believe she escaped or was trying to.

I don't think that the dress would have anything to do with This is the Place Heritage Park. My recollection is that they didn't start doing any kind of interactive demonstration type activities at the park that would have required someone to dress in old Pioneer clothing until the mid to late 90's. They do a lot of that now of course, but even those outfits don't look much like the pioneer outfits of the dates that the park represents.
The dress does look much like the FLDS dresses that are still worn today, though I don't think I've seen one with dots in a very long time.
I'm curious if there are any measurements for the dress that anyone has found and though I realize that the dress was found near her there isn't really anything that actually connects the dress TO her. From the photos it looks like it is in very good condition. There had been some thunderstorms etc throughout September of 86 but the dress doesn't appear to have any water damage, nor does it look bleached as if it had been out in the sun for a few months.

Edit: There were also some thunderstorms with precipitation in the four weeks before she was found.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back