UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dom - Domestic Violence is not a marital problem and shouldn't be treated as such. It's very dangerous to put a couple into "marital/couples counseling" when there is abuse suspected. Marital counseling assumes that there are issues with both individuals that jointly worked with, can enhance and improve the marriage. Here is a link to a copy of a report written by a licensed clinical psychologist listing the reasons why marital counseling should never be used in a suspected abusive marriage, it's very interesting folks:

http://unrighteous-dominion.com/?p=105

BBM
imo you can't get much better than this! The reasons that are given to avoid marital/couple therapy are EXCELLENT! The Dr. sure isn't letting the abuser off the hook in any shape or form - this article gives the sole responsibility of abusing and getting help TO the abuser. Thanks for this!

And if you know there is abuse happening in a marriage, then you try and help. But how do you know, if neither party says anything?

To my knowledge, there isn't a single one of their friends that have used the word "abuse" when describing their marriage. They've said he was controlling, and strange. But they haven't said, "I could see him doing this, because he was abusing her."

None of her friends were able to use hindsight in evaluating the situation. They probably all thought the marriage was at best off. But I doubt a single one of them said, "You know, I worry she might turn up missing or killed one day."
Dom - That's VERY observant on your part. Most women do not have a "name" for what they are going through. I have found that time and time again. They didn't know WHAT it was they were going through... only that it wasn't normal. The abuser psychologically tries to put the victim in a state that they start to really wonder what's going on in their own reality. It's called "crazymaking". You are so right..... I'm certain a lot of people did not know what it was that Susan was going through. What I would like to see is that when a woman does go to her bishop (add any church leader in any religion) that the bishop is able to determine after just 3 or 4 sessions that the woman needs to see a professional counselor that can then determine if this is an abuse issue. Once a woman "names" what she is going through... and only then... can progress be made. Honestly, I applaud you for recognizing that people didn't know... what it was that was happening to Susan....

When Jane says hoping for a happy ending, I noticed Susans dad shook his head no.
I think LE told him there is no hope of an alive Susan. Mr. Cox has accepted it, but wants her back for burial.......JMOO

Mr. Cox is on Jane V-M right now.
He says he did not know that Susan wanted a divorce from Josh as hr friend claimed.
He wanted to go, but JP huddled in a group protected by unbrellas.
Rachael Marini is the friend, she states JP increasingly controlling and they fought.
Grandpa wanted to walk over and see little Charlie, but thought it inappropriate at that time.
Dog the Bounty hunter stated JP murdered his wife.
GP saying Josh is "under pressure", but saying he now wants answers since JP is with family, and he wants to find his daughter and wants a viable story from Josh.
Blue cap interview replayed. He looks so befuddled and confused! Making up his story, they are saying.
Jane wants to know why is there not a video tape somewhere? (Good question Jane!) No one knows on the show.
Poor Mr. Cox, he looks so haggard, and stressed, like he hasn't slept for a week. I feel so badly for him - he seems to be such a nice man, very courteous and a gentleman.
Nothing really new here.
Come on Josh, please just tell us where her body is!! :sick:

To me abuse doesn't have to mean a beating. Abuse can be emotional, psychological and mental. Yes there are lots of women that suffer at the hands of those kind of abuse and stay silent. I agree with omegal. Abuse cannot be resolved with some good counselling. If a person belittles you, calls you names, controls your whole life then that person is a and probably has developed this as a learned behavior. You may try a round of counseling but if they don't change I'm ditching the idiot. I don't want my kids to even see that.

Too many people try to stay and it ends in disaster or they fail to really get to know the person they are dating or ignore warning signs. Not that anyone is to blame if they get killed by a spouse, just a little perspective.

To me abuse doesn't have to mean a beating. Abuse can be emotional, psychological and mental. Yes there are lots of women that suffer at the hands of those kind of abuse and stay silent. I agree with omegal. Abuse cannot be resolved with some good counselling. If a person belittles you, calls you names, controls your whole life then that person is a and probably has developed this as a learned behavior. You may try a round of counseling but if they don't change I'm ditching the idiot. I don't want my kids to even see that.

Too many people try to stay and it ends in disaster or they fail to really get to know the person they are dating or ignore warning signs. Not that anyone is to blame if they get killed by a spouse, just a little perspective.

Living with this type of person is like walking on egg shells, you never know what might make this person mad. It could be that you ironed a shirt wrong,
didn't mop the floor to suit them, talked to long on the phone, you just never know! Get out ladies if you are in this type of marriage!!!
Maybe we need a thread on ABUSE to save someone like Susan!

Abuse and the abuser are no more a "marital problem" than alcoholism and the alcoholic are a "marital problem". It's the abuser's problem....

Can we put that on a bumper sticker. ( :

control_wheel.gif

Well - it took me a little while but I found all the links to the 3 earlier posts/rumors

<snip of really long post>
-I personally know Josh. I worked with him and his wife at Homenet Real Estate. I specifically remember a training class we had when his kids were crying and he went totally ape $#%^ on her in front of everyone because she wouldn't keep them quiet.
-Someone should take a look into his DEX advertising account. A couple of years ago he sent out a massive advertising campaign where his face was on a magnet on everyone's phonebooks that were sent out. It cost something like $60,000 or $80,000 or something crazy like that. He sat and bragged to all of us other agents about how smart he was because DEX bills after the campaign so if he tried it and he didn'g get any business he just wouldn't pay.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9088937&comments=true

The 'hangup on police officer' post (portions)

was called on his cell by an officer....hung up on him in the late afternoon....Josh arrived home....police were...waiting.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9077062&comments=true

Josh went to Pierce Community College (ETA -- see comments)

http://puyallup.komonews.com/content/attorney-husband-missing-puyallup-woman-submits-dna

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4591386&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I starte an abuse thread for all those that would like to add to it.
This is a bad time of year for allot of people.
Let's hope we can help someone out there.

Just looking through some of Amanda's photos on her handy, dandy Photobucket link, and I saw something I hadn't seen before. It's from the article in Sunday's Salt Lake Tribune: "Chuck Cox said he bought his daughter a cell phone when she moved to Utah so she could use it for emergencies. Joshua Powell knew about the phone, he said, but he and Judy paid the bill each month to ensure his daughter had a way to call them.

"We wanted her to be able to call us whenever she wanted -- just on the off chance that if something ever got really weird -- we wanted to cover all of our bases so she could call us for help," he said.

That seems pretty telling. I'm not sure how I missed the article. Does anyone know if that was the only cell phone Susan had - the one that was left on the bed when she was missing? I wonder what the story was about how that ended up getting purchased - if it was in response to a specific circumstance, or if was just the general feel of the marriage that he had.

Abuse and the abuser are no more a "marital problem" than alcoholism and the alcoholic are a "marital problem". It's the abuser's problem....

Can we put that on a bumper sticker. ( :

control_wheel.gif

Congrats on your 100th post....great wheel......wish I had seen that 20 years ago!!!

Well - it took me a little while but I found all the links to the 3 earlier posts/rumors

<snip of really long post>
-I personally know Josh. I worked with him and his wife at Homenet Real Estate. I specifically remember a training class we had when his kids were crying and he went totally ape $#%^ on her in front of everyone because she wouldn't keep them quiet.
-Someone should take a look into his DEX advertising account. A couple of years ago he sent out a massive advertising campaign where his face was on a magnet on everyone's phonebooks that were sent out. It cost something like $60,000 or $80,000 or something crazy like that. He sat and bragged to all of us other agents about how smart he was because DEX bills after the campaign so if he tried it and he didn'g get any business he just wouldn't pay.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9088937&comments=true

The 'hangup on police officer' post (portions)

was called on his cell by an officer....hung up on him in the late afternoon....Josh arrived home....police were...waiting.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9077062&comments=true

Josh went to Pierce Community College

http://puyallup.komonews.com/content/attorney-husband-missing-puyallup-woman-submits-dna

Taken from the last link:

"Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, said police found a wet spot in the home being dried by two fans, but police have declined to comment on that."

Honestly - can anyone believe he is still walking around?

Just looking through some of Amanda's photos on her handy, dandy Photobucket link, and I saw something I hadn't seen before. It's from the article in Sunday's Salt Lake Tribune: "Chuck Cox said he bought his daughter a cell phone when she moved to Utah so she could use it for emergencies. Joshua Powell knew about the phone, he said, but he and Judy paid the bill each month to ensure his daughter had a way to call them.

"We wanted her to be able to call us whenever she wanted -- just on the off chance that if something ever got really weird -- we wanted to cover all of our bases so she could call us for help," he said.

That seems pretty telling. I'm not sure how I missed the article. Does anyone know if that was the only cell phone Susan had - the one that was left on the bed when she was missing? I wonder what the story was about how that ended up getting purchased - if it was in response to a specific circumstance, or if was just the general feel of the marriage that he had.
It's been discussed before but I think that Susan's dad knew that Josh controlled Susan's money and didn't want that to interfere with her being able to make a call. My X would never let us have a home phone and he would only pay for his and his son's phone. (he wanted to make sure his son always picked up the phone immediately if he called him) Phones are the perfect "control" vehicle....

Joy Bayhar on HLN just mentioned Susan, she may have a segment on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp.52203