GUILTY UT - Three Scout leaders for destroying Goblin Valley rock formation, Emery Co., 2013

Wow, I live near a lot of natural cave and rock formations. Why anyone would think they had the right to do something like this is ridiculous. Surely they knew the law! You are not supposed to move or remove a single pebble. JMO

Dave Hall has always bugged the carp out of me, now I can be justified in my dislike.

And the guy who filed a disability claim two weeks before knocking over a boulder? Birds of a feather.

Dave Hall has always bugged the carp out of me, now I can be justified in my dislike.

And the guy who filed a disability claim two weeks before knocking over a boulder? Birds of a feather.

Me too!! LOL!! :floorlaugh:

Woot woot! Way to destroy a natural rock formation, broheims! High fives up high and down low!

Yes, that was the first stupid moment, but filming, YouTubing it, Facebooking it, then trying to justify it was even funnier, and then the lawsuit followthrough just really gave this whole story that extra bit of zing for me! :floorlaugh:

Here are the other "just rocks" I want to visit when I go see Uluru some day:

681x454.jpg

Did you know they're connected underground? Excuse the wrong names listed on the diagram :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Schema_Kata_Tjuta_Uluru.png

am i missing something here,its a rock?

I love all the formations posted :)

Granted, the rock these idiots toppled is not a very big rock, lol. But the US and other recently colonized wild places have incredibly old and fascinating geology, etc, that indigenous folks tended to respect. So we are fortunate that we can see ancient formations that are still intact even though they may be small! It's really cool.

It might also feel different to those growing up in places with more modern tribes than Europe has now. The tribal take on certain natural places being sacred (in various ways) probably rubs off on us :)

(I know it rubs off on me, because my grandparents were native, lol. But I think it does in general, too.)

Wow, I had no idea about that, that's so cool!

More rocks I want to see in person - Giant's Causeway, in N. Ireland:

ht_giants_01_090623_ssh.jpg

Those are freaking amazing! I hadn't heard of those, I had to look them up online. They look man-made, don't they? Who knew rocks could be so cool.

Stay away from Giant's Causeway, Dave Hall and Glenn Taylor.

Does anyone know if people are allowed to climb around on the rock formations, or were the guys off limits to even be on the rocks? He didn't seem to strain very hard in pushing the rock off the thin column. They should not have done it, but formations like that don't seem safe.

the parks here including the 5 national parks people can hike all over, you just need to know your limits. there is a very beautiful area at the ut, az boarder called the wave, all formed from the wind it's sandstone it's hard like rock three people died there in one month i think this past july? it's a 5mi hike but some miss judged. only 20 people a day are allowed in this area. the point is there will be the next generation that will have a right to see these amazing formations. http://www.utah.com/image/lf/transparent-play.png
jmo
ciao

the parks here including the 5 national parks people can hike all over, you just need to know your limits. there is a very beautiful area at the ut, az boarder called the wave, all formed from the wind it's sandstone it's hard like rock three people died there in one month i think this past july? it's a 5mi hike but some miss judged. only 20 people a day are allowed in this area. the point is there will be the next generation that will have a right to see these amazing formations. http://www.utah.com/image/lf/transparent-play.png
jmo
ciao

BBM. I didn't know that! How interesting. I'm learning a lot from this thread!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57086126-78/hall-astel-rock-goblin.html.csp

Utah goblin toppler’s uncle was killed by falling boulder
Investigation » Placing a value on the rock formation has held up filing charges, officials say.

By Jim Dalrymple II | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Nov 06 2013 01:01 am • Last Updated Nov 06 2013 08:34 am

"Just as Michael Astel stepped around a bend in a Colorado trail, a boulder "about the size of a washing machine" broke from its perch, knocked him to a ledge and crushed him.

"He said, ‘I’m dying,’ " recalled Debra Woolley, who was married to Astel at the time, of the 1982 "freak accident." A minute later, he was gone.

"Hall added that immediately during the initial furor over his video, he told several TV stations about his uncle’s death but they never aired the footage."

"The investigation into Hall and Taylor is ongoing and could be turned over to the Emery County attorney’s office by the end of the week, Smith said. The investigation has dragged on, he continued, because officials have struggled to put a value on the toppled rock formation.

"The challenge obviously is no place out there selling goblins and hoodoos," Smith said. "Nobody has goblins and hoodoos on eBay.""

More...

Missed this one from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57034653-78/video-goblin-hall-rock.html.csp

Goblin topplers video removed after Utahn files copyright claim
First Published Oct 23 2013 03:09 pm • Last Updated Oct 24 2013 09:50 am

"The Goblin Valley topplers video, which sparked outrage across the Internet, is disappearing.

By Wednesday afternoon the video posted by The Salt Lake Tribune Oct. 17 had been removed from YouTube. In its place, the video hosting site displayed a short message: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Dave Hall.""

"According to Hall, "a whole lot of people have pirated" personal information. He removed the video because he hopes it will help the controversy surrounding the rock toppling subside.

"There’s consequences for me doing something wrong, so there should be for everyone else, too," he added."

As usual, more...

jmo
ciao
The only problem is that with only 20 permits a day, some of this generation doesn't have the right to see these amazing formations.

Missed this one from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57034653-78/video-goblin-hall-rock.html.csp

Goblin topplers video removed after Utahn files copyright claim
First Published Oct 23 2013 03:09 pm • Last Updated Oct 24 2013 09:50 am

"The Goblin Valley topplers video, which sparked outrage across the Internet, is disappearing.

By Wednesday afternoon the video posted by The Salt Lake Tribune Oct. 17 had been removed from YouTube. In its place, the video hosting site displayed a short message: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Dave Hall.""

"According to Hall, "a whole lot of people have pirated" personal information. He removed the video because he hopes it will help the controversy surrounding the rock toppling subside.

"There’s consequences for me doing something wrong, so there should be for everyone else, too," he added."

As usual, more...

Oh he's kidding right .. off to download it and keep it forever, can't stand this guy. OH and SUUUUUURE he did it because his uncle died from falling rocks, what a JERK!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back