UT - Tony & Katherine Butterfield, murdered at home, West Jordan, 18 Apr 2020

Wife says husband wanted to work for Utah couple he’s accused of killing

Snippets from the article in Deseret News:

"Sina Johnson eventually admitted that her husband “was familiar” with the Butterfields because her husband had attempted to get a job with their company, according to charging documents."

“Albert told her that someone stabbed him and that his life was over. He showered, changed his clothes and left the apartment,” according to charging documents."

"When she found out her husband was involved in the killings, she took his bloody clothes to the garbage and “cleaned her apartment because there was blood downstairs, on the hallway walls and in the bathroom,” the charges state"

"Albert Johnson remained in custody in California on Thursday. West Jordan officers were traveling to Stockton on Wednesday to interview Johnson and extradite him back to Utah."
BBM: So he killed them because they did not hire him?! Lots of people apply for jobs they don't get hired for! Cope with it, you don't kill the people who don't hire you . I mean come on.

BBM: So he killed them because they did not hire him?! Lots of people apply for jobs they don't get hired for! Cope with it, you don't kill the people who don't hire you . I mean come on.
There's got to be more of a reason, is what my sane mind tells me. Then the dark, cynical side whispers, "No there doesn't". Honestly, I just can't fathom the depravity of an act like this.:(

Wife says husband wanted to work for Utah couple he’s accused of killing

Snippets from the article in Deseret News:

"Sina Johnson eventually admitted that her husband “was familiar” with the Butterfields because her husband had attempted to get a job with their company, according to charging documents."

“Albert told her that someone stabbed him and that his life was over. He showered, changed his clothes and left the apartment,” according to charging documents."

"When she found out her husband was involved in the killings, she took his bloody clothes to the garbage and “cleaned her apartment because there was blood downstairs, on the hallway walls and in the bathroom,” the charges state"

"Albert Johnson remained in custody in California on Thursday. West Jordan officers were traveling to Stockton on Wednesday to interview Johnson and extradite him back to Utah."
Nice of Sina Johnson to cover for him.
*sarcasm intended*
Odd how sometimes a criminal will have an innocent appearance belying the realities of their acts; but in this case both perps' look like brutes.
Wonder if they've committed other crimes in the past and haven't been caught yet ?
Maybe this was a robbery gone wrong ?
Watch-- the perps' will "spin" this to portray the victims as flaunting their wealth or refusing to hire him for whatever reason.
There are a lot of people out of work right now.
Maybe the perps are also injustice collectors ?

Rest in peace to Tony and Katherine Butterfield !

Last edited:

Normally I'd think there was more to this story. However, during this time of desperate unemployment for so many.....maybe not?

According to the Court TV video, he was known in Sacto as "Psycho Al" and had plethora of crimes, arrests / convictions including assault and battery, spent 4 years in prison.
Thanks, that somewhat answers my questions.
He doesn't sound like he'd be a 'good employee' for anyone.
Maybe he ostensibly went to get work just to case the house for a future robbery?

And pretended to be in a rage b/c they weren't hiring ?
Many places of employment aren't hiring right now.
Sounds as simple as a loser who was behaving as he normally did.
"Normal" for him, anyway.

And now three little children have to grow up without their parents. :(

Thanks, that somewhat answers my questions.
He doesn't sound like he'd be a 'good employee' for anyone.
Maybe he ostensibly went to get work just to case the house for a future robbery?

And pretended to be in a rage b/c they weren't hiring ?
Many places of employment aren't hiring right now.
Sounds as simple as a loser who was behaving as he normally did.
"Normal" for him, anyway.

And now three little children have to grow up without their parents. :(
I'm thinking he is just a rage-filled person. He's claiming he was looking for a job - in the middle of the night with a gun! On the other hand, he's not giving his defense attorney much to work with ("I wanted a job at 1 am, so I snuck/bashed in their back door with a gun because I couldn't find a copy of my resume?"). I don't mean to make light of this - he looks like he has been a menace for a long time and he is off the streets - hopefully for good - but sometimes I love a dumb criminal.

For anyone looking for something positive here - I can't post because of TOS, but there is a fund raiser for the kids and it looks like they are surrounded by and already taken in by a huge and loving extended family. It looks like the very best outcome this senseless crime could have. Info on fundraiser in this article:

Last edited:
Friday, April 24th:
*Initial Hearing (@ am PT) – UT/CA – Tony (31) & Katherine Crane Butterfield (30) (April 18, 2020, West Jordan, apparent home invasion) - only for *Albert Enoch Johnson (31) wanted (4/20/20) for questioning, arrested (4/22/20 in Stockton by U.S. Marshalls). Held without bail.
4/24/20 Update: Initial hearing in Stockton, CA.
*Sina Anne Johnson (29) arrested (4/20/20) & charged (4/23/20) with 2nd degree obstruction of justice & 3rd degree tampering with evidence. $100K bond.
DA #20007673 Salt Lake County
The attack on Tony and Katherine took place at the back of the home, police said. Tony was found shot to death in the backyard, Katherine in the back doorway.

West Jordan murder suspect to remain in California until at least next week

The man accused of murdering a West Jordan couple will remain in a California jail until at least next week as authorities work to bring him back to Utah.
Albert Johnson, 31, appeared in San Joaquin County, California court Friday afternoon and was appointed a public defender.
He remains in custody on a warrant for aggravated murder and is scheduled to be back in court on Monday for an extradition hearing.
Court records indicate that Albert Johnson applied for a job with the Butterfield’s landscaping company, but police have not revealed any possible motive for the crime.

Monday, April 27th:
*Extradition Hearing (@ am PT) – UT/CA – Tony (31) & Katherine Crane Butterfield (30) (April 18, 2020, West Jordan, apparent home invasion) – only for *Albert Enoch Johnson (31) wanted (4/20/20) for questioning, arrested (4/22/20 in Stockton by U.S. Marshalls) on a fugitive warrant for 2 counts of aggravated murder, 1 count of aggravated burglary & 1 count of obstruction of justice. Held without bail. San Joaquin County / Salt Lake County
4/24/20 Update: Initial hearing in Stockton, CA. & will remain in a California jail until at least next week as authorities work to bring him back to Utah. Johnson appeared in San Joaquin County, Ca. court Friday afternoon & was appointed a public defender. He remains in custody on a warrant for aggravated murder & is scheduled to be back in court on Monday, 4/27 for an extradition hearing.
*Sina Anne Johnson (29) arrested (4/20/20) & charged (4/23/20) with 2nd degree obstruction of justice & 3rd degree tampering with evidence. $100K bond. Salt Lake County
The attack on Tony and Katherine took place at the back of the home, police said. Tony was found shot to death in the backyard, Katherine in the back doorway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back