VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that everyone knows who she is, people are going to figure out who her kid is, too. I can't imagine any school voluntarily taking this child now.

Yeah, I know, stranger things have happened.

Public schools can't pick and choose, can they?
Imagine you find out your new student shot the last teacher. Imagine finding out the class bully actually shot his last teacher.
Don't the teachers/staff and students' parents have ay say in this besides quitting or pulling their child out of school?
I think we need better solutions because a violent child who shot his teacher at age 6 is NOT normal by a long shot.

Public schools can't pick and choose, can they?
Imagine you find out your new student shot the last teacher. Imagine finding out the class bully actually shot his last teacher.
Don't the teachers/staff and students' parents have ay say in this besides quitting or pulling their child out of school?
I think we need better solutions because a violent child who shot his teacher at age 6 is NOT normal by a long shot.
Correct, public schools can't pick and choose their students, however, this is an exceptional case. If parents found out this child is in their child's classroom, they have every right to (IMO) protest that. I wonder if the school admin would then be able to push this family out of the school. I just don't know what the laws are and if there IS a law for this. I would assume he would no longer be able to attend this school district, but I don't know. it's going to follow him wherever he goes, for the rest of his life.

Correct, public schools can't pick and choose their students, however, this is an exceptional case. If parents found out this child is in their child's classroom, they have every right to (IMO) protest that. I wonder if the school admin would then be able to push this family out of the school. I just don't know what the laws are and if there IS a law for this. I would assume he would no longer be able to attend this school district, but I don't know. it's going to follow him wherever he goes, for the rest of his life.

I don't know what the laws might be nor do I know if they can vary. However, there's this case of parents protesting (Jan 2023) in Kentucky regarding a student (with a kill list) returning, and I don't know the final result of this...

Boone County parents concerned as student returns to high school after making threats

“As a father of a child on the active kill list, my statements will reflect my opinions based on the information I received from Conner High School. When I received a call from the principal, it was emotionally devastating. All I could think about was my child in danger when they did nothing wrong,” parent, Rob Bidleman said."

more at link

May vary from state to state, but there are generally policies for exclusion -- works for chicken pox, COVID 19, and can be used for behavior issues -- able to return when released by a licensed physician.

jmho ymmv lrr

There are inpatient and outpatient residential treatment programs. John Doe would benefit from specialized services and staff in that setting. Putting him back in a regular school setting isn't going to help anyone, especially him.

From a child centered perspective, John Doe would be best served in a contained setting. There isn't a school team that I know, that would recommend anything else. The mother could rail, and take the school district to court, judge wouldn't even blink.

Many years ago, IIRC in the 1990s, there was a state, again IIRC Alabama, that permanently banned a teenage student from its entire public school system. This story was profiled on "60 Minutes", with the boy's name and picture and that of his mother, used. I have no idea what happened to this boy; most likely, he's long deceased.

A decade before that, my brother had a "friend" who we knew was a very bad influence, and that he wasn't going to school. My father found out that he had been permanently expelled from our local school district (he was over 16 years old, FWIW) and had access to finding out why but decided he didn't want to know.

My dad was the guidance counselor at our junior high school in my small hometown, but he was given duties that would usually be assigned to a vice principal — doling out punishment, responding to the school to meet officers when the security alarm went off in the middle of the night, you name it. (I think it was because he was a man, honestly.)

Anyway… I was talking to him about this case, and he told me about a student who was expelled from a neighboring school district because he brought a gun to school and his family wanted to enroll him at my dad’s school. My dad was able to deny his enrollment. This would’ve been back in the 90s, though. Things probably worked a bit differently back then. Our state (South Carolina) also has publicly funded alternative school options available (in most counties — but not all). We also have a military boarding school that requires a tuition, but students are allowed to apply for financial aid and the first year’s amount is based on family income. But that’s only for students in grades 7-12.

There may not be many options for younger students in VA, but I definitely feel this particular 6-year-old student needs to have a school employee with him at all times and be placed in a self-contained environment going forward.

Last edited:
@MissBeaE

A bench trial for Deja Taylor, the mother of the six-year old who shot first grade teacher Abby Zwerner, has been set for August 15th at 10 am in Newport News, Virginia.

Why a bench trial, you ask?
Why is there only 4 people that show up for a town hall meeting at school?

The sshhhhhshh -ing of the people....that's why. IMO
smh

Why a bench trial, you ask?
Why is there only 4 people that show up for a town hall meeting at school?

The sshhhhhshh -ing of the people....that's why. IMO
smh
Yep, a bench trial. Is a deal already in place?

During the hearing, her charges were read and a date for a bench trial was set for Aug.15.

Of course she does....
:rolleyes:

ETA: IMO, this is a poor excuse for Child Neglect...

How many women suffer from miscarriage and PPD, and don't neglect their children?

It's just a bit preposterous for me...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members