VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article: "Her attorney, James Ellenson, said his client wants to reach a plea agreement with prosecutors and hopes they will consider what he called “mitigating circumstances.” He cited a number of miscarriages the woman had, including one following an ectopic pregnancy that resulted in a hospital stay in January 2022. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when a pregnancy develops outside the uterus, often in a fallopian tube. Ellenson said the miscarriages resulted in post-partum depression."

So post-partum depression and multiple miscarriages are the mitigating circumstances for allowing a loaded weapon to be in reach of a child?

This isn't off to a good start. Mother is taking sleeping pills, the night before court. The child must not be in the home, I hope not. Moo.
that is pretty stunning. Already charges of neglect resulting in infury and then the mom claims she overslept her surrender date because she was on sleeping pills? Who is caring for and feeding the kids? Yikes.

There are inpatient and outpatient residential treatment programs. John Doe would benefit from specialized services and staff in that setting. Putting him back in a regular school setting isn't going to help anyone, especially him.

From a child centered perspective, John Doe would be best served in a contained setting. There isn't a school team that I know, that would recommend anything else. The mother could rail, and take the school district to court, judge wouldn't even blink.
John Doe's interests haven't been considered thus far...but one would hope this shook the cage enough to see that those needs are met.

Imho

I wonder if AZ will file a civil lawsuit against the shooter's mother once the mother's criminal trial is concluded.

I don't know what the laws might be nor do I know if they can vary. However, there's this case of parents protesting (Jan 2023) in Kentucky regarding a student (with a kill list) returning, and I don't know the final result of this...

Boone County parents concerned as student returns to high school after making threats

“As a father of a child on the active kill list, my statements will reflect my opinions based on the information I received from Conner High School. When I received a call from the principal, it was emotionally devastating. All I could think about was my child in danger when they did nothing wrong,” parent, Rob Bidleman said."

more at link
There's not a small chance that there's more to the story. Maybe the kids on the "kill list" had threatened to kill him, or were relentlessly bullying him in other ways, and the school wouldn't do anything about it?

Public schools can't pick and choose, can they?
Imagine you find out your new student shot the last teacher. Imagine finding out the class bully actually shot his last teacher.
Don't the teachers/staff and students' parents have ay say in this besides quitting or pulling their child out of school?
I think we need better solutions because a violent child who shot his teacher at age 6 is NOT normal by a long shot.
Yes and no. Public school can definitely pick and choose which environment is (not) appropriate for a given student.

There's not a small chance that there's more to the story. Maybe the kids on the "kill list" had threatened to kill him, or were relentlessly bullying him in other ways, and the school wouldn't do anything about it?

I didn't see any news reports stating anything like that. And, I know nothing about the case other than the news reports I've seen.

I didn't see any news reports stating anything like that. And, I know nothing about the case other than the news reports I've seen.

Just to be clear, the case you mentioned about a “kill list” is not this case. No doubt it’s obvious, but I’ve seen things grow legs and take off before, so thought I’d mention it. :)

Thank you both for the brief but perfect quotes ;)

thank you!
There are inpatient and outpatient residential treatment programs. John Doe would benefit from specialized services and staff in that setting. Putting him back in a regular school setting isn't going to help anyone, especially him.

From a child centered perspective, John Doe would be best served in a contained setting. There isn't a school team that I know, that would recommend anything else. The mother could rail, and take the school district to court, judge wouldn't even blink.

I agree. I think ignoring his issues and placing him back in the same school is not the solution! His classmates most likely are suffering from PTSD.

Just to be clear, the case you mentioned about a “kill list” is not this case. No doubt it’s obvious, but I’ve seen things grow legs and take off before, so thought I’d mention it. :)

Thank you. My post was not to derail the thread it was just part of the relevant discussion about dangerous and possibly dangerous students returning to public classrooms. 'Not sure what to do about responses that follow.

John Doe's interests haven't been considered thus far...but one would hope this shook the cage enough to see that those needs are met.

Imho

Yes. John Doe is an injured child. For whatever reason, he has missed out on bonding opportunities, and has severe social deficits. He has special needs, it is too bad his parents didn't realize that his needs were not being met in a regular classroom environment. This is an opportunity to repair and address what John Doe needs to become a successful member of society. He is only six years old. A lot of remediation can help him change.

Pondering priorities here. JMHO and all that.

When I delivered a little Laughing with a physically handicapping condition, Mr. Laughing & I knew to put off plans for another little Laughing for a while to concentrate on the needs at hand.

Once things stabilized, indeed thanking God for the Shriners, we could re-assess.

And this was after a miscarriage, btw.

Knows her child has an "acute disability" yet tries for more? Repeatedly?

I will not in any way limit her reproductive rights, but as a mother I wanted to be sure that my child has what that individual child needs -- and I still do!

Yes, post-partum depression is real -- as so is the stress & sometimes resulting depression in mothers of children with disabilities.

Has anyone noticed anything about the child's father yet? A Mr. Taylor?

Just pondering...just my humble opinion....et cetera

Yes. John Doe is an injured child. For whatever reason, he has missed out on bonding opportunities, and has severe social deficits. He has special needs, it is too bad his parents didn't realize that his needs were not being met in a regular classroom environment. This is an opportunity to repair and address what John Doe needs to become a successful member of society. He is only six years old. A lot of remediation can help him change.

I feel that it’s not just that his needs weren’t being met at school, but that they weren’t being met at home either. His home environment was not safe with a loaded gun accessible to a 6 year old. There is no evidence that his parents sought any type of counseling or behavioral care for him. This goes way beyond the school situation, IMO.

He was failed at home and at school, IMO.

Thank you. My post was not to derail the thread it was just part of the relevant discussion about dangerous and possibly dangerous students returning to public classrooms. 'Not sure what to do about responses that follow.

No worries. I knew what you meant and it was a good point. I’ve just noticed that sometimes ones replying (including me) don’t read back far enough to see context and a thread goes sideways. Nothing you can do about replies. It was a good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74