VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the child has some sort of issue that is undiagnosed?
Some issues would be apparent by now in Jan of 1st grade- autism.
Others take longer to figure out, and a young teacher may not have the experience to know the signs.
It appears there had been enough issues for the child to be flagged as difficult.
Why was he difficult?
Kids at 6 aren’t difficult without reason.
They are not ‘evil’ or acting with forethought and malice against others.

They may be manipulative- but they learn to be that way.
They do what works.

I am terribly curious to find out what was going on in his little mind. Likely, and probably good for him that we will never be told.

JMO

I'd love to know too, because w/o any info we have to guess.
I don't think a gun around a violent child was wise though.

I gotta "love" that "school administrators decided it was okay for John Doe to attend class without his parents". Yeah, people who were no where near the classroom all day.

The reality is that I can see their logic.
A child acting out at school may be safer at school than at home, if parents work they may be left alone.
The child abuse stats during lockdowns due to Covid were off the charts.

What admin didn‘t consider is the teacher and other children in the classroom. One unruly kid who is having his worst day can make the day of everyone in the classroom pure hell.

My cousin taught 1st grade, a boy climbed up on his desk, opened his zipper and pissed on another child’s head and face. That was her first year, and also her last. I cannot blame her!
No way teachers who teach kids at risk get paid enough!

JMO

Moo...the attorney is pushing for a plead deal, no jail time. Guessing they want to hush up any details.

So if the mother doesn't serve jail time then what? The child returns home and attends public school as if nothing happened. I think the most important issue is where does this violent child go?
It's not fair to return him back to public school not fair to him the teachers and the other children.
If the gun was easy found and unlocked before by him at age 6 what prevents it from happening again?
Or if he brings a kitchen knife to school? Then what? Wait until someone actually dies next time?
Has CPS investigated thoroughly WHY the child is violent? Is he being abused at home? or has he a learning disability? Are there mental health issues undiagnosed? Why is a 6-year-old so violent?
Is that even being addressed?! I hope assume so, but...

I notice he isn't being charged with NEGLECT yet he lives there also. Why isn't he held to some part of the responsibility of raising this child?
Why is his ID hidden/protected?
I'd like to see charges for BOTH parents. If she was struggling he needed to STEP up to the plate and help. No free pass because he is a man.
Per the attorney the father "occasionally" accompanied the child to school. I'm assuming he's not involved on a daily basis.

I am curious the father is not named. Another secret, in the saga. Is he being protected, or are they hiding his back story?
Moo

I'd love to know too, because w/o any info we have to guess.
I don't think a gun around a violent child was wise though.

I don’t know why she had the gun at all?

Did she live in an unsafe area? Was she in fear for her life?
If she had it for protection because she lived in an unsafe area- then to me this is an accident. A woman who lives alone in an unsafe area would be a target- but to protect herself her gun would have to be loaded and close by At night like in a side table drawer.
I’m guessing that is where it was- if she had it for protection.

She would not plan to run and hide in the closet and have a trigger lock on it, if her child is in another room??
Doesnt’ make sense to me

JMO

It shows she isn't making wise decisions, if you have a 6-year-old with severe issues and is VIOLENT you should NOT even think about having a new baby around that child! The parents have proven to not be able to make solid decisions.
I'd like to know how owning a gun around a violent child even makes any sense!
Was she threatened? An attempted break-in recently? What triggered the gun purchase?
Wonder if she purchased the gun prior to her depression? Virginia does enquire about mental health on the gun application.

Another concern, if the school knew of the mothers struggles/depression, and did not react, clear liability.
Moo

I notice he isn't being charged with NEGLECT yet he lives there also. Why isn't he held to some part of the responsibility of raising this child?
Why is his ID hidden/protected?
I'd like to see charges for BOTH parents. If she was struggling he needed to STEP up to the plate and help. No free pass because he is a man.
Do you know for certain that John Doe's parents live together? If so, can you provide a link? In most reports that I've seen, when referencing the weapon that the 6-year-old used, it was his mother's gun and was in "her" apartment. I have not seen any reports that indicate these parents lived together. JMO

Last edited:
Per the attorney the father "occasionally" accompanied the child to school. I'm assuming he's not involved on a daily basis.

I am curious the father is not named. Another secret, in the saga. Is he being protected, or are they hiding his back story?
Moo
Six-year-old John Doe likely has the father's last name, so dad's anonymity might be to protect the "innocent" child. JMO

Last edited:
So if the mother doesn't serve jail time then what? The child returns home and attends public school as if nothing happened. I think the most important issue is where does this violent child go?
It's not fair to return him back to public school not fair to him the teachers and the other children.
If the gun was easy found and unlocked before by him at age 6 what prevents it from happening again?
Or if he brings a kitchen knife to school? Then what? Wait until someone actually dies next time?
Has CPS investigated thoroughly WHY the child is violent? Is he being abused at home? or has he a learning disability? Are there mental health issues undiagnosed? Why is a 6-year-old so violent?
The child is apparently still in state custody. A judge has the authority to intervene in school placement, in certain cases, guns being one. A judge can decide on a safe placement for all.

Per the attorney the family wishes the child to be placed with his grandfather.
Moo..

Moo

If the mother was/still is clinically depressed I think the father needs to be taking some of the responsibility here!
Why she be the only one taking the fall? Two adults/two parents.

Do you know for certain that John Doe's parents live together? If so, can you provide a link? In most reports that I've seen, when referencing the weapon that the 6-year-old used, it was his mother's gun and was in "her" apartment. I have not seen any reports that indicate these parents lived together. JMO

I read it recently let me find it.

I read it while scrolling at a doctor's office...
here it is:

"
Ellenson wouldn’t comment on the status of Taylor’s 6-year-old son, but he did say that the child’s father is in the picture.

"They are in a committed relationship," said Ellenson.

When asked why his client is the only one facing charges, Ellenson responded, "You'd have to ask Mr. Gwynn."

Gwynn has not revealed if the father could be charged."

This article mentions BOTH PARENTS in the childcare plan, so the father is NOT absent.

If the mother was/still is clinically depressed I think the father needs to be taking some of the responsibility here!
Why she be the only one taking the fall? Two adults/two parents.
She is taking the fall for the gun because she is the registered gun owner. Moo...there would need to be strong proof the father was involved in the child gaining access, to be charged.

As, I've said, the father may not be involved on a regular basis. We all know, not all dads live with the mothers, children. Some are very hands off, pay monthly child support and never see their children. Moo

I've found no reference the father lived with the child and mother.

Six-year-old John Doe likely has the father's last name, so dad's anonymity might be to protect the "innocent" child. JMO

That could be the case.
Right now, it just feels like the attorney is presenting a clinically depressed mother, but I ask where is the father. He should take up the slack.
I feel bad for the mom if she was clearly overwhelmed and suffering from her own mental issues.

Last edited:
She is taking the fall for the gun because she is the registered gun owner. Moo...there would need to be strong proof the father was involved in the child gaining access, to be charged.

As, I've said, the father may not be involved on a regular basis. We all know, not all dads live with the mothers, children. Some are very hands off, pay monthly child support and never see their children. Moo

I've found no reference the father lived with the child and mother.

The attorney claims he is involved and they are in a "committed relationship."
Committed as in living together,
I assume, or committed as in living separately, which doesn't seem committed if NOT raising the child together. and yes, this is confusing to me.
I take ": committed relationship" as living together but NOT married raising their child together and attempting unsuccessfully to have another child.
Due to the recent miscarriages.
I didn't pick up they were living separately or exs co-parenting.

"Ellenson wouldn’t comment on the status of Taylor’s 6-year-old son, but he did say that the child’s father is in the picture.

"They are in a committed relationship,"
said Ellenson.

When asked why his client is the only one facing charges, Ellenson responded, "You'd have to ask Mr. Gwynn."

here it is:

"
Ellenson wouldn’t comment on the status of Taylor’s 6-year-old son, but he did say that the child’s father is in the picture.

This article mentions BOTH PARENTS in the childcare plan, so the father is NOT absent.

Thanks, I had not seen this article. Its still really vague, in the picture/committed relationship. If they are committed where was he during all the miscarriages, depression, etc. He didn't appear in court either day and support her.

Moo.. If the father was involved I do believe NNCOP Drew would have mentioned.

Maybe the special grand jury will charge the father. Sure hoping school administrators will be charged.
MHO

here it is:

"

Neither of these bolded comments indicate to me that the parents lived together with the 6-year-old child. Being in a "committed relationship" doesn't necessarily mean that they live together. Father probably pays child support and has visitation rights, and, yes, he might have some input into his son's education. There are many family situations like this, and, again, I've seen no evidence that John Doe's parents live together with their son. JMO

ETA: If the father has had a significant role in his son's life, why does the family want the child placed with a grandfather instead of his father who has not been charged in the shooting?

Last edited:
Thanks, I had not seen this article. Its still really vague, in the picture/committed relationship. If they are committed where was he during all the miscarriages, depression, etc. He didn't appear in court either day and support her.

Moo.. If the father was involved I do believe NNCOP Drew would have mentioned.

Maybe the special grand jury will charge the father. Sure hoping school administrators will be charged.
MHO

True, I agree it is very confusing!
If they live separately then I could see why he isn't being charged.
Or works in another city and is gone for weeks/months on end.
Not sure I understand the living situation either but it does seem as if many bad decisions were made recently. Why focus on having another child when your child clearly has issues and you NEED to attend school with him every day? Or have a newborn with a man who clearly isn't there to be supportive of your special needs child?
When does the mom find time to work?
The plan for the parents to attend school with him seems kinda unusual too.
I feel like there's more to this story.
He didn't appear in court or her friends or family members?

We will not ever be told the details of this child’s mental health- it would violate HIPPA.
A six year old who acts violently is not a violent child. A child at six who has a history of violence is crying out for help. Something is wrong that is heartbreaking- they aren’t an evil criminal mastermind.

The problem is state involvement CPS can lead to foster care, it would be better if the family was involved And the child went to relatives.

It is possible this was an accident, a gun used for protection was left unlocked. He picked it up and took it to school and shot his teacher. He may have been angry, or just curious, a six year old hasn’t a clue what death means.
I would be more worried about the guns that show up in middle schools and high schools where kids are choosing to kill someone. We don’t hear about those- they aren’t novel enough to make the news.
This is a fluke, not a new norm.
IMO

Neither of these bolded comments indicate to me that the parents lived together with the 6-year-old child. Being in a "committed relationship" doesn't necessarily mean that they live together. Father probably pays child support and has visitation rights, and, yes, he might have some input into his son's education. There are many family situations like this, and, again, I've seen no evidence that John Doe's parents live together with their son. JMO

So "co-parenting relationship" vs in a committed relationship with Deja.
I always thought a committed relationship was in a relationship with someone just not married but not dating others.
I wish the attorney would have said that instead.

My definition of a "committed relationship" means, in line with Wikipedia:
"A committed relationship is an interpersonal relationship based upon agreed-upon commitment to one another involving love, trust, honesty, openness, or some other behavior. Forms of committed relationships include close friendship, long-term relationships, engagement, marriage, and civil unions."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74