Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’m going to let this lady rest peacefully. Not only to preserve her dignity in death but her anonymity in order to protect the living. I think it’s highly likely Jane’s was an assisted suicide.

Her eclecticism. She had a keen sense of humour, as evidenced by the tapes she decided to listen to as she was leaving this earth. She spent her last moments among the graves of deceased infants so I think there may have been some sadness during her lifetime which made her somewhat empathetic toward our most innocent and vulnerable. Her attention to detail. I imagine her to have been an intelligent woman and very much in control of her life, as she was of her death. Also, she had a sense of style but had no qualms about breaking one of ‘fashion’s commandments’, ie; ‘redheads should never wear red’, so I think she was somewhat of a rebel. I have a feeling that Jane decided to end her life anonymously at Pleasant Valley for a reason known only to herself. I think she was a woman who valued her privacy.

I do feel for the cemetery’s caretaker, no matter how familiar with death he may have been by virtue of his employment. Discovering human remains, especially those of someone who has ended their own life, would be a traumatic experience for anyone.

Thank you so much for your post.....wonderful....!!! Makes me sort of happy.....you are real...

Not that I’ve read so far.

(I used to walk my dog through a cemetery and we’d often sit for a while in the deceased infants’ section, hidden away in the back. The historical graves were the most touching as they were often neglected and seemingly long-forgotten by their loved ones.)

I searched for the ones who were on that cemetery...mostly black African children..I didn't manage to get any link....maybe she cared for children, maybe she lost a (grand) child....maybe she just felt in peace in this place (as I do on a cemetery) amongst the innocent...

She could have been in an interracial relationship and had a biracial child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, its frustrating. I think you are not missing anything...This lady took very good care about staying unidentified for whatever reason she had. Maybe she changed her looks entirely, as women are capable off, and there is no obvious identification along the line of her looks. As I recall right it's not even certain that she was a real red head (looks like it, but we don't know the color of her body/pubic hair) Correct me if I'm wrong. If they honored her wishes there was no thorough autopsy, although they must have done some tests for ruling a homicide out, I think a toxicology test the least for they know a alcohol level. And they examined her body....at least from the outside. Maybe she is one of the missing, missing persons, never reported missing. There are still missing people added to Namus recently, also person who are missing for years and years, so maybe something will pop up after all. And I believe there are still a lot of handwritten missing persons files in and on desks from the "old" days, we don't even know off.. Maybe "the red headed lady" will be identified one day....I hope so for the ones who maybe miss her and are still searching... Looking at the rule out list (very long, comparing to other does) somebody still cares and is taken a effort. So are we...

Good point about her pubic hair. Is anyone in contact with the ME?

Could be any scenario. She could also have left a bad marriage where the husband kept the children like my MIL's mother did. There is also a thread at city-data, some guy is looking for his mother who left the family. No one is finding record of her but it's possible she remarried at some point

Of course...

Always possible. It's highly unlikely her child was buried at this cemetery, since she wanted to remain unidentified.

II ask myself, "if I wanted to kill myself in a place but remain unidentified" - there are two things about that. One is why you'd care about remaining unidentified. If our Doe was pretty isolated (no close family, maybe few friends), then why go through all this trouble? You could just kill yourself in your home, you may get a death notice in the newspaper and it may not even mention that it was suicide. I'm not thinking that Doe necessarily had a big family, but I think there is someone she wanted to hide this from, someone who also wouldn't necessarily be concerned her if she said she was "moving" but never wrote/called/emailed - maybe friends from church, cousins that she wasn't very close to, something like that.

The other is why here. This cemetery is a mile off the Beltway, the street it is on looks pretty busy, it's across the street from Northern Virginia Community College @ Annandale, it's near parks, it's something you'd pass on the way to shopping centers and George Mason University. It doesn't seem like something a "drifter" would find (I'm hard pressed to think of any cemeteries that you'd just stumble across), but if someone was traveling in an unfamiliar area, it's something she could have seen. Maybe the local maps or yellow pages, or Mapquest which I think was online at the time, would have listed this, and unlike a lot of cemeteries this one (I believe) was easily accessible via public transit. Picking a quiet part of the cemetery (so she would not be found/interrupted) makes sense, the history of the cemetery may not have even mattered to her. It was just a quiet place for her to end her life.

So if she is one of the "missing, missing persons" as Bit of hope says - and I think this is what happened - there's a decent chance she may never be reported. If the only people in her life were her congregation, well, it's been twenty years, her best friends (in her age range at the time) may have passed on, her pastor may have retired. I think the best chance to ID would be to do something like what the Grateful Doe people did and push information about her everywhere.

One more thought:

Others have noticed that this case has similarities with the Mary Anderson case (159UFWA, older woman is found in a Seattle hotel having committed suicide, leaving a note, happened in 1996 but in October.) I know some have said that these two Does look similar, I'm not very good with noticing facial similarities so I can't speak to that. But I have always suspected that 245UFVA may have a connection to the Seattle area for other reasons - her clothing was a combination of an Eddie Bauer jacket and Nordstrom private label shirts and pants. Both of these companies are based in Seattle, it's super common to see people wearing clothing bought from one or both places here.

If our Doe was living in Seattle, perhaps already thinking about taking her own life, and caught an article in the local papers about this case, it might have given her an idea. Fly far away - not just to the other coast, but to the "other Washington" - with the same idea of killing herself and not being identified.

Always possible. It's highly unlikely her child was buried at this cemetery, since she wanted to remain unidentified.

II ask myself, "if I wanted to kill myself in a place but remain unidentified" - there are two things about that. One is why you'd care about remaining unidentified. If our Doe was pretty isolated (no close family, maybe few friends), then why go through all this trouble? You could just kill yourself in your home, you may get a death notice in the newspaper and it may not even mention that it was suicide. I'm not thinking that Doe necessarily had a big family, but I think there is someone she wanted to hide this from, someone who also wouldn't necessarily be concerned her if she said she was "moving" but never wrote/called/emailed - maybe friends from church, cousins that she wasn't very close to, something like that.

The other is why here. This cemetery is a mile off the Beltway, the street it is on looks pretty busy, it's across the street from Northern Virginia Community College @ Annandale, it's near parks, it's something you'd pass on the way to shopping centers and George Mason University. It doesn't seem like something a "drifter" would find (I'm hard pressed to think of any cemeteries that you'd just stumble across), but if someone was traveling in an unfamiliar area, it's something she could have seen. Maybe the local maps or yellow pages, or Mapquest which I think was online at the time, would have listed this, and unlike a lot of cemeteries this one (I believe) was easily accessible via public transit. Picking a quiet part of the cemetery (so she would not be found/interrupted) makes sense, the history of the cemetery may not have even mattered to her. It was just a quiet place for her to end her life.

So if she is one of the "missing, missing persons" as Bit of hope says - and I think this is what happened - there's a decent chance she may never be reported. If the only people in her life were her congregation, well, it's been twenty years, her best friends (in her age range at the time) may have passed on, her pastor may have retired. I think the best chance to ID would be to do something like what the Grateful Doe people did and push information about her everywhere.

If you go to the Grateful Doe threads, you'll see how Greymetal and I did that in the social media push thread, he had a bigger following. It was not easy, we had multiple MP/UP FB pages in on it as well as reddit users. We had WS members posting on craigslists; was not easy and we have not been able to duplicate it with other Does. Member Apearn and I tried to do it with a marine doe.

Good point about her pubic hair. Is anyone in contact with the ME?

I don't know Roselvr. Maybe somebody out here knows?

Could be any scenario. She could also have left a bad marriage where the husband kept the children like my MIL's mother did. There is also a thread at city-data, some guy is looking for his mother who left the family. No one is finding record of her but it's possible she remarried at some point[/QUOTE

I agree with you that the place she choose to end her life was at random (quiet and remote) there was no (family)link between her and the buried children. Still thinking about the "why" she wanted to stay unidentified....lot's of thoughts, scenario's but it's not getting me closer to identifying her. Good idea to organize more exposure for her...It's not really a thing I'm skilled for/good in. But you are never to old to learn...

Ok weird question. $100 is not enough for a cremation. I wonder what gave her that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rbbm. Wonder if our Xmas tree lady also had a DNR paperwork somewhere?
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/...citate-tattoo-doctors-didn-t-know-what-to-do/
Dec 1 2017
A man collapsed with a ‘Do Not Resuscitate’ tattoo. Doctors didn’t know what to do
attachment.php

Doctors in Miami faced an unusual ethical dilemma when an unconscious, deteriorating patient was brought into the emergency room with the words "Do Not Resuscitate" across his chest.

The 70-year-old man was taken earlier this year to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where doctors made their startling discovery: a chest tattoo that seemed to convey the patient's end-of-life wishes. The word "Not" was underlined, and the tattoo included a signature.

It left the medical team grappling with myriad ethical and legal questions.

Was it an accurate representation of what the patient wanted? Was it legally sound? Should they honour it?

The case was detailed Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine, in a report that laid out the medical team's struggle for answers.

"This patient's tattooed DNR request produced more confusion than clarity, given concerns about its legality and likely unfounded beliefs that tattoos might represent permanent reminders of regretted decisions made while the person was intoxicated," the paper's authors wrote

When his blood pressure started to drop, emergency room doctors called Holt, who specializes in pulmonary disease — and they first agreed not to honour the tattoo, "invoking the principle of not choosing an irreversible path when faced with uncertainty," according to the case study.
"We had a man I couldn't talk to," Holt told The Washington Post, "and I really wanted to talk to him to see whether that tattoo truly reflected what he wanted for his end of life wishes."

Doctors treating the elderly patient knew of "a cautionary tale" published in 2012 in the Journal of General Internal Medicine. That paper told of a 59-year-old patient who had a "D.N.R." tattoo across his chest but said he wanted life-saving measures to be taken, in the event that he needed them.

When the patient was asked why he had the tattoo, he told doctors he had "lost a bet playing poker," according to the report.

Florida requires do-not-resuscitate orders to be printed on yellow paper and signed by a physician, so doctors at Jackson Memorial called an ethics consultant to discuss the legal aspects of the tattoo.

Holt said the consultant determined doctors didn't need to be entirely "dogmatic" and could presume the tattoo was an accurate reflection of the patient's wishes.

In any case, social workers were later able to track down the man's proper DNR paperwork, leaving doctors relieved, Holt said.

Attachments

• B823675111Z.1_20171201123457_000_G0K20LL8U.1_Super_Portrait.jpg
    B823675111Z.1_20171201123457_000_G0K20LL8U.1_Super_Portrait.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 316
Some states will not honor Do Not Resuscitate jewelry without proper inscription (like state of origin or doctor’s information) or a legal order signed by a physician or lawyer. I don’t know much about this subject, but wondering if she could have lived in a state where the medical alert stating “No Code/DNR” alone would be sufficient?

https://www.americanmedical-id.com/dnr

https://www.stickyj.com/blog/does-my-state-honor-dnr-jewelry/

If you search through the early part of the thread, somebody did some research on the bracelet and DNR paperwork. If I recall correctly, 1996 was before most of the paperwork and consistent requirements became common practice. Whether it would have been honored had she been found while still alive, I don't know.

One more thought:

Others have noticed that this case has similarities with the Mary Anderson case (159UFWA, older woman is found in a Seattle hotel having committed suicide, leaving a note, happened in 1996 but in October.) I know some have said that these two Does look similar, I'm not very good with noticing facial similarities so I can't speak to that.

I have to disagree with you that Annandale Jane Doe and Mary Anderson look anything alike.

WARNING: Death photo of Mary.

Could you please tell me more about that or provide a link to the story?

Sorry, not ignoring you. I was off visiting the grandson for Christmas. :)

I'm not sure there's an article that's not archived behind a paywall, but I'll try to find something. It wasn't a very big story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes