GUILTY VA - Ashanti Billie, 19, found deceased, Virginia Beach, 18 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

So the Feb. 18th hearing (which I have in my notes) is cancelled and now on March 27th? If I'm reading this correctly.

TIA! :)
Prison evaluator says Ashanti Billie’s accused killer competent to stand trial, decision in judge’s hands
Brown’s defense attorney wrote this in a document filed in federal court on Tuesday:
Acknowledging that the determination of Mr. Brown’s current competency and need for further restoration is ultimately a decision for the Court, the BOP evaluator opined that Mr. Brown is now competent to stand trial. A competency hearing is currently scheduled for February 27, 2019, but an unopposed defense motion to continue that hearing was filed yesterday.
Virginia Beach man competent to stand trial in Ashanti Billie kidnapping, doctor says
It will be up to a federal judge, however, to decide if Eric Brian Brown actually is capable of understanding the charges against him. A hearing is set for Feb. 27 in U.S. District Court in Norfolk, but the defense wants it moved until late March.

[...]

Prosecutors and defense attorneys want Brown to stay at a federal prison hospital in North Carolina until the eve of his competency hearing in Norfolk — whenever that might be.
My understanding from these statements is that the defense filed for a continuance, but it hasn't been granted as of yet?

Hi Indy Anna - I thought I saw an article that said they agreed on 3/27 for next hearing? I'll have to go back and look.... :)

Hi Indy Anna - I thought I saw an article that said they agreed on 3/27 for next hearing? I'll have to go back and look.... :)
Hi, Niner!
wave-smiley.gif

Mar 27 is the earliest date requested by the defense, but I don't know if it's automatically granted if prosecutors don't oppose the continuance:
The judge will need to hear arguments on this issue, so he set a competency hearing for next month. Defense attorneys said their psychiatrist will not be able to file a report and testify until at least March 27th. They revealed there are more than 1,200 pages and two videos the expert will have to review in order to move forward. Prosecutors do not oppose the continuance.
Prison evaluator: Eric Brown now competent to stand trial

Does anyone know "what" county this is in - I know - I'm too lazy to look back... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know "what" county this is in - I know - I'm too lazy to look back... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure, but I think it's either Norfolk City or Virginia Beach City --These two cities do not have counties. The cities are independent and not in a county.
It's an unusual feature of the state of Virginia explained more here: Virginia Counties - Virginia Association of Counties

Thank you Gardener!
Well - I checked Norfolk Circuit Court, Norfolk General Criminal, Norfolk General, Virginia Beach Circuit, and Virginia Beach General....

he has a few "other" cases, but nothing to do with the murder.

I did notice in my notes that he has a Federal charge:

Federal indictment (12/19/18) with 1 count of kidnapping resulting in death, assault resulting in serious bodily injury & theft.

Usually if there are Federal charges they go first, don't they?

Thank you Gardener!
Well - I checked Norfolk Circuit Court, Norfolk General Criminal, Norfolk General, Virginia Beach Circuit, and Virginia Beach General....

he has a few "other" cases, but nothing to do with the murder.

I did notice in my notes that he has a Federal charge:

Federal indictment (12/19/18) with 1 count of kidnapping resulting in death, assault resulting in serious bodily injury & theft.

Usually if there are Federal charges they go first, don't they?

I don't know how it works when there are Federal charges too but that makes sense. JMO.

My guess is the prosecution is persuing federal charges and hoping for a more severe sentence against Eric Brown.

From what I've seen, the death penalty and life without parole is not a common sentence for a murder at the state level.

The federal kidnapping resulting in death charge against Brown carries with it a minimum sentence of life in prison and a maximum sentence of death.

The prosecution may not have to prove that Eric killed Ashanti to get this federal charge.

My guess is the prosecution is persuing federal charges and hoping for a more severe sentence against Eric Brown.

From what I've seen, the death penalty and life without parole is not a common sentence for a murder at the state level.

The federal kidnapping resulting in death charge against Brown carries with it a minimum sentence of life in prison and a maximum sentence of death.

The prosecution may not have to prove that Eric killed Ashanti to get this federal charge.

In NC, the Statutes state that the penalty for 1st Degree Murder can only be one of two sentences if the defendant is 18 years or older, and the sentences are
1) Life without parole -- and it is indeed life with no parole -- no good behavior or anything -- unless an appeal is successful
2) Death
That's all there is for 1st Degree Murder.

SUBCHAPTER III. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON.
Article 6.
Homicide.
§ 14-17. Murder in the first and second degree defined; punishment.
(a) A murder which shall be perpetrated by means of a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon of mass destruction as defined in G.S. 14-288.21, poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, torture, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or which shall be committed in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of any arson, rape or a sex offense, robbery, kidnapping, burglary, or other felony committed or attempted with the use of a deadly weapon shall be deemed to be murder in the first degree, a Class A felony, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished with death or imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole as the court shall determine pursuant to G.S. 15A-2000, except that any such person who was under 18 years of age at the time of the murder shall be punished in accordance with Part 2A of Article 81B of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes.

General Statute Sections - North Carolina General Assembly

Further mental evaluation ordered for Billie murder suspect (with clip)

Mar 21, 2019

"NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- A competency hearing for the man charged in the kidnapping and killing of Ashanti Billie has again been put on hold.

Eric Brian Brown is faced with charges including murder and kidnapping for Billie's death...

Federal court records show a March 27 competency hearing for Brown was cancelled earlier this week. Brown has been ordered to be committed at Butner Federal Medical Center in North Carolina for an additional 120 days, where he will undergo more evaluation....."

Further mental evaluation ordered for Billie murder suspect

I'm going to post this update - so I can shorten it up a bit! :)

Wednesday, March 27th:
*Hearing-cancelled – VA – Ashanti Markaila Billie (19) (Sept. 18, 2017, Virginia Beach; found Sept. 29, 2017, Charlotte, NC) – *Eric Brian Brown (45) – State charged (11/7/17) in Norfolk with kidnapping. A separate murder charge is pending in state court in Charlotte unserved as of 12/20/18.
12/15/17 sent for competency hearing. At the request of prosecutors, a federal magistrate on Friday ordered Eric Brown to be evaluated at a federal prison in Butner, N.C., or another suitable federal facility. Regardless of the outcome of the evaluation, Leonard’s order will delay Brown’s federal trial – which has not been scheduled yet. If Brown is found incompetent to stand trial, the case could remain pending for months or even years.
2/2/18 Update: Eric Brown mental evaluation is complete. The court received the report last week (Jan. 24, 2018). It is sealed, so don’t know what it says at this point about whether or not examiners believe Brown can assist in his own defense and stand trial. It is unclear what action the court has taken since reviewing that report and when the court is going to proceed in this case publicly.
6/4/18: Brown has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is incompetent to stand trial, according to court documents.

In December, 2017, federal authorities evaluated Brown's mental health. The findings of that report remain sealed; however, in a public motion Brown's attorney Andrew Grindrod wrote that the veteran is being held in a "lockdown unit." Grindrod also wrote that Brown has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is currently not competent to stand trial. Now, Brown's doctors say they need to involuntarily medicate him because he's a danger to himself and others. Brown's defense attorneys are scheduled to appear in federal court on Thursday (6/7/18) to argue why forcible medication isn't appropriate in Brown's case.
6/21/18 Update: Hearing was moved from 6/7 to 6/21 – Judge rules man charged with Ashanti's death can be involuntarily medicated.
11/29/18: No later than Feb. 18th, the director of the facility in Butner, North Carolina will let the court know whether or not Brown has fully regained competency. Proceedings in the abduction trial should move on from there.
12/19/18 Update: Grand Jury Federal indictment: Charged with 1 count of kidnapping resulting in death, assault resulting in serious bodily injury & theft. A mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison, with maximum sentencing being death.
1/24/19 Update: According to court records, evaluators believe Brown is now competent to stand trial. Ultimately, a federal judge will make the decision. The judge will need to hear arguments on this issue, so he set a competency hearing for 3/27.
3/22/19 Update: A competency hearing for 3/27 has again been put on hold. Brown has been ordered to be committed at Butner Federal Medical Center in North Carolina for an additional 120 days, where he will undergo more evaluation. Approximately around June 27, 2019.

Senator Warner, Ashanti Billie's family press DOJ to implement nationwide Ashanti Alert

The Ashanti Alert Act was signed into law on December 31, but Sen. Mark Warner said the DOJ is failing to quickly implement an 'Ashanti Alert' system.

NORFOLK, Va. — Nearly five months after President Trump signed the Ashanti Alert Act into law, Senator Mark Warner and Ashanti Billie's family say the Department of Justice is not acting fast enough to implement a nationwide Ashanti Alert system.

The Ashanti Alert is named for Ashanti Billie, a 19-year-old woman who was abducted from a Norfolk naval base and killed in 2017. It establishes a national alert system for missing adults, similar to the Amber Alert or Silver Alert.

"Even though it can't save our daughter's life any longer, it can still help save your mother, sister, daughter, friend or loved one," Brandy Billie, Ashanti's mother, said at Thursday's press conference.

In March, Senator Mark Warner wrote a letter to the U.S. Department of Justice to ask for an update on the timeline, implementation and outreach efforts needed to establish a nationwide Ashanti Alert.

"The response we received from the Department of Justice is not adequate," Warner said. "They have named a coordinator but there's no timeline as to when this law will be fully implemented around the country."

A statewide version of the Ashanti Alert is already functioning in Virginia. Virginia State Police reported six alerts were issued in the last year.

"The longer we wait, the more people we put in danger, and we cannot delay this any longer," Virginia delegate Jay Jones said.

Brandy Billie said a Virginia Beach woman contacted her in February, saying the Ashanti Alert saved her life.

"That's our daughter; she's still working up there to continue to help save lives and bring people home," Billie said. "Her mission hasn't ended and it never will end."

Warner said he hopes this push will put pressure on the Department of Justice to act with a sense of urgency.

"We've passed legislation and it's already saved lives in Virginia," he said. "It needs to save lives all across the country."

Thursday, July 11th:
*Hearing (@ am ET) – VA – Ashanti Markaila Billie (19) (Sept. 18, 2017, Virginia Beach; found Sept. 29, 2017, Charlotte, NC) – *Eric Brian Brown (45) – State charged (11/7/17) in Norfolk with kidnapping. A separate murder charge is pending in state court in Charlotte unserved as of 12/20/18.
Court hearings from 12/15/17 thru 1/24/19 reference post #651 here:
Found Deceased - VA - Ashanti Billie, 19, Virginia Beach, 18 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

3/22/19 Update: A competency hearing for 3/27 has again been put on hold. Brown has been ordered to be committed at Butner Federal Medical Center in North Carolina for an additional 120 days, where he will undergo more evaluation. Approximately around July 11, 2019.

Man charged with kidnapping, killing Ashanti Billie won't face death penalty

NORFOLK

If a Navy veteran ever stands trial on charges he abducted a 19-year-old woman from a military base in 2017 before she was found dead in North Carolina, federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty, they said Tuesday.

But that is still a big if.

Eric Brian Brown remains incompetent to stand trial, despite being forcibly medicated for more than a year and being examined by at least six mental health experts — including four with the U.S. Bureau of Prisons and two hired by the defense.

A prison psychologist deemed Brown competent earlier this year, but changed her opinion after hearing from the defense's experts.

U.S. District Judge Raymond Jackson signed off Tuesday on letting a seventh expert speak with Brown for the prosecution. He declined, however, to let another doctor sit in and observe the interview.

Brown — who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia — was charged in November 2017 with kidnapping resulting in death, assault resulting in serious bodily injury and theft.

If convicted, he could have faced the death penalty. Prosecutors, however, announced Tuesday in court they would instead seek life in prison.

No reason was offered.

Federal prosecutors believe Brown kidnapped Ashanti Billie Sept. 18, 2017, outside a sandwich shop at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek. She worked at the restaurant while also attending The Art Institute of Virginia Beach.

Following his arrest, state prosecutors filed murder charges in Charlotte, N.C., where Billie's body was found Sept. 29, 2017, near Brown's childhood home.

Brown's federal kidnapping case has been on hold most of the past 19 months while the experts try to determine whether he's competent to stand trial.

In January 2018, Jackson ruled Brown wasn't able to assist in his defense and ordered him to receive treatment. And in June 2018, the judge ruled prison staff could forcibly medicate him following a series of incidents.

In January 2019, the Bureau of Prisons informed the attorneys in the case Brown appeared to be competent.

Later, however, two experts hired by Brown's public defenders interviewed Brown and reached the opposite conclusion. The findings were shared with the prison's doctors, who in turn changed their opinion.

Brown has continued receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, N.C., ever since.

Brown's public defenders have objected to their client's forced medication. A hearing on whether it is still appropriate is expected later this year.

Prosecutors asked the court in June to let them have their own experts examine Brown.

"The BOP experts are not the government’s experts, but the Court’s," wrote Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson, who is of no relation to the judge.

The defense argued any interview by a prosecution-allied doctor would violate their client's constitutional protection against self incrimination. They also said such an examination is unnecessary "because four BOP experts agree that Mr. Brown has schizophrenia and is not competent to stand trial."

"Injecting two new evaluators into the process will only muddy clear waters," Assistant Federal Public Defender Keith Kimball said.

The prosecutor countered the opinions of the four BOP doctors were not included in the prison's most recent report. He added that one of the BOP doctors previously said Brown could be faking his mental health problems.

Anyone have a link to the Virginia Federal court site?

@SeesSeas ? :)

Anyone have a link to the Virginia Federal court site?

@SeesSeas ? :)
CM/ECF - vaed-login
U.S. District Court

Eastern District of Virginia - (Norfolk)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 2:18-cr-00194-RAJ-LRL All Defendants

Case title: USA v. Brown
Magistrate judge case number: 2:17-mj-00562-RAJ-LRL

Date Filed: 12/19/2018
Assigned to: District Judge Raymond A. Jackson
Referred to: Magistrate Judge Lawrence R. Leonard

Defendant (1)
Eric Brian Brown

Pending Counts
T.18 USC 1201(a)(1) and (2) - Kidnapping Resulting in Death \ T.18 USC 3591 and 3592 - Notice of Special Findings \ T.18 USC 981(a)(1)(C) and T.28 USC 2461 - Criminal Forfeiture
(1)
T.18 USC 113(a)(6) - Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury
(2)
T.18 USC 661 - Theft
(3)

Date Filed # Docket Text
07/11/2019 94 Psychiatric Report Received (Sealed) as to Eric Brian Brown (ptom, ) (Entered: 08/06/2019)
07/17/2019 Set Hearings as to Eric Brian Brown: Status Conference set for 8/6/2019 at 10:00 AM in Norfolk Courtroom 4 before District Judge Raymond A. Jackson. (ptom, ) (Entered: 07/17/2019)
08/06/2019 95 Status Conference before District Judge Raymond A. Jackson as to Eric Brian Brown held on 8/6/2019. AUSAs Randy Stoker and Kevin Comstock appeared on behalf of the Govt. Attorney Laura Tayman, c/a and AFPDs Andrew Grindrod, Keith Kimball and Lindsay McCaslin appeared on behalf of the defendant. No appearance by defendant, Eric Brown. Comments of Court. Argument of counsel heard as to how to proceed. Court will issue an order. Court GRANTS Government #91 Motion for Psychiatric Exam and will issue an order. Court adjourned. (Court Reporter Jody Stewart, OCR.) (Court Hours: 10:00-10:15)(ptom, ) (Entered: 08/06/2019)
08/06/2019 96 NOTICE REGARDING STATUS OF DEFENDANT by USA as to Eric Brian Brown (Stoker, Randy) (Entered: 08/06/2019)
08/06/2019 97 ORDER as to Eric Brian Brown. The Court ORDERS, nunc pro tunc 7/18/19, that Defendant be committed to the medical facility in Butner, NC for an additional 120 days; such commitment will expire 11/15/19. The Court ORDERS the director of medical at Butner to advise the Court as to Defendant's status by 11/8/19. The Court ORDERS the BOP to file any addendum to its 7/11/19 letter within 20 days of this Order, and ORDERS the BOP to provide all counsel with updated records on Defendant within 15 days of this Order. Signed by District Judge Raymond A. Jackson on 8/6/19. Copies distributed as directed. (bpet, ) (Entered: 08/06/2019)
08/06/2019 98 ORDER granting 91 Motion for Psychiatric Exam as to Eric Brian Brown. The Court further ORDERS that the resulting report be made available to the Court, to BOP, and to defense counsel on the day it is received by the Government. Signed by District Judge Raymond A. Jackson on 8/6/19. (bpet, ) (Entered: 08/06/2019)

CM/ECF - vaed-Query
Eric Brian Brown is a defendant in 4 cases.
2:17-mj-00562-RAJ-LRL USA v. Brown filed 11/07/17 closed 12/20/18
2:17-mj-00562-RAJ-LRL-1 Eric Brian Brown filed 11/07/17 closed 12/20/18
2:18-cr-00194-RAJ-LRL USA v. Brown filed 12/19/18
2:18-cr-00194-RAJ-LRL-1 Eric Brian Brown filed 12/19/18

Accessing this federal court website was not EZ, so I'm posting for my reference:

Eastern District Court of Virginia
To access district court documents for this case, you must register for PACER. Viewing the case docket sheet and filed documents through PACER costs 8 cents per page, with a maximum charge of $2.40 per document. You can register for PACER online at http://pacer.psc.uscourgs.gov/register.html.

Once you have registered, take the following steps:

• Go to CM/ECF - vaed-login to log into the PACER system.
  • Click on "Reports," which is located on the blue menu bar at the top of your screen.
  • Click on "Docket Sheet." Enter the case number (2:11cr34).
  • Click on any document number to access that document.

So from above - this is what I'm understanding:

08/06/2019 97 ORDER as to Eric Brian Brown. The Court ORDERS, nunc pro tunc 7/18/19, that Defendant be committed to the medical facility in Butner, NC for an additional 120 days; such commitment will expire 11/15/19. The Court ORDERS the director of medical at Butner to advise the Court as to Defendant's status by 11/8/19.

Next status hearing on 11/8/19 - ?? What do you think?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back