GUILTY VA - Carly Sawyer, 5, starved & beaten to death, Chesapeake, 10 June 2009

But just look how young the parents are - for a 5 year old daughter the father is 24, the stepmom 21. That's just too young, especially for people with little to no parenting/life skills.

Sometimes I think people (teens/children) should have to finish high school and have worked for a year or two before getting married and having kids. Yeah, I know, no way to police that, but still.... maybe we could reduced the number of these sad events?

I think this is an interesting idea, but I know a couple who were married when she was 17 and he was 19, they had 5 beautiful children and are still going strong 25 years later. Their children are educated and sucessful. And for the record, they never starved any or kept them in boxes.

Personally, getting to the root of why these folks have the children to begin with would work for me. It is not necessary to have children or even unprotected sex for that matter. So, WTH? Beyond that, we live in a society that supports choice-so there are a number of ways to deal with unplanned pregnancy...none the least of which is adoption. But instead the folks who initiate these crimes against children opt to starve, beat, torture and kill??? It blows my mind. This baby lived in hell-people recognized it, but Dad was the better choice???
:behindbar

Yeah, I know, believe09, and I know several parents who started young and did just fine with their kids.

I wonder how we could instil better self belief, self esteem into these young people? Just breaks my heart.

This angel was laid to rest this morning in the town I live in. I was going down Main St. this morning when the funeral presession came thru. All of our cops and firefighters were on the path to pay respects. It was a very sad sight.

Apparently the bio Mom lives here in our town.

I am so sick of these "people" killing children. What is this world coming to.

Thank you Kimberlyd125. I didn't see anything in our local paper (Chesapeake VA) about her funeral. Maybe I just missed it.

I hope these monsters get the speediest of trials and are sent straightaway to a 4'x8' box of their own.

Yeah, I know, believe09, and I know several parents who started young and did just fine with their kids.

I wonder how we could instil better self belief, self esteem into these young people? Just breaks my heart.

Okay - I have to jump in here on this conversation with you and believe, Pudd. What I want to know is how a person can be so MEAN? Where is their conscious? Teaching them to be better parents is a great idea, but the parent must also have some kind of inner voice that speaks to them when they do something mean. Without that inner voice, you can't teach the parent a darn thing! There was no inner voice here! The first time you tie a kid up and look at them, you HAVE TO KNOW that it is the WRONG thing to do :eek::confused:. Don't you? Young and stupid is no excuse for MEANNESS. I want to know WHY these parents don't recognize this MEANNESS in themselves and do something about it? Like give the kids away, seek professional help, whatever.

There is absolutely NO excuse for hurting a child over and over again. NO EXCUSE except that the person is a without benefit of a conscious. It sounds like the dad had a small twinge of guilt over what he did and what he allowed, but it wasn't enough to make him act like a man and stop the violence.

That's the part I don't get. To act mean over and over again :furious::furious::furious:

Salem

PS - I'm beginning to believe that people without a conscious are broken and there may be no way to fix them?

Are you kidding me? The step-mother gave a statement to the police that the little girl was spanked and SHE (the little girl) threw herself to the floor? Please. She's been starved. I doubt she had the energy to even stand up much less throw herself to the floor.

bolded by me.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

And Brandy looks like she could afford to miss a few meals herself.

They are cowardly, mean-spirited creeps.

how did she come to be placed in a home of such young people? are the other children they have bio or foster? how bad could her bio mother have been for these two to look responsible? If these two are foster parents they really need to be in even more trouble, imo, they would only be doing this for a paycheck...just like the insurance policies....sickening :(

It has to start with the parents. If the parents of these two weren't there or were there but awful, then they didn't have a chance. I see to much today that kids are spoiled and never told "no".

This story seems to say to me that Step-witch didn't want Carly because she came between her and her man. They didn't say how the other two children were treated, but I bet dollars to doughnuts her two children were fine. She needs to be put to death!:furious:

I was just trying to see if I could find any updates on this case and found this from December.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/crime/carly-sawyer-case-will-go-to-trial

Child murder case will go to trial
Updated: Friday, 04 Dec 2009, 8:28 AM EST
Published : Friday, 04 Dec 2009, 8:28 AM EST

CHESAPEAKE, Va. - The father and stepmother of a 5-year-old child who was beaten to death will go on trial on murder charges.

A Chesapeake Grand Jury heard the case on December 1 and determined there was enough evidence to take the case to trial.

Police arrested 25-year-old Joshua Sawyer and 21-year-old Brandy Sawyer in the June death of his daughter, Carly. Joshua Sawyer was charged with second-degree murder, his wife with first-degree murder. Both were charged with felony child neglect. They are being held without bond.

Authorities say Carly was confined in a box, tied up, hit with a belt and denied food.

A medical examiner ruled the cause of Carly's death was blunt force trauma. Starvation and medical neglect also contributed to the child's death.

The next court date for this case is January 24. At that time, a trial date will be determined.

***I'm looking now to see if I can find anything from the Jan. court date.

I was just trying to see if I could find any updates on this case and found this from December.

The next court date for this case is January 24. At that time, a trial date will be determined.

***I'm looking now to see if I can find anything from the Jan. court date.

According to Virginia court records, Joshua Sawyer's trial will begin 6/21/10 with a pre-motion hearing scheduled for 5/6/2010. Brandy Sawyer's trial is due to begin 6/14/2010.

http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/CaseDetail.do

Thanks! I hope they both fry. How evil are those two?

I got a FB message a few days ago from a friend here in Zachary, LA (Where Carly's maternal grandparents, the K's live). The community here is haveing a one pitch softball tournament on Aug. 14th and a chicken dinner sale on Aug. 6th to raise money so the K's can travel to VA for sentencing. This got me looking for updates on the case again and I found several articles I had missed.
Looks like they both pled guilty.
If you go to www.wavy.com and put Joshua Sawyer in the search box, several articles come up. These are the two I found regarding the trials.

Father pleads guilty to killing child

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/joshua-sawyer-pleads-guilty-to-killing-daughter-carly-jw

Joshua Sawyer entered unexpected plea
Updated: Thursday, 06 May 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 06 May 2010, 2:20 PM EDT

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) - A Chesapeake father pleaded guilty Thursday, to killing his 5 year old daughter.

Police arrested Joshua Sawyer in June 2009 after the death of his daughter, Carly. Officers responded to his Oliver Avenue home to investigate a complaint of child abuse. Police said the little girl was confined in a box, tied up, beaten and denied food.

Stepmother pleads guilty to murder
Brandy Sawyer made a plea deal

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/brandy-sawyer-pleads-guilty-to-killing-stepdaughter-carly

Updated: Friday, 28 May 2010, 6:27 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 28 May 2010, 10:30 AM EDT

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) - In lieu of a trial, a Chesapeake woman instead pleaded guilty Friday to killing her stepdaughter.

Brandy Sawyer, 22, pleaded guilty to first degree murder in the death of Carly Sawyer, her young stepdaughter. In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors agreed not to pursue a charge of felony neglect and child abuse. Sawyer could face life in prison for the murder charge.

Sawyer's sentencing is scheduled for September 21.

EVIL!!!!!!
Sawyer,_Joshua_20090612215435_320_240.JPG

EVIL!!!!!!
Sawyer,_Brandy_20090612215647_320_240.JPG

Angel!!!
CarlySawyer_20090615121504_320_240.JPG

how did she come to be placed in a home of such young people? are the other children they have bio or foster? how bad could her bio mother have been for these two to look responsible? If these two are foster parents they really need to be in even more trouble, imo, they would only be doing this for a paycheck...just like the insurance policies....sickening :(

She was placed with her biological father.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back