Found Deceased VA - Chad Austin, 30, Buena Vista, Amhurst County, 27 May 2019

Well I question whether he had a leash for his dog. If he did run out of gas and was trying to find help .. he wouldn’t want to walk a dog down that mountain without one.
I just created an account after years of looking on. Thanks for posting this! I live & work near the parkway and have been closely following this case. This article has given more information than anything I have seen. There are a few thing that have crossed my mind. The possibility of him running due to his pending case is possible, yet this case is a class 6 felony showing the act was not done maliciously and would not have too much of a punishment even if it went to completion. So it wouldn't really be worth it to run. Maybe he was scared & felt desperate and suicide could have been a possibility but why not leave the dog @ home? Sometimes when searching for someone they neglect to check the trees in the event of hanging (sorry but I had to mention that). Then there is a possibility of him falling into a "fugue state" after an injury or possible mental break. Hopefully he will be found or return unharmed.

Case Status and Information

Shows both charges, court date 7/24/2019
It looks like 9 years ago he was charged with burglary, larceny and entering a home for such purposes, but otherwise stayed clean until the latest charges for assault and battery and unlawful wounding, then a marijuana first offense in May. Maybe he felt his life was getting out of control again?

I just created an account after years of looking on. Thanks for posting this! I live & work near the parkway and have been closely following this case. This article has given more information than anything I have seen. There are a few thing that have crossed my mind. The possibility of him running due to his pending case is possible, yet this case is a class 6 felony showing the act was not done maliciously and would not have too much of a punishment even if it went to completion. So it wouldn't really be worth it to run. Maybe he was scared & felt desperate and suicide could have been a possibility but why not leave the dog @ home? Sometimes when searching for someone they neglect to check the trees in the event of hanging (sorry but I had to mention that). Then there is a possibility of him falling into a "fugue state" after an injury or possible mental break. Hopefully he will be found or return unharmed.

Welcome, BRC, so glad you have created an account and are participating in the discussion!

Well I question whether he had a leash for his dog. If he did run out of gas and was trying to find help .. he wouldn’t want to walk a dog down that mountain without one.

Hi Lalalou2 ... we need either a link to the source of the articles or name of paper and date the article was contained in; otherwise we will have to remove the post.

If anyone else has that info on hand, please post it or private message a Mod or Admin and we'll edit the post to reflect the info.

Thanks.

Hi Lalalou2 ... we need either a link to the source of the articles or name of paper and date the article was contained in; otherwise we will have to remove the post.

If anyone else has that info on hand, please post it or private message a Mod or Admin and we'll edit the post to reflect the info.

Thanks.

Hi Sillybilly,

Lalalou2 told us that it was "The News Gazette paper out of Lexington the week following his disappearance" in this post: VA - VA- Chad Hunter Austin, 30, Buena Vista, Amhurst County, 27 May 2019 *Vehicle found

If exact date of paper is still required, I hope @Lalalou2 will come back to provide it so the photos can stay. I searched that paper's website and did not find the article but it appears to be a very small town paper and only locals would have access to the print articles: The News-Gazette
JMO. :)

Last edited:
His case was going to be heard by the grand jury, that’s just to decide whether to formally charge him. I doubt that would push someone over the edge.

I am amazed he left his cell phone at his parent’s home. How was the photo from his car shared with the girlfriend. He must have had another phone. Phones work around there in places.

I think he might have lost the keys that were found and been looking for them in the dark, slipped and fell down the mountain. He would have had some survival skills so whatever happened, it was not in his control.

<modsnip - sleuthing family> In the article posted previously it says he left phone at parents home that day.

Same day he bought $1.20 in gas, and was last seen.

<modsnip - discussing fb comments>

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if he was going to Panther Falls Panther Falls (Buena Vista) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

There's a small campground nearby. I wonder if that's where the campers saw him. Maybe he thought he had enough gas to take his dog and him for a swim and he ran out of gas leaving. He probably thought he could hike to the main road and find some to help with gas and would be right back for his dog. If his dog is good maybe he didnt carry a leash for him so he didnt want to risk him being loose on the road.

Also on his public Facebook page for him it was mentioned they couldn't say what keys were found and if some were missing but I believe there was rumor only his car key was missing. Maybe he took that off his ring and only carried the key to the swim hole so he didnt have to carry all his keys and some how didnt realize he dropped the rest on the ground while walking. I think he would have stuck to the road. Who knows what time of day the campers saw him. I just dont think he'd leave his dog behind either if he wanted to end his life he would have left him at home. I think there's foul play here somehow.

<modsnip - sleuthing family> In the article posted previously it says he left phone at parents home that day.

Same day he bought $1.20 in gas, and was last seen.

<modsnip - discussing fb comments>

Sorry for the faux pas in my reply....new & learning the ropes here. Yes, the article said his phone was left at home. Definitely more questions than answers. If anyone knows what the campers who saw him before he disappeared said about how he was acting at the time I would be interested in knowing that. I know they are keeping some things confidential, that's probably one. Hoping for the best.

If he put $1.22 worth of gas in his tank, and headed into the hills, he had to know it was highly unlikely he would get to another gas station and even if he did, what would be the point since he had no money to get more gas, because if he did have money he would have put more gas in originally.
So, how come he did that, headed into the hills knowing he wouldn't get very far. Did he care how far he would get, maybe he had no particular destination in mind, anywhere would do.
But, taking his beloved dog along doesn't make sense.

It might take a half gallon (1.22 in Virginia rn approx.) to get up that mountain but it doesn’t take that much to get back down. Especially in a manual transmission. They haven’t said if he was even out of gas. Buena Vista is not far from the Appalachian trail (maybe 6-8 miles?), I don’t know how far from panther falls. I’ve driven down that mountain from the trail to Buena Vista with low gas and not worried. I could cruise to the bottom.

I think he had no reason to kill himself. I think he lost his keys, slipped and fell and it was long enough before they searched that area (if at all) that his remains were scavenged. They said the area was very treacherous for searching. When he lost his keys, he probably didn’t want to wake his parents considering the hour, whatever that was. So he kept looking. We know he left his phone at the parents’ earlier that day, but I’m not sure whether he lived there full time. It says in the article shared above which keys were lost I thought, although the fb site said that info was not being shared.

I live about 3 hours away, learned about this from a poster hung here which startled me only because it was a solo hiker and I am too. I think this is just the danger of solo hiking. I think his dog was in the car so he wouldn’t run off while the keys were lost in the dark. Hikers pride themselves on only needing a couple bucks in gas for an adventure. His just went wrong.

One thing I don’t understand is why he would be at the campground, unless the parking is otherwise right there. If he was stalking around the campground for no reason that would lend to a psychotic break theory.

So my theories in order of likelihood:
1. Hiking accident
2. Psychotic break, exposure
3. Faked own death, left dog to be found

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members