VA - Codi Bigsby, 4, *Dad named POI* Hampton, 31 Jan 2022 - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES *NO DISCUSSION*

MAR 12, 2024

8:30 a.m. - Bigsby walks into court

Cory Bigsby has walked into Hampton Circuit Court for what may be the day a verdict comes down.

Jurors returning Tuesday are set to hear closing arguments starting at 9 a.m. before beginning deliberations.

MAR 12, 2024

Closing arguments will be presented in the murder trial against Hampton man Cory Bigsby on Tuesday. Then, Bigsby's fate will be in the hands of 12 jurors, who will determine if he is guilty of killing his son Codi.

After the defense rested its case on Monday, the judge adjourned, telling jurors he wanted the instructions and the closing arguments fresh in their minds when they deliberate.
Closing arguments to be presented in Cory Bigsby murder trial

Jury instructions are scheduled to start at 9 a.m., followed by closing arguments and deliberations. The jury could come to a decision today.
Closing arguments to begin in Cory Bigsby’s murder trial

MAR 12, 2024

11:30 a.m. - Jurors begin deliberating
Closing arguments have concluded, and now the case has gone to the jury.

The jury will deliberate on Cory Bigsby's charges of second-degree murder and concealing a body. Jurors can review any of the presented evidence they’d like while in the room.

If the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the case will end in a mistrial.

1:30 p.m. - Jury reaches verdict

The jury has reached a verdict nearly two hours after beginning deliberations. The verdict is expected to be delivered shortly.

Bigsby murder trial updates: Jurors are now deliberating

MAR 12, 2024

The verdict was reached around 1:45 p.m. and 10 On Your Side’s Chris Horne was in the courtroom. He said Cory was “as stoic as he was throughout the entire seven days” when the decision was reached.

Advocates for Codi Bigsby were heard chanting “Justice for Codi” as Cory’s sister, Tandeleyia Butler, walked away. Butler could be heard saying, “I never lied from the beginning, and I don’t lie now,” while leaving the courthouse.

Curtis Brown, Cory Bigsby’s attorney, was asked if the defense will attempt to appeal the decision.

“You all presented the case the way that you all wanted, as if he was already guilty,” Brown said.

When asked if he thought Codi was still alive, Brown stated, “I don’t want to say something that, you know, I’ll regret.”

It will not be until mid-June until Cory Bigsby’s sentencing.

Closing Arguments​

Jury instruction started at 9 a.m., followed by closing arguments. Deliberation started at 11:25 a.m. 14 jurors were presented the evidence, but only 12, eight women and four men, deliberated.

During closing arguments, Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney Anton Bell asked the jurors to think about a protective and nurturing parent, saying, “This case is not about that. It’s about a predator.”

Bell went on to tell the jurors to use their common sense.

“He beat that child with his fists and dumped the child like he was trash,” Bell said. “You have the ability to bring to Codi what no one else can bring, and that’s accountability.”

Defense Attorney Curtis Brown took longer on closing arguments and was seen flipping through large white pages on a stand to support his case.

“Reasonable doubt means not guilty,” Brown repeatedly said to the jury.

Cory Bigsby found guilty in murder of son, Codi

MAR 12, 2024

Jury finds Cory Bigsby guilty of killing his son, Codi Bigsby​

cory bigsby.jpg

WTKR News 3 on X

MAR 13, 2024

Full interview with Hampton man convicted of killing his son Codi Bigsby

MAR 13, 2024
[...]

During the interview, the Hampton man said he believes he didn't get a fair trial and that a jury wrongfully convicted him.

"I definitely was wrongly convicted," Bigsby told 13News Now. "This is trash."

[...]

When asked about Codi's whereabouts, Bigsby said he "never knew where Codi is."

"I don't know what happened," Bigsby said. "All I know is, of course, he had to wander away, but did someone take him? I wouldn't know."

[...]

"I was ambushed because my attorneys never got to interview my son about anything before trial," Bigsby told 13News Now. "We didn't even know who was going to be up there. I didn't know who was going to be up there."

[...]

Bigsby thinks someone coerced and coached his son to say what he did in court:

"My son said something totally different in the first two interviews he was giving in the beginning, which was two years ago. Then all of a sudden, my son came and said some stuff that was coerced, knowing my son never his brother laying anywhere lifeless, none of that."
[...]

Commonwealth's Attorney Anton Bell issued the following statement: "The community has spoken."

MAR 13, 2024
His legal team would not officially say whether they plan to appeal, but lawyers told News 3 they would need to wait until after the sentencing to appeal, and they would have 30 days to do so.

“The court has to actually accept the case based on a legal error,” said legal analyst Eric Claville, “So it’s not guaranteed the court would accept it."

Commonwealth’s Attorney Anton Bell said they are prepared.

Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney Anton Bell told 10 On Your Side he isn’t going to lower Cory Bigsby’s sentencing recommendations if he reveals where Codi is.

Bryant agrees with this strategy.

“It’s horrendous,” Bryant said. “He’s hidden this from law enforcement, from his family, from everyone in the community for all this time, and to now come forward and say, ‘well, here’s where it is,’ I don’t think that’s sufficient for a reduction in sentence.”

MAR 14, 2024
[...]

The police chief said investigators knew "very early on" that Bigsby was involved in his son's death.

"He's an incredibly poor liar," Tabot said of Bigsby during the news conference. "There was very little that he had to say that seemed to map onto the truth. He was aggressive with his lies, which makes it especially egregious. So, it wasn't real tough to figure out."

[...]

"If we're lucky, he will never get out of jail," Talbot said.

[...]

13News Now also asked Talbot about his reaction to our jailhouse interview with Bigsby, the police chief quoted Shakespeare: “A tale told by an idiot, [full of] sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

[...]

"What I remember from his interview is that he said we used his statements against him," Talbot said. "Well, of course we did. What does he think: We were his friends? We were investigating his allegations and we were trying to find his son."

[...]

"Having interacted with Cory Bigsby, I am not hopeful that we will ever find out what happened to Codi," Talbot said. "I'm not at all hopeful."

MAR 15, 2024
"I just went out, I was, I got up and got dressed because we was supposed to be moving today, right? After I fed the babies I went and got dressed and went in the room where he was supposed to be at," Bigsby told the dispatcher. "I went in there to get my coat and he wasn't in there. So I ran outside, looked everywhere, tried to find them. I don't know where he's at."

"How old is he?" the dispatcher asked Bigsby.

"He's three, no four," Bigsby said. "He's four."

Bigsby told the dispatcher he last saw Codi the night before, claiming that his son tapped him and asked if he could go outside.

"Sometimes, he usually creeps outside at night," Bigsby said with apparent heavy breathing.

When the dispatcher asked Bigsby what Codi's approximate height was, he twice replied, "I don't know" before adding that his son is "like 3' 5"." ...

MAR 15, 2024

AUDIO: Cory Bigsby's 2022 911 call reporting Codi Bigsby missing

MAR 20, 2024
[...]

Three of the video exhibits played in the courtroom are now being released through Hampton Circuit Court.

Exhibit 3 | Initial law enforcement response​

The body camera footage of one of the first responding officers on the case shows Cory's earliest statements to police, as he proceeds to tell officers that he had not seen his son Codi since waking up on the morning of January 31, 2022.

[...]

Defense Exhibit 5 | Police questioning​

The video clip, taken from an overhead camera inside a room, shows investigators casting doubt on the explanation of Codi's disappearance provided by Cory.

[...]

Exhibit 11 | Written confession​

Taken from the body camera of an officer, Cory is seen writing what would be one of several confession letters in which he states he found Codi unresponsive and then drove the body away from his home.

"I can write it myself," he tells the officer before they hand him paper and a pen.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back