VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the officer, there was no neighbor who saw them together.

What I gather from that is either the neighbor only told this information to the reporter who first wrote about it (which does not make much sense) or the reporter somehow misunderstood the information provided by police.

Regardless of the source, whether he picked him up 5 minutes before his dad's house or 5 minutes after he left his dad's house does not matter a whole lot.

What I gather from that is either the neighbor only told this information to the reporter who first wrote about it (which does not make much sense) or the reporter somehow misunderstood the information provided by police.

Regardless of the source, whether he picked him up 5 minutes before his dad's house or 5 minutes after he left his dad's house does not matter a whole lot.

What is your theory about who Grateful Doe was?

The HuffPost article is a welcome sight! Thanks so much for posting and sharing. It really clears up some of the ideas about the note and of course, leads to more questions. But so nice to see this case in the News!

Salem

IDK. i think it makes a difference... if Hagar picked him up in fairfax as he left his gf's place, then he was with him all morning.

If he was picked up after the pitstop at Hagar's father's, then Jason has a lot more unaccounted for time to consider... he probably hitchhiked with someone else to get there. maybe he spent his last few bucks at a diner along the way? maybe someone talked to him?

FWIW, the refuting of the report that a neighbor saw both guys at the dad's house doesnt mean much to me. just because no one saw him doesnt mean he wasnt there. maybe he was napping in the back of the van. maybe Hagar dropped him off at a convenience store to get a snack or make a call on a payphone.

I see this guy is not in the rule outs. height and weight are close, but eye color is wrong. still thought i would toss it out there for consideration (i dont remember seeing his name before):

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/427dmns.html

Allan Kenley Matheson
Missing since September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 8, 1972
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 150 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Green eyes; brown hair. Light to fair complexion; slender build. He is right-handed.
Clothing: He was last seen wearing a Helly Hanson nylon mountain jacket, blue denim Levi 509 jeans, a red and black back pack, brown loafers and a purple ball cap (possibly 'Los Angeles Lakers'). He was also wearing a gold hoop earring in his left ear. He tended to almost always wear a baseball cap of some sort.
AKA: While Allan Kenley Matheson has always been called Kenley, he may be using the names Ken, Al, Allan, or using similar sounding names while retaining the same initials.
Other: Matheson is a very avid reader and is seldom without a book. He is an enthusiastic hiker and dirt biker. Athletically, Matheson is a very good swimmer. His favorite sport is NBA basketball and he is also a hearty Montreal Canadiens hockey fan.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Matheson disappeared from his residence on the morning of September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia. The university science student from Port Hawkesbury, N.S., was last seen that September afternoon in downtown Wolfville.
Prior to his disappearance, Allan Kenley Matheson had motorcycled, walked and hitchiked extensively throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico and Guatemala.

AMatheson.jpg

Does our Doe have pierced ears? I'm just peeking in and too lazy to check at the beginning of the thread.

Per police, the van gradually went off the road, something indicative of someone falling asleep at the wheel.

Thank you...I am still confused at how they could detect it gradually went off the road...We are talking about a paved road..?

Also do not understand why the driver bypassed 85 off 95 in Petersburg VA...Perhaps he took the long way around for the passenger....

Classito

Nitrous

Classito

One of the things that I remember the most from those shows in DC was the nitrous... I saw people falling out all over the place from it, one guy busted his head open on the table next to us. After a while I asked the people selling it to relocate, and it was one of the scariest memories of dead tour... They became very angry and aggressive. Over the course of that summer of shows, especially in the east coast, it was like the nitrous sales were taken over by a gang of shady people, putting it nicely. There was tons of it at those shows, tons! When someone inhales it, they to into a state that incapacitates and can cause passing out. I have found it curious that the drivers father hasn't felt compelled to share info and try to help out, but I also realize that I don't have any room to judge... I can't fathom the pain losing his son caused him! But I also have wondered in the back of my mind if there wasnt something he didn't want to be known or investigated... That he may be trying to protect his sons reputation (understandably) there were mini nitrous tanks all around, but I imagine the LE would have noticed or reported that? But if he did take a hit of nitrous, he could have veered off as was described...
All just my opinion of course!

They would have noticed a mini tank for sure...But probably not a deflated balloon or two...

Classito

I used to get the gas - nitrous - every time I went to the dentist. It is NOT a gas that keeps you high for any length of time. In fact, the minute the worst of the dentistry was finished I was stone cold sober and able to drive. The high only lasted as long as the gas was on and there were no after effects. Sadly, I now have a full set of dentures :)

To Killarney Rose:
Grateful Doe's left ear was pierced- no earring. Whether he was wearing an earring the day of the accident is unknown.

I think bringing him to the house would show how comfortable he is with Grateful Doe. If he didn't bring him to the house then a hitchhicker makes the most sense, although not conclusive. If he brought him to his father's house and let him into the house I think he likely knew him in some fashion, even if very casually since most people wouldn't bring a complete stranger to their parent's house and invite them inside. So I do think it matters, but looks like random hitchhiker is one of the more plausible solutions.

The information is from the original officer.

Thanks David. I don't follow the case although I'm friends with the gal that runs his FB page; so try to peek my head in here when I can. I must have forgotten that info

Appreciate both articles you wrote
Missing, Murdered And Unidentified Grateful Dead Fans The mutual interest in the band is a connection that was made by Todd Matthews, national director of the National Missing & Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

Matthews has compiled a listing of the cases at the "Unsolved Grateful Dead Fans" website.

"The Grateful Dead is just one commonality that brings this group of people together," Matthews told The Huffington Post. "While the cases may not be personally linked, their affinity for the band brings them together."

I see this guy is not in the rule outs. height and weight are close, but eye color is wrong. still thought i would toss it out there for consideration (i dont remember seeing his name before):

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/427dmns.html

Allan Kenley Matheson
Missing since September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 8, 1972
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 150 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Green eyes; brown hair. Light to fair complexion; slender build. He is right-handed.
Clothing: He was last seen wearing a Helly Hanson nylon mountain jacket, blue denim Levi 509 jeans, a red and black back pack, brown loafers and a purple ball cap (possibly 'Los Angeles Lakers'). He was also wearing a gold hoop earring in his left ear. He tended to almost always wear a baseball cap of some sort.
AKA: While Allan Kenley Matheson has always been called Kenley, he may be using the names Ken, Al, Allan, or using similar sounding names while retaining the same initials.
Other: Matheson is a very avid reader and is seldom without a book. He is an enthusiastic hiker and dirt biker. Athletically, Matheson is a very good swimmer. His favorite sport is NBA basketball and he is also a hearty Montreal Canadiens hockey fan.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Matheson disappeared from his residence on the morning of September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia. The university science student from Port Hawkesbury, N.S., was last seen that September afternoon in downtown Wolfville.
Prior to his disappearance, Allan Kenley Matheson had motorcycled, walked and hitchiked extensively throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico and Guatemala.

AMatheson.jpg

After finding Kenley's thread here; I found a google cache of the family made website; ended up rebuilding it Kenley's google site. I am in contact with his sister & mom. His family feels he met with foul play after his sister saw him Sunday at 4pm. They do not feel he just walked away & are begging people to come forward so they can bring his remains home & bury him. His sister runs his FB page

Condensed version of what happened. There was a big party at his residence on Saturday night; his sister Kyrene saw Kenley at 4pm Sunday September 20, 1995. They had calculus class together on Tuesday and Thursday mornings; she knew something happened when he was not there because they normally passed each other Monday when they were switching classes. She didn't see him; neither did their friend that was in a class with him on Mondays.

thanks roselvr for digging that info up. sounds like the family has a solid idea of what happened to poor kenley :/ still, since his remains havent been found and our "Jason" sits unidentified, i would say it might not hurt to submit him.

Not sure if Jeffrey John Zoltowski has been mentioned/sent in as a possible match...He is not on the excluded list...

Missing since March 31, 1993 from Wailua, Island of Molokai, Hawaii.
Classification: Endangered Missing
•Date Of Birth: March 19, 1970
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0; 160 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown curly hair; brown eyes. He is left-handed.
•Marks, Scars: Small scar under left eye, birthmark on outer right ankle bone, previous fracture to left ankle and left hand.
•Clothing: Purple tie-dyed T-shirt, white shorts.

zoltowski_jeffrey5.jpg

Classito

i know it's been said the driver was coming back from his girlfriend's house. do we know for sure he did not go to the grateful dead concert, especially considering the misinformation we've corrected recently?

my thought was what if we're barking up the wrong tree and the driver let our jason doe borrow some of his clothes. that could explain the pants with the gd tickets and the shirt from the show.

scenario - he picks up doe hitchhiking. doe is dirty, muddy, whatever and our driver says he can borrow some pants and a shirt he has in the back of his van. it doesn't explain what happened to his original clothes except for the possibility, given that they linked a note found near the scene, that they were thrown out of the van? eh, even i'm not buying all of my theory but just trying to throw out a different look.

That's possible. Maybe its selfish of me, but there is no way that I would give my new expensive concert shirt to someone to wear. But that's just me. Other stuff, yeah, but not my new concert shirt.

Not sure if Jeffrey John Zoltowski has been mentioned/sent in as a possible match...He is not on the excluded list...

Missing since March 31, 1993 from Wailua, Island of Molokai, Hawaii.
Classification: Endangered Missing
•Date Of Birth: March 19, 1970
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0; 160 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown curly hair; brown eyes. He is left-handed.
•Marks, Scars: Small scar under left eye, birthmark on outer right ankle bone, previous fracture to left ankle and left hand.
•Clothing: Purple tie-dyed T-shirt, white shorts.

zoltowski_jeffrey5.jpg

Classito

i think he could be excluded because he is too tall. also there was no mention of previous fractures and AFAIK, there wasnt damage to jason's hands or ankles, so the ME would have been easily able to see that. i am not sure how consistently that stuff is included on pages though...

thanks roselvr for digging that info up. sounds like the family has a solid idea of what happened to poor kenley :/ still, since his remains havent been found and our "Jason" sits unidentified, i would say it might not hurt to submit him.

I would love to enter Kenley in NamUs on the assumption that he left on his own & came to the US. Would love to have his family give DNA; which would ultimately help if he's found. I'd love to see him ruled out against our UP's. Last I looked; he's not even listed in Canada's newest missing & unidentified person's site; yet they're offering a huge reward if he's found. Canada's system is flawed to say the least

I would love to enter Kenley in NamUs on the assumption that he left on his own & came to the US. Would love to have his family give DNA; which would ultimately help if he's found. I'd love to see him ruled out against our UP's. Last I looked; he's not even listed in Canada's newest missing & unidentified person's site; yet they're offering a huge reward if he's found. Canada's system is flawed to say the least

I've never submitted someone before but if it's something I can do via email i am happy to do it... i mostly sleuth at work and i dont think my colleagues want to hear about this kind of stuff :) just point me in the right direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11