VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #14 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll be hearing about more evidence in the next few days. LE in this case is clearly not concerned with keeping everything on the DL.

My guess is that they found evidence that Hannah was in his car at some point, which is huge.

I believe we will hear about it too. I'm just waiting for it.

I don't understand why people think we wont hear about evidence until a trial, and that it is too early. I know many cases where we have heard about evidence, at least enough to make the public understand why an arrest was made. The most recent case I followed in which this happened was probably Jenise Wright. We were told they found bloody and muddy clothes in the perps closet. I don't think people are asking LE to lay out their whole case, just to give us a little more to go on.

I would like to know more. I agree with you on that point. I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for just a little more info. I can see why it's making people think they don't have more. I personally believe they have more they're not sharing because of my own experience within the system, but maybe I am being too trusting. I guess time will tell.

We never see the evidence in a week or two of the abduction (and probable murder). We are given information during the manhunt because police desperately need help from the public. Now that he has been arrested, we probably won't get too much information. We won't know the evidence until there is a trial. Should we believe that he's innocent until the time of trial? Some may prefer to believe that he is a victim of police stupidity and incompetence, but I suspect that most will trust that police know what they are doing and they are well on their way to arresting the man for Hannah's murder (which of course is still not confirmed). The search for Hannah will continue, but we all know that if she is alive, she would have come forward. Jesse is in this alone ... there is no accomplice, per police.

The only reason that Jesse Matthew has been detained is because police now have evidence to suggest that he is responsible for her disappearance.
If direct evidence is required to trust police work, then best to check back in when the trial starts.

I just usually prefer to wait until the evidence comes out fully at the trial (or at least comes out partially at the hearing to bind him over) before I decide on guilt or innocence, otto, though sometimes (as in, say, Scott Peterson's case), the actions of the accused make damningly clear his likely guilt even before the trial. In this case, I've seen no evidence of guilt yet except possibly his fleeing the area, but as I said before, since that could also be explained as the response of a fearful, even terrified man who may feel he has been singled out in part because of his race (and I'm not saying he HAS BEEN, only that he might FEEL he has), I don't know yet how to feel about this suspect. I think it's unfair to accuse me of preferring to believe he is "a victim of police stupidity." I never said, or thought, any such thing. In any trial, though, there is a prosecution and there is a defense. If we believed wholesale in every prosecutor's case without hearing the defense, there would be no need for a trial. If we only had the choices of believing the police were always right OR believing they are "stupid", our justice system would never allow for any alternative explanation and everyone would always be guilty. That's the definition of a police state, and in our democracy we don't have room for that. So...no, I don't believe the police are stupid. Neither do I know yet that they are right. I've already said I think this suspect is very likely guilty of some act that led to poor Hannah's probable demise, I just don't know yet, and have not yet seen anything to convince me conclusively that he is.

I would like to know more. I agree with you on that point. I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for just a little more info. I can see why it's making people think they don't have more. I personally believe they have more they're not sharing because of my own experience within the system, but maybe I am being too trusting. I guess time will tell.

I mean, I totally believe they have more. We know they collected things, so we know they have SOMETHING. We just don't know what that something is and just how damning it is to JM. I would just like to know a little more to help me get off the fence. And I don't think we have to wait until the trial for that.

I believe we will hear about it too. I'm just waiting for it.

I think that almost immediately after they did a forensic processing of the car, they were able to charge Matthew with the crime of abduction and I think that is because they found Hannah's DNA in his car.

It's possible he was charged with failing to identify himself/giving false info basically. There's a similar charge here in VA for when you give a fake name. But obviously JMO, not facts.

I agree with you. I was trying to clear up the notion that he might have had someone else with him, which I don't believe is the case here.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/26621697/charlottesville-reacts-to-news-of-jesse-matthews-capture

"I think innocent people don't run, scared or not. I'm surprised he got as far as he did with his face out there nationwide," Snow said.

"The fact that he went all the way to Galveston, Texas is pretty compelling to me and to me signals that he was trying to escape," said John Max.

Though Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo said authorities don't know why Matthew went to Texas, people in Charlottesville are glad to see investigators being so vocal about every step of the investigation.

"With this case, they update you at 12. Then they update you at 7. I just feel they try to update the public more. It's great. I just hope they got the right guy honestly," Baumgardner said"

I don't understand why people think we wont hear about evidence until a trial, and that it is too early. I know many cases where we have heard about evidence, at least enough to make the public understand why an arrest was made. The most recent case I followed in which this happened was probably Jenise Wright. We were told they found bloody and muddy clothes in the perps closet. I don't think people are asking LE to lay out their whole case, just to give us a little more to go on.

in his Press conference yesterday Longo said he was going to give out a lot more information with in the next few day but there were reasons they couldn't just yet. I believe he said something to the effect that he was going to lay everything out and be very "forthcoming" i think.

Speaking of sympathy for Hannah, I was thinking about her earlier today when I was crocheting some hats to donate to an animal rescue thrift store. I enjoy my hobby and how it enables me help those in need and Hannah will never get to experience the things she enjoyed. It made me so grateful for my life to live and so sad her life, her future, was probably taken from her.

We'll be hearing about more evidence in the next few days. LE in this case is clearly not concerned with keeping everything on the DL.

My guess is that they found evidence that Hannah was in his car at some point, which is huge.

i think they put this one charge out a day or two before they wanted to just so they had something they could have him arrested held an extradited on.

Speaking of sympathy for Hannah, I was thinking about her earlier today when I was crocheting some hats to donate to an animal rescue thrift store. I enjoy my hobby and how it enables me help those in need and Hannah will never get to experience the things she enjoyed. It made me so grateful for my life to live and so sad her life, her future, was probably taken from her.

I feel the same way. I have a friend who was murdered when we were in middle school going into high school, and I still think about her even today because there were so many things she didn't get to experience. I am sad that Hannah's life has likely been cut short, and even if it hasn't it's been forever changed.

My son just got back from a cruise to Mexico....passport required

You can waltz across the border into Mexico with no ID whatsoever. I have done it many times. If you do not have a passport, the problem is getting back into the States. I would not advise it.

Wonder where he got the tent? Grabbed his stuff out of the apt and already had one, bought it, or did someone give it to him? Hey friend, I just need to uh borrow your tent for a little bit. Oh no, I'm not going anywhere! Just going to go and uh camp or something.

I feel the same way. I have a friend who was murdered when we were in middle school going into high school, and I still think about her even today because there were so many things she didn't get to experience. I am sad that Hannah's life has likely been cut short, and even if it hasn't it's been forever changed.

A friend of mine was murdered when she was 20, and still, so many years later, I feel so much sadness and anger that she was just barely starting life and had it so brutally cut short. I hope that Hannah is being kept alive somewhere, and some recent cases have given me hope that it actually can happen, but I fear that if LE has their man here, then that is certainly not the case.

I'll just offer this, nobody heads directly to Bolivar Peninsula unless they have a reason to be there...it is such an out of the way place you wouldn't even know how to get there unless someone fills you in.

I'll just offer this, nobody heads directly to Bolivar Peninsula unless they have a reason to be there...it is such an out of the way place you wouldn't even know how to get there unless someone fills you in.

It does seem like a really random place to end up. Still not understanding why/how he got there.

You can waltz across the border into Mexico with no ID whatsoever. I have done it many times. If you do not have a passport, the problem is getting back into the States. I would not advise it.

Good info... but Dude wasn't looking to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74