VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this case is absolutely nothing like Lacie Peterson...but I will say that LE knew Scott Peterson was their man, but they knew they needed a body to give the case legs. I guess people here would criticize LE for focusing on Scott, but they knew. How did they know...circumstantial and behavioral. There was absolutely no physical evidence...no blood, no struggle. Thoughts???

Agree. I was just reading about Jack the Ripper and apparently the police knew who he was but never had any evidence. I think they described it as a "moral certainty" of his identity but no legal certainty.

Theory: LE know exactly where LJM is and they are watching him. They gave up the chase intentionally so they can track him because they lack some critical evidence (either a link or the ultimate evidence, probably both). They've got enough to arrest him but they don't want to right now because he is shrewd and still has contacts and leads of his own. LE clearly has evidence not yet disclosed. Longo's histrionics were not particularly helpful. Family comments were. More people need to come forward, no doubt about it. Please help. Time may have run out for HG, but not for justice. Just my opinion.

Yes, making the chief the bad guy here only serves to take the focus off of the person who was last seen with Hannah, and most importantly, finding her. Which is his job.

FWIW, it also made me uncomfortable when Henry Paulson had an on-camera meltdown and started ranting about congress during the financial crisis, so again - personal preference.

Chief Longo said they knew nothing more about his interaction with Hannah than when he came in....

Lawyer may have asked LE if they were charging JM and when told no, walked out with JM.

I am back already. To the people asking about whether he can be held on the reckless driving warrants - it depends on a number of factors. One of the main reasons to deny bond is if someone is a flight risk. If they got their warrants while fleeing from cops then yes, I think they could be denied bond.

I think they know she's dead. I think they have evidence to make them think that, which is why he said the lab work was not finished. I think they are on JM like a hawk in the hope that he panics and leads them to her in an attempt to cover his tracks.

Please note the *I think* in the above.

Did I imagine this or did someone post just a short while ago that both HG's and JM's phones were turned off while they were at Tempo? Is that something that was said at the press conference?

I'm not uncomfortable with him being emotionally-involved at all. I think it's good for police to be invested in helping the people they are trying to help. I just think that he's a professional and it makes me uncomfortable when professionals shout in public and behave as if they are angry, even if they have reason to be angry. Again- just a personal preference.

But u listened to him!
I like the guy! We need more like him.

Now I've missed even more. I had to work today. Did I miss anything?

OMG! He got away from LE and took off. I am so upset at this info.

Hubby thinks not. He thinks they still know where he is. But I think that if they do, and they have an arrest warrant (2 actually) for reckless driving why wouldn't they go get him and bring him in? Or if they really don't know, why not put out a BOLO and release his picture to the public? He's wanted, he fled, isn't that enough justifiable cause to release his mug shot to the public???

I want to pull my daughter out of UVA. She will not want to leave, and she will hate me, but I don't want her in this city. Dad and I control the purse, it might be time we take the decision out of her hands.
Found the UVA Parent link: (it's not the handbook but a link to campus info, etc. there is also a section on safety. ). http://parenthandbook.virginia.edu//

About going to the police station and talking to a lawyer and then leaving in a huff, is it possible JM was just angry because the lawyer told him he couldn't help him? I mean they're not going to give him a public defender unless he talks to the police correct?

I'm only familiar with the court system in another state but I don't think the police department is the one that would be appointing a public defender are they? Isn't that something that happens after a person is formally charged and arraigned? I think he either hired an attorney before he went to the police department or maybe knows one that is helping him pro bono (or as a friend?), just based totally on what I know about how things work elsewhere. I quoted your post just because it was the most recent discussing the incident at the police station and, as always, this is just my opinion.

I am back already. To the people asking about whether he can be held on the reckless driving warrants - it depends on a number of factors. One of the main reasons to deny bond is if someone is a flight risk. If they got their warrants while fleeing from cops then yes, I think they could be denied bond.

I watched it on CNN and afterwards the newsperson asked Jean C if the Police could hold him for the Reckless driving charges- she said "Yes" and shrugged, "but not for long, these are misdemeanor charges"..

He was asked if they know where he is now. State and Feds were following him and he sped off... " We are aggressively pursuing a location and once we have determined that location, provided Mr Matthew does not surrender himself, we will go to that location and arrest him."

I just saw a pic of the orange car on Parker Slaybaugh's FB page. The right side of the car is messed up. Part of the right passenger side bumper is missing and the front rt tire is a donut. (spare tire) There are scrapes on the lower part of the passenger side. Wonder if the car was damaged before Hannah disappeared? Hmmm.

Reckless driving warrant issued for person of interest in Hannah Graham investigation
At a Sunday news conference, Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo said investigators were "overtly" trailing Jesse Matthew on Saturday and tracked him to a home in Albermarle County. Longo said Matthew then drove away from the home at a high rate of speed.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/3-pm-news-conference-scheduled-for-hannah-graham-investigation/28176918

photo from PC:

John-and-Suan-Graham-JPG.jpg
John and Sue Graham
Hannah Graham's parents, John and Sue, speak at a news conference Sunday in Charlottesville.

I know this case is absolutely nothing like Lacie Peterson...but I will say that LE knew Scott Peterson was their man, but they knew they needed a body to give the case legs. I guess people here would criticize LE for focusing on Scott, but they knew. How did they know...circumstantial and behavioral. There was absolutely no physical evidence...no blood, no struggle. Thoughts???

And there are still people who cry "he was railroaded!" on that case. :facepalm:

I also believe that LE is concerned that Hannah isn't his first victim. He looks an awful lot like the sketch in the Morgan Harrington case (some posted him standing next to a cab back in 2007). If that's the case, I can see why Longo is so intense and passionate about getting to the bottom of this. Matthew's DNA will tell an interesting tale. I think the police are just waiting on those results from his car and apartment to make their next move.

In the Heather Elvis case, LE arrested the POI's for indecent exposure, and that was just to keep them in custody until charges came. I think that's what the reckless driving charges are, just a way to get their hands on him until they get forensics back. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnthatsux