VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky News

'She learned she could love someone who hurts her'

Psychologist Dawn Hughes tells the court how she believes Amber Heard's upbringing has affected her.

The court has previously heard her mother and father were abusive when she was a child.

"She was raised in a family of violence," Dr Hughes says, saying that the actress's father was "explosive" and that both parents struggled with substance abuse.

Heard "learned very early" how to "caretake" and live in a sitation "mired in chaos", the court is told.

Heard "learned that she could love someone who hurts her", Dr Hughes tells the jury.

She says Head believed she could "fix" Depp, liked she tried to "fix" her parents.

Sky News

Two psychologists, two different conclusions

Amber Heard's lawyer Elaine Bredehoft next asks psychologist Dawn Hughes about previous witness Dr Shannon Curry's testimony that the actress has personality disorders.

Dr Hughes says she does not agree with this. She says she made no diagnoses of personality disorders "for a number of reasons".

Firstly, she says this requires a "pervasive pattern in a variety of contexts" - so if there is no evidence of this before or after a certain situation, she starts to tell the court, but is stopped as lawyers approach the judge.

Dr Hughes later tells the court that medics treating Heard did not diagnose personality disorders either.

Dr Curry, who was called as a witness by Depp's team earlier in the trial, told the court she was at first approached to help ascertain whether there was evidence of "intimate partner violence" within the couple's relationship but was later asked to complete "a psychological analysis" of Heard.

She said borderline personality disorder was "a predictive factor in women who implement violence against their partner", adding that "one tactic is physically assaulting and then getting hurt themselves... then using the legal system... for example using a restraining order".

You can read our report of the day Dr Curry testified below.

Depp v Heard: Amber suffered from 'histrionic and borderline personality disorders' and 'grossly exaggerated symptoms of PTSD', court hears

I am curious to see how JD team handles her on cross. If they are smart they can actually use much of her testimony to illustrate that many of these abusive behaviors she describes apply to AH. I had clients in the office briefly near the beginning of her testimony. Can anyone tell me if this woman ever interviewed JD or if she is relying solely on anecdotal information provided by AH and her team to reach her conclusions about THIS couple?

BBM. What I understand is, that AH was the only one evaluated since her counter suit includes that her mental health was altered by the alleged abuse. JD's suit was based on defamation, so his mental state is not under scrutiny and was not evaluated. So this witness' testimony is based solely on AH's account.

(Edited out double quote.)

Last edited:
Sky News

'I got eyes down there'

Amber Heard's lawyer Elaine Bredehoft asks Dr Dawn Hughes about the physical violence that the actress reported to her.

Dr Hughes tells the court Heard told her Depp had "pushed" and "shoved" her, "slapped" and "choked" her, "slammed her into a wall" and kicked her.

She says Heard reported injuries such as bruising and cuts, and "vaginal pain" from sexual assaults, and that she said she lost consciousness on a couple of occasions - in Australia in 2015 and in LA later in 2015.

The psychologist tells the court she found "coercive control" by Depp to be "quite significant".

She says there were "many, many incidents" of Depp interfering in Heard's career. He didn't want her to appear nude or show "t*ts and *advertiser censored**" and didn't want her to work with certain actors.

He also criticised the actress's ambition, Dr Hughes says, and it made her "fearful" to look at scripts or talk about roles.

Depp would call actors and actresses and even directors she worked with, Dr Hughes says Heard told her, telling them: "I got eyes down there."

He also tried to control what she wore and didn't want her "dressing like a w****", the psychologist tells the court.

This is all based on Heard's reports to her.

Sky News

'That's what obsessive control looks like. Those messages on the mirror'

Clinical psychologist Dawn Hughes - an expert witness called by Amber Heard's team and the first witness to testify for the defence following the end of Johnny Depp's case earlier today - now refers to the infamous Australia 2015 trip to give an example of the actor's jealousy and control.

Earlier in the trial, the court was shown pictures of messages written in blood and paint on mirrors and walls by Depp, including one which mentioned Heard's co-star Billy Bob Thornton at the time.

"We saw that on the Australia pictures, Billy Bob," Dr Hughes says. "That's what obsessive control looks like. Those messages on the mirror."

When describing what Heard told her about SA she said in that Australia altercation that Depp penetrated her with a bottle and Heard told her she thought “I hope that’s not the broken bottle” . My question is, the bottle she threw at Depp that sliced off part of his finger?

When describing what Heard told her about SA she said in that Australia altercation that Depp penetrated her with a bottle and Heard told her she thought “I hope that’s not the broken bottle” . My question is, the bottle she threw at Depp that sliced off part of his finger?
If she threw a bottle at Depp.

yup, there it goes… the overreach… too bad they couldn’t find any other woman in his life to testify to similar treatment… because that’s what an abuser does; you go from zero to sixty at age 55.

Betcha $14.5 million dollars this is the sexual abuse story Kate James said Amber took from her own experiences and co-opted.

Interesting note...while a lengthy sidebar was taking place, the courtroom view showed Sean, the new PR guy for AH, sitting and chatting next to a talking head from Court TV. Narrative instructions, perhaps? JMO

Sky News

Warning: Graphic allegations of sexual violence

Psychologist Dawn Hughes is now telling the court about allegations of sexual violence Amber Heard made to her about Johnny Depp.

The next post contains graphic details of sexual violence allegations that some readers might find disturbing.

Allegations of sexual violence

Psychologist Dawn Hughes now tells the court about Amber Heard's reports of sexual violence.

She says there were times when Johnny Depp was "drunk or high" that he tried to have sex with the actress. This is when he was "angry" and in "moments of dominance", not "loving" moments, she says.

Dr Hughes tells the court that Heard reported a time in Hicksville, California, which was quite early on in their relationship, where Depp was accusing the actress of a woman "hitting on her" - something that has come up earlier in the trial.

Dr Hughes says Depp sexually abused Heard later on on this occasion.

There was also another incident in the Bahamas, the psychologist says. Heard looks visibly upset by this evidence.

And during their now infamous fight in Australia in 2015, Depp was beating Heard and choking her and then "penetrated" her with a bottle, the psychologist says. This was "one of the most severe" incidents, she says.

Heard reported "going outside of her body and the only thing she was thinking is, 'oh God, I hope it's not the broken one".

Sky News

Warning: Graphic allegations of sexual violence

Psychologist Dawn Hughes is now telling the court about allegations of sexual violence Amber Heard made to her about Johnny Depp.

The next post contains graphic details of sexual violence allegations that some readers might find disturbing.

Allegations of sexual violence

Psychologist Dawn Hughes now tells the court about Amber Heard's reports of sexual violence.

She says there were times when Johnny Depp was "drunk or high" that he tried to have sex with the actress. This is when he was "angry" and in "moments of dominance", not "loving" moments, she says.

Dr Hughes tells the court that Heard reported a time in Hicksville, California, which was quite early on in their relationship, where Depp was accusing the actress of a woman "hitting on her" - something that has come up earlier in the trial.

Dr Hughes says Depp sexually abused Heard later on on this occasion.

There was also another incident in the Bahamas, the psychologist says. Heard looks visibly upset by this evidence.

And during their now infamous fight in Australia in 2015, Depp was beating Heard and choking her and then "penetrated" her with a bottle, the psychologist says. This was "one of the most severe" incidents, she says.

Heard reported "going outside of her body and the only thing she was thinking is, 'oh God, I hope it's not the broken one".

‘i hope it’s not the broken one’… because she wouldn’t know, lol.

I’m sorry, but in addition to being a fantasist she’s just vile, IMO.

Sky News

Psychological abuse on both sides

Asked about psychological abuse, Dr Dawn Hughes says there were a "number of psychologically abusive behaviours" and Heard admitted some of these as well.

She admitted calling Depp some horrible names, Dr Hughes says, and regrets this.

Depp would call her names such as "w****", "sl*t" and c***", and criticise Heard's ambition, Dr Hughes says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus