VA - Justin Eberhart, 38, Portsmouth, 19 Oct 2008

Well, the most interesting part is that this DH guy had threatened in the past to kill him. Why? Was this said as a joke of some kind or was there actually bad blood between them?

Also, the gun must have been properly registered or else the police would have arrested the shooter on the spot, right? So why was the guy carrying a gun anyway? Is there not a different license for owning a gun and carrying a gun?

I can certainly see why the parents want the situation to be investigated.

Interesting point.
KY, at one point the girlfriend said that the gun was in DH's pocket when he got out of the car. This would be a concealed weapon, if I am thinking correctly...

KY's 'story' has drastically changed each time she talks to family members.
At one time she said DH was just inside the door of the home when the altercation between he and Justin happened. At one point she said that DH only partially got out of the car....ever...period...never got out totally of the car yet wrestled with Justin with the gun discharging TWICE!!!!????

The crime tape around the yard supports the evidence that Justin was killed outside his home in his yard.

This young girl had better start getting her stories straight, IMO....

Also, the EMT who was inside the car said that he tried to administer CPR to Justin. If so was he covered in blood as Justin's injuries would have caused massive 'bleed-out'??? If not covered in blood with evidence of trying to save Justin's life, was this not depraved indifference???

The girlfriend could be lying. Or the police are really interested in what she has to say about the incident. Doesn't sound like this police department is sensitive to victims.

This is what I am understanding from Justin's parents... The insensitivity of this Police Department is astounding to say the least....in my opinion.

Well, the most interesting part is that this DH guy had threatened in the past to kill him. Why? Was this said as a joke of some kind or was there actually bad blood between them?

Also, the gun must have been properly registered or else the police would have arrested the shooter on the spot, right? So why was the guy carrying a gun anyway? Is there not a different license for owning a gun and carrying a gun?

I can certainly see why the parents want the situation to be investigated.

Justin had talked to his father prior to the phone call from Thumpes Bar and Grill the night of his death about DH threatening to kill him. Justin was concerned and upset by the threat, enough so to discuss it with his father in a previous phone conversation. I do not think it was said in a jokingly fashion. I think it was a threat and that the threat was indeed carried out the night of Justin's death. Why he said it I do not know.

Possibilities... Maybe the 'dramma queen' girlfriend told DH bad things about Justin to get attention. Maybe there were previous domestic incidences... BUT NONE were EVER reported to the Police....

If they were bad enough to call a friend who threatened to kill your boyfriend and then there was another one, would you call the guy who had threatened to kill your boyfriend or would you call 911???

Justin's death is such a tragedy. It should never have happened. My heart goes out to you and to Justin's family. This is a nightmare that no parents should ever have to be a part of. I have been in the shoes of these parents as my youngest daughter was murdered by her ex-husband when she was 25 years old. He shot her three times and then ran. They left a little girl who was close to 5 years behind.

Even though I live in the same area where my daughter was murdered it is really a nightmare when you are trying to deal with a service for your child and trying to find out everything that you can about the murder and what LE is doing. I also had to cope with the media. I can't even explain how a person feels if we can even feel anything but pain to the very bottom of our souls.
It really is a nightmare.

I don't understand why Justin's parents weren't notified by LE after the murder. No parents should ever have to hear about the death of their child through "whoever." That is a duty of LE to notify parents and spouses. It is cold and cruel to have to hear it from someone else.

I also don't understand why LE refuses to answer the phone calls of Justin's parents. That is uncalled for. I was very fortunate as our lead detective stayed in contact with me up until the killer was caught. He shared info with me and I knew what they were doing at all times. Parents shouldn't ever be totally shut out. I realize that there are things that LE can't share but they can give the parents as much info as they are giving the girlfriend.

The guy that shot Justin knew that there was a problem when him and his friends went to pick up the girlfriend. Why would he bring a gun with him? That was just asking for trouble and I'm sure he knew that. If the girlfriend was already in the car why did the killer get out of the car with his gun? He should have just driven off. I would think that some type of charges should take place against the killer. He brought the gun...he got out of the car with the gun. It isn't a case of self defense because Justin didn't have a weapon.
If the two guys got into a struggle over the gun and it went off I would think that it would be looked at as Justin trying to defend himself as the killer had a gun. If the guy had threatened to kill him not long before that then I can understand Justin trying to take the gun away from him...if that is what happened. He probably thought for sure that the killer was going to carry through with his previous threat. A scary situation.

I hope that the people in the car are honest in what they believe happened. Maybe Justin's parents should start recording the calls from the girlfriend if she is changing her story when they talk. That is what I would do. I would tape her and then take the tapes with me when I go to the town the murder took place in and give them to LE or an investigator if Justin's family hire one.

It sounds like Justin's girlfriend over-reacted concerning the argument they had that started this tragedy. It doesn't sound like they had come to the point of hitting or anything. She had seperated herself from Justin and he had gone on out to feed his dogs. Why did she call her friends....drama? I hope that she feels some guilt over her part in this.

I wouldn't worry to much about people saying bad things about Justin. The people that knew him well know what kind of a person he was and for those that didn't know him...they really don't matter. If he was well liked you probably won't hear many negative things said. Maybe none.

Again, my heart goes out to Justin's parents. They are having to cope with so much and it really becomes overwhelming at times. How do you grieve for your child when so many other things are going on? Your mind is so full of it all that you feel like you are on a merry-go-round going full speed. I hope that they are able to get some straight answers soon from LE. When they are able to go to the town that the murder took place in tell them to really keep on LE and not to take no for an answer. Don't call...go to the PD. They have the right to some answers. They won't be ignored if they go in person and refuse to leave until they have some answers. Go every day if need be but be persistant. Go to the newspapers if need be. The media will be happy to do an interview with them. Have friends write letters to the editor in the papers. Everyone reads them. Enough said for now..lol.

Justin's death is such a tragedy. It should never have happened. My heart goes out to you and to Justin's family. This is a nightmare that no parents should ever have to be a part of. I have been in the shoes of these parents as my youngest daughter was murdered by her ex-husband when she was 25 years old. He shot her three times and then ran. They left a little girl who was close to 5 years behind.

Even though I live in the same area where my daughter was murdered it is really a nightmare when you are trying to deal with a service for your child and trying to find out everything that you can about the murder and what LE is doing. I also had to cope with the media. I can't even explain how a person feels if we can even feel anything but pain to the very bottom of our souls.
It really is a nightmare.

I don't understand why Justin's parents weren't notified by LE after the murder. No parents should ever have to hear about the death of their child through "whoever." That is a duty of LE to notify parents and spouses. It is cold and cruel to have to hear it from someone else.

I also don't understand why LE refuses to answer the phone calls of Justin's parents. That is uncalled for. I was very fortunate as our lead detective stayed in contact with me up until the killer was caught. He shared info with me and I knew what they were doing at all times. Parents shouldn't ever be totally shut out. I realize that there are things that LE can't share but they can give the parents as much info as they are giving the girlfriend.

The guy that shot Justin knew that there was a problem when him and his friends went to pick up the girlfriend. Why would he bring a gun with him? That was just asking for trouble and I'm sure he knew that. If the girlfriend was already in the car why did the killer get out of the car with his gun? He should have just driven off. I would think that some type of charges should take place against the killer. He brought the gun...he got out of the car with the gun. It isn't a case of self defense because Justin didn't have a weapon.
If the two guys got into a struggle over the gun and it went off I would think that it would be looked at as Justin trying to defend himself as the killer had a gun. If the guy had threatened to kill him not long before that then I can understand Justin trying to take the gun away from him...if that is what happened. He probably thought for sure that the killer was going to carry through with his previous threat. A scary situation.

I hope that the people in the car are honest in what they believe happened. Maybe Justin's parents should start recording the calls from the girlfriend if she is changing her story when they talk. That is what I would do. I would tape her and then take the tapes with me when I go to the town the murder took place in and give them to LE or an investigator if Justin's family hire one.

It sounds like Justin's girlfriend over-reacted concerning the argument they had that started this tragedy. It doesn't sound like they had come to the point of hitting or anything. She had seperated herself from Justin and he had gone on out to feed his dogs. Why did she call her friends....drama? I hope that she feels some guilt over her part in this.

I wouldn't worry to much about people saying bad things about Justin. The people that knew him well know what kind of a person he was and for those that didn't know him...they really don't matter. If he was well liked you probably won't hear many negative things said. Maybe none.

Again, my heart goes out to Justin's parents. They are having to cope with so much and it really becomes overwhelming at times. How do you grieve for your child when so many other things are going on? Your mind is so full of it all that you feel like you are on a merry-go-round going full speed. I hope that they are able to get some straight answers soon from LE. When they are able to go to the town that the murder took place in tell them to really keep on LE and not to take no for an answer. Don't call...go to the PD. They have the right to some answers. They won't be ignored if they go in person and refuse to leave until they have some answers. Go every day if need be but be persistant. Go to the newspapers if need be. The media will be happy to do an interview with them. Have friends write letters to the editor in the papers. Everyone reads them. Enough said for now..lol.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you sincerely or your MOST WONDERFUL Heartfelt Post~

My heart goes out to Justin's family and to you, Bobbiesangel for your own tragic loss...God Bless You.~

Justin's parents might want to talk with someone at the Virginia-Pilot or one of the local news stations about the threat that DH made on Justin earlier.

I also find it hard to believe (but I guess not impossible) for two bullets to have been fired during the struggle.

It seems strange that DH would threaten Justin's life and then the very night that Justin is killed have gone out to celebrate with him. It just seems a little coincidental.

I feel so bad for Justin's parents. I would think that since they are next of kin (not the gf) that the LE would have to talk with them.

Please tell Justin's parents not to give up until they are satisfied and get the truth. Just because LE is insensitive to their pain doesn't mean the citizens of Portsmouth are.

I was not saying those things to be offensive, Angel. I do think it is important to know if alcohol or drugs were involved and if there were underlying issues with Justin which prompted the gf to call her friends. I never meant to say I was hellbent on trashing anyone here because I certainly am not! (And we should probably refrain from trashing his gf and calling her names, too.)

We do have to look at the past history of the victim and those associated with the crime equally. It isn't meant to be anything other than trying to figure out why this happened. You have to know those things to arrive at any kind of correct conclusion as they are facts which precede the crime. Problems and issues surrounding what happened beforehand are very important. Not to investigate Justin along with the people in the car won't give a clear picture of what led up to this horrific ending.

You asked me to help and I am trying to do just that. I am sorry if I am asking tough questions. I wouldn't if I didn't honestly feel they needed answers.

What was the reason for the prior threat from the person who shot him? What relationship did that person have with Justin and with the gf? Was he an old bf?

Justin's parents might want to talk with someone at the Virginia-Pilot or one of the local news stations about the threat that DH made on Justin earlier.

I also find it hard to believe (but I guess not impossible) for two bullets to have been fired during the struggle.

It seems strange that DH would threaten Justin's life and then the very night that Justin is killed have gone out to celebrate with him. It just seems a little coincidental.

I feel so bad for Justin's parents. I would think that since they are next of kin (not the gf) that the LE would have to talk with them.

Please tell Justin's parents not to give up until they are satisfied and get the truth. Just because LE is insensitive to their pain doesn't mean the citizens of Portsmouth are.

Justin's dad said that he has called all the local media and they left the name The Virginia-Pilot here written on an index card for me to keep checking there for them. I think that they said Justin's little brother had wriitten a letter to the editor there and called and talked to them as well.

They were here for three hours yesterday and evening looking online here at Websleuths reading and at the video and articles online.

They wanted me to thank every one of you for all of your hard work and help. They are passing on every tidbit of information on to their lawyer in the hopes that it will help find Justice for Justin.

Thank you all so very much!!!! I can't tell you how sincerely thankful I am to all of you for extending such generous offerings of your hard work, time and kind and gracious thoughts and prayers for Justin and his family.

You are all Angels of Rescue on this one!!!

I was not saying those things to be offensive, Angel. I do think it is important to know if alcohol or drugs were involved and if there were underlying issues with Justin which prompted the gf to call her friends. I never meant to say I was hellbent on trashing anyone here because I certainly am not! (And we should probably refrain from trashing his gf and calling her names, too.)

We do have to look at the past history of the victim and those associated with the crime equally. It isn't meant to be anything other than trying to figure out why this happened. You have to know those things to arrive at any kind of correct conclusion as they are facts which precede the crime. Problems and issues surrounding what happened beforehand are very important. Not to investigate Justin along with the people in the car won't give a clear picture of what led up to this horrific ending.

You asked me to help and I am trying to do just that. I am sorry if I am asking tough questions. I wouldn't if I didn't honestly feel they needed answers.

What was the reason for the prior threat from the person who shot him? What relationship did that person have with Justin and with the gf? Was he an old bf?

Oh Heaven's No...SS. Please...Please... I did not mean my post to be offensive...toward you... I am very sorry if it sounded that way. Please forgive me... I have been on this case non-stop on phone or online or in person. Did not get to sleep last night until after 5 AM... Please know I meant nothing personally in my post...

I know and understand exactly what you mean about having to investigate all aspects of every case to find truth and justice. I've been there through tons of cases... and I know at some point I may have to back off from this one and allow others to take the front and center and run with the research and sleuthing as I am too close to it to handle some aspects of it right now... Right now, I am extremely protective of Justin's family. I just can't standby and watch if they are forced to experience more unnecessary pain than they already have if it can be avoided or at least post-poned until they have gotten through the shock an pain of laying Justin to rest.

Please forgive...I do need your help! You are magnificent and an invaluable help to finding truth and justice here!!! And I thank you for being willing to help.

Most Sincerely,
AW

SS, I agree. You have to look at both sides because somewhere lies the truth. I think you can look at both sides without trashing the victim. If negative things come out it certainly doesn't make Justin, less of a human being, nor does it make him less loved. Regardless, of what negative comes out, Justin didn't deserve to die.

I want to echo what everyone has said here. I hope Justin's parents can get to Portsmouth soon. Justin has a right to a full, thorough, unbiased investigation, and his parents have a right to answers.
I don't feel like they should have to hire a p.i. in order to get these answers. In a perfect world that would be the case. I would first start by contacting local media. They could do that in VA, and in his hometown in GA. Sometimes all LE needs is to know the parents aren't going to just accept this in order to get moving. If that doesn't work, they should start moving up the LE food chain.

On a personal note, sometimes we get all fired up wanting/demanding answers. Once we realize they won't come easily or immediately we get discouraged and back down. I hope his family is willing to fight hard and long for Justice. It can often be an uphill, tiring battle. The pursuit can sometimes consume every aspect of your life and it is not always easy. Please help them to understand this. Justice always comes, but it doesn't always come in the ways we had hoped or imagined. I pray for courage and perseverance for his family.

SS, I agree. You have to look at both sides because somewhere lies the truth. I think you can look at both sides without trashing the victim. If negative things come out it certainly doesn't make Justin, less of a human being, nor does it make him less loved. Regardless, of what negative comes out, Justin didn't deserve to die.
No, he didn't. My heart truly goes out to Justin, his family, and his friends. It is a tragic situation for everyone. :(

I agree that the purpose isn't to trash anyone here especially Justin. He sounds like he was a great dad to his little girl and people loved him very much. The weekly phone calls home show he was family oriented which is another good indication of his character.

I feel so sorry for his little girl growing up without her father. My daughter (now in her 30s) experienced such a loss at an early age and it was difficult. This is a bit off topic, but please tell the family there is a book called, Heaven Has A Floor written by Evelyn Roberts. Someone gave this book to us and it was a Godsend for my child. She now keeps a couple onhand to give to other children who are experiencing such a tragedy.

Oh Heaven's No...SS. Please...Please... I did not mean my post to be offensive...toward you... I am very sorry if it sounded that way. Please forgive me... I have been on this case non-stop on phone or online or in person. Did not get to sleep last night until after 5 AM... Please know I meant nothing personally in my post...

I know and understand exactly what you mean about having to investigate all aspects of every case to find truth and justice. I've been there through tons of cases... and I know at some point I may have to back off from this one and allow others to take the front and center and run with the research and sleuthing as I am too close to it to handle some aspects of it right now... Right now, I am extremely protective of Justin's family. I just can't standby and watch if they are forced to experience more unnecessary pain than they already have if it can be avoided or at least post-poned until they have gotten through the shock an pain of laying Justin to rest.

Please forgive...I do need your help! You are magnificent and an invaluable help to finding truth and justice here!!! And I thank you for being willing to help.

Most Sincerely,
AW
I get a bit "gung-ho" and sometimes forget we are dealing with delicate matters. I jump in with both feet and hit the ground running on cases. I look at things analytically instead of emotionally at times because if I didn't...I couldn't do this day after day. (I have to learn to reel that in a bit perhaps!) I am not used to having the family reading along with everything we post as we have a separate forum for those of the missing where they go for support and don't have to see details of the case as it progresses. (I asked about this for crime victims to see if we have a place for support there, too. I will let you know when I get an anwer.) Hugs~

I get a bit "gung-ho" and sometimes forget we are dealing with delicate matters. I jump in with both feet and hit the ground running on cases. I look at things analytically instead of emotionally at times because if I didn't...I couldn't do this day after day. (I have to learn to reel that in a bit perhaps!) I am not used to having the family reading along with everything we post as we have a separate forum for those of the missing where they go for support and don't have to see details of the case as it progresses. (I asked about this for crime victims to see if we have a place for support there, too. I will let you know when I get an anwer.) Hugs~

Thank You SS, for that drive and that intensity that you are gifted with in search of truth....

My phone is ringing off the hook all morning after parents were here last night and read Websleuths. All friends here have gotten word about Websleuths and everyone in Justin's hometown who loves and cares about his family and friends are now aware of us and keeping abreast of information here. Friends from Portsmouth have also heard and are aware of us trying to help so hopefully we may do some good...
be right back -phone.

Thank You SS, for that drive and that intensity that you are gifted with in search of truth....

My phone is ringing off the hook all morning after parents were here last night and read Websleuths. All friends here have gotten word about Websleuths and everyone in Justin's hometown who loves and cares about his family and friends are now aware of us and keeping abreast of information here. Friends from Portsmouth have also heard and are aware of us trying to help so hopefully we may do some good...
be right back -phone.

Encourage these friends to email the newspapers and call LE demanding a REAL investigation. It is SOOO great that so many want answers for Justin. There really is power in numbers, so use it to your advantage!!!

I don't have anything to contribute in a investigation sort of way. But what I can contribute is what I know of Justin. I grew up with him. I remember the first time I met him, even what we were both wearing.

I know that everyone probably realizes this from angelwngs posts, but Justin was truly a great person.

We dated for a short time during high school - after years and years of knowing one another. Justin was the most even-tempered person. I really don't think I have ever seen him upset about anything. He never - not even once - in all the years that I knew him, lost his cool.

So, at first when I read that it was a domestic dispute...I said "WHAT???" Justin Eberhart involved in a domestic dispute?? My first reaction was "No Way!". But then I started thinking...can someone really change that much in 10 years??? (I haven't seen him since we graduated). But I really don't think that he could have.

He was a wonderful person. In every way. He made typical teenage mistakes, ones that we all made...back when I knew him. But never, never was he one to have put himself in a situation in which he would have found a gun pointing at his chest.

Maybe his downfall was that he was too calm. And cared about people too much. He has never been one to give up on someone so easily...even if they were a "drama queen" or someone that needed help (as it sounds KY was). He has never been one to just leave someone because of their shortcomings. Maybe he was just trying to stick it out...for her...because he cared. But she clearly does not care about him at this time.

One thing I do have to say, is that she best hope that she does not make it to that small town to the funeral. Justin had a lot of friends that care deeply for him. She will not be safe from many unkind words.

I pray for her heart, and the heart of the others involved...that they will do the right thing.

I will do what I can to investigate online sites (Myspace, Facebook, etc to get as much info as I can). So PM me the names if possible.

This individual, that took such a light in life, needs to be prosecuted. Its not right...not right at all. That such a scum of a human being should be able to walk free without anything...and Justin, such a wonderful man, should have to die.

be right back -phone.
We welcome them with open arms here. :blowkiss:

Encourage these friends to email the newspapers and call LE demanding a REAL investigation. It is SOOO great that so many want answers for Justin. There really is power in numbers, so use it to your advantage!!!

Excellent Idea MissieMT!!! Thank you. My mind is a little groggy at this point and I have not been asking them to email, call, write etc...

Thank YOU!!!!! Will get on it right now! :blowkiss:

I don't have anything to contribute in a investigation sort of way. But what I can contribute is what I know of Justin. I grew up with him. I remember the first time I met him, even what we were both wearing.

I know that everyone probably realizes this from angelwngs posts, but Justin was truly a great person.

We dated for a short time during high school - after years and years of knowing one another. Justin was the most even-tempered person. I really don't think I have ever seen him upset about anything. He never - not even once - in all the years that I knew him, lost his cool.

So, at first when I read that it was a domestic dispute...I said "WHAT???" Justin Eberhart involved in a domestic dispute?? My first reaction was "No Way!". But then I started thinking...can someone really change that much in 10 years??? (I haven't seen him since we graduated). But I really don't think that he could have.

He was a wonderful person. In every way. He made typical teenage mistakes, ones that we all made...back when I knew him. But never, never was he one to have put himself in a situation in which he would have found a gun pointing at his chest.

Maybe his downfall was that he was too calm. And cared about people too much. He has never been one to give up on someone so easily...even if they were a "drama queen" or someone that needed help (as it sounds KY was). He has never been one to just leave someone because of their shortcomings. Maybe he was just trying to stick it out...for her...because he cared. But she clearly does not care about him at this time.

One thing I do have to say, is that she best hope that she does not make it to that small town to the funeral. Justin had a lot of friends that care deeply for him. She will not be safe from many unkind words.

I pray for her heart, and the heart of the others involved...that they will do the right thing.

I will do what I can to investigate online sites (Myspace, Facebook, etc to get as much info as I can). So PM me the names if possible.

This individual, that took such a light in life, needs to be prosecuted. Its not right...not right at all. That such a scum of a human being should be able to walk free without anything...and Justin, such a wonderful man, should have to die.

Oh Darling, you have contributed so much with your post here about Justin and your friendship with him. More than you can know, your words are very healing to others who love Justin. I do not know your name and that is not important for you to share, nor should you on any public forum. But if I knew you and could get to you here in Justin's hometown this morning I would give you a huge hug of shared compassion and thanks and love from Justin's family and from myself! I know that they would want to do so themselves!

Most Sincerely,
AW

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase