VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have erased the airport from my brain. Who would (very quickly) stop on a roadside, sling her luggage bag into a ditch, and quickly drive away?

It is hard for me to believe that she would do that herself, unless she wanted it to be found, and she wanted to stage a kidnapping. But I just can't accept that she would want that.

I totally believe that she might want to run away from her old life for awhile. But I can't figure why she would want all the scrutiny and attention that comes with being a missing person. If she wanted to run off she could have done so without throwing her suitcase in a ditch, visible along the road.

The only other people that come to mind, that might quickly sling luggage out and quickly drive away, would be desperate types who needed to urgently get rid of a missing girl's luggage from their car.

None of this makes any sense at all. Efforts to find her need to be stepped up!

I guess I should have worded this differently ..

WHO and WHY would someone (very quickly) stop on a roadside, sling her luggage bag into a ditch, jump back in the vehicle, and quickly drive away?

WHO = Someone who is frantic, upset, or ?

WHY = it's dark, no one around to see?

My heart of hearts wants LE to find her. As for the total black-out on news, I explained the dearth of MSM of the case. Last night NG went on about the murder, but seemed to be using a re-run of the Spotsy LE.

I have a feeling this total blackout of news worthy of sleuthing is due to LE doing a very extensive investigation. At least, I hope that is the case.

As for it's being easy to find remains (and I hope this isn't the case with Katelin), There are many places to successfully hide a body, even in Springfield. Every so often, including fairly recently, the remains of a person have been found years afterwards. The last one I recall was off one of the exit ramps on I-95!

Law enforcement has confirmed that SD was at the mall when he said he was, nothing more. No photos, no video evidence (unless it's being withheld).

Was it confirmed he was at the mall or just "in the area"?

Woke up thinking about Katelin this morning. The text messages are bothering me. Wish we knew more about her normal routine of calling and texting. MSM did report that she texts with her mother often throughout the day. That makes me think that she probably texts with her girlfriend and sister pretty often too. I wonder if there were any other texts from her that day or if they suddenly stopped at a particular time.

My daughter flew from AZ to NJ yesterday. She is in her late 20's and is a very seasoned traveler. However, she still called or texted me every step of the way: Leaving the house now, driving to the airport/50 miles to go, at the airport, checked my luggage, made it through security, at the gate, on the plane, just landed, met my "dad", got luggage, in the car, made it to Grandma's. (I find it ironic that it was my husband, my daughter's step-dad that met her at the airport and drove her to my mom's. He happens to be in NJ working and it was convenient for him to pick her up.)

Traveling is stressful, even for experienced travelers. There is always the feeling of: Am I going to make it on time for the flight? Is there going to be a tie up at security? Will my luggage get lost? Will the plane crash? and so on.. I get the impression that Katelin has not traveled very often and would expect a similar ongoing dialog with her family and/or fiancee throughout her trip home. Did this happen on the way out to VA and how was this different the day she was planning to fly back to AZ? I am not asking for the answers here, since we don't have any verified insiders, but just throwing out the questions that are on my mind.

Sorry I may have missed the discussion, but does she have any history of mental health problems, depression, suicidal thoughts or drug use? I worry about the possibility of a psychological breakdown. Seeing family could be stressful or sometimes you might go see them for one last goodbye if you had thoughts of ending it all, starting the cosmetology school might be an anxiety increasing trigger. She could have sent the texts herself if she didn't want family worried straight away and it would explain the ditching of the luggage, if in a confused state or determined that she wasn't going to need any of her stuff any more.

I would really like clarification if he was at the mall or just "in the area" because that would make a huge difference. I lived in Springfield for several years before moving into the District two years ago.

The mall is pretty much it's own separate entity in the area. There's an apartment complex that backs up to the mall (I think, don't quote me on this, they're called avalon at springfield station??) and there's also a Men's Wearhouse and a small diner in the outskirts of the mall parking lot and that's about it on that side of the street. But, that mall was almost entirely gutted for years, aside from the target and macy's because it was attracting some not so great clientele. However, since the recent remodel, it's much nicer. But, even when it was in not so great shape, I never felt unsafe (I'm in my 20's, 5'2, 105lbs. So, quite petite and easily "snatchable").

Across the street is a very busy strip mall that has a staples, party city, best buy, starbucks, ulta, etc.

The Franconia-Springfield station is maybe .25mi walk from the mall in a HEAVILY trafficked area, as one has to cross under the ffx county Pkwy to get to the metro station. And a mile in the opposite direction past the mall is the "mixing bowl" where 95, 395, and 495 all converge and take you to the inner and outer loops of the beltway.

I just don't see how it's possible for someone to be snatched, unnoticed, in that area at all. Especially not on a Saturday in December when holiday shoppers are out in droves.

This is just so concerning.

:moo:

My thinking is that the cameras didn't capture and image of her because she wasn't there. I don't think she sent the message.

I agree. If she was planning on bolting & starting over, why text Amber at all? There were still a few hours until Amber would be expecting her home so if it were just to buy time that doesn't make sense. In fact, it would give her LESS time. I think Katelin would know that a text saying her flight plans were delayed would get an immediate response from Amber. If my husband (even before we were married) was supposed to be flying home but texted me to say he would be booking a later flight, I would immediately call and figure out what was going on. If his phone was off I'd go into alert mode immediately. Which is what it sounds like Amber did.

I think whoever sent those texts knew Katelin well enough to know her mom & Amber but wasn't/isn't smart enough to know how they'd react to those texts. Just my opinion. I know 19 year olds can do whatever they want but this is just how I see it.

There's an apartment complex that backs up to the mall (I think, don't quote me on this, they're called avalon at springfield station??)

Could she have had SD drop her at the mall, but instead of going in the mall she walked to this apartment complex?

I would really like clarification if he was at the mall or just "in the area" because that would make a huge difference. I lived in Springfield for several years before moving into the District two years ago.

The mall is pretty much it's own separate entity in the area. There's an apartment complex that backs up to the mall (I think, don't quote me on this, they're called avalon at springfield station??) and there's also a Men's Wearhouse and a small diner in the outskirts of the mall parking lot and that's about it on that side of the street. But, that mall was almost entirely gutted for years, aside from the target and macy's because it was attracting some not so great clientele. However, since the recent remodel, it's much nicer. But, even when it was in not so great shape, I never felt unsafe (I'm in my 20's, 5'2, 105lbs. So, quite petite and easily "snatchable").

Across the street is a very busy strip mall that has a staples, party city, best buy, starbucks, ulta, etc.

The Franconia-Springfield station is maybe .25mi walk from the mall in a HEAVILY trafficked area, as one has to cross under the ffx county Pkwy to get to the metro station. And a mile in the opposite direction past the mall is the "mixing bowl" where 95, 395, and 495 all converge and take you to the inner and outer loops of the beltway.

I just don't see how it's possible for someone to be snatched, unnoticed, in that area at all. Especially not on a Saturday in December when holiday shoppers are out in droves.

This is just so concerning.

I'll go back and see if i can find a link, it's toward the beginning of the thread. From what I recall, LE didn't have any video, they basically made a statement that there was evidence that the SF was in the area he claimed. They went on to say that Katelin wasn't seen.

So in the selfie photo of Katelin ,is that what kind of phone she had? Is the one in her picture hers?

Also what kinda of shoes was she wearing? Seems like we could get that at least.

Could she have nap SD drop her at the mall, but she never went inside the mall. Instead could she have walked to this apartment complex?

It's certainly possible, but I don't see a reason as to why she would do that, unless she knew someone living there. They're quite expensive apartments with mostly single, young professionals who live there due to its proximity to the metro station since springfield is largely a commuter town. The only scenario in which I can see her getting snatched without anyone noticing is if she went through the parking garage to get to the metro station instead of entering at the street level location (near the bus stops and kiss & ride drop off areas). There is a pedestrian skybridge on the third level of the garage that connects it to the station and, on the weekends, there are areas of the garage that are pretty empty and would afford a predator a prime opportunity to grab someone without anyone else seeing it happen.

I agree. If she was planning on bolting & starting over, why text Amber at all?.

Who said she was planing? Something could have came up that she felt she had to do. Maybe she planned on catching a later flight.

First there was this:

Sullivan says the teen’s stepdad told her Akens decided she wanted to go to Springfield Mall first. She then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to Reagan National Airport.

At this point, police cannot confirm that Akens left Spotsylvania.
http://wric.com/2015/12/07/luggage-found-of-missing-spotsylvania-19-year-old-female/

Then this:

According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.
http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne/no-sign-katelin-akens-19-surveillance-video-police

I think putting the two bolded statements together speaks volumes, to me anyway. JMO

It's certainly possible, but I don't see a reason as to why she would do that, unless she knew someone living there. They're quite expensive apartments with mostly single, young professionals who live there due to its proximity to the metro station since springfield is largely a commuter town. The only scenario in which I can see her getting snatched without anyone noticing is if she went through the parking garage to get to the metro station instead of entering at the street level location (near the bus stops and kiss & ride drop off areas). There is a pedestrian skybridge on the third level of the garage that connects it to the station and, on the weekends, there are areas of the garage that are pretty empty and would afford a predator a prime opportunity to grab someone without anyone else seeing it happen.

The garage would probably have cameras. So I'm thinking she might have went the apartment complex. Either to meet someone(s) who lives there, or maybe meet up with someone(s) around that area.

First there was this:

Sullivan says the teen’s stepdad told her Akens decided she wanted to go to Springfield Mall first. She then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to Reagan National Airport.

http://wric.com/2015/12/07/luggage-found-of-missing-spotsylvania-19-year-old-female/

Then this:

According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.
http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne/no-sign-katelin-akens-19-surveillance-video-police

Okay, so JMO MOO BBQSAUCE, etc, reading between the lines, I'm theorizing that they caught SF's truck on camera at one of the auto dealerships that is across the street from the mall that one must drive past after exiting the freeway. Then, if his story is true, he may have entered the mall parking lot from that side street, and entered directly into the garage by macys and dropped her off there. I guess it's possible there would be no cameras in that particular spot.

First there was this:

Then this:

I am thinking that since they are saying they can confirm his car was there but they can not confirm he or Katelin were there, might be that he had some type of tracking device on the vehicle? Or some type of tracking on his phone? I know on my iPhone I have it setup where my husband, myself and two boys are in a "group". It shows exactly where the four of us went all day and at what times we were there based off of the tower connections. So maybe this is how they are connecting his vehicle to the area in some way.

It's just baffling to me that her LE in this town appear to be so tight lipped on most of their cases. I suppose this is how they handle their cases.

Okay, so JMO MOO BBQSAUCE, etc, reading between the lines, I'm theorizing that they caught SF's truck on camera at one of the auto dealerships that is across the street from the mall that one must drive past after exiting the freeway. Then, if his story is true, he may have entered the mall parking lot from that side street, and entered directly into the garage by macys and dropped her off there. I guess it's possible there would be no cameras in that particular spot.

I think it's also possible there is no video but they pinged his phone in the area.

First there was this:

Then this:

I'm sorry. Call me stubborn, but I can't see why the SD would lie about where he dropped her off. (Just my gut) tells me I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici