VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM for focus

Well, if the stepdad was a part of Katelin's life for around ten years, I don't think it is that odd that he was still taking an active role in her life. I don't know the situation first-hand, but maybe since he was still living in the area he often took part in helping out with the girls if their mom had to be at work or whatever.

moo

Thank you, Yes; BBM

"Akens, 19, was last seen Saturday when she was dropped off by her stepfather, who is divorced from Akens’ mother, Pearce said. The family is on friendly terms, he noted.

http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne/no-sign-katelin-akens-19-surveillance-video-police

If Katelin disappeared of her own volition, then fine. If she did not, then she is somewhere out there just waiting to be found. The really cold and probably snowy part of winter is here now and she needs to be found one way or the other.

I just do not get there being no updates or news from LE unless they are working on something they cannot or will not divulge right now.

MOO

See I think if she is out there voluntarily, someone is helping her.

Hey Folks,

If SD hasn't been named a suspect/poi, then he's off limits. You may discuss what's been mentioned in MSM about him, but that's it.

:tyou:

Is it normal procedure to seal search warrants in a case where the person is suspected to be missing voluntarily?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't think there's such a thing as "normal procedure" on this. From all the cases I've followed over the years, it's usually just a case by case call. I've followed some cases where it's happened and it made no sense to me at all, and others where it's happened and it made PERFECT sense, because there was info in there that could have either jeopardized the investigation [due to what was found] or put the missing person in a more dangerous position - or - publicly disclosed something they wanted to remain private [likewise, due to what was found].

In this case, it's 100% speculation on why it was done (at this point). It could be huge, or it could be just one of those things the Spotsylvania LE do because it's what they do.

BBM
Before coming to WS I had no idea how many people go missing every day and I know the number of threads here are probably only a fraction of the actual number. I've seen law enforcement and the media sometimes announce the person missing and that's all you hear unless it's a young child or an Amber Alert. Local media is different and will stick with a story longer, but there are cases they don't touch at all.

I'm still trying to figure out why some get more attention than others (not as obvious as I first thought), but anyway JMO.

Likewise. You hear numbers tossed out all the time in newscasts & read them in online articles but for whatever reason I never really sat and thought about it until I started following the missing forum here and began to see so many new cases EVERY day. It's kind of mind-boggling, really. Although I think the cases that get the most attention by both LE and MSM and the public, are the ones where the family, friends and loved ones simply refuse to shut up and go away. That old adage of the squeaky wheel getting the grease, and all that. And in the case of a missing loved one, that's NEVER a bad thing.

Keep in mind that what is "private" is not always so private and what people think is "anonymous" is not always so.
For example, IF she were using that Whisper App (supposedly allows you to post anonymous confessions) she could have verbalized some thoughts of leaving her current situation.

People think it is anonymous, but think again. If LE needs the info, it is there. From this article which site a Forbes article.
http://readwrite.com/2014/10/17/whisper-dont-trust-anonymous-apps-guardian

"In January, Forbes reported that Whisper does track users in order to ban harassers or bullies on the site, and that the app has enough information on users for law enforcement to be able to figure out who posts what on the app. Whisper CEO Michael Heyward is fine with that, Forbes notes."

The same applies to SnapChat. People *assume* the chat transcripts are deleted but that's not always the case, and there is no guarantee on the site itself that this will happen. I don't have a link handy but there was some news on this maybe a year or so ago where loads of snapchat transcripts were discovered and leaked.

Really glad to see Katelin's thread back open for discussion, but sad to see that there are no new developments.

Where are you, Katelin?

The same applies to SnapChat. People *assume* the chat transcripts are deleted but that's not always the case, and there is no guarantee on the site itself that this will happen. I don't have a link handy but there was some news on this maybe a year or so ago where loads of snapchat transcripts were discovered and leaked.

There is a way that you can actually save the photo's from SnapChat. I don't know how to do it but my son and my sister-in-law have told me this. :)

I just asked my son about Snapchat.He said You can save photos and text chat, and it gets saved to your camera roll (iPhone)

I just asked my son about Snapchat.He said You can save photos and text chat, and it gets saved to your camera roll (iPhone)

All you have to do is screen shot it before it disappears. Although it does alert the other person that you did so.

There is a way that you can actually save the photo's from SnapChat. I don't know how to do it but my son and my sister-in-law have told me this. :)

Screen capture will capture anything currently showing on your screen. However I believe Snapchat have a way of knowing if you have screen captured it and it will inform the sender that the receiver has "saved" the image.

Yes, I was speaking specifically about the Whisper app... :thinking:

Likewise. You hear numbers tossed out all the time in newscasts & read them in online articles but for whatever reason I never really sat and thought about it until I started following the missing forum here and began to see so many new cases EVERY day. It's kind of mind-boggling, really. Although I think the cases that get the most attention by both LE and MSM and the public, are the ones where the family, friends and loved ones simply refuse to shut up and go away. That old adage of the squeaky wheel getting the grease, and all that. And in the case of a missing loved one, that's NEVER a bad thing.

It is important for the family to be proactive, but there are of course limitations. The demographics that the victim belongs to, the circumstances, how much LE is saying, what else is happening in the news, how long ago the case happened is all going to play a role in how much coverage a case gets. In the case of Kelsie Schelling, for instance, her parents have a website and a FB page, they hold press conferences, they've filed a lawsuit against LE...they've done a lot...and Kelsie's case is not even a big local story. I don't know why but it's clear that there is something out of their control that prevents Kelsie's story from being more publicized. As a member of WS, I see so many cases where the parents are doing everything they can, and yes, they are getting more attention than they would if they were doing nothing, but they hardly have free reign of the media. I just think it's important to acknowledge that not every family is on equal footing or has the same opportunties or resources to publicize their family member's case.

Does anyone know the distance between the mall and where the luggage was found?

I haven't posted since thread #1 and I know some folks on WS are just getting into this thread, so this isn't in any way towards them...but it is so frustrating that we seem to just be going in circles with the same old articles and information that were released within days of the missing report being filed. It's been over a month! What is LE doing in that area? No updates in the Heather Ciccone case, either.

You would think after a month that:

1. LE has knowledge she left at own will, so they discourage search efforts and notify family and public that no one is endangered.

2. If missing against will and after a month of no progress, it's time for LE to release details that could help the public offer clues/details. Place last seen, her likely situation at time, etc. Reach out for the public's help and don't let this fade away.

This case/thread has way more attention from members here combined with very little updated information than any other thread I've ever come across on WS. Usually you get to Thread #2 because of how much information/detail/suspect/etc there is to discuss. It's great but also so frustrating. Anyone else feel that way?

This a map I made for Thread #1 that may help you:

attachment.php

Nice work! Was she going to the airport above Alexandria?

Just a thought not saying it's the case here but what if Katelin hooked up with someone who has reason to avoid LE? In that case she would lay low and not contact anyone with her location and if LE could tell from her social media that she hooked up with someone on their radar, they wouldn't want that to be public knowledge if said person was part of another investigation. Grasping at straws here.

Just a thought not saying it's the case here but what if Katelin hooked up with someone who has reason to avoid LE? In that case she would lay low and not contact anyone with her location and if LE could tell from her social media that she hooked up with someone on their radar, they wouldn't want that to be public knowledge if said person was part of another investigation. Grasping at straws here.

That's an interesting idea. I can see it being the case, but do you think if she's possibly with someone wanted by LE they would release that person's name and description? And vehicle. Depending on why the person is wanted. Like if it's someone with assault charges she might be in danger. Just a guess based on cases I've seen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member