VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm... If evidence was found suggesting she made her way back to Spotsylvania, like say: around where the luggage was found. It would explain why Fairfax is not running an investigation .
It may also just be the fact that the lugage was found in Spotsylvania , and that's where the suspiciousness starts.

I haven't read anything on phone pings. Maybe her phone pinged across county line after she was dropped off???

There's also this statement.

"Pearce would not say how the story was corroborated, saying that was part of the ongoing investigation."

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_d1261048-9f60-11e5-8ac1-9bfcd1eaae4e.html

So, if not by video, what are other ways LE might have corroborated the former SD's claim?

My first thought was a financial transaction she made there. But that would mean LE has access to her bank records and have seen that she's used her accounts since that day. I don't know if they do or not, but it would certainly back up the SD's claim that's where he dropped her off.

Or maybe a still shot of her at an ATM there? A private message on her FB to someone? Just guessing.

Has her fiance made any statements?

I just hate how there is nothing...no interviews, no statements by police, nothing.

There's also this statement.

"Pearce would not say how the story was corroborated, saying that was part of the ongoing investigation."

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_d1261048-9f60-11e5-8ac1-9bfcd1eaae4e.html

So, if not by video, what are other ways LE might have corroborated the former SD's claim?

Several, I think. Security personnel patrolling in vehicles, other eye witnesses like employees who smoke standing outside, phone pings of Katelin's or SD's phone. His GPS recent destinations.

MOO

I find it odd that it has not been released by LE how they can verify KA was at the mall.

Also, who discusses leaving their life on FB before they leave if they want to bow out quietly and or seem missing?

I find it odd that it has not been released by LE how they can verify KA was at the mall.

Also, who discusses leaving their life on FB before they leave if they want to bow out quietly and or seem missing?

It's astounding the kinds of conversations people have online when they think they are private conversations that no one will ever see, except them and the other person. All sorts of seedy things go on, under the guise of "privacy online" when the truth is, there is really no such thing.

I'm wondering if she had a private conversation with someone through FB Messenger and that's why the police have all of a sudden become silent.

They could have also found some leads that they want to be quiet about in case they run or something like that.

I honestly think (IMO) that the police know a lot more and have uncovered information from the FB search, or evidence elsewhere.

This case is so crazy with so many holes and no real information. I have a ton of questions.

This is the only recent MSM update mentioning Katelin since a month ago:

Investigators have confirmed that Akens’ stepfather dropped her off at the Springfield Mall that day, but what happened after that remains a mystery.

The only search warrant filed in Spotsylvania regarding the Akens case is also sealed. That warrant gave police the authority to search her Facebook account.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_4eea9054-a9b0-11e5-a16a-e7a7f3948818.html

This article was posted 12/23 and at the very end mentions the FB search warrant for AK's account. I can't seem to find any info on when that warrant was actually issued though. Interestingly enough, nearly all MSM coverage stopped around mid December but I did find this article interesting:

According to Katelin’s grandfather, David Akens, the 19-year-old was born in Goshen but grew up in Virginia. David along with his wife Mary and their son Jason, Katelin’s father, still live in Goshen.

http://www.goshennews.com/news/loca...cle_79c5d06a-a1a3-53e3-95e3-a7c390003b83.html

I don't recall seeing this info previously, but it's possible I just missed it.

So glad to see this reopened. Thank you mods for all your hard work and time!

This is so baffling. Where are you Katelin? I'm so disappointed not to hear any new LE updates. Even just a "we do not need public assistance at this time" or "please continue calling in with tips" or anything, would be reassuring to a degree.

Disappearances during/before/after plane travel home/away from family seem to be sort of common. I can't name the specific ones right now, but I know I've read at least two others (one of which was decades ago), and even more during travel to/away from home in general among young college aged people. Definitely shades of Maura Murray, as someone above mentioned.

I think it's really telling that LE hasn't named seeing any footage or sources from the mall. I feel like if they really thought she ran away, they'd say "We saw on footage/spoke to a source and the last place she was seen was ___ store in the mall at ___ time. Has anyone seen her after that? We need her to just confirm her well being." or something to that effect. I hate to just jump on the "hinky meter" wagon without any proof, but I would think/hope that if LE is really/mostly sure it is a case of an adult taking a break/leaving their current life, they would let the public know there isn't any danger.

IF she were already located and safe, chose to be missing by choice - I cant see LE wanting posters out with their number on them. They have better things to do than to answer calls about a found woman.

I think it is peculiar that it hasn't been released how they know she was at the mall. Iow, I think she was not at the mall and LE are being misleading for a reason - known to them, (to put someone at ease?) which is fine, but puzzling.

This is the only recent MSM update mentioning Katelin since a month ago:

Investigators have confirmed that Akens’ stepfather dropped her off at the Springfield Mall that day, but what happened after that remains a mystery.

The only search warrant filed in Spotsylvania regarding the Akens case is also sealed. That warrant gave police the authority to search her Facebook account.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_4eea9054-a9b0-11e5-a16a-e7a7f3948818.html
Is it normal procedure to seal search warrants in a case where the person is suspected to be missing voluntarily?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know if LE believes KA dumped the suitcase herself, but I will say this. I think there's a misconception that if LE and/or a family is not "pleading for the public's help" that they must have all of the answers. Check out the recent missing persons threads from just the past month or two. In how many cases is LE making huge public pleas for help? I think you'll find it's not as many as some might think, and we should be cautious not to read too much into that. JMO

From what has been reported it appears that LE believes KA is voluntarily missing. They stated as much early on, based on social media activity. Exactly what evidence they are working with, we don't know. But until LE can confirm she is "located", officially, KA a missing person. That is why LE has not stopped the efforts to circulate flyers. I do agree that a public update is due, and I hope we will hear one very soon.

BBM
Before coming to WS I had no idea how many people go missing every day and I know the number of threads here are probably only a fraction of the actual number. I've seen law enforcement and the media sometimes announce the person missing and that's all you hear unless it's a young child or an Amber Alert. Local media is different and will stick with a story longer, but there are cases they don't touch at all.

I'm still trying to figure out why some get more attention than others (not as obvious as I first thought), but anyway JMO.

I don't think she made it to the mall.

Now that I think about it, this is a great possibility. I even thought that maybe there was no foul play and her stepfather actually helped her (that might sound far fetched).

Being that there is no new information and that *maybe* her FB account was searched, I'm still wondering if she was talking to someone via messenger that is a possible lead or suspect.

If there was nothing in her FB which is also another possibility, I'm wondering if they think stepdad is a suspect but aren't acting yet so they don't blow it.

I don't know. I think LE is kind of bowing out because they know NOTHING, or they know SOMETHING.

Now that I think about it, this is a great possibility. I even thought that maybe there was no foul play and her stepfather actually helped her (that might sound far fetched).

Being that there is no new information and that *maybe* her FB account was searched, I'm still wondering if she was talking to someone via messenger that is a possible lead or suspect.

If there was nothing in her FB which is also another possibility, I'm wondering if they think stepdad is a suspect but aren't acting yet so they don't blow it.

I don't know. I think LE is kind of bowing out because they know NOTHING, or they know SOMETHING.

From the beginning this is where my hinky meter went. She secretly planned to meet an internet friend at the mall and was taken away or ran away after that. I hate to say it but I think more likely harm came to her after the meeting.

JMO

From the beginning this is where my hinky meter went. She secretly planned to meet an internet friend at the mall and was taken away or ran away after that. I hate to say it but I think more likely harm came to her after the meeting.

JMO

For me, that's a very plausible theory. I also want proof that she even made it to the mall. SO many possibilities. This is probably the weirdest case I've ever looked into. I hope one morning I wake up and there is a resolution...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona