Found Deceased VA - Kathleen 'Katie' Barham, 32, Portsmouth, 27 May 2015

I feel so bad for this family. On the bring katie home fb page, someone writes that katie's brother was murdered 15 years ago.

now the family might have to bury two children....... :(

Would her body be that decomposed to the stage of not being able to tell if it is a male or female even if she has been missing for two weeks?

It has been pretty hot and humid in this area for the time she's been missing. It was in the upper 80s the past couple days. I'd really love to get someone's opinion on this.

Would her body be that decomposed to the stage of not being able to tell if it is a male or female even if she has been missing for two weeks?

I don't think it's possible for it to be Katie. My guess,, based on not being able to tell gender, would be at least several months and most likely a year - probably longer. In a lot of cases where gender isn't obvious, it's is just skeletal remains. Not always, but in general

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read that last night and looked on google maps at the apartment complex address and couldn't find either one of these businesses within walking distance of "across the street". It was late & I was heading to bed, so will look again today

There is definately a gas station within walking distance. Actually, there's a couple.

How safe is the area/apartment complex she was in?

How safe is the area/apartment complex she was in?

Portsmouth isnt well known for being safe. I normally completely avoid it unless I need to go to the naval hospital or the commissary in the area.

For example these are the crimes showing up on my app for portsmouth.
Screenshot_2015-06-10-13-05-57.jpg

And these are the ones for the area Im in. Screenshot_2015-06-10-13-06-50.jpg

Not to say there aren't nice areas in portsmouth because there are, there is just a lot of crime.

I'm a long time Portsmouth resident (lived in VA Beach for a few years). There are areas in Portsmouth that I consider myself just as safe in as any other Hampton Roads city. The area that Katie went missing from isn't one that I would consider being safe. The area of Portsmouth called Churchland has some of the most wealthy residents along with sketchy areas with a lot of crime.

So it would have been very easy for someone to abduct her then?

I think two weeks is long enough, in hot weather...

some people on SM are saying that it is being reported on the news stations that it is her. , can anybody local say if that is true or not?

What are your local news stations saying?

some people on SM are saying that it is being reported on the news stations that it is her. , can anybody local say if that is true or not?

I personally haven't seen anything on local media that says it's her. I would be surprised if this isn't Katie though.

JMO

I just checked news sources and the FB page and there is no confirmation or indication that this is her.

One news source says they can't determine that the body is her. Another news source says "severely decomposed". I'm not finding any consistency in the news outlets covering this story. I wonder if the "severely decomposed" is a reporter's opinion and not fact. LE could have said "we can't determine" and a reporter assumed that's what was meant. In reality, "we can't determine" can simply mean "we aren't saying until we have covered all the bases"

This news source says "On Wednesday morning, Detective Misty Holley with Portsmouth police told 10 On Your Side officers were called out to Tejo Lane near Silver Maple Drive, around 11 p.m. Tuesday, after a report of a bad smell. When officers arrived, they discovered a body in a wooded area nearby." So if there was a bad smell, it is very possibly her.

http://wavy.com/2015/06/10/death-investigation-near-portsmouth-missing-womans-apartment/

So it would have been very easy for someone to abduct her then?

Maybe I'm just cynical but I feel like it's pretty easy to abduct anyone these days. People rarely pay attention to what is going on and surprisingly a lot of people don't stop to help when they hear or see something that could be a crime. I had an Aunt get attacked in a well lit parking lot of a grocery store. No one came over and tried to help her. She said several people looked and then continued to load their cars and leave. Didn't even call the cops. She was beaten pretty badly. She got away because she finally was able to reach a wrench under her seat and beat him with it. This was in the chesapeake area of hampton roads a couple years ago.

I hope someone seen something or got something on a security camera. I know it was 10:30 at night but I would think someone was around the apartment complex.

I really wished she would not have decided to do laundry at 10: 30 at night. It is just too dangerous for young women to be out alone.

A comment on a news post from a woman that lives in the same apartment complex said that their washers are outside each apartment. That if you open your door the washers are right there. If this is true then she may have been taken from right in front of her door. Very unsettling.

This definitely has a very unsettling feel to it. I have family in that area and, although not all areas around there are bad (some are very nice,) there are certainly areas I wouldn't walk at night in. Even with my husband. I hope this isn't her that they found, but what are the odds, ya know?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back