Found Safe VA - Monica, 29, Kai, 7, & Oria Lamping, 11 mos, Virginia Beach, 21 Jan 2017

I read that too not sure where possibly friends or family? I will see if I can find a link.

ETA Found the link from the first page and the comment below:
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/f...cle_b2d91b09-5198-5d65-8163-b76226502aa6.html
One of the occupants told the Fire Department that the house “had been without heat for some time.”

Aha. Thank you.

I wonder if she went without heat because she didn't pay the bill or because she was getting off the grid???

Would love to hear what her roommate says about that.

Thanks again.

idk if it is different elsewhere but here, if your heat wont go on, neither will a space heater. but maybe you mean gas heat and her gas tank was empty?

idk if it is different elsewhere but here, if your heat wont go on, neither will a space heater. but maybe you mean gas heat and her gas tank was empty?

Could be. I have gas heat and can certainly turn on the space heater, which uses electricity.

That totally slipped my mind. So...maybe, gas?

That totally slipped my mind. So...maybe, gas?

Or, maybe she had electric gas and the electricity was turned off, but the space heater ran on propane? That scenario makes more sense with the "off the grid" lifestyle, doesn't it?

I suppose it's useless to speculate, unless she is charged with arson. Otherwise, I think the case is over.

jmo

Many years ago following the Dead ( showing my age) I knew many that did some crazy *advertiser censored** things in the name of community and Mother Earth. It's a different mindset. She may have been involved with people that promoted this behavior. Who knows she could have been suffering from PPD... felt alone..found love in some group. No way saying this is right... taking a child from a parent is in my books one of the worst crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question without reading back. How was it found where she was? Did she come forward?

I have not read anything local about how she was found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt we will hear anymore. Thankfully, she may have a place to stay after the fire.

http://southsidedaily.com/2017/04/0...ed-with-january-arson-of-virginia-beach-home/

Monica Lamping Bogart, the woman who was declared missing with her children hours after her Virginia Beach home burned down in January, was charged with arson on Monday.

Smh. She knew those animals were in the house. :(

<Lamping-Bogart’s roommate, Courtney Bullock, lost two of her pets from smoke inhalation: a 9-month-old husky named Nevada and a 3-year-old cat named Boss.>

Her oldest son is now living with dad.

<Kai returned to Virginia and has been living with his father, Kevin Lamping.>

January 2019, Monica Lamping takes a plea deal - the arson charge (which carried a sentence of up to life in prison) was dropped and she entered and Alford plea for two counts of animal torture.

Monica Lamping was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of Felony Torture to Animal Causing Death, and she entered an Alford plea for both counts...

Investigators said Lamping knocked over an oil lamp to start the fire. They said she was in a custody battle with her ex-husband and ran away to North Carolina with her children after she started the fire.

The pets that died in the fire, a Husky puppy and a cat, belonged to Lamping’s former roommate, Courtney Bullock. Two other cats survived the fire.

The animals were in a room with the door blocked by a dog kennel and died of smoke inhalation, according to the prosecution's stipulation of facts...

Lamping faces a maximum of ten years in prison.

Virginia Beach woman takes plea deal for two counts of animal torture

May 2019:
... the judge only sentenced Lamping to six months. Her attorney was hoping she wouldn't serve any time because of her mental health issues.

Police originally charged her with arson and animal torture, but prosecutors were unable to prove that the fire was set intentionally.

"We asked the court to not impose any period of incarceration; we didn’t think that that would benefit her," explained her attorney James Broccoletti. "I think the judge recognized the mental illness aspect that she had. I think we made it more significant than he felt it to be, but at the end of the day, he is the judge and we accept the verdict that he rendered."

During her sentencing hearing, Lamping's mental health was discussed at length. Witnesses testified that she is bi-polar and suffers from PTSD from past sexual assaults. Witnesses say she was not being treated for these conditions when she ran away.

Lamping's ex-husband spoke with News 3 after the proceeding. He says he knew she had some mental health issues but believes the whole truth about the night she ran away didn't come out in court.

"I understand the mental health of Monica has been questionable in the past, but in my mind and everything that I know from this, it’s my understanding that this was premeditated and she knew what she was doing," said Kevin Lamping. "That’s not something that you can just cover up with mental health illness and hide behind as a way to justify what you did."

Virginia Beach mom accused of setting house fire, killing pets sentenced to six months behind bars

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back