Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #2

Yes, I've seen that in a case before. If I'm remembering correctly, this was part of a tip that led to finding Hannah Graham's body in Virginia. Someone will surely chime in if I am wrong. The media at the search time was asking people to check their properties and keep an eye out for crows gathering.

If her vehicle was being financed, many financing places are now equipping their vehicles with GPS tracking devices for ease with repossessions. Might be worth checking into for family or LE.

Usually when a missing person is reported, the police will ask if the individual deals with physical or mental disorders, right? She was close to her parents and they would have provided that information to police, who would have mentioned it in the report or to the public by now. They haven't, which makes it less likely (to me) that she wandered off to kill herself. I have no reason to believe that she is depressed or suicidal, until evidence suggests so.

Actually, they often don't mention those issues, at least going by what I see here. Suggesting self harm means people tend to turn away from the missing person, not to mention the families who seem to see it as a shameful stain on themselves.

It tends to be something that comes out further down the line, and before then it's more a feeling that you get from what they do/don't say/do. So in this case they've said they don't suspect foul play - which suggests accident or self-harm is their main thought. The terrain is challenging but if they thought Nicole was out there injured I think more help would have been mobilised initially, even to just walk the trails shouting her name. The statements given by her husband/LE appeal directly to Nicole and not to "whoever has her", which we sometimes see.

This is a very wearying public situation . For me-not enough information and much too much lack of details.
Good luck FF Community of hers and please know that it will take a Professional FF Company to defend her in the news. In the meantime-please contain the others.

HI All. I went out to the park yesterday and here's what I can tell you. Nicole's vehicle was found in the upper parking lot of the Cedar Run/Whiteoak Canyon. This parking lot is now closed with Park Police and other personnel to ensure you don't. Only the lower parking lot here and the Weakley Hollow parking lot a little further north are open for those wanting to hike Old Rag. Even though the park posted several trail closures in this immediate are were closed as the search expanded, I found there were others included yesterday. Old Rag Trail is still open as well as the Weakley Hollow Fire Rd, however, they've included Corbin Hollow, Robertson Mountain and the Old Rag Fire Road coming down from the Skyline Drive. Even though the park noted Hawksbill Peak would be closed for planned maintenance starting on 4/20, they have also closed Hawksbill Peak and all parking areas in this are for the search. Skyland Resort is the only thing still open in this area and suspect it's only open for those who have reservations or wanting to eat at the restaurant. The Rose River Trail and Dark Hollow Falls Trail (further south) are still open, but the only parking in the immediate area is the Dark Hollow Falls parking lot. Furthermore, the Big Meadows Field across from the Big Meadows Wayside appears to be closed as they are using it as a staging area for the helicopters being used in the search. I also found a State Police staging area at the lower Hawksbill Peak lower parking lot.

Now what's interesting, is the wildfire raging in the Southern District on the western side of Skyline Drive @ Rte. 33 (Spotswood Trail). In that, it's almost to the day that another wildfire happened in this same area a year ago. It's about 15 miles south of the search area and in speaking to park personnel, they feel the fire was set deliberately. Which this area is cordoned off with no vehicle and/or foot access is allowed from MM 65 up to MM 79 and the Appalachian Trail @ Simmons Gap (MM 73) up to Ivy Creak (MM 77) is closed to foot traffic. As I came down Skyline Drive to exit @ Rte. 33 (Swift Run Gap Entrance Station), I could see that the fire was getting very close to Rte. 33 and was told by park personnel that the fire had expanded since Wednesday. If they can't contain it, it's possible they may close the Entrance into the park here as well as possibly closing Rte. 33 heading towards the cities of Elkton and Harrisonburg.

Another interesting thing is that the State Police have said they are not asking for volunteers. However, I found out yesterday that they have. In that, some members of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club have been recruited in the search.

What's tugging at me the most in all of this, is that it's known that Nicole stopped in Warrenton to do a workout before continuing on to the park. My understanding is her workout club is a specialized club for those that cross-fit train. Which brings up why would she do a workout and then head to the park to do a second one back to back. It also brings up what has or hasn't been found with the State Police reviewing road cams. With her car being somewhat unusual, it's not like they couldn't find her easily in the review and who might either be in the vehicle and/or if there was another vehicle following her.

For those that do not know Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive, there is limited at best cellular service within the park boundaries and especially so at the upper parking lot where her car was found; it's down in a valley in a very sparse area at the edge of the park boundary with tall mountain tops blocking signals. Matter of fact, I verified that this was the case when I stopped here. Having hiked many sections of Shenandoah, the only places I'm aware where one can get a signal are on top of mountain peaks and they are usually on the western side of the park that have large barren areas at the top; such as Hawksbill Peak. Not to mention it is only cellular, no data service. However, it doesn't mean a smart phone won't continue to ping and catch an occasional signal. I still carry my phone on hikes and use an App to track my progress and the GPS can capture a signal every so often; enough to show most times where I am along a trail. I noticed many commenting about Nicole having a Fitbit or the like, which basically only keeps track of minimal data until it's connected to a smart phone and/or other liked device that has Internet access. It then updates the data the Fitbit stored.

HI All. I went out to the park yesterday and here's what I can tell you. Nicole's vehicle was found in the upper parking lot of the Cedar Run/Whiteoak Canyon. This parking lot is now closed with Park Police and other personnel to ensure you don't. Only the lower parking lot here and the Weakley Hollow parking lot a little further north are open for those wanting to hike Old Rag. Even though the park posted several trail closures in this immediate are were closed as the search expanded, I found there were others included yesterday. Old Rag Trail is still open as well as the Weakley Hollow Fire Rd, however, they've included Corbin Hollow, Robertson Mountain and the Old Rag Fire Road coming down from the Skyline Drive. Even though the park noted Hawksbill Peak would be closed for planned maintenance starting on 4/20, they have also closed Hawksbill Peak and all parking areas in this are for the search. Skyland Resort is the only thing still open in this area and suspect it's only open for those who have reservations or wanting to eat at the restaurant. The Rose River Trail and Dark Hollow Falls Trail (further south) are still open, but the only parking in the immediate area is the Dark Hollow Falls parking lot. Furthermore, the Big Meadows Field across from the Big Meadows Wayside appears to be closed as they are using it as a staging area for the helicopters being used in the search. I also found a State Police staging area at the lower Hawksbill Peak lower parking lot.

Now what's interesting, is the wildfire raging in the Southern District on the western side of Skyline Drive @ Rte. 33 (Spotswood Trail). In that, it's almost to the day that another wildfire happened in this same area a year ago. It's about 15 miles south of the search area and in speaking to park personnel, they feel the fire was set deliberately. Which this area is cordoned off with no vehicle and/or foot access is allowed from MM 65 up to MM 79 and the Appalachian Trail @ Simmons Gap (MM 73) up to Ivy Creak (MM 77) is closed to foot traffic. As I came down Skyline Drive to exit @ Rte. 33 (Swift Run Gap Entrance Station), I could see that the fire was getting very close to Rte. 33 and was told by park personnel that the fire had expanded since Wednesday. If they can't contain it, it's possible they may close the Entrance into the park here as well as possibly closing Rte. 33 heading towards the cities of Elkton and Harrisonburg.

Another interesting thing is that the State Police have said they are not asking for volunteers. However, I found out yesterday that they have. In that, some members of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club have been recruited in the search.

What's tugging at me the most in all of this, is that it's known that Nicole stopped in Warrenton to do a workout before continuing on to the park. My understanding is her workout club is a specialized club for those that cross-fit train. Which brings up why would she do a workout and then head to the park to do a second one back to back. It also brings up what has or hasn't been found with the State Police reviewing road cams. With her car being somewhat unusual, it's not like they couldn't find her easily in the review and who might either be in the vehicle and/or if there was another vehicle following her.

For those that do not know Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive, there is limited at best cellular service within the park boundaries and especially so at the upper parking lot where her car was found; it's down in a valley in a very sparse area at the edge of the park boundary with tall mountain tops blocking signals. Matter of fact, I verified that this was the case when I stopped here. Having hiked many sections of Shenandoah, the only places I'm aware where one can get a signal are on top of mountain peaks and they are usually on the western side of the park that have large barren areas at the top; such as Hawksbill Peak. Not to mention it is only cellular, no data service. However, it doesn't mean a smart phone won't continue to ping and catch an occasional signal. I still carry my phone on hikes and use an App to track my progress and the GPS can capture a signal every so often; enough to show most times where I am along a trail. I noticed many commenting about Nicole having a Fitbit or the like, which basically only keeps track of minimal data until it's connected to a smart phone and/or other liked device that has Internet access. It then updates the data the Fitbit stored.

Thank you for this information. It's very helpful. I will make the assertion that she did not intentionally go to SNP. I believe she was abducted and her car was brought there after the fact to make it appear she went there to throw off the investigation. This is typical of many cases I've seen.

Actually, they often don't mention those issues, at least going by what I see here. Suggesting self harm means people tend to turn away from the missing person, not to mention the families who seem to see it as a shameful stain on themselves.

It tends to be something that comes out further down the line, and before then it's more a feeling that you get from what they do/don't say/do. So in this case they've said they don't suspect foul play - which suggests accident or self-harm is their main thought. The terrain is challenging but if they thought Nicole was out there injured I think more help would have been mobilised initially, even to just walk the trails shouting her name. The statements given by her husband/LE appeal directly to Nicole and not to "whoever has her", which we sometimes see.

The Virginia State Police missing persons site lists psychological issues as details in their profiles:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/MissingPersons.shtm

IMO, if they are sharing such details about other missing persons, then shouldn't they be forthcoming about Nicole's?

This is assuming Nicole has mental issues, and that's not something I'm comfortable doing. I've seen so many comments dismissing this case as depression/runaway/suicide which seems to assume the worst about her with no proof as of yet.

It's like you said - if she was going to commit suicide, why did she call into work? That makes no sense.

State police aren't asking for random people to help. They have asked certain groups with the necessary skills who won't be a liability.

State police aren't asking for random people to help. They have asked certain groups with the necessary skills who won't be a liability.
What does random people' mean lol? And what are 'necessary skills? And what do you mean by liability'?

What skills would those be?

What was the point in putting out a press release if they didn't think the public would be helpful in locating Nicole?

This gets more and more bizarre by the minute.

God Bless this missing woman. This case is going to break wide open,and we need to pray she is found alive.

What skills would those be?

What was the point in putting out a press release if they didn't think the public would be helpful in locating Nicole?

This gets more and more bizarre by the minute.
It's really quite simple. The civilian groups there do this sort of thing often. They know the terrain and how to navigate it. The same can't be said for the average Joe who would show up if they said "sure come on out."

It's really quite simple. The civilian groups there do this sort of thing often. They know the terrain and how to navigate it. The same can't be said for the average Joe who would show up if they said "sure come on out."
<modsnip>

My original point had nothing to do with search parties but whether or not there's evidence to assume Nicole is mentally ill. Since the state police and immediately family haven't come forward with information regarding her mental health, I see no reason to assume she is depressed or suicidal. This information would be relevant if she is in immediate need of medical help.

<modsnip>
My original point had nothing to do with search parties but whether or not there's evidence to assume Nicole is mentally ill. Since the state police and immediately family haven't come forward with information regarding her mental health, I see no reason to assume she is depressed or suicidal. This information would be relevant if she is in immediate need of medical help.
<modsnip> And I think people subtly have implied mental issues - "this is still your home" things like that. And if she's in need of medical help, there's nothing John Public can do about it if they have reason to believe she has already harmed herself.
They are searching a semi-contained area, which is different from many mental health cases where the person left but they don't know where.

Thank you for this information. It's very helpful. I will make the assertion that she did not intentionally go to SNP. I believe she was abducted and her car was brought there after the fact to make it appear she went there to throw off the investigation. This is typical of many cases I've seen.

Can you recall and share some of those cases? I am interested in reading about them. Thank you

Usually when a missing person is reported, the police will ask if the individual deals with physical or mental disorders, right? She was close to her parents and they would have provided that information to police, who would have mentioned it in the report or to the public by now. They haven't, which makes it less likely (to me) that she wandered off to kill herself. I have no reason to believe that she is depressed or suicidal, until evidence suggests so.
We don't know what her parents or husband have disclosed, VSP is keeping just about everything in this case very close to the vest, as they do with most cases I think, but this one seems even moreso. The only thing that continues to be stressed (and I don't know if they keep hammering it or media keeps recycling that line) is that at this point, they have no reason to suspect foul play.

Usually when LE plays things this close to the vest, I think they have an idea of where or how. I have been sitting back reading, I don't think this is the case here.
Praying she is found today or at least something breaks , more info is released .... Anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some have mentioned that Nicole moved from FS30, in Merrifield to FS32 (Burke, VA)
With the horrendous traffic throughout the I95/495 corridor, the commute from Woodbridge to Burke would be much shorter than continuing on to the Merrifield/Fairfax area. Nicole's commute time could literally be cut in half by moving to the Burke fire station.

Her move there could have been simply due to convenience.

From Woodbridge to Burke, she could have avoided both I-95 and 495 and used only back roads. Not so much, if she had to travel to the West end of Merrifield.

Some have mentioned that Nicole moved from FS30, in Merrifield to FS32 (Burke, VA)
With the horrendous traffic throughout the I95/495 corridor, the commute from Woodbridge to Burke would be much shorter than continuing on to the Merrifield/Fairfax area. Nicole's commute time could literally be cut in half by moving to the Burke fire station.

Her move there could have been simply due to convenience.

From Woodbridge to Burke, she could have avoided I-95 and used only back roads. Not so much, if she had to travel to the West end of Merrifield.

Great observation! Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best. Occam's razor principal!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back