Found Deceased VA - Sarabeth Hammond, 17, Roanoke, 28 Dec 2016

I know that Sarabeth's privacy is being considered here, but IMO when a person goes missing that is secondary to releasing any and all info that could help bring her back safely. There is a frustrating lack of detail here. For example, as someone upthread mentioned, was she dating anyone? Had she had mentioned any problems going on? Did she have plans to head back out that day? Was it customary for her to leave the door unlocked? etc. Yes, I'm sure most of the details won't turn out to mean anything, but you never know...one little thing could turn out to be the biggest.

Update (from original source, but as a comment) :
" update from Sarabeth's mom

It's day 3 and this is becoming more surreal and more chilling than I ever imagined but I'm staying strong with the best support system and team of investigators. As of last night there is some hard evidence that I'd like to report and that could help locate Sarabeth. On Wednesday December 28, starting at 5pm, Sarabeth drove from Blue 5 in downtown Roanoke to Brambleton Avenue to drop her friend home, straight up to Bent Mountain. She was located on Bent Mountain specifically in the area of the fire station and the Bent Mountain Bistro for 18 minutes around 6:30 pm. If ANYONE has seen her or any activity related to her during these times in these locations, please call 540-562-3265 and refer to case 16-076649. We will be searching diligently in these areas today until Sarabeth is found. Thank you for helping bring her home. PLEASE SHARE"
Link : https://www.facebook.com/JFCWOV/posts/1825185797724655
3a086c4e0ff75a2ef4af8c523edb2a00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought she went home to get clothes before going to Blue5? The front door at the house was unlocked so it was thought that she made it there. But now we hear that she was at Blue5, took a friend home, and then went straight to Bent Mountain Bistro for 18 minutes. That's quite a diversion. So who or what was at BMB?

And if it was an accident, OnStar should work. Her car and her phone both going off the grid at the same time ... the 6:30 mark ... is disconcerting, to say the least.

Unfortunately she didn't write all that often in the blog, and the last entry is Nov. 3, so I don't know how much it would help...

However, despite all the serious medical issues Sarabeth experienced, it does sound like she was fighting with everything she had, and determined to have a great life despite it all. She mentions running a business of some sort, and being a spokesperson for Children's Miracle Network, among other things. Unless something radically changed, this definitely doesn't sound like the kind of person who would willingly run off.

There are videos on YouTube of people driving the mountain if anyone is wondering about the terrain. Just search Bent Mountain.

Omg. Notice how it's almost impossible to stay in lane during turns cars seemed to veer over white broken lines as well as into the shoulder. Ugh.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is the latest posted on local news WDBJ7's site:

"Police and rescue teams are conducting a search for a missing 16-year-old girl Friday afternoon in the Bent Mountain area in Roanoke County.

Roanoke County Police, Virginia State Police and Roanoke County Fire & Rescue are looking for missing 16-year-old Sarabeth Hammond.Using cellphone analysis, officials will search a 2-mile area across Bent Mountain. Virginia State Police will conduct an aerial search."

Her mom mentioned in the missing info. that she last received a text from her at 6:30 the same time she was on bent mountain wonder if she was trying to text and drive while driving up there :(

I thought she went home to get clothes before going to Blue5? The front door at the house was unlocked so it was thought that she made it there. But now we hear that she was at Blue5, took a friend home, and then went straight to Bent Mountain Bistro for 18 minutes. That's quite a diversion. So who or what was at BMB?

And if it was an accident, OnStar should work. Her car and her phone both going off the grid at the same time ... the 6:30 mark ... is disconcerting, to say the least.

I'm not sure how OnStar works, but maybe it locates your car by last known location? Her mom was trying to get the VIN number to activate location services for the car after Sarabeth disappeared, so if the car has to be in use to provide a location, it wouldn't work if it was activated after the car is disabled.

I'm guessing they got the information that she was at Bent Mountain from cell phone pings. I wonder why she would be there if she was supposed to be going home to change clothes before meeting her family. Does she live on Bent Mountain? I just googled her mom's event design business, I don't know if she runs it from their home, but the address is off of Bent Mountain Rd. Bent Mountain Bistro is quite a way further down the road though, about 9 miles past the business address. Wonder if the location she was supposed to be meeting with family is in that direction.

Could the OnStar device inside the car have been damaged during an accident, and hence doesn't work now?

(ETA: I'm assuming there is some sort of device in the car, I have no clue how these things are set up.)

From her mom's FB and here: http://www.nbc12.com/story/34154403/share-roanoke-teen-missing-since-wednesday

"On Wednesday December 28, starting at 5pm, Sarabeth drove from Blue 5 in downtown Roanoke to Brambleton Avenue to drop her friend home, straight up to Bent Mountain. She was located on Bent Mountain specifically in the area of the fire station and the Bent Mountain Bistro for 18 minutes around 6:30 pm."

This sounds like she was already at Bent Mountain Bistro at 6:30 pm when she texted her mom that she was going home to change. Possibly left there and crashed on the way home...

From a local radio news update, I think the station is WSET, they found no trace of her or her car during today's search[emoji20]

From her mom's FB and here: http://www.nbc12.com/story/34154403/share-roanoke-teen-missing-since-wednesday

"On Wednesday December 28, starting at 5pm, Sarabeth drove from Blue 5 in downtown Roanoke to Brambleton Avenue to drop her friend home, straight up to Bent Mountain. She was located on Bent Mountain specifically in the area of the fire station and the Bent Mountain Bistro for 18 minutes around 6:30 pm."

This sounds like she was already at Bent Mountain Bistro at 6:30 pm when she texted her mom that she was going home to change. Possibly left there and crashed on the way home...

"She's not believed to be in any danger"

I wonder of they are leaning towards her running away? The radio stations here in roanoke
emphasized that she liked to take back roads.

"She's not believed to be in any danger"

I wonder of they are leaning towards her running away? The radio stations here in roanoke
emphasized that she liked to take back roads.

Ridiculous. She doesn't have her medication. Her phone is off and her car is untraceable. A phone is a girls whole life, followed by her car.

Something is wrong! (In my crazy Cindy Anthony voice)

I really hope she's found safe. I find it ludicrous that anyone would suggest that she is not in danger. She's a child who is missing under suspicious circumstances and has a disease that requires medication.

I've been reading her mother's FB all afternoon and it's heartbreaking. My daughter is this age. It's all very sobering.

http://wset.com/news/local/roanoke-county-police-looking-for-missing-teenager

"Sarabeth Rose Hammond, 17, was last seen Wednesday around 6:30 p.m. near the Brambleton Avenue area in Roanoke after dropping her friend off at home, according to a family friend.
That friend said that Hammond then texted her mom and told her that she was on the way home to change clothes.
Hammond's family believes she made it home because the front door was unlocked."

Was she planning to go back out after changing clothes? Was she in the habit of leaving the door unlocked?

If she made it home to change clothes - has it been confirmed her earlier clothes were located at the house?

I wonder if she's trying to go back to NY or if an accident on Bent Mtn? Any of the roads on Bent Mtn are nuts. You need to go the speed limit, and be prepared for sharp turns. I noticed on her FB she just got her license this summer, so she's been driving less than 6 months. And since she's been living in NY, she hasn't been driving Bent Mtn!!!

While abduction, murder, etc CAN happen here, typical murders have involved drug or gang related, or domestic violence. Stranger murders....I can't remember a recent case in Roanoke or Roanoke County, Bent Mtn, Franklin County, etc. Not saying something like that couldn't or wouldn't happen here, but it would be extremely rare!!

As for her medication, gapapentin was mentioned in her blog, and IV med...but I don't think that IV med was in Roanoke to be honest. It's just that Lyme's disease is not treated the same here as it is in the upper states. Here you get doxycycline and good luck. Seriously. Much more aggressive and knowledgeable about Lyme's in NY, from my experience as a Lyme patient!

There's no life threatening med she's missing if she's being treated for Lyme's. She can survive without, though I would imagine she has her pain meds with her as most chronic pain patients keep them close by.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back