VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

What are your thoughts on Scott's case these days? Your post makes me think Scott may not have planned this visit; that it was a ruse.

If Scott was tricked into opening the door, even though the crime seems personal, maybe it's something else instead. Nothing was taken so it wasn't a burglary gone wrong. Well, we don't know if anything was taken because the Police won't tell us anything.

FEB 20, 2024
A grim anniversary quietly passed last month: four years since the still-unsolved murder of Scott Ratigan. < >

A year later, police released video and images of a “person of interest” in the case. The person had their face covered as they walked down Ballston sidewalks

Four years after unsolved Ballston murder, no new details from police | ARLnow.com
I guess I'm wondering why this person is a POI when we, the public have only been shown video of the person on the street entering and/or leaving the building. Is there footage of him in the building? Does his timing of this coincide with the time of death? That really isn't enough if LE can't place at the crime scene, only in the building. If he was there for a reason completely unrelated to Scott and the killer was someone already in the building he is a dead end. Like you, I'm wondering if LE doesn't have something else that makes them suspicious of this guy. Video inside the building? And, yes, I definitely believe it was personal.

I guess I'm wondering why this person is a POI when we, the public have only been shown video of the person on the street entering and/or leaving the building. Is there footage of him in the building? Does his timing of this coincide with the time of death? That really isn't enough if LE can't place at the crime scene, only in the building. If he was there for a reason completely unrelated to Scott and the killer was someone already in the building he is a dead end. Like you, I'm wondering if LE doesn't have something else that makes them suspicious of this guy. Video inside the building? And, yes, I definitely believe it was personal.
Thank you for the swift reply. At this point in time > looks at calendar to see it's been 4 years < I cannot consider the possible suspect to be a dead end. Perhaps Scott's watch, if he wore one, tracked his heartbeats and steps so police know TOD. Maybe it coincides with the person on CCTV arriving and leaving. Perhaps a neighbor reported hearing noises during the timeframe when the attack occurred.

So unfair that Scott's life at 24yo was only just beginning. Could it be the police didn't release the video sooner because they had a few leads? Leads that maybe didn't pan out well? Were those interviewed truthful and honest? The killer was inside the building almost 2 hours, right? So, police wait a year on the video but we know little about Scott Ratigan's fatal wounds.

Allow me to throw a curveball. The Friday when Scott did not go to work, he and his roommate expected visitors for the long weekend. The three of them found Scott around 5ish that early evening. Shock and awe! Which forces the next question. Did the killer know this successful gentleman was due to have companions for the weekend?

Bleeding from the mouth, nose and ears with chest trauma indicate a lung injury from a traumatic puncture, perhaps?

Now for something a detective (Detective Perspective) recently brought up on their podcast:

-- Killer’s “pigeon toe" gait: Specifically there is something going on with his right leg - could be as police described pigeon toe but it’s more with the right leg which appears that yes, maybe a medical condition — an injury that occurred during the assault …. But what if he was killed (how SR was killed remains unknown) with a blunt force object like a bat. Could this individual slid that bat down in his pants as he was fleeing the scene ?

-- White sneakers bottoms: Nike freeze (hope I understood that correctly) - Det. recognized the shoes as Nike because of owning a pair.

-- Backpack: possibly a Molly backpack - and the backpack has a big white patch on the back of the backpack which could be North Face or Colombia

moo

I just heard of this case from a podcast I follow.
My son went to Marymount University in Arlington for a year (2021-2022, he transferred because he changed his major) When we went to visit him we would stay in Ballston and go to dinner there.
He will graduate from college in December and is hoping to get a job in the DC Area with hopes to live in the Ballston area. This kind of scares me. (I know this can happen anywhere but will still be in the back of my mind.)

I hope the family get answers. This is so sad to me.

My son went to Marymount University in Arlington for a year (2021-2022, he transferred because he changed his major) When we went to visit him we would stay in Ballston and go to dinner there.
He will graduate from college in December and is hoping to get a job in the DC Area with hopes to live in the Ballston area. This kind of scares me. (I know this can happen anywhere but will still be in the back of my mind.)

I don't think you should worry. It seems like this wasn't a random murder, but someone who knew him. MOO.

Quick look reveals it may have been a Keys to the Case podcast.

Regarding the gait of the killer, I'm reminded of the movie The Usual Suspects with KevinSpacey. At the end,
the cop realized Keyser Söze's crippled walk was faked all along
. People will go to great lengths to get away with murder.

LE knows whether or not the bleach came from inside the apartment or if the killer brought it with him to the CS.

May your son realize his dream job and soon begin a successful career while residing in Ballston.

Quick look reveals it may have been a Keys to the Case podcast.

Regarding the gait of the killer, I'm reminded of the movie The Usual Suspects with KevinSpacey. At the end,
the cop realized Keyser Söze's crippled walk was faked all along
. People will go to great lengths to get away with murder.

LE knows whether or not the bleach came from inside the apartment or if the killer brought it with him to the CS.

May your son realize his dream job and soon begin a successful career while residing in Ballston.

The Podcast I listened to this morning was called Unresolved. The episode was just released yesterday.

I agree with you about the bleach. I just think they aren't saying too much about the case and are keeping it under wraps.

I sent him the podcast and told him to listen to it. Surprisingly he never heard of the case. He spent a lot of time in Ballston and would take the Metro from there a lot to go into DC or to catch the train home. (poor kid couldn't have a car at Marymount as a Freshman)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevi4200
Back