VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

Giving a bump to these cases that appear to still have not been solved after another year. The poster ralphman has some good theories about the case on the EAR/ONS board so hopefully the cases will be solved soon.

Did anyone else here didn’t care for the dark minds episode about this episode?[/QUOT

We all have our opinions but although there was the odd bit of the program I was not keen on I thought the Dark Minds program on the Colonial Parkway Murders was good. In the other episodes they also covered so interesting cases. Cheers

We all have our opinions but although there was the odd bit of the program I was not keen on I thought the Dark Minds program on the Colonial Parkway Murders was good. In the other episodes they also covered so interesting cases. Cheers

As I you can see on these boards people have difference opinions and they have the right to these of course if they are in good faith. For instance I am sure I know who the Colonial Parkway Killer was. I also thought the Dark Minds program about these cases had a great deal of good information and of course the victims relatives had a big part in the program. It was also good to see Steven Spingola and John Kelly giving their theories. Here is a link to the program:

I have been silently following this case as well as a number of other cold cases. I thought jaejae’s earlier comments were interesting, and they compelled me to start following up on Ralph Leon Jackson. I am putting together his complete address history and family tree through public record searches, though I have much more to learn before I know a fraction of what I suspect jaejae has learned. From what I have uncovered so far, I think Jaejae is absolutely correct in that this person needs to be immediately investigated for a number of reasons until or unless he an be ruled out.

First and foremost, Ralph Jackson is in prison for a crime that shares strong similarities to this series - an up close, personal, savage, and unprovoked nighttime attack using a variety of weapons on a young couple in a secluded area of a National Park in the same geographical area. I think the similarities between the crimes extend to the murders in the Shenandoah’s.

I am still reviewing information on psychological traits that has been provided by someone my gut tells me is a certified, practicing profiler. I am also researching this information so that I develop a true understanding of what motivates this monster. Unless I’m missing something, which frankly would be per usual (Please see my user ID), the attacks appear consistent with a very specific type of serial killer not often seen. The different methods of killing would be consistent with this type of killer. Despite the lack of an obvious sexual component to the attacks,it is my understanding that all serial attacks involving multiple victims is motivated by at least two factors, one of which is always sexual even if through only asserting power and control.

I am also still verifying the address history and will need to update my research into whether the addresses and dates of the crimes provide the opportunity for this person’s involvement. However, my initial investigation puts Jackson living in close proximity to Rt 29 and in very close proximity to I-64 at the time of that crime. I am still looking at the earlier dates of where he lived and familial relations, but it looks that at the very least Jackson would have had multiple family members in the area to include an elderly relative in Williamsburg.

I don’t want to lose anyone and am probably reaching. However, Jackson has relatives in the area of theConnecticut River Valley killings appearing to predate those crimes. There is also an address that coincides geographically and temporally with the kidnapping of Maura Murray. Eerily, it seems that Mr. Jackson has close relatives in Springfield, MO going back to the 1992 kidnapping of The Springfield Three. I could keep going on about how Jackson has ties to areas along the rout of the I-70 killer and family near Myrtle Beach but those probably are reaches. All credit to Jae Jae for putting us on this path though I think the EAR/ONS theory lost a lot of people.

If anyone has an ancestry database subscription and has time to help out, a report on Jackson would be helpful in identifying addresses.

If Jaejae wants to share, I am on board but have the scent of a trail and will keep going either way.

I don’t want to speak for JaeJae, but if I’m reading between the lines correctly, Jaejae could be suggesting using Jackson’s DNA to do a search of his family tree.

Was Jackson ever looked at by authorities? Was he ruled out forensically or has he not been ruled out?

Thank you Jaejae

I have been silently following this case as well as a number of other cold cases. I thought jaejae’s earlier comments were interesting, and they compelled me to start following up on Ralph Leon Jackson. I am putting together his complete address history and family tree through public record searches, though I have much more to learn before I know a fraction of what I suspect jaejae has learned. From what I have uncovered so far, I think Jaejae is absolutely correct in that this person needs to be immediately investigated for a number of reasons until or unless he an be ruled out.

First and foremost, Ralph Jackson is in prison for a crime that shares strong similarities to this series - an up close, personal, savage, and unprovoked nighttime attack using a variety of weapons on a young couple in a secluded area of a National Park in the same geographical area. I think the similarities between the crimes extend to the murders in the Shenandoah’s.

I am still reviewing information on psychological traits that has been provided by someone my gut tells me is a certified, practicing profiler. I am also researching this information so that I develop a true understanding of what motivates this monster. Unless I’m missing something, which frankly would be per usual (Please see my user ID), the attacks appear consistent with a very specific type of serial killer not often seen. The different methods of killing would be consistent with this type of killer. Despite the lack of an obvious sexual component to the attacks,it is my understanding that all serial attacks involving multiple victims is motivated by at least two factors, one of which is always sexual even if through only asserting power and control.

I am also still verifying the address history and will need to update my research into whether the addresses and dates of the crimes provide the opportunity for this person’s involvement. However, my initial investigation puts Jackson living in close proximity to Rt 29 and in very close proximity to I-64 at the time of that crime. I am still looking at the earlier dates of where he lived and familial relations, but it looks that at the very least Jackson would have had multiple family members in the area to include an elderly relative in Williamsburg.

I don’t want to lose anyone and am probably reaching. However, Jackson has relatives in the area of theConnecticut River Valley killings appearing to predate those crimes. There is also an address that coincides geographically and temporally with the kidnapping of Maura Murray. Eerily, it seems that Mr. Jackson has close relatives in Springfield, MO going back to the 1992 kidnapping of The Springfield Three. I could keep going on about how Jackson has ties to areas along the rout of the I-70 killer and family near Myrtle Beach but those probably are reaches. All credit to Jae Jae for putting us on this path though I think the EAR/ONS theory lost a lot of people.

If anyone has an ancestry database subscription and has time to help out, a report on Jackson would be helpful in identifying addresses.

If Jaejae wants to share, I am on board but have the scent of a trail and will keep going either way.

I don’t want to speak for JaeJae, but if I’m reading between the lines correctly, Jaejae could be suggesting using Jackson’s DNA to do a search of his family tree.

Was Jackson ever looked at by authorities? Was he ruled out forensically or has he not been ruled out?

Thank you Jaejae

Thanks for your post and interest. Very interesting. As I say I am convinced he is a Serial Killer.

Thank you Jaejae

Just want to make one point on what you say above before I hopefully leave it for a bit as I do not want to totally dominate this thread with my theories although I believe he actually is the correct offender. With LE in this case I would say he was that bad and prolific only few people know about him and for what of a better way of putting it 'normal' rules do not apply. Thanks.

I am slow but now believe I understand the need for familial DNA. Jackson had cancer at the time of the crime and very well may have died without DNA being collected since conviction may have predated any legislation allowing / requiring DNA collection for violent crime with no conviction of sex offense. It would be hard if not impossible to exhume person for DNA by court order to investigate possible connections to cold cases where the age of crime may prevent any connection other than DNA match. With no other connection and without DNA, these cases will remain unsolved unless suspect identified through familial DNA. Given this person’s history and connections to numerous areas with unsolved disappearances and murders, appearance resembling composites, occupation providing access to different vehicles , and possibly fitting psychological profile, it is imperative this DNA be collected because without it many families may never have the answers that they deserve and have been patiently waiting for while having their faith in everything tested for decades. These victims have passed every test to their faith thrown at them. It’s time to put this person’s DNA to the test since we know he was weak with no faith in anything, not even himself, and failed every test he ever took in life. If his family will not consent, it will show where there faith, or rather lack thereof, lies.

My thought is that a tight timeline and detailed history of this perosn’s residences, travels, family and associate addresses, and occupatiom / employers and residences needs to be compiled after which possible connections to unsolved crimes in the areas where this person could have been are investigated until / unless person can be ruled out.

I agree with a tow truck driver theory and previously had this thought as I believe one person involved despite early profile indicating two suspects. A tow truck may have lights and appearance that made victims assume National Park Ranger or Wildlife Officer came upon them, particularly if they had a spotlight on them. I believe a blue light bandit with a day job and not an officer involved. This is consistent with a suspect who may have had access to tow truck through occupation as mechanic.

I am slow but now believe I understand the need for familial DNA. Jackson had cancer at the time of the crime and very well may have died without DNA being collected since conviction may have predated any legislation allowing / requiring DNA collection for violent crime with no conviction of sex offense. It would be hard if not impossible to exhume person for DNA by court order to investigate possible connections to cold cases where the age of crime may prevent any connection other than DNA match. With no other connection and without DNA, these cases will remain unsolved unless suspect identified through familial DNA. Given this person’s history and connections to numerous areas with unsolved disappearances and murders, appearance resembling composites, occupation providing access to different vehicles , and possibly fitting psychological profile, it is imperative this DNA be collected because without it many families may never have the answers that they deserve and have been patiently waiting for while having their faith in everything tested for decades. These victims have passed every test to their faith thrown at them. It’s time to put this person’s DNA to the test since we know he was weak with no faith in anything, not even himself, and failed every test he ever took in life. If his family will not consent, it will show where there faith, or rather lack thereof, lies.

My thought is that a tight timeline and detailed history of this perosn’s residences, travels, family and associate addresses, and occupatiom / employers and residences needs to be compiled after which possible connections to unsolved crimes in the areas where this person could have been are investigated until / unless person can be ruled out.

I agree with a tow truck driver theory and previously had this thought as I believe one person involved despite early profile indicating two suspects. A tow truck may have lights and appearance that made victims assume National Park Ranger or Wildlife Officer came upon them, particularly if they had a spotlight on them. I believe a blue light bandit with a day job and not an officer involved. This is consistent with a suspect who may have had access to tow truck through occupation as mechanic.

Thanks for your thoughts very interesting. I had not thought about him using a tow truck but he may have done as a part time mechanic and in my opinion full time Michael Myers. Just to finish off as you can tell despite his evil I like to think and talk about him to put it mildly (or more apt struggle to stop doing so) I think his DNA must be in the system somewhere and I am sure I read in one article about a DNA test after his arrest in 2010. Thanks

Though still reviewing records, currently appears family of Jackson’s wife from MA. Appears Jackson could have been visiting in-laws at time of CRV crimes, mother/father in law or sister in law. Sister in law address near Maura Murray begins days before disappearance though resided in area prior to then. Following up on dayes of occasions such as death, birth and marriage that would have brought Jackson for visit to area and compare to dates of crimes.

Jackson’s wife had brother who appears to have in-laws in Williamsburg, Va. Parkway killings on weekends when Jackson could have been with wife in Williamsburg visiting wife’s brother at the brother’s in-laws.

Longer term visits such as those to care for sick family are also possible. Also other family or ties to these area expected.

Still determining relation and whether any possiible connection but currently appears father in law of Jackson’s daughter registered sex offender from NC for sexual assault and forcible sodomy.

Jackson has earlier conviction involving DUI and other charges. Records appear incomplete as there is habitual offender charge in history but no records of the prior charges in records secured to date. Appears this could be to Jackson using a different DOB - year reflected as 1950 in NC arrest records but 1953 on all others. Need to review court and arrest records for other address

Here are details of a rape case along the Blue Parkway Virginia in 1984 and I feel this case may be committed by an offender who committed other crimes in Virginia. Here is an article about it which is about the fact an innocent man was accused of the crime and this is why it is quite an important case in Virginian criminal history:

Edward Honaker, freed from prison in groundbreaking DNA case, dies at 65

I don't see mention of RLJ DNA being part of evidence. There is mention of test for victim DNA on one of RLJ items and it was negative. Police identified RLJ the day after crime by call from confidential informant reported to be family member. RLJ subsequently confessed. VA would have collected pre-conviction DNA at time of arrest but that would have been discarded when state charges dismissed. VA sample would be compared to VA database and not the NDIS database where FBI keeps CPK profile. So, if/when VA ran RLJ DNA through the VA database, it would not have been linked to CPK because profiles would have not been compared.

State charges dismissed before federal charges. This would appear to prevent VA from sharing DNA with FBI.

NDIS sample would have to be taken by FBI from RLJ or from evidence. It appears very unlikely collected from evidence. With only weeks between federal charges and conviction, would appear plea in place when removed state court and federal charges filed. If that is correct, then unlikely FBI tested evidence. As to testing the evidence now for DNA, Federal law looks very strict on when existing evidence can be tested after conviction. Appears federal law may prevent FBI from getting DNA off of evidence unless new trial. Possibly interestingly, RLJ filed appeal with argument of inadequate counsel that appears would be one of the few exceptions under which existing evidence can be tested. RLJ motion contested by federal prosecutor and denied by judge. I could be wrong but if RLJ claimed innocent and granted a new trial, don't believe he could have existing evidence tested. Was the gun ever tested for DNA? If DNA profile not developed or collected before conviction, does federal law allow FBI to secure post conviction sample solely for NDIS or would the sample have to be part of new testing of evidence for re-trial? If sample allowed, did FBI secure sample and if so, when? Is the backlog really 8 years?

It appears during his confession RLJ indicated that he knew park rangers are instructed to not get into armed confrontations. Not only does this suggest RJL is a coward, but it would explain why locations chosen with exception of I-64. If offender caught in the act, he would initiate armed confrontation at which time park rangers would stand down and offender would escape. RJL had to learn this from somewhere. Perhaps he could be familiar with the area from work. Perhaps he was a contractor that was hired to do work along the parkway, something that would require piece of equipment on flatbed or trailer, something even like a swamp buggy on a flatbed used to clear water hyacinths. Or, a tow operator who had contact with park rangers during course of employment. Employment history for RJL appears important.

In researching, it appears there was a study that concluded the 5th crime was the closest to the offender home (24%). Depending on crimes connected, this could put Shenandoah murders as being closest to offender home.

It appears possible offender knew Phelps/Lauer since bodies covered. If they were buried and heavy rains during month before hunting season washed away soil, then that would appear to suggest possibility victims known. They were covered by blanket (Phelps complete, Lauer partially) but thought that blanket had been moved. If both covered with blanket, suggests offender knew both victims. Greater care to hide bodies would appear to suggest closer to home than other crime scenes.

I seem to recall reading conflicting accounts of whether archaeologists used at the Phelps/Lauer scene or whether detectives were sifting through the dirt like archaeologists. I do recall a detective saying they were looking for a bullet at the Phelps/Lauer scene. It would seem a bullet to a skull would be pretty easy to identify and could explain by detectives looking for bullet. It could also be due diligence but that looks less likely based upon handling prior crime scenes.

It doesn't look like assault can be ruled out in all of these cases. No assault in the Thomas/Dowski murders could be explained by Thomas fiercely fighting back. Could also explain overkill. Edwards had possibly been assaulted. Hailey not found. Not able to determine if assault on Phelps. Don't believe assault in Shenandoah and not sure indications of struggle. It seems possible that having a male present heightened the feeling of power for the offender and fantasy ruined when discovered two women with no male thereby enraging him. If this is the case, based upon EAR/ONS, offender could have started series with single females before the CPK killings.

Still researching family of RJL and don't want to comment until know with certainty. Appears possible he is related closely to CNA. Also appears possible he had brother in law in MA hospital for operation during late 1980's - Hillcrest. Perhaps, related or not RJL had relative who was CNA for person injured in MA accident and who later moved to VA.

There was report of a man being investigated along I-64 for having red light that could be put on roof, fake badge, and handcuffs. Man reportedly cleared based upon results of lie detector. I can't help but wonder if this person was cleared otherwise because sociopaths can beat polygraph examinations.

The crimes were well planned but the victims appear to be randomly chosen based on preselected criteria. If offender cruising the area in a tow truck or work truck, it appears a ruse like that used by the Rt 29 stalker would be more likely to work. If that were the case, perhaps after getting victims to pull over offender told victims to look in glove compartment for AAA card to distract them. Maybe he told them he would give them a tow but to call AAA since he is on the list.

Or, if they were identified close to the chosen crime scenes and the opportunity arose, offender could have done something that would cause car to become disabled after short distance, like siphoning gas. Then he could have been watching/following and pretended to happen along the scene. If tow truck, could have been on AAA list or government contract to tow vehicles off federal property.

Last edited:
I can see argument that Phelps/Lauer not connected since bodies covered and not on Federal land. Or maybe the opportunity did not arise along the CP that holiday weekend and offender had compulsion to act before end of weekend so he took risk of knowing victims and being close to home. Often offenders interviewed early in investigation. If person was known to investigators and they spoke with him, would explain why crimes stopped for years after this crime.

I'm not sure that RJL wasn't trying to commit an assault during the Blue Ridge attack. He incapacitated the male and then shot at the female before putting his gun down and pursuing on foot. He later picked gun up and fired another shot so it was still loaded. It seems could be desire to assault or throw off the ledge while they are conscious.

RLJ alive according to federal inmate database. RLJ is by far not the only person who needs to be ruled out from what I see. But, should be the easiest with him being in prison for life and FBI having DNA.

RLJ alive according to federal inmate database. RLJ is by far not the only person who needs to be ruled out from what I see. But, should be the easiest with him being in prison for life and FBI having DNA.

Good research and post. I knew he was alive with the appeal he made that you confirmed for me but just assumed now he might be dead as he had late stage prostrate cancer when he was arrested in 2010 and that is quite a few years ago. Also as you might know because I believe he was an extremely prolific Serial Killer I always thought his incarceration would be closely controlled or monitored by the FBI. If you look it appears he did not want to plead guilty at first and originally pleaded not guilty and one of the top justice officials in the country was involved in him not receiving the death sentence for his 2010 crimes.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back