Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the juror/s even make it past voir dire with sentiments expressed in the following?

Once those sentiments were discovered, shouldn't that/those juror/s have been removed and replaced when it became clear to other jurors that those were their views?
[WZ, the foreman] tells The Associated Press jurors struggled with what they called a flawed system, explaining Arias wasn't "Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson." They thought it was unfair that 12 average Americans who aren't lawyers had to make such a crucial decision.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/...cle_ec0512b3-8f2f-54ca-ba40-abd66f7854bc.html
OMG! Flawed system? How about flawed jurors! :banghead:
Isn't that enough for a jury nullification...or can't that be done during a penalty phase?
Just thinking...can't remember a trial where that actually even happened. So nevermind. lol

If the jury had come back unanimous Life, and JSS had sentenced Jodi LWOP would people have been angry, or do you think they would have accepted their decision a lot easier?

No they didn't.

And they're not on WS and watching HLN 24/7. Well, maybe now they will be.

This is the reason why I have a juror, and we can't be mad at the justice system.

She got M1, better than 2nd degree.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

Defending the jurors doesn't mean I hate the Alexanders. It just means I think they did their jobs.

I really am alarmed by the anger directed at the jurors, though. They didn't kill Travis.

MOO

then why say it? is this guy so stupid that he believes she's going to tell HIM?

it just sounds to me like the jury foreman has no appreciation at all for the massive amount of f'd up psycho he looked at across the courtroom for 5 months.

ikr!!! she wouldn't tell the police, prosecutor, 2 dr's that were on her side or even her own lawyers, but she will tell him :facepalm:

(BBM)

:fence:
Just for the record, I'm not angry with any of the jurors, just confused as to why they gave up after only 13 hours of deliberation. And I'm heartbroken for the Alexander family that they didn't get the case resolution they need and deserve. They've already been through so much... :(

I bet Mr. Foreman announced that he was willing to sit there and debate for the next month, but he was never changing his mind. He doesn't strike me as a guy open to instruction by others, and the rest realized changing his mind was a lost cause.

Defending the jurors doesn't mean I hate the Alexanders. It just means I think they did their jobs.

I really am alarmed by the anger directed at the jurors, though. They didn't kill Travis.

MOO

I cannot disagree with your feelings; no one has that right. I do understand and respect your points. :toast:

Anger at the jury doesn't bother me nearly as much as the blame directed towards the victim, Travis. He should have known she was crazy, he was "unlikable". Good grief!! :sick:

I feel so bad for the Alexander family. Hopefully they will remember there are 8 jurors who aren't hung up on why Jodi Arias premeditated the vicious slaughter of their brother. The facts in evidence answered that question.

I bet those jurors are pi$$ed beyond words. Especially at him. I would be.

ktgirl said in part:
"Sometimes I wondered, since Travis said Jodi wasn't emotional during sex via his statement she saw him as a dildo with a heartbeat, that she wasn't realy into the sex but doing these things because she thought it would keep him around & keep him liking her"

I appreciated many points in your post, but I wonder if there is another side to the dildo comment. I did not see it as her being "uninvolved" in the act(s), but rather craving the acts and that his hardware was no different than the next guy's or the sex toy. That comment and others made me wonder if he was saying she was something of a nympho?? hmm. :dunno: Thoughts?

MOO

I've expressed nothing but sympathy and gratitude for the jury all the way through, even after they hung. I still reserve judgement on the 3 holdouts who have not spoken. But number 18 , IMO, deserves every last bit of condemnation and contempt being directed at him. He either didn 't understand what he was being asked to do or he willfully chose to insert his own sympathies, bias and ignorance as he saw fit. I notice as well that he's the only juror going public, that he keeps speaking for the whole jury without their permission, and that he seems to be loving the limelight.

No apologies here for feeling contempt for the man.

Seems to me just human nature to want to understand the psychology behind such a horrific act.

I'd like to know too, instead of just speculating like I have been, like we've all been.

It is human nature to wonder, but as a member of that jury that was not his mandate. He was not charged with wondering why she did something so horrible, he was charged with weighing the mitigating factors against the acknowledged extreme cruelty of the crime. He apparently wasn't capable of that.

I've had this thought, as well. I really don't think the murder had anything to do with the Cancun trip, and may have been more about making sure her secrets died with him. Having sex with him before the murder, though... that was pure sociopath.

In that last text msg, he told her that she was the worst thing that had ever happened to him and that he wanted nothing to do with her. She made sure that he ate those words before she killed him. In her twisted mind, that ensured that she was the "winner" in every sense.
IMO
What would be the one secret JA wouldn't want to get out? That she was n*ts? Then, I'd agree. Travis was "threatening" to tell her family...well hadn't others? No, IMO, he's thinking like a normal person...and whatever JA was threatening to do would be worthy of his anger.

I agree with you Frayed, but when I read this guy's interview....
many negative feelings re. Bill Z. are bursting forth from me.

I guess the point I was trying to make, and missing badly, was this:

I am anti-DP (surprise surprise). If I were chosen for a jury based on my vehement assurances that I would not be able to sentence a person to death, but then saw in the course of the trial such evidence that completely shook my core and persuaded me that in some cases the DP is in fact the right punishment, and I then voted for death.....

Would I be a duplicitous liar? Or would I be a human being who made a decision based on the evidence I had been given? I think that every thing we experience in life changes us, and our views and our beliefs, even in the tiniest of ways.

My belief is that something, some statement, some picture, some who knows what gave 4 of the jurors pause and they were not able to in good conscience, vote death.

I cannot imagine what these jurors have endured for 5 months and hot dog! They gave Jodi M1! They haven't failed. Not by a long shot.

How did the juror/s even make it past voir dire with sentiments expressed in the following?

Once those sentiments were discovered, shouldn't that/those juror/s have been removed and replaced when it became clear to other jurors that those were their views?
[WZ, the foreman] tells The Associated Press jurors struggled with what they called a flawed system, explaining Arias wasn't "Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson." They thought it was unfair that 12 average Americans who aren't lawyers had to make such a crucial decision.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/...cle_ec0512b3-8f2f-54ca-ba40-abd66f7854bc.html
OMG! Flawed system? How about flawed jurors! :banghead:

The jurors weren't flawed. You are citing one media source that cites one member of the jury. Let's give this some more time.

If the jury had come back unanimous Life, and JSS had sentenced Jodi LWOP would people have been angry, or do you think they would have accepted their decision a lot easier?
I assumed they would. But, I will always support what the family wants.

I wish this trial could be mandatory viewing or reading for all teenaged boys.

If the girl you're sleeping with is straight up crazy and you know it (the kind of crazy that slashes your tires and breaks into your house), don't keep sleeping with her. Even if she's the only available sex around or does kinky stuff other girls won't. Even if she's the best sex you ever had.

Don't keep having sex with the crazy. Staying alive is way better than a few minutes of sex with the crazy.

She didn't seem all that upset when the verdict was read. I actually thought that the little emotion we did see from her (the slightly open mouthed gasp), was her telling herself that she should react...especially if the Alexander family had.

Absolutely. To me, CMJA looked like she was telling herself "I can't smile, I can't smile, I can't smile..." Her whole life has been trying to stop herself from showing the emotions she's REALLY feeling and blurting out what she's REALLY thinking. But with Travis, those emotions finally came through, and the results were horrific.

This is what the foreman fell for.

Hummm and then have a convicted felon answer for the family on why they didn't show.
Speculation only: What if JA wasn't crying at all. What if she was faking sadness over family not being there for our eyes, but actually knew they (D also?) were off retrieving grampa's gun, etc. out on 93 which btw can take you to either Hoover Dam or Grand Canyon... Both are approx. 3hrs+ ea from Phoenix.

I'm totally speculating. We're taking visiting family on the "dam tour" over the weekend and I think it's got me playing Nancy Drew again.

Anger at the jury doesn't bother me nearly as much as the blame directed towards the victim, Travis. He should have known she was crazy, he was "unlikable". Good grief!! :sick:

and apparently TA should have known that calling her a 'three hole wonder' was so abusive that she would immediately begin planning his murder.

jeez, can't a guy get mad anymore without being labeled an 'abuser?' seriously, anger's a normal human emotion and i've said things i shouldn't have in anger. haven't we all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517