Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be correct or it could be a reporter's confusion with names (happens all the time with facts in articles). If Trina is a Taylor she may have gone back to the Murphy name to keep that name forefront in the news since she appears to be the family's main spokesperson.
Not to belabor the point:
This is only one example of many references. Just thought it was interesting that she, as the main spokesperson or the most visible, has been reported as TM since the 16th. Up until the 12th, it was TT.

https://www.google.com/search?q="tr...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I think youre reading too much into that article. I just read it and to me it sounds like the family has a connection to the FBI....as in a family member works for the FBI (and probably holds a position of authority there).....hence the involvement in a local case that would normally be handled by local police who can get really touchy about jurisdictions.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23087552/...-alexis-murphy

I see someone posted pics of the search in the past couple of days. Just wondering if anyone has searched near the abandoned soapstone quarries in Nelson county? There are also a few on the way to Charlottesville. Im told they are mostly filled with water and very deep. If RAT spent a lot of time outside and in the area he probably knew about them. Aberdene Soapstone Company would probably have a lot more information.

I did originally have the thought that the "familial ties to FBI" meant that a family member of AM was an FBI agent...

but then... I wouldn't think that information would be put out to the public in that way...

It could be perceived that since AM is related to someone in the FBI... That she is getting more attention/service by LE/FBI... Than someone in the public who does not have family ties to the FBI...

It could be perceived as "favoritism" ... And could cause backlash from the public...

Just some thoughts...

WELCOME to the board!! Great post, very interesting information and would explain the hush-hush. imo

I think he clearly spends a lot of time outdoors. The first thing I looked at in his picture was the whites of his eyes...thinking jaundice. jmo

Her Aunt said after the hearing on Thursday that they don't know any of the information that was released in court. So they either are not privy to everything in Alexis' case, which isn't unusual.....or, what was said in the closed hearing did not pertain to Alexis' case at all, but in fact was evidence they have found relating to another case. jmo

This other case could explain multiple searches in different areas as well.

Good point...

Searching multiple places, preventing AM's family members into court for "sensitive and unusual" evidence... Could very well indicate there was evidence being discussed regarding multiple victims...

JMO

Not to belabor the point:
This is only one example of many references. Just thought it was interesting that she, as the main spokesperson or the most visible, has been reported as TM since the 16th. Up until the 12th, it was TT.

https://www.google.com/search?q="tr...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

This could be correct or it could be a reporter's confusion with names (happens all the time with facts in articles). If Trina is a Taylor she may have gone back to the Murphy name to keep that name forefront in the news since she appears to be the family's main spokesperson.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/23111299/fbi-no-sign-of-alexis-murphy-despite-suspect-arrest

"Alexis's family says the arrest is a bittersweet development in her abduction.

"Exciting. Obviously, very bittersweet to know that they have a suspect, but Alexis isn't home yet. But a jolt of energy, hope and faith," said Angela Taylor, Alexis's aunt.

"It's been determined that she really was abducted, and we have a suspect and they're in custody, that's major," said another aunt, Trina Taylor."

RAT was arrested the 11th. I guess I can understand her switching to the Murphy name...personally.

I can understand where people not from around here may get certain lines of thinking... I do understand that... but, since I personally know members of Alexis family, I just need to provide some clarification here.... Angela's last name is Taylor... no relation to RAT.... Trina's last name is Murphy, not Taylor... and her maiden name is not Taylor either... Any reference to her as Trina Taylor in media articles IS a mistake... Also, it was mentioned or suggested several pages back, that it was strange that dad had not been in the news... well, he has... a few times... but he spends most of his time with mom as they try to get through this... this is the main reason both Trina and Angela have been the faces in the media... because Laura and Troy have enough to deal with already without having to deal with media too... just to add a little more clarity to the "type" of family this is... it is extremely close-knit... extended family members within this family are as close as one might find in most immediate families... this is a good family... a close, loving, and supportive family... the type of family many people wish they had... sorry... I just felt I needed to put that out there... :twocents:

I did originally have the thought that the "familial ties to FBI" meant that a family member of AM was an FBI agent...

but then... I wouldn't think that information would be put out to the public in that way...

It could be perceived that since AM is related to someone in the FBI... That she is getting more attention/service by LE/FBI... Than someone in the public who does not have family ties to the FBI...

It could be perceived as "favoritism" ... And could cause backlash from the public...

Just some thoughts...

IHAVENOCLUE, if the FBI is not brought in on a child abduction investigation where a stranger abduction is indicated. A backlash would be more likely, imo..

Introducing the CARD Teams - Child Abduction Rapid Deployment (CARD) Teams - FBI
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/non-family-abductions

Child abductions by strangers are often complex and high-profile cases. And time is of the essence.

That’s why we’ve added another tool in our Violent Crimes Against Children program that helps our local field offices in these cases: our Child Abduction Rapid Deployment, or CARD, teams.

Here’s the “who, what, when, and where” of these teams:

Who makes up a CARD team? FBI agents with in-depth experience and a proven track record in violent crimes against children investigations, especially cases where a child has been abducted by someone other than a family member. Once selected, team members go through extensive training. Each team has a designated leader. The teams work closely with behavioral analysts, National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime coordinators, and Child Exploitation Task Force members.

What do the CARD teams do? Relying on their expertise and experience, team members make sure the investigation moves quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly. They provide our field offices running the investigations with on-site investigative, technical, and resource assistance during the initial critical period after a child is kidnapped.

When are the teams deployed? Soon after an abduction has been reported to a local FBI field office, to FBI Headquarters, or to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, or in other cases when the FBI determines an investigation is warranted.

Where are the teams located and where have they been deployed? We’ve created five regional teams nationwide to cover the Northeast, Southeast, North Central, South Central, and West. With the whole nation covered, we can send a team anywhere in the U.S. within hours.

In addition to their unique expertise, CARD teams can quickly establish an on-site command post to centralize investigative efforts and operations. Other assets they bring to the table include a new mapping tool to identify and locate registered sex offenders in the area, national and international lead coverage, and the Child Abduction Response Plan to guide investigative efforts.
<sniped & BBM -read more>

I can understand where people not from around here may get certain lines of thinking... I do understand that... but, since I personally know members of Alexis family, I just need to provide some clarification here.... Angela's last name is Taylor... no relation to RAT.... Trina's last name is Murphy, not Taylor... and her maiden name is not Taylor either... Any reference to her as Trina Taylor in media articles IS a mistake... Also, it was mentioned or suggested several pages back, that it was strange that dad had not been in the news... well, he has... a few times... but he spends most of his time with mom as they try to get through this... this is the main reason both Trina and Angela have been the faces in the media... because Laura and Troy have enough to deal with already without having to deal with media too... just to add a little more clarity to the "type" of family this is... it is extremely close-knit... extended family members within this family are as close as one might find in most immediate families... this is a good family... a close, loving, and supportive family... the type of family many people wish they had... sorry... I just felt I needed to put that out there... :twocents:

Yes, and my point here is to suggest that RAT made a pointed effort to select or hone in on Alexis. He had many opportinities, watching her, from the Food Lion parking lot, at the Liberty, driving down her street, maybe even saw her in Roseland as both families have ties to that town.

In addition, I have wondered if he picked up on the commonality of the extended family's last name and somehow used that to get information about Alexis. Example, telling a local he was related to so and so and had met the young teen. He may have said something as innocent as, yeah I forgot her name. Then someone says, "ah, you mean Alexis?" Then, having her name, he can take the stalking further. I have even wondered if there is a component of jealousy to this abduction or some type of revenge toward someone associated with Alexis.

Re: the dad TB, he has given interviews.
Here is one more example of such:
http://www.wset.com/story/23141418/alexis-murphys-mother-and-father-feel-their-daughter-is-alive

Good point...

Searching multiple places, preventing AM's family members into court for "sensitive and unusual" evidence... Could very well indicate there was evidence being discussed regarding multiple victims...

JMO
One news story, on WSET, reported that LE has searched a total of 12 properties in the Nelson area.

I found the reference upthread to the dad not being in the news much odd because he has been, in fact almost as much if not as much, as the mother.

In addition to Alexis' parents having to deal with their daughter missing, they also have other children who are experiencing the absence of their sister and events in their lives (school, etc.). As parents you try to keep things as normal as possible for the other children at home because unfortunately life doesn't come to a halt when something terrible happens.

No worries about defining this family - they are a good family doing what needs to be done for each other to get through this ordeal.

Yes, and my point here is to suggest that RAT made a pointed effort to select or hone in on Alexis. He had many opportinities, watching her, from the Food Lion parking lot, at the Liberty, driving down her street, maybe even saw her in Roseland as both families have ties to that town.

In addition, I have wondered if he picked up on the commonality of the extended families last name and somehow used that to get information about Alexis. Example, telling a local he was related to so and so and had met the young teen. He may have said something as innocent as, yeah I forgot her name. Then someone says, "ah, you mean Alexis?" Then, having her name, he can take the stalking further. I have even wondered if there is a component of jealousy to this abduction or some type of revenge toward someone associated with Alexis.

Re: the dad TB, he has given interviews.
Here is one more example of such:
http://www.wset.com/story/23141418/alexis-murphys-mother-and-father-feel-their-daughter-is-alive

I agree with your thoughts as possibilities.. I think at this point that is part of the problem: a million different possibilities... and its so frustrating.. I just wish they could find her... also of side note... Roseland.. isn't really a town, so to speak.. its more of stretches of road with houses here and there, and lots of woods, big fields, etc... there are the occasional side of the road gas station... but you have to visualize these gas stations as many of them just old little stores... like the pumps are not digital and don't take cards... at some of these stores... we jokingly call the store up by cub creek, the pigs feet store... because they have big jars of pickled pigs feet and pickled eggs on the counter, and when you ask for one, the reach in and grab one for you to eat... just trying to explain what Roseland is really... and most other areas in Nelson, other then the actual towns like Lovingston, Nellysford/Wintergreen... Anyway.. gotta rush, on our way to the benefit for Alexis' family... looks like the weathers gonna be great for it.. :)

I found the reference upthread to the dad not being in the news much odd because he has been, in fact almost as much if not as much, as the mother.

In addition to Alexis' parents having to deal with their daughter missing, they also have other children who are experiencing the absence of their sister and events in their lives (school, etc.). As parents you try to keep things as normal as possible for the other children at home because unfortunately life doesn't come to a halt when something terrible happens.

No worries about defining this family - they are a good family doing what needs to be done for each other to get through this ordeal.
That post, about Alexis' dad and the comments, came in like a lightening bolt, a sucker punch of sorts and from a new voice, on this thread. This seems to happen in every case. Once there are dozens of pages and links to go through, new visitors might want to read the media links for a summary of sorts.

IHAVENOCLUE, if the FBI is not brought in on a child abduction investigation where a stranger abduction is indicated. A backlash would be more likely, imo..

Introducing the CARD Teams - Child Abduction Rapid Deployment (CARD) Teams - FBI
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/non-family-abductions

Child abductions by strangers are often complex and high-profile cases. And time is of the essence.

That’s why we’ve added another tool in our Violent Crimes Against Children program that helps our local field offices in these cases: our Child Abduction Rapid Deployment, or CARD, teams.

Here’s the “who, what, when, and where” of these teams:

Who makes up a CARD team? FBI agents with in-depth experience and a proven track record in violent crimes against children investigations, especially cases where a child has been abducted by someone other than a family member. Once selected, team members go through extensive training. Each team has a designated leader. The teams work closely with behavioral analysts, National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime coordinators, and Child Exploitation Task Force members.

What do the CARD teams do? Relying on their expertise and experience, team members make sure the investigation moves quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly. They provide our field offices running the investigations with on-site investigative, technical, and resource assistance during the initial critical period after a child is kidnapped.

When are the teams deployed? Soon after an abduction has been reported to a local FBI field office, to FBI Headquarters, or to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, or in other cases when the FBI determines an investigation is warranted.

Where are the teams located and where have they been deployed? We’ve created five regional teams nationwide to cover the Northeast, Southeast, North Central, South Central, and West. With the whole nation covered, we can send a team anywhere in the U.S. within hours.

In addition to their unique expertise, CARD teams can quickly establish an on-site command post to centralize investigative efforts and operations. Other assets they bring to the table include a new mapping tool to identify and locate registered sex offenders in the area, national and international lead coverage, and the Child Abduction Response Plan to guide investigative efforts.
<sniped & BBM -read more>
I agree that FBI do, and should, become involved when a child/minor goes missing..

I am still just trying to make sense of the reason(or one of the reasons) it was reported that the FBI was brought in for "familial ties"...

THAT is the part that has me puzzled...

Why was that statement even made?

JMO

I agree that FBI do, and should, become involved when a child/minor goes missing..

I am still just trying to make sense of the reason(or one of the reasons) it was reported that the FBI was brought in for "familial ties"...

JMO
Given the news of the week, I would say it has to do with "Familial" DNA...not anything to do with family connections to members in LE. JMO.

Somebody is probably in a boatload of trouble for ever dropping that little gem to the news media. I suspect the person did not expect the story about familial DNA to be published or that anyone, in the general public, might be wise enough to consider a relationship to this case.

Given the news of the week, I would say it has to do with "Familial" DNA...not anything to do with family connections to members in LE. JMO.

Somebody is probably in a boatload of trouble for ever dropping that little gem to the news media. I suspect the person did not expect the story about familial DNA to be published or that anyone, in the general public, might be wise enough to consider a relationship to this case.

It was probably a big Oops! On someone's part then... For having it reported...

:doh:

Familial DNA is simply an investigative tool used to link POIs/suspects that may not have their DNA in FBI CODIS or State databanks. States that have familial DNA laws have solved many cases due to this very useful tool.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/dna-379543-santa-familial.html

Senior Forensic Scientist Mary Hong, with the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner Department, is reflected in a Tecan-Te-Shake, DNA extraction machine. Samples from 30 to 40 case are put into the machine during a two to three hour process of getting the DNA out of cells taken from samples at crime scenes.
GRAPHIC:
Family member's DNA solves 1978 killing
GRAPHIC: How familial DNA testing works

By DENISSE SALAZAR / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

SANTA ANA &#8211; A man who never knew his father was the missing link Santa Ana cold-case detectives needed to solve the apparent sexual assault and murder of a young mother and the shooting of her friend in 1978.
The case was solved earlier this month using DNA taken from crime scenes to identify family members of a suspected criminal...
<sniped & BBM- read more>

Random thought of the day.

I wonder if her car was clean when it was found. If so, perhaps it would be worth checking cameras near car washes in the area.

JMO

My guess is that RAT's DNA was linked to other crime, but wasn't an exact match but of that of someone not in the database but RAT is related to. Possibly brother, father...?

I wonder if they found partial DNA that shows someone who must at least share a parent with RT was in her car?

I think youre reading too much into that article. I just read it and to me it sounds like the family has a connection to the FBI....as in a family member works for the FBI (and probably holds a position of authority there).....hence the involvement in a local case that would normally be handled by local police who can get really touchy about jurisdictions.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23087552/...-alexis-murphy

I see someone posted pics of the search in the past couple of days. Just wondering if anyone has searched near the abandoned soapstone quarries in Nelson county? There are also a few on the way to Charlottesville. Im told they are mostly filled with water and very deep. If RAT spent a lot of time outside and in the area he probably knew about them. Aberdene Soapstone Company would probably have a lot more information.

I'm not really reading into anything. Someone mentioned the Family connections thing and I just found the article for them. I don't know anything about any familial DNA, I was just trying to help them locate what they were looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fkownt