Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #8

I have not been posting but have been following everyday.

As for the public safety, I think there are no risks to the public in general. If a suicide, there are no risks. If a homicide - AS I STRONGLY GO ON BELIEVING IT WAS INDEED - there are no risks either as it was in my opinion up close and personal.

I hope that Cheryl's family go on fighting to know the truth in case the are not satisfied with the suicide thesis. I hope they are able to hire detectives that can go further if necessary in order to discover who killed this lady. I too hope one day the truth may be known and justice may be done for her.

In Cheryl's memory :rose:

It's so frustrating to not have information yet available to the public about what type of animal blood was found in her car. I feel like they could have sent this to a high school biology class and had results sooner. Again, very frustrating.

I think of Cheryl every day, especially with the other major crime happening so close by.

Well unfortunately I think we're going to have to wait until a) all the forensics come in, b) the ME makes a decision, c) the family is told and then d) LE talks to the media.

As I've said before, the statistics don't "prove" anything. While I don't have the full article, and I do think some of the points around stressors and the frequency of this type of method being higher over age 50 are interesting, the point about the forensics being difficult to determine manner of death was very interesting.

I do have the full article, and although the majority of suicide by plastic bag people are over 50, the age range is 18-93, and the mean is 72. This table clarifies the age of the majority of people who use a plastic bag to commit suicide. The majority are over 50, but the real bulk of asphyxia via plastic bag are in their 70s and older than 80. Prior to 1991, the majority were women, and afterward the majority were men.

What this tells us is that between 1984 and 1993, there were 9 people between the ages of 50-59 who committed suicide with a plastic bag.

Asphixia.jpg

Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 1996 Dec;17(4):308-11.
Asphyxial suicides using plastic bags.
Haddix TL1, Harruff RC, Reay DT, Haglund WD.
Author information
1King County Medical Examiner's Office, Seattle, Washington, USA.

Well unfortunately I think we're going to have to wait until

a) all the forensics come in
b) the ME makes a decision,
c) the family is told and then
d) LE talks to the media.
... and the sensitive information that is unrelated to suicide.

I do have the full article, and although the majority of suicide by plastic bag people are over 50, the age range is 18-93, and the mean is 72. This table clarifies the age of the majority of people who use a plastic bag to commit suicide. The majority are over 50, but the real bulk of asphyxia via plastic bag are in their 70s and older than 80. Prior to 1991, the majority were women, and afterward the majority were men.

What this tells us is that between 1984 and 1993, there were 9 people between the ages of 50-59 who committed suicide with a plastic bag.

attachment.php

Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 1996 Dec;17(4):308-11.
Asphyxial suicides using plastic bags.
Haddix TL1, Harruff RC, Reay DT, Haglund WD.
Author information
1King County Medical Examiner's Office, Seattle, Washington, USA.
I don't have access to the full text either so can you tell me if they happened to mention how many of these cases who asphyxiated themselves used JUST a plastic bag or did they use sedatives or other drugs first? If they sedated themselves first, that is yet another way that CD differs from this sample population. Also this is totally nit- picky but the sample of people who committed suicide by asphyxia is not normally distributed and is skewed left therefore they should have reported a median age, not a mean age. i always tend to question the credibility of the entire article when the authors get something simple wrong like reporting the correct measure of central tendency.

I don't have access to the full text either so can you tell me if they happened to mention how many of these cases who asphyxiated themselves used JUST a plastic bag or did they use sedatives or other drugs first? If they sedated themselves first, that is yet another way that CD differs from this sample population. Also this is totally nit- picky but the sample of people who committed suicide by asphyxia is not normally distributed and is skewed left therefore they should have reported a median age, not a mean age. i always tend to question the credibility of the entire article when the authors get something simple wrong like reporting the correct measure of central tendency.

Toxicology Results

"Over the 10-year period of review, 53 cases of plastic bag asphyxial deaths were identified, which represented 2.6% of the 2,052 total suicides investigated by this ...

Toxicologic analyses of body fluids obtained at postmortem examination were performed by the Washington State Toxicology Laboratory in all but two cases. Ethanol was identified in the blood in 10 cases and drugs were identified in 22 cases. In 12 of the 22 cases, acute drug intoxications (with or without ethanol) were believed to have been a contributory cause of death. Barbiturates were identified in five cases, opiates in three, antidepressants and antihistamines in two cases each, and volatile hydrocarbons, anxiolytics, and acetaminophen in one case each. Of the five cases in which an acute barbiturate intoxication was identified as contributory, two of the decedents were in possession of Hemlock Society literature."

Ref:
Asphyxial Suicides Using Plastic Bags
Haddix, T. L. M.D.; Harruff, R. C. M.D., Ph.D.; Reay, D. T. M.D.; Haglund, W. D. Ph.D.

Jmo, I cannot see tox results doing anything to truly clarify this death. Also I cannot comprehend in any way that Cheryl was murdered. It is my opinion that we will hear very little, if anything, more. LE stated, Imo, as clearly as they dared, that there were no indications of murder or of the presence of another person. That, to me, makes murder very, very unlikely, as does the lack of a motive in what would have had to be, Imo, a very personal type of crime. A bizarre suicide perhaps, but would be even more bizarre if a murder like this left no traces at all. All jmo...

Jmo, I cannot see tox results doing anything to truly clarify this death. Also I cannot comprehend in any way that Cheryl was murdered. It is my opinion that we will hear very little, if anything, more. LE stated, Imo, as clearly as they dared, that there were no indications of murder or of the presence of another person. That, to me, makes murder very, very unlikely, as does the lack of a motive in what would have had to be, Imo, a very personal type of crime. A bizarre suicide perhaps, but would be even more bizarre if a murder like this left no traces at all. All jmo...

If it is a suicide, it is clearly a suicide disguised as a murder. I have to wonder why Cheryl would want to let people think she was murdered? Is there shame associated with suicide?

Are there any news accounts online of the celebrity's death?

There are, but they only report the suicide and not the actual manner of the suicide. I just happened to be working with someone who knew the family at the time it happened and they told me about it. I hadn't ever heard of anyone committing suicide this way before then.

If it is a suicide, it is clearly a suicide disguised as a murder. I have to wonder why Cheryl would want to let people think she was murdered? Is there shame associated with suicide?

I don't see it that way. Why do damage to her hands and/or arms, for one thing? It did not appear to be damage another had inflicted. I think if she meant to be taken as a murder victim, she might have inflicted bruising on her arms or neck etc...

If it is a suicide, it is clearly a suicide disguised as a murder. I have to wonder why Cheryl would want to let people think she was murdered? Is there shame associated with suicide?[/QUOTE]

Of course there is...

The "shame" from suicide seems to come from survivors and religious people Imo. I wish suicide was openly discussed, maybe some lives would be saved, especially teens and young adults. Jmo

I don't see it that way. Why do damage to her hands and/or arms, for one thing? It did not appear to be damage another had inflicted. I think if she meant to be taken as a murder victim, she might have inflicted bruising on her arms or neck etc...

She had a cut on one finger from each hand - deemed to be self inflicted. It's the animal blood on the floor of the car that confuses me, but perhaps it's just a random coincidence that it was there.

She had a cut on one finger from each hand - deemed to be self inflicted. It's the animal blood on the floor of the car that confuses me, but perhaps it's just a random coincidence that it was there.

I keep putting the animal blood with her hunting I guess, but jmo.

GUILT for the surviving family and friends…. maybe she knew that they would feel a tremendous amount of guilt, like how could they not know, how could they not stop her, etc??? It might eat at them… so to SPARE her family and friends, if Cheryl did commit suicide, making it look like something it was not, perhaps was the BEST option for her so that they would not feel that additional pain, that additional burden of not being able to stop her.
If it was someone else's fault, a murderer, then there is no guilt in that respect ,that her family and friends would feel. And if she committed suicide, she knew that there was no murderer running around, she knew that she wasn't murdered, so in her mind, perhaps the inhabitants of Mountlake Terrace don't have to worry because there never was a killer roaming around anyway, so maybe she justified that to herself?

IMOO.

Toxicology Results

"Over the 10-year period of review, 53 cases of plastic bag asphyxial deaths were identified, which represented 2.6% of the 2,052 total suicides investigated by this ...

Toxicologic analyses of body fluids obtained at postmortem examination were performed by the Washington State Toxicology Laboratory in all but two cases. Ethanol was identified in the blood in 10 cases and drugs were identified in 22 cases. In 12 of the 22 cases, acute drug intoxications (with or without ethanol) were believed to have been a contributory cause of death. Barbiturates were identified in five cases, opiates in three, antidepressants and antihistamines in two cases each, and volatile hydrocarbons, anxiolytics, and acetaminophen in one case each. Of the five cases in which an acute barbiturate intoxication was identified as contributory, two of the decedents were in possession of Hemlock Society literature."

Ref:
Asphyxial Suicides Using Plastic Bags
Haddix, T. L. M.D.; Harruff, R. C. M.D., Ph.D.; Reay, D. T. M.D.; Haglund, W. D. Ph.D.
Fantastic literature find otto.
Thank you

It's been really quiet here. It is strange those comments from the family have been deleted on Celebrating Cheryl's FB page. I wonder if this means they believe it was suicide? Will Stryker57 come here to say either way? I'm guessing we will never know. How awful and sad for them. If it is suicide, I imagine that's unimaginable pain for them to go through-but they do have the tiny comfort of knowing she wasn't suffering at the hands of a murderer. Doesn't seem like a comfort at all I'm sure though.

It's been really quiet here. It is strange those comments from the family have been deleted on Celebrating Cheryl's FB page. I wonder if this means they believe it was suicide? Will Stryker57 come here to say either way? I'm guessing we will never know. How awful and sad for them. If it is suicide, I imagine that's unimaginable pain for them to go through-but they do have the tiny comfort of knowing she wasn't suffering at the hands of a murderer. Doesn't seem like a comfort at all I'm sure though.

It has been quiet here. My posts are infrequent now. Not much to say anymore, until there's more info released.

IMOO.

It has been quiet here. My posts are infrequent now. Not much to say anymore, until there's more info released.

IMOO.

So true
But i still come in every morning to check...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back