GUILTY WA - Jay Cook, 20, & Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, Skagit County, 24 Nov 1987

Talbott defense doubles down on rape versus consensual sex angle in appeal

William Talbott II, who was found guilty two weeks ago of murdering a young Canadian couple on an overnight road trip to Seattle, has asked for a new trial.

In an appeal filed this week, Talbott’s attorneys pointed to a story published on Sunday in the Everett Herald, in which three jurors explain why they didn’t come around to the defense’s position.
[.....]
It was the first time in U.S. history that someone found using genetic genealogy had sat trial. The method wasn’t contested, nor was it considered in the appeal. Rather, the defense attorneys focused on the jurors’ reasons for why they found Talbott guilty.

Points made in the appeal:

too long to post! :) you'll have to read the article!

The defense did not dispute that Talbott and Van Cuylenborg had sexual contact in 1987. Rather, the defense said that they had sex, and someone else did the killing.

But Talbott's attorneys have insisted this was not rape. In court, one of the defense attorneys said the presence of the young woman’s fluids mixed with Talbott's semen indicated consensual sex.

One of the jurors found that explanation flabbergasting, according to the Herald. (It has been well documented that some women will not resist rape to appease their attacker.)
[.....]
t simply did not compute for them that Van Cuylenborg, on a short trip with her boyfriend, and on her period, would “consent to unprotected sex with a random stranger, then encounter another random stranger, who killed her with a gun and happened to leave behind no DNA.”

His sentencing date is 7/24.
I don't see much in that other then the jurors disagreed with the defence.

I meant to quote this from the Herald article on the jurors but must have forgotten:
Afterward, in a private debriefing with attorneys, the jury was informed of a major piece of evidence the state hadn’t been able to present at trial. Zip ties found in the couple’s van had tested as a possible match for Talbott’s DNA. In recent months, the state crime lab had obtained new equipment that was better at testing mixed samples of DNA. Results came back in the middle of the trial, and, out of caution, prosecutors did not put that evidence before the jury.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/jurors-share-why-they-found-talbott-guilty-of-double-murder/
Even if this goes to a retrial the evidence will be stronger.

Legally Bland said:
snipped by me....
Even if this goes to a retrial the evidence will be stronger.

True Legally Bland!

I am so glad they have these "new" DNA tests they are doing! Hoping MOST of the cold cases will be solved.

When first started reading this - I thought - Oh shoot - sentencing delayed....

07/24/2019 Sentencing Hearing
Hearing Time: 9:00 AM
Cancel Reason: Clerical Error

Cancel Reason: Stricken

07/24/2019 Motion Hearing
Judicial Officer: Krese, Linda C

Judicial Officer: Krese, Linda C
Hearing Time: 10:30 AM

link: Odyssey Portal - Washington Courts Online Case Search

Wednesday, July 24th:
*Motions & Sentencing Hearing (Motions @ 9am PT; Sentencing @ 10:30am PT) – WA – Jay Cook (20) & Tanya Van Cuylenborg (18) (Nov. 19, 1987, Skagit County; Tanya found 11/24/87, Jay 11/26/87) – *William Earl Talbott II (56/24 @ time of crime) arrested (5/17/18), charged (5/18/18), indicted (6/15/18) & arraigned (6/19/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty (6/19/18). $2.5M bail. DA will not seek DP.
Investigators made a break in the cold case using a new strategy involving genetic genealogy (Parabon Nanolabs) & uploading DNA from the crime scene to a public, online genealogy (GEDMatch) database.
Trial started 6/14, and ended 6/25/19. Jury started deliberations on 6/25/19. 12 jurors with 3 alternates.

Jury Selection hearings from 6/11/19 to 6/13/19 & Trial dates & Jury Deliberations (1-8: 6/14/19 to 6/26/19) reference post #145 here:
GUILTY - WA - Jay Cook, 20, & Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, Skagit County, 24 Nov 1987

6/28/19 Day 11: Jury deliberations day 3. Jury finds William Talbott guilty of two counts of aggravated murder in the first degree. Judge Linda Krese set sentencing for July 24. There is only one possible sentence: life in prison. Defense asks for new trial. Judge will consider it today.

"The first person to ever be convicted as a result of genealogy research has been handed two life sentences for killing a young B.C. couple in 1987.

William Talbott II, 56, was sentenced on Wednesday at Snohomish County District Court in Everett, Wash. The sentences are to be served consecutively."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...talbott-sentencing-cold-case-murder-1.5223418
From the link:

The only person present from Talbott's family was one of his second cousins, , whose DNA helped to identify him. She sat between John Van Cuylenborg and Jay's father Gordon during the sentencing.

[...]

Rustad, who met the two victims families for the first time, said she was happy to be able to support them.

"It felt really good to be part of that and to be present with them and be able to introduce myself face-to-face and just to let them know that I support them in every capacity," said Rustad.

She said she did not feel conflicted about the fact that Talbott is her cousin and that her DNA helped to convict him.

"Absolutely not, in light of the horrific nature of the crime. And of course, he's guilty of the crime, there's absolutely no defence there that would make any sense."

The second cousin is a heroine—and smart! :)

I agree!

so JUSTICE for Jay & Tanya!

animated-smileys-occupations-079.gif

There are cases that I check in on from time to time to see if there are any updates.

While I didn’t know this case, I’m glad someone has been found guilty through DNA for a brutal double murder - even so many years later.

I was looking for updates on the Mineral Washington killings of the two couples - possible three couples - killed on old trails in Washington State in 1985.

Especially the murder of Diana Robertson and Mike Reimer on December 12, 1985 along an old logging road. It caught my eye that Jay Cook was initially thought to have been involved since his body was found so far away.

Mike Reimer was considered a suspect in Diana Robertson’s murder for a long time since his body wasn’t found until 2011.

The case always stuck with me since their 2 year old daughter was found wandering in a Kmart 30 miles away. She could have only gotten there by the killer driving her 30 miles to drop her off after the killings.

Probably, the stabbings in the Mineral Washington murders rule this guy out - since he seems to have preferred a gun in this case. The Reimer/Robertson case was also on Unsolved Mysteries.

While DNA was mentioned when police recovered Mike Reimer’s body in 2011, nothing more has been updated to the public.

Hoping the police at least have talked to this guy about other possible crimes, I doubt this couple were his only victims.

The Fifth Estate is producing a documentary about the case. It will be broadcast during the show's season premiere on Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on CBC-TV.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/william-talbott-ii-family-police-interviews-1.5286050
"William Talbott II told his sentencing hearing that he never raised a hand toward anyone"

"Routh told police the alleged attack happened when she was 15 and Talbott was 17. She had lowered the volume on the radio in her bedroom and he had wanted it on full volume.

"I was trying to change my clothes and I locked the door and he smashed the door down just to run the radio up," Routh told police.

Their parents had to take her to the hospital."

"Routh also told detectives that when she was around 11 years old, Talbott sexually assaulted her."

"Talbott's violent actions also included a family pet.

"He dropped Nicky in the well," Routh told police in reference to the family cat. "My dad had to get the cat out of the well and sterilize the well."

VIDEO.
CBC Gem
"Genealogist Cece Moore tracks a Canadian cold case with a new and controversial technique that could potentially revolutionize crime fighting. Bob McKeown investigates."

Oct 7 2020
How a Woman's Interest in Her Family’s DNA Led to a Shocking Arrest in a Cold Case Double Murder
''Chelsea Rustad knew very little about her family history.

“I couldn’t name a single one of my great-grandparents and I thought that was a little strange,” she tells PEOPLE.

In 2013, she decided to purchase a subscription to Ancestry.com to begin building her family’s tree. It became a hobby, and in 2015, she won a DNA kit after submitting a photo of herself.

She uploaded her profile but then didn't think much of it. Until 2018, when two officers from the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office in Washington state showed up at her door. “It was the first time I’d ever heard about the double homicide of the Canadian couple from 1987,” she says.''

''Authorities who worked for decades to solve the case say they're very grateful for Rustad’s willingness to assist the investigation''.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back