WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I don't think I would be smiling at a funeral. I think I would be balling my eyes out.

Just a thought ....
Maybe smiling was the side-effect of drugs she'd been prescribed to deal with the murder of her daughter?

My hearts and prayers go out to MC's acquaintances, friends, and family. No one can truly measure loss except by the hole left in one's absence.

As unique as our fingerprints, we all grieve in our own way. Let us not pass judgement on ANY of her family, immediate or extended thru relationships, in ANY way - innocent until proven guilty. More so, these people are in DEEP grief and by jabbing at them in their pain, is horrible to watch.

That being said... I am curious as to why LE has not asked if anyone saw someone walking out of NUMBER TWO canyon in the wee hours of the night or morning following the found car. It seems to me that the person(s) who committed this crime is from the local area. IF it was me not wanting to get caught - I would NOT walk out Pitcher Canyon, instead I'd walk down the road away from the car (ie footprints) and THEN hike over to Number Two Canyon Road and down into town that way, or possibly via Saddlerock.

My thought on that was that they were up there beatin the bushes for a couple of days with scent dogs and all. Seems they would have been looking for just that and found some tracks or something for the dogs to follow?

Del Rio, do you know when that pond was built at the CB house?

Here's the thing: Even if Mackenzie was up in Chelan and something happened to her up there, and it is entirely possible.............why bring her body all the way back down to CB?
Somewhere in her history, there has to be a connection to CB. Maybe not necessarily that house, tho. Maybe the connection is just Crescent Bar. That house just happened to be what the killer thought was the ideal location to hide her.......or he did try to float her out into the river but it just wasn't happening. Lake Chelan is very deep! There is a personal connection somehow..........somebody close to her and possibly threatened by her but certainly enraged and I believe a connection to Crescent Bar and possibly that house.

The killer would have to be a damn fool to have the body in the Chelan area and then take it to CB to dump it. Many bodies have never been recovered from Lake Chelan's 1000+foot depths.

My thought on that was that they were up there beatin the bushes for a couple of days with scent dogs and all. Seems they would have been looking for just that and found some tracks or something for the dogs to follow?

That's a good point AutumnRose - I'm wondering though if the scent dogs were tracking MC's scent and/or someone else's. If the dogs were tracking MC, then her scent would not be found, except in the car, as she didn't walk around there.

Anybody know where Mackenzie and Dad's dinner date was supposed to be? Was she meeting him/them at home or somewhere else?

RUMOR I've heard numerous times :

The person MC met with was associated with Facebook, it was also said that it was someone from the west side. Tacoma was mentioned, as well as "new boyfriend." Any other info out there regarding this RUMOR?

I heard the exact same rumor the day the body was discovered. Actually heard it in conversation before the body was found- was chatting with a buddy who heard from his "town gossip" wife that this could be the case and she may have taken off with someone. Then heard it a few days later as well.

There are a ton of rumors and much speculation right now. Some, which seem plausible and I hear from multiple sources, I put some stock into. Others- I do not. This one about the person being from Tacoma is making me wonder, just a bit...

I still think LE knows and it's someone local. If this is the case they are acting responsibly by keeping things close to the vest and waiting for DNA. Remember- LE said they had DNA as they sent it to the crime lab. Well, if they had DNA, they got it from something and this means they have other evidence as well.

My feelings is they didn't find it because they weren't looking for it. They know exactly who was with MC driving through down and they probably put together a rough outline of his travels before and after the killing. Chelan did not fit into this outline so it didn't matter to the investigative team.

It's actually bad detective work because at trial a good defense lawyer will use it to show that police were using blinders in their investigation because they were so focused on his client. They are trying to make the facts fit the crime, as they believe it to be, (very common among police agencies and something they have to constantly be vigilant against doing). Of course, all of this is just my opinion.[/QUOTE

I was hoping they wouldnt do this. which i beleive is why they have so many different agencies involved. But you never know hopefully they are looking into everything. with open minds.

Just a thought ....
Maybe smiling was the side-effect of drugs she'd been prescribed to deal with the murder of her daughter?
Maybe so but I tend believe alcohol and anything else tend to bring out your true inhibitions. That's why people get themselves in trouble cuz they tend to tell the truth when they are on substances. To everyone that says you don't know how you would react. I beg to differ. I know exactly how I would act if my kids were taken away from me.. I would freak!

That being said... I am curious as to why LE has not asked if anyone saw someone walking out of NUMBER TWO canyon in the wee hours of the night or morning following the found car. It seems to me that the person(s) who committed this crime is from the local area. IF it was me not wanting to get caught - I would NOT walk out Pitcher Canyon, instead I'd walk down the road away from the car (ie footprints) and THEN hike over to Number Two Canyon Road and down into town that way, or possibly via Saddlerock.

I know firsthand, LE has not questioned folks on Number Two Canyon Road. They have not been present up that area at all.

If the perp did walk all the way back to town, over Stiss to Number Two Canyon would certainly be the way to not be seen. But, it would have been a cold, trecherous hike. Possible though...

I heard this RUMOR before I ever heard of WS. IIRC it was from a teenager that knew someone that knew someone so I didn't put much stalk in it.

I hadn't put much stalk in this RUMOR either, but thought it was worth mentioning with more viewers here.

CB draws a significant number of people from the Puget Sound area. I was just curious if someone out there might have more info on this RUMOR. In addition, it is very common for former residents of the valley to re-locate to the coast, and return for family, friends, recreation...or other sordid activities? It is apparent, based on what is confirmed thus far, the perp(s) are familiar with the area...however, made some nonsensical decisions. Namely, the placement of the car and MC.

I know firsthand, LE has not questioned folks on Number Two Canyon Road. They have not been present up that area at all.

If the perp did walk all the way back to town, over Stiss to Number Two Canyon would certainly be the way to not be seen. But, it would have been a cold, trecherous hike. Possible though...

And, I assume, would leave muddy footprints to follow.

The killer would have to be a damn fool to have the body in the Chelan area and then take it to CB to dump it. Many bodies have never been recovered from Lake Chelan's 1000+foot depths.

Many bodies have never been recovered from the Columbia River at Crescent Bar as well. No other murders that I"m aware of, but drunk people have fallen off their boats and drown and were never found.

I heard the exact same rumor the day the body was discovered. Actually heard it in conversation before the body was found- was chatting with a buddy who heard from his "town gossip" wife that this could be the case and she may have taken off with someone. Then heard it a few days later as well.

There are a ton of rumors and much speculation right now. Some, which seem plausible and I hear from multiple sources, I put some stock into. Others- I do not. This one about the person being from Tacoma is making me wonder, just a bit...

I still think LE knows and it's someone local. If this is the case they are acting responsibly by keeping things close to the vest and waiting for DNA. Remember- LE said they had DNA as they sent it to the crime lab. Well, if they had DNA, they got it from something and this means they have other evidence as well.

I don't know how to search threads, but someone previously mentioned something like this on here. IIRC they had been told that someone close to MC actually started this rumor before her body was found. Basically minimizing her disappearance as kids being kids. I don't believe it is true (the rumor, I do believe the poster) and I really wish I knew where that post was. If the original poster is out there please stand up!!

Originally posted by Clueso
I don't. All I know is that it has been there for at least 5 or 6 years.

I agree. I remember seeing that pond with people playing volleyball in it around 7 years ago when it was occupied and in good condition.

That's a good point AutumnRose - I'm wondering though if the scent dogs were tracking MC's scent and/or someone else's. If the dogs were tracking MC, then her scent would not be found, except in the car, as she didn't walk around there.

It is possible and we have been kicking around the theory that both Mackenzie and her killer were up there in that area all along........at least until she was taken to CB or another location for a time. We just keep kicking things around. Like Puf said.......you just keep throwing poo at the wall and eventually something will stick.

We are trying to be sensitive tho, Emeralds. It may not look like it, but many folks on here have been at this from the get go and, given what we do know....that it was apparently somebody close to Mackenzie, we are scrutinizing every possibility and we have to do it within the confines of the rules here. Sometimes we overstep. Just ask HotMadre! She has had to make us tow the line a few times and we love her for it! Everybody is at this because they have very big and very heavy hearts for all concerned. Forgive us if we sound heartless. This site is not for the weak, though. We are workin, and welcome you to the team.........because this is a team effort here. :)

Originally Posted by Clueso View Post

I don't know if Del Rio has answered yet... but I know the pond has been there for 4-5+ years. I only recall this because I remember thinking it was a "pool" and thinking it was a cool "scenic" idea for a pool. Dumb me never thought of it as a pond... but anyway.............

I guess in regards to the alarm at the dad's family business.... perhaps we should look into if these alarms were frequent? Like if it was a business alarm system that went off frequently? Very very coincidental that it went off within hours of he disappearance, but, I guess it COULD happen.

Do we know anything about her father's family? We seemingly know so much about WC bf and her, but what about her dad's extended family.... uncles, cousins, etc. This is VERY far fetched, but could she be in line for some inheritance or something from the family business and getting her out of the way would help that? I think she was the only "daughter", was she a daddy's girl and possibly he spoiled her or whatever?

Also, I was the one that found the "missing" site, I am glad it has seemingly come in handy! Take care all!

I don't know how to search threads, but someone previously mentioned something like this on here. IIRC they had been told that someone close to MC actually started this rumor before her body was found. Basically minimizing her disappearance as kids being kids. I don't believe it is true (the rumor, I do believe the poster) and I really wish I knew where that post was. If the original poster is out there please stand up!!

i had posted back in thread 4 that someone i know had spoken with one of mc's relatives (unsure if it was from maternal or paternal side) the day before her body was found and said 'you know how these girls are nowadays, they meet someone online and run away with them' and then made some comment about girls being girls. the person who told me was absolutely appalled by the relatives attitude. i never said anything about tacoma....i hadn't heard anything about tacoma until a few posts ago. hope this clears a little something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrismatte