WA WA - Marizela Perez, 18, UW student, Seattle, 5 March 2011

You guys are great, well done on the posters! So that covers Spokane, Tacoma, Portland. Anyone up north of Seattle along Train routes? Everett or even up to Vancouver?

O/T, I loved Uwajimaya too, we miss the whole area a lot! In fact every time I read this thread it makes me hungry for butter cake from Yummy House bakery and my favorite spicy tofu from the Uwajimaya take out :)

Bumping for Marizela. Michelle Malkin has a new post with new video and a statement from Marizelas parents:

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/03/1...ssage-from-her-parents-an-army-of-volunteers/

Also, I hate to go there, but we see it so many times with college aged young people - I wonder if they have been checking the lakes, etc. There are so many bodies of water in and around Seattle. It sounds like the search was pretty confined to the U district and surrounding areas, but with so much public trans in Seattle, she could have gone anywhere pretty quickly. Can any of the locals maybe put up some flyers around the waterfront area, as well as lake Union, lake wash., etc?

I am a University of Washington employee and work just a few blocks from where she was last seen. I have been following this story closely as it really hits home.

As a local, I have a few thoughts:

1. The Safeway that she was last seen at is referred to by area residents as the “Ghetto Safeway” due to the constant presence of drug dealers, thugs, hoodlums in the parking lot. I do not shop there, even in the daytime.

2. The crime rate in the University District has skyrocketed in the past couple of years, many students are getting mugged/held up on the street for their phones, laptops, wallets, purses. So many students walk around tuned out listening to iPods or using their phones, it is very easy for someone to approach them before they even realize what is going on. Happens weekly, even in broad daylight.

3. I don’t know if the sighting of her at the International District bus station on Saturday evening has been verified, but that area is very unsafe, especially after dark. Lots of drugs/gang activity going on down there.

4. When she first disappeared, it was mentioned that she was taking antidepressants but family/friends said she was a happy person and wouldn’t have left on her own. Today her family released a statement saying she was on antidepressants and they are worried about her state of mind. Why the change? Did they find out something that indicated she was unhappy recently?

I am hoping the police are able to access her cell phone data and figure out where her cell phone last pinged at.

SassyBenton, :wagon: !!

It's wonderful to have you here. Great first post.

I agree about the areas in how you have described it. Especially the Safeway that she went to- not the best place to go. I too worry about her possibly having headphones on as a lot of students do and not knowing the possible danger lurking near. I hope LE has checked all around there in dumpsters/garbage cans for her backpack.

SassyBenton, :wagon: !!

It's wonderful to have you here. Great first post.

I agree about the areas in how you have described it. Especially the Safeway that she went to- not the best place to go. I too worry about her possibly having headphones on as a lot of students do and not knowing the possible danger lurking near. I hope LE has checked all around there in dumpsters/garbage cans for her backpack.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been a big fan of this site for awhile now, glad to be able to give some input. That Safeway and Jack in the Box right next to it really give me the creeps. I ride the bus past there every day and there is always a group of rather unsavory looking types hanging out in the parking lot, either selling or looking to score drugs. I have also witnessed a couple of fights there as well. I could see an innocent person strolling by with headphones on and possibly being followed by one or more of these people.

On the Facebook page made for her someone asked if the police/family knew what she purchased at the Safeway. Someone speaking on behalf of the family said they did know but did not want to disclose that information right now. Why? What could she have bought that they don't want the public to know about?

She isn't old enough to buy liquor, if Safeway sells it. I can't imagine what she would buy that the family would not want known.

I imagine that whatever she bought may only be known to someone who harmed her and LE/Family......so LE would obviously want to keep that close to the vest if they believe someone has harmed her.

I find it odd that this is the only surveillence video of her from that night. Wouldn't the University district have more cameras? Wouldn't the train station area? This is Seattle, not some small town....plus, if the area had experienced more crime over recent years, all the more reason they might have cameras.

I may have missed it, but has LE verified that Marizela's bank account has been inactive since March 5th? I've got to think that if this were some random drug addict at a Safeway, he would have tried to use her bank card, sell her phone, etc.

Just checking for updates, Michelle Malkin was on Fox news this morning and the hosts asked her about her cousin and gave her time to get the word out nationally, so that will hopefully help.

jmo

Police Step Up Search for Missing Washington College Woman

Police in Washington are stepping up their search for a missing college student who disappeared almost two weeks ago after leaving a Seattle grocery store.

Family members said that the young woman was taking anti-depressants at the time of her disappearance and is "in a vulnerable state of mind."

"We are concerned about Marizela’s safety, health, and well-being," the family said.

Marizela1.JPG

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/10/police-step-search-missing-washington-college-woman/

She is so adorable..... come home Marizela...

Nothing new coming out, I really hope the police/family have more info that they are withholding, if not, this isn’t looking good. Still waiting to hear if they were able to get pings off her cell phone. Please come home safely Marizela!

I take that last post back. I am starting to think more and more that this is a runaway case, not an abduction. :waitasec:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014525632_missingstudent18m.html

Very interesting. Article says she took her laptop when she disappeared, and family saw her on her AOL account last night.

I hope it was her. And not someone else. If someone did harm her, she may have had her password saved, or set to automatically log in. But I hope she is okay.

I agree with others commenting on this article. AOL signs you on automatically. I think someone used the laptop.....and didn't realize they auto-logged-in to AOL.

I also think that it was REALLY bad to release that info....especially without a search warrant in hand. They should have kept that info secret so that they could privately investigate all of the computer activity without the person (Marizela or her kidnapper) knowing.

I was somewhat encouraged when I first saw this news. But, I feel it's more likely it was someone who may have been using her computer or at least her account.

OTOH, as someone in the comments section observed on that article, who do you know that could survive on $40 over two weeks? That's the amount of her bank withdrawal the day she disappeared.

I don't know what to think at this point. I just hope Marizela is found safe and sound.

JMHO
fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48