WA WA - Nancy Moyer, 36, Tenino, 6 March 2009

CrowdSolve, which is sponsored by Oxygen, announced on Wednesday the two cases that will be the focus of the Seattle event: The unsolved murder of Karen Bodine, and the disappearance and presumed murder of Nancy Moyer.
upload_2019-9-15_11-49-45.jpeg
Nancy Moyer, a 36-year-old mother of two from Tenino, Washington, vanished without a trace on March 6, 2009. She was last seen after leaving her longtime job at the Washington State Department of Ecology, when she drove a co-worker home and stopped at a store before, presumably, returning home herself. But it was three days before she was reported missing, as her daughters were with Moyer’s estranged husband at the time, and he did not discover she was missing until he dropped the girls at her house. There was no sign of Nancy, but her car, purse, and wallet were all there; and the television had been left on.

Despite a thorough investigation by the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, there were no arrests and no solid leads until just this summer, after the “Hide and Seek” podcast brought renewed attention to the case and CrowdSolve announced the upcoming event. On July 9, Eric Lee Roberts, Moyer’s former neighbor and co-worker, called 911 and confessed to the murder, saying that he had killed Moyer 10 years ago when he strangled her during “rough sex.” But once investigators began searching his home, Roberts recanted his confession, claiming he had nothing to do with Moyer’s disappearance and didn’t know why he admitted to killing her. Charges have since been dropped, but investigators reportedly obtained possible evidence during a search of Roberts’ home.

Balfe told us that the Thurston County Sheriff’s office will provide CrowdSolve attendees full access to both Bodine’s and Moyer’s case files.
Can true crime fans finally crack these cold case mysteries? Investigators team up with CrowdSolve attendees to find new leads in Karen Bodine murder and missing Nancy Moyer case

Last edited:
I hope more podcasts like the phenomenally excellent "Hide and Seek" Hide and Seek appear on the scene. My main concern with such podcasts which make case file evidence and/or interviews public is that such exposure might be used by defense lawyers to claim it could prejudice a judge and/or jury. How do we defend against such an argument?

Hello.

I’m completely new to the whole WebSleuths thing, but think it’s pretty amazing. I will be going to the CrimeSolve event next month in Seattle and so I am trying to find as much information as I can in regards to both featured cases. I am currently attempting to go through this entire post, but it’s definitely a little overwhelming since you all have done an amazing job and there are currently 36 pages of comments to go through, along with links. I’ll eventually go through as much as I can, but I figured maybe I should just ask a couple things and see what kind of response I could get.

Mainly I’m just wondering, what are the most important details I need to know about Nancy’s disappearance? What are some of the questions that have never really been answered in regards to certain suspects, situations she was involved in, etc? In your opinion, what questions do I need to make sure are asked or answered sufficiently? I noticed that, at least early on, there were some locals commenting on this post.....so what were some of the most popular theories from locals? Were there any prominent rumors?

I’ve never done anything like this, but I truly hope that this family can be helped with something that comes out of next month. Whether it’s a conclusion from the man who recently confessed and recanted, or something else that comes to light. I think after ten years, they deserve answers. So anything that anyone thinks might be beneficial for me to know going into this, I’m all ears.

Thank you.

- Logan

Now Eric is denying everything

The Sit Down With Eric
I've listened to this four times now. For f's sake the man's monotone self-centered demeanor rarely varies.
What I did NOT hear in that voice was actual sympathy for Nancy or her fam/friends.
Creepy or medicated or what. So he & his deceased-by-suicide bff have conveniently pointed the finger at eachother, perhaps they did it TOGETHER. anyone know if the bff was looked at by LE? Truly engaging podcast btw. @Fenix_333 the series is worth a listen if you haven't yet. Warm welcome to WS too!

Hello.

I’m completely new to the whole WebSleuths thing, but think it’s pretty amazing. I will be going to the CrimeSolve event next month in Seattle and so I am trying to find as much information as I can in regards to both featured cases. I am currently attempting to go through this entire post, but it’s definitely a little overwhelming since you all have done an amazing job and there are currently 36 pages of comments to go through, along with links. I’ll eventually go through as much as I can, but I figured maybe I should just ask a couple things and see what kind of response I could get.

Mainly I’m just wondering, what are the most important details I need to know about Nancy’s disappearance? What are some of the questions that have never really been answered in regards to certain suspects, situations she was involved in, etc? In your opinion, what questions do I need to make sure are asked or answered sufficiently? I noticed that, at least early on, there were some locals commenting on this post.....so what were some of the most popular theories from locals? Were there any prominent rumors?

I’ve never done anything like this, but I truly hope that this family can be helped with something that comes out of next month. Whether it’s a conclusion from the man who recently confessed and recanted, or something else that comes to light. I think after ten years, they deserve answers. So anything that anyone thinks might be beneficial for me to know going into this, I’m all ears.

Thank you.

- Logan

Welcome Logan! Sorry I didn't see this originally. I know it can be lengthy to go through everything - some cases here have 36 THREADS not just 36 pages. So relatively speaking Nancy's case is a less discussed one.

I think the CrimeSolve event came and went, but one of the questions I had or something I don't recall being resolved was the fingerprints on the wine glass. It appeared that there were fingerprints on a wine glass that Nancy left on the porch(?) (uhhh sorry my recall is a bit fuzzy) but were either found to be hers and someone else's or not identified. However if it was a neighbor or random attack so maybe it's not relevant.
As far as rumors/suspicions go, I think there were the usual "maybe ex-husband had something to do with it" but I think over time those subsided. There was someone nearby who had killed someone else, and he was a strong suspect but it doesn't seem to have panned out.

So glad to see interest in this case!

CrowdSolve, which is sponsored by Oxygen, announced on Wednesday the two cases that will be the focus of the Seattle event: The unsolved murder of Karen Bodine, and the disappearance and presumed murder of Nancy Moyer.
View attachment 204485
Nancy Moyer, a 36-year-old mother of two from Tenino, Washington, vanished without a trace on March 6, 2009. She was last seen after leaving her longtime job at the Washington State Department of Ecology, when she drove a co-worker home and stopped at a store before, presumably, returning home herself. But it was three days before she was reported missing, as her daughters were with Moyer’s estranged husband at the time, and he did not discover she was missing until he dropped the girls at her house. There was no sign of Nancy, but her car, purse, and wallet were all there; and the television had been left on.

Despite a thorough investigation by the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, there were no arrests and no solid leads until just this summer, after the “Hide and Seek” podcast brought renewed attention to the case and CrowdSolve announced the upcoming event. On July 9, Eric Lee Roberts, Moyer’s former neighbor and co-worker, called 911 and confessed to the murder, saying that he had killed Moyer 10 years ago when he strangled her during “rough sex.” But once investigators began searching his home, Roberts recanted his confession, claiming he had nothing to do with Moyer’s disappearance and didn’t know why he admitted to killing her. Charges have since been dropped, but investigators reportedly obtained possible evidence during a search of Roberts’ home.

Balfe told us that the Thurston County Sheriff’s office will provide CrowdSolve attendees full access to both Bodine’s and Moyer’s case files.
Can true crime fans finally crack these cold case mysteries? Investigators team up with CrowdSolve attendees to find new leads in Karen Bodine murder and missing Nancy Moyer case

Here is a report about this Crowd Sourcing event trying to solve the crimes mentioned above;

My Weekend as a Cold Case Sleuth | The Crime Report

NOV 22, 2019
Deputies: Man admits to killing mother of 2 in cold case, then recants
[…]

On Thursday, a judge in Thurston County still ordered Eric Lee Roberts held on $1.5 million bail for the death of Nancy Moyer, who was last seen in early May 2009. Her body was never found.

[…]

Roberts said he was pleasant with Moyer at work – they both were employed by the Department of Ecology – and that they’d sometimes leave and arrive from work around the same time. Roberts said she was never at his house.

In January 2014, a detective interviewed a former girlfriend of Roberts who said he was like Jekyll and Hyde when he drank alcohol and that he had “choked her out” at one point. In a separate incident, Roberts was arrested for domestic violence against her.

[…]

The girlfriend told deputies that during sex, Roberts would choke her to the point she’d have to rip his hands from her throat and scratch to make him stop.

[…]

An informant who was familiar with Roberts and his property told deputies that Roberts made an odd concrete structure on his property after Moyer’s disappearance. The informant did not think it looked to be for a tree house, as the informant was told.

[…]

The informant told deputies that Roberts claimed he had a sexual relationship with Moyer – something he denied to investigators in 2009.

[…]

On July 9, Roberts called a 911 dispatcher to confess to killing Moyer, deputies said.

“Roberts stated that he felt tired of holding it inside,” according to a probable cause document. “Eric stated that he was aware that it was a recorded line and was reluctant to give further details. He did say that he knew Nancy Moyer and that she was ‘gone.’”

[…]

A detective said Robert was visibly upset when the detective met with him. Court documents show that while standing on the front porch, Roberts admitted killing Moyer and leaving her “in the hills.” Roberts allegedly offered to provide a recorded statement, which they did in a sheriff’s office patrol vehicle.

... Deputies said he mentioned it possibly happened near the Chehalis River.

[…]

The recording was nearly 34 minutes.

Detectives continued talking without a recording, and at that point they said Roberts’ muscles seemed more relaxed. They said he changed his story to say he killed Moyer at his house.

Deputies said Moyer told them he accidentally strangled her during sex.

[…]

He just stood there, saying nothing initially. Then deputies said he pointed to the fire pit.

“I don’t really want to incriminate myself any further,” Roberts said, according to investigators, “but if I was going to get rid of a body on my property, it would be right there.”

Roberts told a detective he burned the scarf he strangled Moyer with because it disgusted him, but said the rest of her clothes were in his basement, according to the probable cause document. Deputies received a search warrant for Roberts’ property and used an excavator to dig into a wooded area.

[…]

The $1.5 million bail was set at Roberts’ Thursday afternoon bail hearing.

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back