GUILTY WA - Victor Vasquez, 68, & Hank Eisses, 49, murdered, Bellingham, 26 Aug 2005

During the hearing, Setter said an unidentified woman drove Mullen to and from the men's home. The prosecutor said Mullen told her he wanted to see a possible rental home, asked him to drop him off at the sex offenders' house and said he would call for a ride home.

Only later did she realize he may have killed them with her gun, which remains missing, Setter said. Investigators consider her a witness, he added.

The roommate said he left while the FBI impostor was still there and found the bodies when he returned about four hours later.

According to police, Mullen said he mailed a letter about the Bellingham killings to several news outlets last week. The Bellingham Herald, the daily newspaper in this college and mill town of about 71,000, reported Thursday that the letter threatened other sexual predators.

The letter read in part that the roommate was allowed to leave ''so he could get the message out to others of his kind that I am coming for him.''

Eisses, sentenced to 5½ years in prison in 1997 for raping a 13-year-old boy, was released from supervision about two years ago, said Kit Bail, a state Corrections Department field supervisor.

Vazquez was convicted in 1991 of molesting several relatives, according to court documents. He was released from prison about two years ago and remained under state supervision.

In a statement distributed by the Vazquez family at the hearing, Eve Vazquez of Spokane, one of her father's victims, wrote that she had reconciled with him three years ago.

''I worry that the community may feel as if my father's murderer is a social vigilante who is justified in his actions because of the mistakes my father made 17 years ago,'' she wrote. ''If anyone had the right to be angry with my father, it was me, his primary victim.''
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=7&id=25807

The man who has confessed to being a vigilante who gunned down two Level 3 sex offenders in Bellingham has written that he was molested as a child, according to police.

The claim is contained in letters believed to be written by Michael A. Mullen, said Bellingham police Lt. Craige Ambrose. The lieutenant did not provide additional details.

He did say, however, that Mullen also is believed to have written a number of Internet postings, including a confession to the slayings under the pseudonym "Agent Life," the same moniker used in letters sent to police and various media outlets since the Aug. 27 shooting deaths of Victor Vazquez, 68, and Hank Eisses, 49.

The Internet confession apparently was erased shortly after it was posted. However, a copy was posted on a Web log called The Dark Side (www.planethuff.com/darkside).
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...ication=rss&source=seattletimes.xml&items=140

mysteriew said:
The man who has confessed to being a vigilante who gunned down two Level 3 sex offenders in Bellingham has written that he was molested as a child, according to police.

The claim is contained in letters believed to be written by Michael A. Mullen, said Bellingham police Lt. Craige Ambrose. The lieutenant did not provide additional details.

He did say, however, that Mullen also is believed to have written a number of Internet postings, including a confession to the slayings under the pseudonym "Agent Life," the same moniker used in letters sent to police and various media outlets since the Aug. 27 shooting deaths of Victor Vazquez, 68, and Hank Eisses, 49.

The Internet confession apparently was erased shortly after it was posted. However, a copy was posted on a Web log called The Dark Side (www.planethuff.com/darkside).
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002479731_mullen08m.html?syndication=rss&source=seattletimes.xml&items=140
Yeah, the press guys weren't too pleased I think once they realized I'd ganked that dude's stuff days ahead of them. Not their fault, though -- I was going on solid deduction, and they need sturdier proof before they print stuff than that.

I can see where Mullen was coming from, but now he's going to give rope to those who would take the offender registries offline. I hope that doesn't happen.

Steve/Mr. A

A man who turned himself in and said he killed two convicted child rapists might have been motivated by a notorious case in Idaho in which two children were abducted in mid-May.

http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=79487

Any thoughts?!...

I live not to far from where this occurred. And within a 5 block radius of my house there are 28 registered sex offenders. No level 3's thankfully.
I also have 5 kids living here...
I say, that's two less child rapists I have to worry about.
I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.

Take a bunch of Xanax. Combine it with anti-depressants and sleeping pills. Douse liberally with alcohol. Add a life of disappointment and crime, of fear and betrayal and repeated victimization.

That, says Larry Mullen, is what led his brother, Michael, to kill two men he didn't know, both registered sex offenders who had been living quietly in Bellingham. "He was just a sweet kid," Larry Mullen said. "I just wish I had an answer."

Growing up in Whatcom County, the four Mullen kids had to sort of "fend for themselves," Larry Mullen recalled, because their parents worked so much running restaurants in Snohomish and Whatcom counties. Michael struggled, routinely wetting his bed.

"There were all the telltale signs" of sexual abuse, Larry said. It wasn't until years later that Michael revealed that he had been molested by a neighbor when he was in second or third grade. The molestation was never reported to authorities.

By eighth grade, he quit school and started drinking. He signed up for the Job Corps and got whisked off to Florida by one of the men there, only to be abandoned. Larry doesn't know exactly what happened in Florida, but he thinks Michael was victimized once again.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002482310_mullen09m.html

The man who confessed to killing two sex offenders will face two counts of aggravated first-degree murder and possibly the death penalty.
Michael Anthony Mullen, 35, who turned himself in to the Bellingham police Monday evening, was formally charged with the murders by the Whatcom County Prosecutor's Office Thursday afternoon.
The Prosecutor's Office must decide whether to seek the death penalty within 30 days of Mullen's Sept. 16 arraignment. The charges could also lead to life in prison without parole.
http://news.bellinghamherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050909/NEWS09/509090337

Mullen has told family members that he was a victim of childhood sex abuse. In a letter included with his court papers, he admitted that "Murder is not a solution," but prayed that "God will see my intentions were good."

That will be hard for state Rep. Al O'Brien, D-Mountlake Terrace, who worries that the killings will inspire other acts of vigilantism and give civil-rights groups reason to seek an end to citizen-notification laws.

O'Brien thinks it's wrong to list exact street addresses for registered sex offenders, but will fight any effort to stop listing them altogether.

"You have my word," O'Brien said. "I am going to put my foot down against any effort to change the law as it stands.

"It's important for communities to know who is amongst them, so they can protect their families."

In the next legislative session, O'Brien will help introduce a bill, similar to Florida's "Jessica's Law," that would require tougher sentences for first-time sex offenders and put an electronic-monitoring device on every sexual predator released into the community.

Monitoring "would be safer for the offenders," Hines said. "It would be more fair to those getting on with their lives."

While he condemns the Bellingham slayings, Hines is surprised there haven't been more. And like O'Brien, he doesn't think offenders' exact addresses should be made public ("It's just a time bomb," he said.)

Still, he let loose a thought: There are 19,000 sex offenders registered in Washington state. For two to be targeted "pales in comparison to the number of kids who have been raped."
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002486706_brodeur11m1.html

All I can say is that I've always stated if there was a career where you would hunt them down like they do their victims, I would take great joy in doing so and be first in line, and as long as there is not enough justice out there for these children, or no justice at all, maybe there will be and there are people out there that will get tired of our system and government not protecting these children. These pedophiles laugh at the penalties and will continue to terrorize children as long as they keep treating it in the matter they always have. I have always felt there are memorials and walls and such for those departed, I feel do we need a wall, representing all those children that have been victims to rape, abuse and murder? The wall would not even cover those that are alive that have been victims of rape and abuse and tragically it could probably circle the US alot of times. Does our government and system need to have records put before them of every child to have ever been victimized,or a memorial to even get the slightest understanding that they have failed their children beyond mental capacity and understanding??? If only they were so dedicated to keeping these predators off the streets as they are in finding the poor little pedophiles' killer (sarcasm).:mad: :slap: :banghead: :waitasec: :snooty:

The man who confessed to the execution-style slayings of two Bellingham sex offenders says he didn't kill a third man that day because he expressed remorse for his crimes.

Besides, Michael A. Mullen wrote in a letter to The Seattle Times, "... I wanted one alive to spread the message that 'we' will not tolerate 'our' children being used and abused."

Whatcom County prosecutor Mac Setter said Mullen's references to his victims' lack of remorse as a reason for killing them was just self-serving justification. He said Mullen planned to kill the men all along.

Mullen writes he killed Victor Vazquez, 68, and Hank Eisses, 49, because they "blammed [sic] their victims — they showed NO remorse."

Mullen, 35, a longtime petty criminal with a history of drug and alcohol abuse, reiterated his plan to seek execution as soon as possible so that he can wait in the afterlife to wreak vengeance on the man whose crimes he said drove him to kill: Joseph Edward Duncan III.

"My goal is to beat J. Duncan to death, so I can be there when he arrives," he wrote in the four-page letter in neat longhand sent from Whatcom County Jail.

Setter, chief criminal deputy prosecutor for Whatcom County, said yesterday the version of events Mullen outlines in his letter is consistent with statements he has made to investigators.

Mullen has refused to have the court appoint a lawyer for him. The public defender who has been appointed as standby counsel, Richard Fasy, said he was "not surprised" Mullen had written the letter and again confessed to the crimes.

"All I can say is that he is not that bad of a guy in some respects," Fasy said.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002495887_mullen15m.html

A man charged with two counts of aggravated first-degree murder in the killings of two registered sex offenders pleaded not guilty Friday in Whatcom County Superior Court, the prosecutor's office said.

Michael A. Mullen, 35, who had said at his initial hearing 10 days earlier that he wanted to plead guilty, was arraigned before court Commissioner Alfred Heydrich. Mullen has also changed his mind about legal representation, originally saying he wanted to represent himself. As of Friday morning, public defender Richard Fasey was officially working as Mullen's lawyer.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/39256.htm

Confessed murderer of sex offenders said Duncan's crimes drove him to kill

The man who confessed to killing two Bellingham sex offenders says he wants to be executed as soon as possible so he can wait in the afterlife to wreak vengeance on the man whose crimes he said drove him to kill: Joseph Edward Duncan III. In a four-page letter written from the Whatcom County Jail to the Seattle Times, Michael A. Mullen said, "my goal is to beat Joseph Duncan to death (the afterlife), so I can be there when he arrives." Mullen added that he spared the life of a third sex offender because that person showed remorse for his crime, unlike the two that he killed. " I wanted one (person) alive to spread the message that 'we' will not tolerate 'our' children being used and abused." Duncan faces possible execution in Idaho for allegedly slaying three members of a Coeur d'Alene family so that he could kidnap two children for sex. The awful details of those crimes, Mullen wrote, drove him to commit the crimes he's accused of.

"It made me sick to think of the abuse Dylan suffered before he died. To be discarded like garbage," Mullen wrote. Mullen allegedly used a county sheriff's Sex Offender Notification Web site to create a hit list of Level 3 offenders in Whatcom County. According to prosecutors' charging papers, Mullen - posing as an off-duty FBI agent - went to a Bellingham home shared by the three convicted sex offenders on the evening of Aug. 26.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9354613/

Excellent, excellent; I am all in favor of having every one of his cellmates be child sex abusers!!! This man has a calling.:clap:

The man charged with killing two sex offenders pleaded not guilty Friday morning in Whatcom County Superior Court, even though he previously said he was guilty.
Michael Anthony Mullen, 35, who sat crying in the jury box, said he wanted public defender Richard Fasey to represent him and file a not guilty plea.
During his initial court appearance last week, Mullen said he wanted to represent himself and plead guilty. He also acknowledged his guilt in several letters to various media outlets.
"I assumed this would come at some point," said Mac Setter, chief criminal deputy with the Whatcom County Prosecutor's Office, referring to Mullen's latest decision.
Even though Mullen has now entered a not guilty plea, Setter said he is "confident the statements he made will be admissible in court." A judge will rule on that during later court appearances.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050917/NEWS09/509170345

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280
Back