Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from an MSM newscast, screenshotted.

Did anyone notice it looks like a cat on the blue chair? That's one brave cat to be in that very active bedroom!

Now, what if the cat climbed on WM and moved something?

upload_2018-6-14_18-58-1.png snipped From photo in quote

This is just a petty stupid thought I am having. Considering that it is obvious that a sooty stain was on the pillow WM's head was on and that GSR was found on WM's right hand, but not his left hand which is supposed to be what he shot himself with, and considering that the defence would have had all of the disclosure from the Crown and a list of witnesses, including the reconstructurist..... RP would've had a pretty dang good idea what that reconstructurist might say on the stand. For him to ask for next day, is there any chance he just wants to be a *advertiser censored* disturber and make the Crown have to pay for an extra day of expert witness?

Maybe he wants to confer with DM--since DM would know what should be asked since he was there.

If you get called and are chosen, you usually have no choice whether or not you serve on a jury. (They will make exceptions for trials that are expected to be lengthy or have very gruesome evidence. As well, they will make exceptions for nursing moms, caregivers of people with disabilities or caregivers of elderly people. A few professions like lawyers are automatically exempt.) However, for most people, you usually have no say in whether or not you serve on a jury and are legally obiligated to serve.

I've served on one trial that had no media attention. I spent one week waiting to be chosen from the jury panel (you have to be there for that, all day) and 4 days on the trial. My trial was relatively simple and we had no disagreements about the verdict (we were released without having to be sequestered after 4 hours of deliberation.) My husband served on 2 juries (neither had media attention)- he was only sequestered one night in a hotel for one trial. BTW, if you get called in the summer, the time you serve will sometimes be shorter as there are fewer
Following these trials and now this one with the gruesome pictures even following on the internet is difficult.
Also listening to all the experts which can be complicated to follow.
I really understand why some jurors have to have counseling if the case is to do with a child etc. it would be very hard to take.
Even how hard it was to follow these trials I was very happy when justice was served and it can never undo for the families of the victims losing a loved one to a homicide, but hopefully gave them some peace to know justice was served.

Thank you deugirtni. Anyone else think that blue and white object on the bed next to WM's feet might be a sleep mask?

Hard to tell exactly how WM's body was positioned in that particular image, but I'm not seeing where a hand or arm might be extended out over the edge of the mattress for the gun to drop atop that LuLu Lemon bag.

ETA: If the gun dropped on that bag, that would have to mean that WM's left hand would have been above the bag, which IMO would indicate there was not enough space between the dresser and the mattress for his arm and hand to be fully extended beyond the mattress. Am I making any sense?

If I’m looking at the same, the blue and white quilted thing with the navy colour edging looks just like a neatly folded up washable medical mattress pad, the kind of thing men with prostrate issues might use to protect the bed. The size is usually about 3 feet square.

If I’m looking at the same, the blue and white thing with the navy colour edging looks just like a neatly folded up washable medical mattress pad, the kind of thing men with prostrate issues might use to protect the bed. The size is usually about 3 feet square.

Exactly!! That is what it is! I should have recognized that from my hospital stay. The nurses have a name for them but that name escapes me now. They would put a fresh one down when it got soiled so they didn't have to change the bedding so often (unless it was really bad and needed changing).

Yes true, I can't remember if there was that type of screening when I was a juror, however I do remember all jurors being asked a list of general questions, one being occupation. Wouldn't all trials need to know if there was any reason why a juror wouldn't be able to be impartial to a case though, and so wouldn't they ask that for all trials? ie if I was a potential juror at a rape case and I had been raped when I was young, I may not make such a great juror. Do they leave such discretion up to the individual jurors in low profile cases? I would have thought they would ask everyone that question, in addition to what their occupations are, etc.? Anyone?

Sorry Websleuths is acting up for me.

Not in any no media coverage trial I know of locally (in Toronto) unless it has changed recently. They seem to leave it up to the potential juror entirely. BTW, the trial I was on, they had to pick a a second jury (the one I served on was the 2nd) because earlier that day, a juror failed to mention that their child had dated the defense attorney's assistant. (They go through the potential jurors quite quickly and don't ask.) Fortunately, this fact came out early enough it didn't cause a mistrial and they just picked a new jury.

BTW, I agree with you. They should ask but I don't know if it's a time issue. Edited to correct: I checked online and I found someone describing their experiences at the same courthouse (University Ave, Toronto) who served more recently than me (1 year ago). They said after the panel went down to the courtroom, they were told the names of the plantiff and accused and realted witnesses then as a panel, they were asked several questions: if they knew any of this people in any fashion? Can you speak English? Are you a Canadian citizen? Do you have any past criminal offenses? Are you a full time student?

For picking a jury, all that happened was our panel (they were several panels, each about 60 people or so) went down to the courtroom. They pulled a name out from the drum, read it out, we stood up and came to the front, they read out our age & occupation. We were then told "juror look upon the accused, accused look upon the juror" and then the crown and then defense said "accept" or "challenge" (there were only so many challenges.) (The defense could also defer a number of potential jurors (not the correct term) but they only had to reconsider these jurors if they went through the whole panel first.) If you don't get picked, you go back to the jury panel room and wait until your panel is called to the courtroom again. Some people never get picked in the entire 2 weeks (the usual length of time here but during the summer, one of my husband's panels only had to be there for 4 days as there were fewer trials in the summer -I don't know if this is still the case). edited to add: the more recent jury panelist said they were required to be there only 1 week, I don't know if this was in the summer.

It is not easy to get an exemption from serving, we were told (and other people I know have been told), we had to have a very good reason and it had to be approved, otherwise we'd be fined if we didn't show up until we were told we were formally excused. Sometimes they will defer your summons for a jury panel (call you at a later date). This happened to my late father-in-law, every time, he was called for jury duty, he was out of the country. He never did serve.

My husband was able to not serve on his 3rd jury call because it was expected to be 9 months or more (police corruption). Jurors were asked if it would be a financial hardship (juror pay increases over time but is very low). He told them we'd be unable to pay our mortgage or buy food so he was released.

Personally, I would not serve on a case with graphic evidence, especially photos. I would come with a letter from my doctor referring to my history of diagnosed anxiety and depression stating that this type of evidence would be detrimental to me. (The case I served on although sexual assault, didn't have much graphic evidence.) If you believe you have a reason for being excused or deferred, it is best to bring physical evidence (ie doctor's note, reservations for vacation etc.)

Even when there isn't the issue of graphic evidence, it is tiring being on a jury. You are expected to sit and listen and never get the chance to say anything at all (except in the jury room, outside of the court). In the jury room, you are not supposed to talk about the evidence until it is time for deliberation so you end up making up small talk until deliberation. They bring your meals (box lunches) once you are deliberating (and you go to a hotel if you haven't reach a verdict at the end of the day. (They usually ask if you are near reaching a verdict so they know if to order meals/get the hotel ready. They ask you to bring several changes of clothes on the anticipated day the defense finishes their case.)

Last edited:
Dec 3 - Millard texts Smich: "Tomorrow I start firing people." Bosma Day 36: Harrison testimony

Dec 3 - Millard texts Smich: "Yea organizing a funeral and the layoff of 15 employees...

Tough talk when one of the employees on the stand seemed to indicate that his mother and the "family lawyer" took care of that while he was sniveling behind her.

MOO

Did anyone notice it looks like a cat on the blue chair? That's one brave cat to be in that very active bedroom!

Now, what if the cat climbed on WM and moved something?

View attachment 136231 snipped From photo in quote

I do not think that is a cat. No cat would stay on a chair in that room with all the emergency personnel that traipsed through there before that photo was taken.

MOO

It seems like most people are willing to do their civic duty and become a juror in a trial if so asked... however, it really is super easy to not be a juror if one really doesn't want to. Health issues, financial issues of missing work, stay-at-home-moms of young kids, will all be excused if asked.. and one can always say 'no' that they would NOT be able to be impartial, for whatever reason.. a few were understandably not chosen at the TB trial for that reason.

I wouldn't say it is "super easy" to get off. I was called for the jury audition the Badgerow trial. High profile. We could plead our case about needing to be off due to work and income but the judge refused to offer that to many individuals who told their reasons. He scolded often. Made people stay in the pool. Most didn't have to serve in the end because they'd already chosen out of the first four groups and there were about 10 groups.

I wouldn't say it is "super easy" to get off. I was called for the jury audition the Badgerow trial. High profile. We could plead our case about needing to be off due to work and income but the judge refused to offer that to many individuals who told their reasons. He scolded often. Made people stay in the pool. Most didn't have to serve in the end because they'd already chosen out of the first four groups and there were about 10 groups.
Didn't the Crown and Defense get to ask you questions? ie are you familiar with the Badgerow case/trials? Are you able to be objective? etc?

DM had plenty of assets of his own. Well he did, until he transferred some of them to his mother. But he still has assets.

MOO
Or.. he did until he paid who knows how many millions on lawyers (for himself, his mom, his gf, etc?)... jmo

Yes true, I can't remember if there was that type of screening when I was a juror, however I do remember all jurors being asked a list of general questions, one being occupation. Wouldn't all trials need to know if there was any reason why a juror wouldn't be able to be impartial to a case though, and so wouldn't they ask that for all trials? ie if I was a potential juror at a rape case and I had been raped when I was young, I may not make such a great juror. Do they leave such discretion up to the individual jurors in low profile cases? I would have thought they would ask everyone that question, in addition to what their occupations are, etc.? Anyone?

My experience with the Badgerow case is your occupation I think was already reported on a jury info page you filled out. The instructions weren't completely clear to me, but I fumbled through. After several hours waiting, Our group was called and taken into the court room. We were told we were going in for voir dire. Once in there if you had an issue to present to the judge you stepped out of your group line and formed another line in front of the microphone. One by one you told your number and the reason you felt you couldn't serve. Others with no issues waited to the side in the group line. Right on the spot after speaking, the judge would tell you if you were excused or not.

Sorry Websleuths is acting up for me.

Not in any no media coverage trial I know of locally (in Toronto) unless it has changed recently. They seem to leave it up to the potential juror entirely. BTW, the trial I was on, they had to pick a a second jury (the one I served on was the 2nd) because earlier that day, a juror failed to mention that their child had dated the defense attorney's assistant. (They go through the potential jurors quite quickly and don't ask.) Fortunately, this fact came out early enough it didn't cause a mistrial and they just picked a new jury.

BTW, I agree with you. They should ask but I don't know if it's a time issue.

For picking a jury, all that happened was our panel (they were several panels, each about 60 people or so) went down to the courtroom. They pulled a name out from the drum, read it out, we stood up and came to the front, they read out our age & occupation. We were then told "juror look upon the accused, accused look upon the juror" and then the crown and then defense said "accept" or "challenge" (there were only so many challenges.) (The defense could also defer a number of potential jurors (not the correct term) but they only had to reconsider these jurors if they went through the whole panel first.) If you don't get picked, you go back to the jury panel room and wait until your panel is called to the courtroom again. Some people never get picked in the entire 2 weeks (the usual length of time here but during the summer, one of my husband's panels only had to be there for 4 days as there were fewer trials in the summer -I don't know if this is still the case).

It is not easy to get an exemption from serving, we were told (and other people I know have been told), we had to have a very good reason and it had to be approved, otherwise we'd be fined if we didn't show up until we were told we were formally excused.

My husband was able to not serve on his 3rd jury call because it was expected to be 9 months or more (police corruption). Jurors were asked if it would be a financial hardship (juror pay increases over time but is very low). He told them we'd be unable to pay our mortgage or buy food so he was released.

Personally, I would not serve on a case with graphic evidence, especially photos. I would come with a letter from my doctor referring to my history of diagnosed anxiety and depression stating that this type of evidence would be detrimental to me. (The case I served on although sexual assault, didn't have much graphic evidence.)

Even when there isn't the issue of graphic evidence, it is tiring being on a jury. You are expected to sit and listen and never get the chance to say anything at all (except in the jury room, outside of the court). In the jury room, you are not supposed to talk about the evidence until it is time for deliberation so you end up making up small talk until deliberation. They bring your meals (box lunches) once you are deliberating (and you go to a hotel if you haven't reach a verdict at the end of the day. (They usually ask if you are near reaching a verdict so they know if to order meals/get the hotel ready. They ask you to bring several changes of clothes on the anticipated day the defense finishes their case.)
I doubt if it is a time issue, because they are already asking each juror what his/her occupation is, maybe other questions too, I can't remember (on a low profile trial), so one or two more questions that are really important wouldn't take much more time?

Thank you deugirtni. Anyone else think that blue and white object on the bed next to WM's feet might be a sleep mask?

I thought that at first but after adding clarity to the photo on my computer, I see it is a folded blanket or heating pad or something IMO upload_2018-6-14_20-7-2.png (I don't have the MSM link for the photo. This was from Deugritni's post)

If I’m looking at the same, the blue and white quilted thing with the navy colour edging looks just like a neatly folded up washable medical mattress pad, the kind of thing men with prostrate issues might use to protect the bed. The size is usually about 3 feet square.
I noticed in another photo that there was a covering on a chair in his room (I think his office though).

ETA Same photo of WM dead on the bed - there is a pink towel on a chair in that bedroom. For him, or for the cats?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member