Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason almost everyone who has problems are using an Apple product and Safari. Before you jump on me and say you are having problems and are not using Apple or Safari I understand. Not everyone having these problems are using Apple products but I would guess the majority of people are using Apple.

Why is Apple a problem? I have no idea. Apple claims it is the forum but there is nothing we can find on the forum to cause problems with Apple.

Not everyone using Apple has a problem on Websleuths. What does that mean? It could mean several things but what has been suggested to me is there is something on your personal Apple product that is causing the problem on this forum. It is something that is not on all Apple products.

In fact, since we have moved I have heard from many Apple users that their problems have completely stopped.

This makes the problems very confusing. If anyone has any suggestions about Apple products please jump in and post. We would love to hear from you.
My guess is it has to do with the ads. Before the ads started, this site was running smoothly on my iPhone. I also tested using a blocker (no issues once it‘s activated).

Maybe some of the ads containing JavaScript causing these issues? Also, if an advertiser has encoded a video or graphic in Flash only (vs. dual-encoded, Flash for desktops and HTML5 for Apple devices), Safari will often produce the "A problem occurred with this webpage..." message.

A dear friend is helping me organize our thoughts on this thread. I will be discussing with Dave about ticket system where you can report directly to him. You would have to include all your basic information including but not limited to the following:
What operating system you are using
Where you were exactly on the forum when you experienced the problem
What time did the problem happen
What anti-virus program are you running
This is just an idea of what might be required if you actually put in a ticket.

My guess is it has to do with the ads. Before the ads started, this site was running smoothly on my iPhone. I also tested using a blocker (no issues once it‘s activated).

Maybe some of the ads containing JavaScript causing these issues? Also, if an advertiser has encoded a video or graphic in Flash only (vs. dual-encoded, Flash for desktops and HTML5 for Apple devices), Safari will often produce the "A problem occurred with this webpage..." message.
Cybervampira you could be correct.

One other major issue you should be aware of and that is the "cookie" issue.

If you have decided not to allow a cookie to be placed on your computer you will more than likely see links that will not work for you. I believe if you refuse the cookie you do not properly see our Websleuths Facebook page is one thing that goes wrong.

If you are having trouble with something try changing your settings to allow a cookie when you are on Websleuths. This may clear up everything.

I will also ask Dave to give us instructions on how to change your preference for your cookie. If anyone knows how to do this feel free to jump in.

For some reason almost everyone who has problems are using an Apple product and Safari. Before you jump on me and say you are having problems and are not using Apple or Safari I understand. Not everyone having these problems are using Apple products but I would guess the majority of people are using Apple.

Why is Apple a problem? I have no idea. Apple claims it is the forum but there is nothing we can find on the forum to cause problems with Apple.

Not everyone using Apple has a problem on Websleuths. What does that mean? It could mean several things but what has been suggested to me is there is something on your personal Apple product that is causing the problem on this forum. It is something that is not on all Apple products.

In fact, since we have moved I have heard from many Apple users that their problems have completely stopped.

This makes the problems very confusing. If anyone has any suggestions about Apple products please jump in and post. We would love to hear from you.

I'm not using either of those products. It's not what we are using because we didn't have these problems before.

I always accept cookies so it isnt that either.

You have not listed the text lag and being chucked off especially when in the middle of a post.

Eta . It chucked me off as soon as I had posted this.

Last edited:
Ive tried 3 times to type this. Its been horrible the past couple days. Redirecting me. Site unresponsive. Shutting down. Text lag. Im on samsung phone. Not happening on any other site. Its maddening. Im gonna do a clean but its the site.

Eta i shouldve out this in the 'is anyone freezing up' thread.

Last edited:
Have you considered, from a usability standpoint, simplifying the site at all? The sheer amount of text, sidebar, links, and ads completely overwhelms the content.

As a small example, is it necessary in each thread, for you to provide a section for “websleuths birthdays” that loads 15 icons, most of them question marks.

The ratio of extras to actual content is very high, probably more than any other site I visit. It’s not Apple devices that’s the problem. This site is overly clogged.

Have you considered, from a usability standpoint, simplifying the site at all? The sheer amount of text, sidebar, links, and ads completely overwhelms the content.

As a small example, is it necessary in each thread, for you to provide a section for “websleuths birthdays” that loads 15 icons, most of them question marks.

The ratio of extras to actual content is very high, probably more than any other site I visit. It’s not Apple devices that’s the problem. This site is overly clogged.
Amen to this! I even went and cleared all my history and cookies yet this site is still slower than heck lately. People have been complaining about it on threads instead of coming here to complain so it’s not only a handful of us having these issues.

I downloaded a content blocker. It seems to have done the trick. Havent been slow or kicked off & no txt lag.
I may have to try that after I figure out what a content blocker is.

I'm ususally on Apple devices using Safari and the only thing that helps me is turning off Java Script. This isn't ideal because you are unable to see some links, so it's a matter of turning if off and on, off and on.

I recently started getting constant pop ups saying Websleuths wants to use my location. The only thing that has stopped this is turning off Location Services.

Please share if you have suggestions on how to get Apple products to work better with Websleuths.

I'm ususally on Apple devices using Safari and the only thing that helps me is turning off Java Script. This isn't ideal because you are unable to see some links, so it's a matter of turning if off and on, off and on.

I recently started getting constant pop ups saying Websleuths wants to use my location. The only thing that has stopped this is turning off Location Services.

Please share if you have suggestions on how to get Apple products to work better with Websleuths.
Glad I’m on the only one getting that pop up about using my location. I was told that it could be spyware so I contacted Apple support and was told we don’t have spyware on our products unless we jailbreak them which I haven’t yet I keep getting that pop up about wanting to use my location. As someone else already mentioned above, there is just too many extras like ads on the page which take forever to load. I guess I’ll have to turn off java also. What a mess.

Glad I’m on the only one getting that pop up about using my location. I was told that it could be spyware so I contacted Apple support and was told we don’t have spyware on our products unless we jailbreak them which I haven’t yet I keep getting that pop up about wanting to use my location. As someone else already mentioned above, there is just too many extras like ads on the page which take forever to load. I guess I’ll have to turn off java also. What a mess.

Safari (iPhone /iOS)
On iOS devices, location settings are more strictly managed by the operating system. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Find the setting for Safari Websites and set it to "Never."

Stop Those Annoying Browser Prompts Asking for Your Location or to Send Notifications

OK, I am embarrassed to admit that I am on an iPad and iPhone and have a greatly improved performance on new WS. I had many of your troubles; now it is near perfect. I did not change any settings. Really I do not know that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500