Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not necessarily a problem but this past weekend whenever I open this forum, a pop up appears asking me to let the page use my location. I know this occurs on other sites but I never had this forum ask me that before. Is this something new or could it be the ads that are trying to get my location?

Edited to add a screenshot as it just happened to me again.
82A4BE64-27E3-48A4-A351-E1BAAF1EF20D.png

Last edited:
Those issues include trying to actually get on the forum but it just spins right? What else do you experience?
I have been getting the following message intermittently, on and off, for some time now but it got worse On Saturday evening around 7:00 pm EST;

"Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

I get this after being logged in - I'll be posting or trying to 'like' a post and nothing happens so I refresh the page, only to get the Service Unavailable message.

Sometimes, I'm able to log back in after a minute or two. Other times, I have to wait much longer to log back in.

When I am logged in, quite often, some threads/pages continuously load. If this is happening for others, I'd imagine it's putting a strain on the server(s).

As @matou mentioned above, there weren't that many members logged in, nor guests and robots utilizing the forum at the time.

Other times, as others have posted, when trying to 'like' a post, I'll just get the little black bar (top right-hand corner of the screen) continuously running. It's trying to process the task but generally fails to do so. Sometimes, I get booted out, other times, not....but the forum is slow to respond or lags.

Again, this is happening for me on my desktop using Win 7 and the Chrome browser.

I have been getting the following message intermittently, on and off, for some time now but it got worse On Saturday evening around 7:00 pm EST;

"Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

I get this after being logged in - I'll be posting or trying to 'like' a post and nothing happens so I refresh the page, only to get the Service Unavailable message.

Sometimes, I'm able to log back in after a minute or two. Other times, I have to wait much longer to log back in.

When I am logged in, quite often, some threads/pages continuously load. If this is happening for others, I'd imagine it's putting a strain on the server(s).

As @matou mentioned above, there weren't that many members logged in, nor guests and robots utilizing the forum at the time.

Other times, as others have posted, when trying to 'like' a post, I'll just get the little black bar (top right-hand corner of the screen) continuously running. It's trying to process the task but generally fails to do so. Sometimes, I get booted out, other times, not....but the forum is slow to respond or lags.

Again, this is happening for me on my desktop using Win 7 and the Chrome browser.
The same has been happening to me from the get go but especially this past weekend. It looks like the site goes down for a few minutes at a time. I’m on Safari on iPhone. I normally have to close out the page and wait a few minutes to log in again.

I am having problems every time I post - the connection is going down before I complete the post.

Extremely annoying and loading pages from WS history is extremely slow - it is quicker to load from my browser history. Messed up quotes are also common and text lag. All problems have been previously mentioned by me on here.

My problem is probably less maddening than some of the above, but today on my laptop when I click on a page here, often 30-45 seconds go by before either arriving - or in a few cases just hanging up, timing out, and having to refresh the page or abandon the site for a few minutes until "normalcy" returns. Rest of internet fine, no weather anywhere near.

Let me ask you what you are using to connect to Websleuths. Is it an iPad desktop, android, iPhone? Also what search engine are you using?

Please understand we are doing the best we can to fix the issues. I have a list together to go over with Dave tomorrow (Monday)

*You cannot always see when I am online.

*A lot of the work I actually do for Websleuths is done off the site.

* Because I haven't posted does not mean anything as far as what I am doing on the forum.

*My real life does get in the way of Websleuths from time to time. I have personal issues I need to handle which means sometimes I cannot spend the amount of time trying to get your answers as I would like.

I am discussing with Dave tomorrow (Monday) many of the issues you are talking about.

Tricia, fyi to clarify, on your above response quoting mine. My post originated from Member @1&2&3, post number 273. You asked ‘what I was using to connect’. I can’t answer it because im personally not having that issue. I was just responding to the posters comment ‘I’m sorry for being a complainer’ to let them know they weren’t alone in experiencing issues overall.

Im letting you know in this particular case in an effort to assist you in replying to the members specific posted issue.

My most recent post regarding issues I’m having is on How to find the latest post on threads? There are multiple pages that are not in any sequence or chronological order. Previously the lastest post was at the top, followed by the others in descending chronological order. This has decreased my time on the forum because it takes more time than I have to dig through pages of threads.

Hope this helps you. If it’s not clear let me know.

This is not necessarily a problem but this past weekend whenever I open this forum, a pop up appears asking me to let the page use my location. I know this occurs on other sites but I never had this forum ask me that before. Is this something new or could it be the ads that are trying to get my location?

View attachment 139614
That type of pop up does not come from Websleuths. It may even say "Websleuths would like to know your location" but it is not us. Somewhere this pop up was placed on your computer and pops up on this site. I don't know how it works so maybe someone with an understanding of this can explain it better than me.

Thanks,
Tricia

My problem is probably less maddening than some of the above, but today on my laptop when I click on a page here, often 30-45 seconds go by before either arriving - or in a few cases just hanging up, timing out, and having to refresh the page or abandon the site for a few minutes until "normalcy" returns. Rest of internet fine, no weather anywhere near.
Are you using an apple product?

My phone call with Dave was moved until tomorrow. I'll be coming back here later tonight, barring any urgent issues that need my attention immediately, and gathering info on any issues I may have missed.

Thanks,
Tricia

View attachment 139614
That's 'spyware'. Download CCleaner (free version is great) and run that.

“Let me ask you what you are using to connect to Websleuths. Is it an iPad desktop, android, iPhone? Also what search engine are you using?”

I am using an iPad and browser is Safari.

“Let me ask you what you are using to connect to Websleuths. Is it an iPad desktop, android, iPhone? Also what search engine are you using?”

I am using an iPad and browser is Safari.
For some reason almost everyone who has problems are using an Apple product and Safari. Before you jump on me and say you are having problems and are not using Apple or Safari I understand. Not everyone having these problems are using Apple products but I would guess the majority of people are using Apple.

Why is Apple a problem? I have no idea. Apple claims it is the forum but there is nothing we can find on the forum to cause problems with Apple.

Not everyone using Apple has a problem on Websleuths. What does that mean? It could mean several things but what has been suggested to me is there is something on your personal Apple product that is causing the problem on this forum. It is something that is not on all Apple products.

In fact, since we have moved I have heard from many Apple users that their problems have completely stopped.

This makes the problems very confusing. If anyone has any suggestions about Apple products please jump in and post. We would love to hear from you.

Not in any order of importance here is a list of things I am discussing with Dave later today:

*Make the "Conversations" a different color so people don't accidentally post on the forum when they think they are posting a conversation.

*Why are members experiencing pop-ups asking if Websleuths can see their location

* Why are people getting timed out or not able to get on the forum altogether. We might have some answers for you

*Why can't members see their points? Likes? Trophy points?

*Why are member's times messed up.

*How do we find the latest posts?

*How do members change their cookie preference?

*What do we tell members who use an a d b l o c k e r and this makes their problems go away?

Last edited:
N

*Why are member's times messed up.
Any info on how to find the most up to date post? The previous site had them listed in order according to the latest post. Here, as in other threads there are several pages, not in any particular order with only the start dates of each thread (February being the last). The ‘Deceased, Arrest, Found’ are also mixed together on some pages.
TIA
Good Deeds,
Can you please link to or take a screenshot of what you are describing? I think I understand what you are saying but I would rather have a screenshot just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther