What would the state like to show in opening arguments?

I think the state should be clear, concise, and lay out a solid timeline and explain the evidence which will be shown to support their theory of events. They should not show anything shocking or say anything shocking or mean or exaggerated because that will give JB a chance to say that they are being unfair and biased.

I do not think the state needs to do anything other than briefly explain the over view of the basic facts. Child was last seen with her mother on June 16th, no one has seen her since. On the evening of the 16th she went out on a date, without her child, and said she was at her nannys. Now we know there was no nanny, so where was her child that evening. She has never answered that question. etc. etc.

I do not think they need to emphasize the partying and drinking and tattooing during the opening statements. That will all come in soon enough. I think just the fact that she NEVER reported her missing, and when she was confronted, she lied and said her child was fine. I cannot wait to hear both sides opening arguments. Tuesday cannot get here soon enough.

There is an exceptional thread here regarding the sequence of events before during and after Caylee was found. This timeline is very helpful in examining whether or not JB, CA and GA were looking for and had knowledge of the remains and if they wanted to find the remains before LE so they could destroy them.

Like the timeline of the case as a whole, that period had so many events it was easy for me to get lost trying to figure out what happened, let alone what conclusions could be drawn from them. After reading that timeline I'm much closer to making a judgement that JB, CA and GA were aware of, were trying to find and wanted keep LE from finding Caylee's remains.

When I can clearly see the facts of this case, I feel more confident about the judgements I make. The jurors could be the same, therefore a timeline would be helpful to convict Casey since jurors might need that confidence if Casey is going to be executed or spend the rest of her life in jail.

I think the photos of Caylee's remains are in, just not for opening statements. They are sealed so we don't get any copies under Sunshine Law. They must be used to show she was found, where, how, and in what condition. We will not see them, the cameras will be asked to be off or turned away.

As far as what the State is adding, we will not know until then.

I doubt we will see photos of the remains (bones or at autopsy) although the jury might. I base this opinion on the many cases I've watched on tv.

OMG I hope they don't show them to the public, that, to me, would be an all time low for IS

They will not be shown to the public. Just the poor jurors.

The public in the court room in SPs case saw Laci's remains. I remember her cousin or some other family member running out (I couldn't look) but they were on screens.

In tony's deposition /doc

he says he went to NY.
While there Casey was at his apartment & had been using his truck/jeep.

I am looking for posts that mention a truck and color?
He admitted they had been to the house on HOPESPRING Drive twice.
Once with Caylee one without Caylee.

One was the day Casey got the gas cans from the back the other?

While Tony was in Ny for one week he had said he was
"joking" with her saying " I may have to stay in NY till I make some money
to get back' not a quote .....
something was said like that which I think would be a MOTIVE for murder.
He did say when he said that she cried and was worried about their
relationship.
Then I hope the state puts two and two together....

She woke up at least four times in a COLD SWEAT he asked her why , she said she was worried about their relationship.

Now....if this is not a motive....
what was?

Both the state and DT only have 7 minutes for their opening statements. You are not going to fit alot into those seven minutes. SA's will be jammed with facts, DT I would imagine will be fantasy. jmo

Both the state and DT only have 7 minutes for their opening statements. You are not going to fit alot into those seven minutes. SA's will be jammed with facts, DT I would imagine will be fantasy. jmo

It was my impression that HHJP was telling them when discussing these other issues he would address ,concerning the sequence of witnesses, that they would only have 7 minutes each, as his time was going to be limited and he was trying to fit them in on either Sunday, or early Monday. I don't think he was going to limit their opening statements to 7 minutes.

It was my impression that HHJP was telling them when discussing these other issues he would address ,concerning the sequence of witnesses, that they would only have 7 minutes each, as his time was going to be limited and he was trying to fit them in on either Sunday, or early Monday. I don't think he was going to limit their opening statements to 7 minutes.

HHJP said he was not at liberty to tell SA they had to disclose the sequence in which they would be calling their witnesses. I do not think it would be possible to limit say Dr. Vass to 7 minutes. My impression, and I could be wrong, was that their opening statements would be limited to 7 minutes each. I'll recheck the video when I have time today. jmo

I too think he meant they have 7 minutes each for any issues. I got the impression JB is whining to the SA wanting to know what exhibits they would use in their OS. Don't want anything making his client look bad, you know! He is trying to thwart the SA from using any exhibits.

Per the questions asked of HHJP yesterday at the conclusion of court. State indicated they had not entered a display or photograph into evidence yet, but would likely enter it into evidence. What do you think the display is of?

Excellent thread and thank you to Lambchop for posting that opening statements are limited to 7 minutes for each side. :)

As far as what will be shown, and who will see it, I'm not exactly sure. When I testified in a trial of a murdered 2-year-old, I couldn't see or hear anything until after I testified. I wanted to stay after that but had to get home to my daughter. However, when I was on the witness stand, the DA had a big projection screen of photos of the little girl. I couldn't see it as it was turned towards the spectators. There was no jury because the defendant opted for the judge to decide. The people in the courtroom were gasping at the photos. I found out later they were photos of the night she was killed, and autopsy photos. I had already seen the photos in the DA's office, and the little girl died in my house anyway (neighbor who did it brought her to me for help). I was a bit upset with the DA because he didn't tell me there would be a big outline/sketch of the defendant's house and my house. Because I didn't expect it, I froze for a few minutes and felt like I was back there.

I think the SA will tell the story of the 31 days. Of child missing, but not reported. Of a Mother on the run from Granny, having fun. Of a car that ran out of gas, of it being towed, and the G-parents picking it up. It smelling like death. Of the texts claiming she got rid of the death smell. 911 call and finding of the body like trash in the woods. With tape covering the face.

If anything is shown, it might be photos that back up the story time line. Caylee visiting GGpaw. ICA partying. Pictures of the Car. Text messages blown up, etc.

THey are going to show the baby was missing and only her Mother knew that. That she kept that information private for as long as she can. When her Mother caught up with her, with a car that smelled like death, she asked for 1 more day.

Does anyone know who will give the opening statements for both sides?

I assume Baez for DT.....but not sure who from SA.

WFTV Special: Casey On Trial Weekly Update

http://www.wftv.com/video/27978351/index.html

Kathi Belich
Bill Sheaffer

KB: Prosecutors said, it sounds like they are planning sort of a shock and awe on Tuesday morning and they plan to use audio, video and photos in their opening statement. What do you think we will see and hear?
BS: We are going to see a high tech presentation in this opening something you don't ordinarily see in these types of trials. I would expect the first thing they want to do is put a face to this young child and what a face Caylee has, they will then probably play that 911 call from Cindy Anthony where she starts saying it smelled like a damn dead body in the car. I think they'll show some of the party pictures. They're not gonna dwell on the party pictures because they don't want that to be a focus of the trial or feature of the trial because you could have appellate problems. But I expect we're going to see quite a dramatic shock and awe and you have said Kathi, in their opening statement.
KB: Now the defense has said for a long time that at the trial you are going to hear why Casey waited 31 days to tell anybody Caylee was missing. Do you think they're going to do that in their opening statement?
BS: Absolutely, they are going to have to, this is the burning question this community, everyone wants to know. Why a mother of a two year old child that goes missing for 31 days not tell law enforcement and then on top of that she tells lie after lie after lie. That is the biggest problem for the defense that's something they have to deal with right out of the gate. If they don't they are going to have additional problems. So absolutely they'll be raising reasonable doubt in their opening also.
(end snip)

I agree that they should play a video. I think they should play the one of her with her great grandfather. It's really touching especially when she gives him a hug and a kiss.

I love this idea! I think it's important to start the trial by reminding everyone of the little girl this is all about. That video is perfect because it illustrates that she was a thriving little precious innocent toddler. She was happy and joyful and alive. Make those jurors fall in love with this little baby like we all have. Her life mattered. Make it matter to the jury.

ETA: The autopsy stuff has to come in later but in my opinion the jury needs to care about Caylee's life to see the true injustice in her death.

BBM:

:eek::eek::eek: WOW ... that is NOT much time at all !

Is this 7 minute opening a court rule ? Just curious ...

Thanks.

ETA: I do not think opening statements should be any longer than say 30-45 minutes because the evidence to support the opening will be presented, and besides, you do NOT want to "overwhelm" the jury ... there will be plenty of time to show ALL the EVIDENCE !

I think it would be great for the SA to use the video of Caylee visiting her great-grandfather because this is the LAST VIDEO/PHOTO of CAYLEE ALIVE ! But the SA should NOT "over do" the videos and audio in opening ... just ENOUGH for EFFECT !!

BBM:

:eek::eek::eek: WOW ... that is NOT much time at all !

Is this 7 minute opening a court rule ? Just curious ...

Thanks.

I can't find the video right now but I believe that is what the judge said 7 minutes per side for opening statements. I would imagine it is not a court rule but given the fact that there are 300 witnesses it's not necessary to beat a dead horse so to speak. SA can do it in 7 minutes and JB probably has less than 7 minutes but if he plans it out correctly he could stretch it out for 7 minutes without too much of a problem.

It is actually smart to limit the time because the evidence speaks for itself and you lose the jury's attention if it is too long and drawn out. Now closing statements may be another thing. jmo

I think they should have a slide show of pictures of Caylee as she was before she was murdered with the voice of Casey Anthony playing over it as she gives her statements to LE (Hopespring/Universal). Also, I think it should last 31 minutes with a digital clock counting down and when the 31 minutes comes to 0:00 they should start their oral opening statement with the 31 days. I think that would have a huge impact... Caylee's beautiful pictures and videos of her... All Casey's lies about ZFG kidnapping Caylee and Casey not reporting Caylee missing. The jury will not be able to comprehend waiting 31 days before reporting your child "kidnapped." They would not even understand 31 minutes not reporting your child "kidnapped."

Then I think they should go in chronological order of how everything unfolded... starting with the 911 calls. The jury will see the photographs of Caylee's remains, but I do not think they will see them before the State gets to December 2008. Can't wait for the jury to see the video of DC though.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back