What would the state like to show in opening arguments?

I can't find the video right now but I believe that is what the judge said 7 minutes per side for opening statements. I would imagine it is not a court rule but given the fact that there are 300 witnesses it's not necessary to beat a dead horse so to speak. SA can do it in 7 minutes and JB probably has less than 7 minutes but if he plans it out correctly he could stretch it out for 7 minutes without too much of a problem.

It is actually smart to limit the time because the evidence speaks for itself and you lose the jury's attention if it is too long and drawn out. Now closing statements may be another thing. jmo

Dang, I wanted at least 31 minutes? :banghead:

Does anyone know who will give the opening statements for both sides?

I assume Baez for DT.....but not sure who from SA.

I am pretty sure LBD will give opening statements, but during closing statements I remember them wanting to split it up. LDB will give her statements about the facts of the case and JA will give the part about the forensics. I don't remember if it was Judge Stickland or Judge Perry who gave them the okay for that?

I think they should have a slide show of pictures of Caylee as she was before she was murdered with the voice of Casey Anthony playing over it as she gives her statements to LE (Hopespring/Universal). Also, I think it should last 31 minutes with a digital clock counting down and when the 31 minutes comes to 0:00 they should start their oral opening statement with the 31 days. I think that would have a huge impact... Caylee's beautiful pictures and videos of her... All Casey's lies about ZFG kidnapping Caylee and Casey not reporting Caylee missing. The jury will not be able to comprehend waiting 31 days before reporting your child "kidnapped." They would not even understand 31 minutes not reporting your child "kidnapped."

Then I think they should go in chronological order of how everything unfolded... starting with the 911 calls. The jury will see the photographs of Caylee's remains, but I do not think they will see them before the State gets to December 2008. Can't wait for the jury to see the video of DC though.

I like your idea Lola, but I kind of like one on another thread a little bit better to illustrate this same point. Someone posted that on day 31 of the trial they want the prosecution to call attention to the fact that they have all been together now for 31 days, and to think about how long that really is, then drive home the point of it was 31 days before anyone reported Caylee missing, and at even that late date it wasn't even her mother that reported her. Speaks volumes.

My understanding of this conversation is Jose asked the State to exchange opening statements but the State does not want to or has not shared.
HHJP states the two sides should work something out but if they cannot agree, he will have to read it ahead of time. (The opening statements, I assume). TIA.

JB: there may be situations when we need to delay. I discussed with LDB guidelines on how we want to proceed with opening statements what is acceptable and what is not. She said ask you for guide lines.

LDB: not near mic

HHJP: It depends on what the photos are. Like I said before I need to know exactly what you are talking about.

JB: I have no objections...

HHJP: if you both agree on then I doubt because I don't know what it is I prob won't have a prob. if you disagree I have to read it ahead of time. I have my little things like starting on time. A hearing before that, as I said that jury will be given the opening instructions and after that opening statements. if you can agree fine, if not...

LDB: ?

HHJP: the only opposition I would have is ? I'm, so you are asking me to rule on something I have not seen or heard. I have told mr baez in the past I do not write blank checks. If you can agree generally I have no prob. If miss Anthony signs off on it then...if you are going to be arguing then do it the old fashioned way...have you agreed?

LDB: haven't shown each other...

HHJP: let me say this, if you can agree fine. If you have some minor disagreements and you want my input I am willing to do that but there are only two times I will be in the Orange Co Court house, don't know what time. And between 7 and noon I am totally unavailable and on Sunday after noon at 4 to the Court house(Orange). You discuss. If there are matters and you are both interested it is going to be all or nothing for some portions. Both sides have seven minutes apiece to flap their gums. As I say I will be there Sat afternoon and Sunday for a while. Talk about it and we can deal with that, I think that takes care of both issues.
(end)

I can't imagine remains being shown in opening statements, and shame on the State if they do.

Don't think the remains can be presented in opening statement. Wouldn't there have to be some type of foundation laid prior to this?

Wonder if the jury will be told that up until that moment, ICA only excuse for not reporting Caylee missing, is because the Nanny had her and wouldn't give her back.

OF the jury who knows, I wonder how hearing a previously unheard tale is going to fly.

JB might think that waiting until the last minute to spring this on the Jury will make it more believable, cause no one will be giving a chance to disprove it right away. But I think not having it out there all this time, makes it harder to believe.

Maybe CA's 911 call saying it smells like a dead body in the trunk of her daughter's car would be an effective opening.

Dang, I wanted at least 31 minutes? :banghead:

That isn't a very long time. Compare that to the first Juror that JB questioned.. now that was a drawn out affair.

I agree, quick, sweet, and to the point would be better and more easily remembered then a drawn out, all day explanation that will bore the jury.

My understanding of this conversation is Jose asked the State to exchange opening statements but the State does not want to or has not shared.
HHJP states the two sides should work something out but if they cannot agree, he will have to read it ahead of time. (The opening statements, I assume). TIA.

JB: there may be situations when we need to delay. I discussed with LDB guidelines on how we want to proceed with opening statements what is acceptable and what is not. She said ask you for guide lines.

HHJP: It depends on what the photos are. Like I said before I need to know exactly what you are talking about.

HHJP: if you both agree on then I doubt because I don't know what it is I prob won't have a prob. if you disagree I have to read it ahead of time. I have my little things like starting on time. A hearing before that, as I said that jury will be given the opening instructions and after that opening statements. if you can agree fine, if not...

HHJP: the only opposition I would have is ? I'm, so you are asking me to rule on something I have not seen or heard. I have told mr baez in the past I do not write blank checks. If you can agree generally I have no prob. If miss Anthony signs off on it then...if you are going to be arguing then do it the old fashioned way...have you agreed?

HHJP: let me say this, if you can agree fine. If you have some minor disagreements and you want my input I am willing to do that but there are only two times I will be in the Orange Co Court house, don't know what time. And between 7 and noon I am totally unavailable and on Sunday after noon at 4 to the Court house(Orange). You discuss. If there are matters and you are both interested it is going to be all or nothing for some portions. Both sides have seven minutes apiece to flap their gums. As I say I will be there Sat afternoon and Sunday for a while. Talk about it and we can deal with that, I think that takes care of both issues.
(end)

It's confusing, isn't it? I think he was talking about the opening statements but he could be talking about meeting with them on either Saturday or Sunday. I would think if he were just meeting with them he would not limit them to 7 minutes apiece. This sounds like something more structured. jmo Thanks for finding that Chiquita71

The photos of Caylee's remains won't be used to pluck the heartstrings of jurors. The photos of her remains will be shown the same day the SA has to prove that Caylee is in fact deceased. They will also present a copy of her death certificate.

We may see one postmortem photo in opening statements, but don't expect a complete presentation of them till Dr. G testifies.

IIRC the Judge offered them 7 minutes each this afternoon to discuss with him pictures and maybe even videos. He didn't restrict them to 7 minutes of opening statements.

I think the state knows exactly what to do and how to get all the information across fairly and thoroughly. I have so much faith in JA and LDB that I don't even worry about them at all.

Is there a thread for Laci and Conner Peterson's opening statements/trial? I'd like to re-visit that. IIRC, they did show pictures of their remains, but I don't recall at what point.

(end)

Thank you. I've been looking for this particular part where HHJP refers to the seven minutes. I may be way off base here, but what I took away from this exchange is that the Judge would give them seven minutes each (sometime Sunday afternoon) to argue over whether or not the DT and SA should exchange/share opening statements with each other and what is and isn't acceptable during opening statements if they can't work it out for themselves.

Seven minutes is not a lot of time for opening statements and I would find it hard to believe that HHJP would limit them to that. But I could be wrong. JMO and all that...

Is there a thread for Laci and Conner Peterson's opening statements/trial? I'd like to re-visit that. IIRC, they did show pictures of their remains, but I don't recall at what point.

I found the archived forum for Lacey. Looking to see if I find anything.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29160"]Laci Peterson Case Archived - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Okay, it looks like there were no cameras allowed SP's trial. I wasn't following Lacey's case closely so had no idea. Don't think there will be an opening statements thread since we weren't privy to them immediately.
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4624"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I think they should point out that the pontiac was impounded on such and such date, and a hair with a death band on it was found in the trunk. Therefore Caylee was dead before the car was impounded, thereby Casey lied to the police about her being missing at all, plus her statement about talking to Caylee on July 15. Not physically possible to talk to a dead person on the phone. Why would someone lie about that, if they were not the killer?

Edited to add....the forensic botany shows she was disposed of in the woods prior to that date as well.

IIRC the Judge offered them 7 minutes each this afternoon to discuss with him pictures and maybe even videos. He didn't restrict them to 7 minutes of opening statements.

LOL So much more succinct than me. :)

A calendar montage of the 31 days (June 15 - July 15) encapsulating the events of each day (beginning with last video taken of Caylee singing "You are my sunshine" to great grandpa,) the blockbuster trip, Target shopping sprees, Fushion and other party pix, July 4 smiling pic, 'Beautiful Life' tattoo, Cindy's and Casey's MySpace posts, Cindy's 911 calls ("Give me one more day" then "Smell like there's been a dead body in the damn car") her detached demeanor and lies to LE etc. I'd end it with her jail call home asking for Tony L's phone number and "all you care about is getting Caylee back."

Correct... it was 7 minutes for agruments of what can/cannot be included. Not 7 minutes for open statements themselves.

A calendar montage of the 31 days (June 15 - July 15) encapsulating the events of each day (beginning with last video taken of Caylee singing "You are my sunshine" to great grandpa,) the blockbuster trip, Target shopping sprees, Fushion and other party pix, July 4 smiling pic, 'Beautiful Life' tattoo, Cindy's and Casey's MySpace posts, Cindy's 911 calls ("Give me one more day" then "Smell like there's been a dead body in the damn car") her detached demeanor and lies to LE etc. I'd end it with her jail call home asking for Tony L's phone number and "all you care about is getting Caylee back."

This will be part of closing arguments IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back