Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #42

Status
Not open for further replies.

From this article:

"But two law-enforcement sources separately said the visitors included two members of Patterson's immediate family and the people they were dating."

"The family was there," one source said. Patterson "told (Jayme) that if she made a noise or tried to escape, he would kill her."

The sources would only speak on the condition of anonymity because the case is ongoing."

IMO these LE sources are leaking privileged information, even knowing "the case is ongoing." Either the sheriff needs to nip this in the bud, or many things will become tainted in their evidence gathering.

We do know that the 'CC' detailed that, "J.L.C. described how, on one occasion, Patterson got mad at her and hit her “really hard” on her back with what she described as a handle for something used to clean blinds and that it hurt really bad when Patterson hit her with it. J.L.C. stated she did not specifically remember what she did to make him mad on that occasion, but she remembers Patterson telling her that if it happened again the punishment would be worse next time."

I really don't know if Jayme would have not mentioned his threat that, "he would kill her."

Perhaps my perception of anonymous LE sources is setting off my 'huh?' meters?

Your questions have me asking more questions!

This one was discussed in early threads and I don't recall there was an answer? Did JC's home have the front porch light turned on when police arrived?
Did JC go to the front door and turn the light on when Jayme alerted him that someone was on the property? Did this cause JP to change the way he would enter or was this violent entry part of his fantasy? If what occurred was his actual plan it does not seem very strategic for a guy who may think of himself as the evil Rambo. JMHO X's 5

I would have to look at it again but I reread it yesterday and I believe in the complaint the officers say no lights were on in front at all, I take that to mean outside as well. It then says there was a light in the northwest corner (parent's bedroom I believe) and then it *sounds* like after walking around back of the house there was a light on back there... That is a subject I was going to bring up at some point... I wondered at first if they meant they could see the parent's bedroom light or was it a motion light activated out back or one left on...?

Jumping off of your response a bit but I reread the complaint yesterday and it brought some questions. That is one that I have not brought up until now.

Your questions have me asking more questions!

This one was discussed in early threads and I don't recall there was an answer? Did JC's home have the front porch light turned on when police arrived?
Did JC go to the front door and turn the light on when Jayme alerted him that someone was on the property? Did this cause JP to change the way he would enter or was this violent entry part of his fantasy? If what occurred was his actual plan it does not seem very strategic for a guy who may think of himself as the evil Rambo. JMHO X's 5
It was reported in the cc that JC peered outside his front window with a flashlight, and shouted at JP to show his badge (assuming JP was LE). I don't believe JC had the light on, nor do I think this would affect how JP entered the home. It was reported he shot open the door.

Jayme Closs: What We Know About Alleged Kidnapper Jake Patterson – Rolling Stone

My brain is spinning. On the one hand, he did everything he could to have no contact with the outside world. But when caught, he is eager to admit to the crime and tell his story. So which is it.... loves the attention or wants no attention?
I've been wrestling with this as well. I found little info from research (most I found involves giving a false confession) and what I did find was very old or would make no sense in a case like this. The info about "Suspect Paranoia" from the link below doesn't really fit for me either but is the only one I found that involves a violent crime and reason some confess
Why Suspects Confess

From this article:

"But two law-enforcement sources separately said the visitors included two members of Patterson's immediate family and the people they were dating."

"The family was there," one source said. Patterson "told (Jayme) that if she made a noise or tried to escape, he would kill her."

The sources would only speak on the condition of anonymity because the case is ongoing."

IMO these LE sources are leaking privileged information, even knowing "the case is ongoing." Either the sheriff needs to nip this in the bud, or many things will become tainted in their evidence gathering.

We do know that the 'CC' detailed that, "J.L.C. described how, on one occasion, Patterson got mad at her and hit her “really hard” on her back with what she described as a handle for something used to clean blinds and that it hurt really bad when Patterson hit her with it. J.L.C. stated she did not specifically remember what she did to make him mad on that occasion, but she remembers Patterson telling her that if it happened again the punishment would be worse next time."

I really don't know if Jayme would have not mentioned his threat that, "he would kill her."

Perhaps my perception of anonymous LE sources is setting off my 'huh?' meters?

I wonder about this in both ways. We have two agencies involved county-wise now, and the State so did someone leak it that shouldn't? This also could be Douglas County which is not Fitz--the home is there, Christmas occurred there--not sure how jurisdiction and interviews would work with that--I would almost think the events that happened there are under the Douglas jurisdiction. Which would also explain Fitz saying he does not know or no comment, not their investigation (although he may know the results)...

The other way in my both way comment is I have started to believe maybe some things are leaked intentionally to see what happens and cause a reaction... And see what comes about online and from individuals involved, etc.

Hard to say. But I will say someone apparently let news orgs get pictures of the Gordon property and that too I would think would be more Douglas County covering it...

Yet I admit I do not know if Barron can take over with all of it since the initial crime was in Barron. Any experts on here who would know?

ETA: I would add to this that there were very few leaks at all that I can recall before her escape. One can look at that a variety of ways. Many comments on how little we knew, how quiet the community was, etc. Food for thought. I think.

I've noticed a pattern in almost every case I've ever followed...

In the beginning of the discussion, within the first few days, stories about the crime always emerge and are usually shrugged off as "rumors" because they're unsubstantiated by the media or LE. Yet later, sometimes years later, many of those early rumors turn out to be true. In this case, it's Denise barricading herself and Jayme in the bathroom. I see this not just on WS but all over the internet. As a result, I've started paying really close attention to what's being said at the beginning. That's sometimes when lips are the loosest.

I would have to look at it again but I reread it yesterday and I believe in the complaint the officers say no lights were on in front at all, I take that to mean outside as well. It then says there was a light in the northwest corner (parent's bedroom I believe) and then it *sounds* like after walking around back of the house there was a light on back there... That is a subject I was going to bring up at some point... I wondered at first if they meant they could see the parent's bedroom light or was it a motion light activated out back or one left on...?

Jumping off of your response a bit but I reread the complaint yesterday and it brought some questions. That is one that I have not brought up until now.
Thank you for that info! It's a subject that has nagged at me as well. Going to go back and reread. How in the world did I miss that?

We don’t know what happen with mom
Oct 3rd / 4th.

If Mom tells jake I’m getting remarried oct. 4th. And jake is unhinged from that date on, regardless of what happened in divorce I’d feel horrible for mother.... and wouldn’t blame mom for not leaving house...

Jake could be using her house for just recon and that’s beyond not fair to mom...

I still think we’ll find out more on oct 3rd/4th.... if he’s truly just leaving work humming along... look there’s a girl to kidnap.. that’s scary...
Also there is the introduction of a new person between him and his mother. We have no idea if his step father is a source of friction or not and if he only can see his mother when the stepfather is not around. It may another reason for feeling alienated.

It was reported in the cc that JC peered outside his front window with a flashlight, and shouted at JP to show his badge (assuming JP was LE). I don't believe JC had the light on, nor do I think this would affect how JP entered the home. It was reported he shot open the door.

Jayme Closs: What We Know About Alleged Kidnapper Jake Patterson – Rolling Stone
Thank you for the article. You also saved me from searching for the complaint as it has a link to the complaint.

Suspect Jake Thomas Patterson hosted a Christmas gathering while Jayme Closs was imprisoned in the same house, sources say
d7f18399-51cd-4c90-80a0-552f38aba196-DSC_5059.JPG

Jan 22, 2019

One source identified Patterson's father and sister as the family members who made the Christmas visit to the ramshackle house at 14166 S. Eau Claire Acres Circle in Gordon, a town of about 750 located about 70 miles north of Jayme's home town of Barron.

The second source confirmed that the investigation had found that those family members visited Patterson on Christmas.

There is no indication that any of the guests knew Jayme was imprisoned beneath the bed, the source said.
[...]
He also, according to the complaint, visited a grandparent in Superior for 12 hours during the time Closs was his captive.

To date, there's been no indication that family members had a clue about Patterson's secrets.
[...]
Patterson's defense attorneys have said more will be revealed about their client's behavior and motives as the case proceeds. They did not respond to a request for comment for this story.

Interesting wording in the different articles. One calls it a visit and another goes full fledged party with family partying upstairs. I wonder which is the most accurate? SMH.

So dad and brother go to hearing. Gender lines. But dad and sister were at perp's at a Christmas gathering, he drove sister's car and lived in dad's house. Quite honestly, none of the family has spoken to media and have avoided them for the most part which is understandable. Grandpa said a little bit. Dad spoke when forced to but very little. Dad wrote a letter which I can look at two very different ways. Yet we know he visited mom. We know nothing about employment of any except JTP's lack of it and mom driving a school bus... Not that we are entitled to know but with our sensational media, it seems a bit odd those things have not come out... imho.
The little snippets of information available about his family just don't seem to be enough to make any assumptions about his family dynamics. Even if we know everything about them as a family, JP's actions and psychology are his own. They are probably no more dysfunctional on the surface than at least half of families. <modsnipped unfounded speculation> MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The little snippets of information available about his family just don't seem to be enough to make any assumptions about his family dynamics. Even if we know everything about them as a family, JP's actions and psychology are his own. They are probably no more dysfunctional on the surface than at least half of families. <modsnipped>MOO.

We are also looking at the situation as outsiders with context. It can be much different when you're living in the middle of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting wording in the different articles. One calls it a visit and another goes full fledged party with family partying upstairs. I wonder which is the most accurate? SMH.
My vote would definitely be that this was the typical, divorced family holiday visit. I see a Father that wanted to see his adult children for Christmas on common ground. From what we've seen of the cabin, "full fledged party" is not exactly what first comes to mind! MOO

ETA: And from what we know of JP, he certainly didn't "HOST" anything. Really bad headline...

Last edited:
I've been wrestling with this as well. I found little info from research (most I found involves giving a false confession) and what I did find was very old or would make no sense in a case like this. The info about "Suspect Paranoia" from the link below doesn't really fit for me either but is the only one I found that involves a violent crime and reason some confess
Why Suspects Confess

Everything we know seems like a contradiction, as if he was two different people completely. Not saying there were two people involved but he plans, then doesn't. He wants to be smart but then just confesses. He is called a loner but then he hosts Christmas. I put much down to media and people who knew him 3 years ago, etc., the only ones talking, etc. The people who probably knew him best in more recent years we have not heard from. All speculation, even media by some friend from 3 years ago or some such...

Also there is the introduction of a new person between him and his mother. We have no idea if his step father is a source of friction or not and if he only can see his mother when the stepfather is not around. It may another reason for feeling alienated.

Well said, and we have no idea how long he’s been around.....if he liked step dad or not...when did mom move into new house etc. the resume looks like word doc template ... I’m guessing he wrote it on moms computer?

Still rereading (very slowly this time) but I see the information you shared about the lights. No outside lights on so that answers my question about the front porch light. The wording about the backlight is a little confusing but would make sense if it were a motion detector light.
"Upon arrival, Deputy Pressley reports there were no outside lights on at the residence and no screaming or signs of distress consistent with the 911 call coming from inside. Deputy Pressley reports he observed there was a light on in the residence in the upstairs northwest corner window. As he walked around the back of the residence, Deputy Pressley observed an upstairs light on the back side of the residence."
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/jayme+closs+complaint.pdf

Yeah, I think some of the outlets are trying to make it sound like there was a full-blown Christmas party going on, which seems very unlikely based on what we know of JP and have seen of the house. My guess is the father and sister and SOs stopped by to drop off gifts and hang out for a little while before going somewhere else for the day, and then JP went to his grandparents' house.

Everything we know seems like a contradiction, as if he was two different people completely. Not saying there were two people involved but he plans, then doesn't. He wants to be smart but then just confesses. He is called a loner but then he hosts Christmas. I put much down to media and people who knew him 3 years ago, etc., the only ones talking, etc. The people who probably knew him best in more recent years we have not heard from. All speculation, even media by some friend from 3 years ago or some such...

It’s very bizarre, you take anybody and put them in isolated cabin with only books , no phone , and only can talk to your mom once a week...

Half people would be crazy by year 2, if not sooner, whatever demons he had, isolation only made them worse.

It’s very bizarre, you take anybody and put them in isolated cabin with only books , no phone , and only can talk to your mom once a week...

Half people would be crazy by year 2, if not sooner, whatever demons he had, isolation only made them worse.
Is talking to your mom a good or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea