AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Some interesting points from that link
  • Sheriff Fitzgerald said he could not classify this as an abduction, as there's no information to support that at this time but is saying she is missing and in danger.
  • Fitzgerald said there's no credible information that this is a sex trafficking case.
  • He also admitted this is a tough case and they are not as far as he'd like to be in the investigation. "I'm struggling with this, because I don't have some of the answers that I want to give you and give the family," he said.
  • Fitzgerald said more than 100 active law enforcement is working the case currently. Updates will be sent via the Barron County Sheriff's Department or the FBI social media channels.
  • The community is not needed to conduct searches at this point, Fitzgerald said, but the tipline is the best direct source for the public to relay pertinent information in this case.
  • The autopsy of the Closs couple will take place on Wednesday -- it was initially supposed to be conducted on Tuesday, but new information pushed it back.
  • At this point, they do not know if she is alone or traveling with anyone, nor do they know if she has a boyfriend.

if this does not sound like a govt official I do not know what does !

• Sheriff Fitzgerald said he could not classify this as an abduction, as there's no information to support that at this time but is saying she is missing and in danger.

It's entirely possible she had/has a secret boyfriend and never expected anything bad to happen. Just saying...
It hasn't been excluded.
  • At this point, they do not know if she is alone or traveling with anyone, nor do they know if she has a boyfriend.
Chi
I am so onboard with this scenario. jmo
ETA And good morning. Lots of posts to catch up.

Don’t most school activities take place right after school? Meaning no need for a ride to said activity? And if it’s an away meet the kids get bussed? Dance could possibly be an issue but there’s always carpooling. The caregiver (or babysitter, whichever it correct) situation is odd to me.
Around here cross country doesn’t have a team travel bus parents have to carpool to meets with both parents working perhaps even overlapping shifts I can see the need for help from someone who drives

Thanks. Some interesting points from that link
  • Fitzgerald said there's no credible information that this is a sex trafficking case.
  • He also admitted this is a tough case and they are not as far as he'd like to be in the investigation. "I'm struggling with this, because I don't have some of the answers that I want to give you and give the family," he said.
  • Fitzgerald said more than 100 active law enforcement is working the case currently. Updates will be sent via the Barron County Sheriff's Department or the FBI social media channels.
  • The community is not needed to conduct searches at this point, Fitzgerald said, but the tipline is the best direct source for the public to relay pertinent information in this case.
  • The autopsy of the Closs couple will take place on Wednesday -- it was initially supposed to be conducted on Tuesday, but new information pushed it back.

This all sounds like she’s on the run to me. JMO

I am in agreement with the posts that this was sexually motivated. I think that's the most likely scenario when a teen girl goes missing like this.

The door being shot in indicates, to me, that this was premeditated. Somebody (or somebodies) went in there specifically to get Jayme. Somebody who knew of her enough to be pretty infatuated with her (IMO) to go to such great lengths to take her. Maybe a family friend, a laborer, etc.

But. I know sometimes these things simply defy logic, but why wouldn't a perp wait until Jayme is alone? Why go into the home and murder two people? This is the part that's tripping me up. With Mollie Tibbetts and countless others, a perp who is sexually motivated grabs a young girl when they are alone and vulnerable. Why not this time?

I think of situations like the Petit family. Two men went in, made the wife I believe drive to an ATM to get cash, also sexually assaulted every female in the home, killed them all (except the husband), and then burned the house. So was that really sexually motivated? Maybe, in part. But that was just two guys who went on a crime spree of all kinds. Money and rape and power. Maybe it's more in line with that.

Why would he say this ? (Can’t classify as an abduction) We know they received new information that pushed back the autopsy and cause a reprocessing of the scene I’m wondering if the 911 audio is enhanced now and that has given them a different direction ?

I think they lived there for about 7 years, not her entire life.

Tom Smrekar said the Closses moved in next door about seven years ago, but he has spoken with them only a handful of times

‘It is right next door’: Barron community in shock over couple’s slaying in early morning hours

That's interesting. The house was purchased in 2001. I only saw the realtor listing but I thought someone else in the thread found property records with their names on it. I'll see if I can find it if no one else has (I'm not caught up on the thread yet).

In a case I was watching just yesterday on Cold Justice about the murders of Dennis Young and Kimberly Stephan the perp shot both of them and then because Dennis was taking too long to actually die he got a knife from the kitchen and then. Sliced his throat and on the side of his throat he stabbed him with puncture wounds.it was easily proved which came first because of the manner arterial bleeding. Perhaps Jayme’s parents have more than one type of would that might have been fatal and LE is making sure they get autopsies and COD right knowing this is important for trial. I looked for a link from the case on Cold Justice but could t find one with COD stated so here’s a link to the episode.
"Cold Justice" Lying in Wait (TV Episode 2015) - IMDb

Perp could have been in house when family returned from gathering or could have come to door and knocked. Not enough information yet. I sadly think Jayme was taken by a sex offender, either in the area or met online... I pray she’s alive and can be found today.

ETA... I apologize if this has been linked or discussed ad nauseous yet. Still behind on the thread.

That's interesting. The house was purchased in 2001. I only saw the realtor listing but I thought someone else in the thread found property records with their names on it. I'll see if I can find it if no one else has (I'm not caught up on the thread yet).

June 2001 is when James purchased it from what I see on the property record

Would you pull your teenager out of a school they are comfortable in for a babysitter, or would you just find a new babysitter? Maybe pickings are slim for good after school caretakers, just seems odd to change schools over it though. If she is a normal 13 year old, I’d think she could adapt to a new sitter without having to switch schools to follow the sitter?

I think she was pulled out last year or the year before? It isn't legal to leave your kid home alone in Wisconsin at a certain age. Also bussing isn't available for all and after/before school programs in small communities is unheard of. Finding childcare in these areas is incredibly hard as well, whether it be quality or affordable. Would they move schools? Most definitely. Jobs are limited and not very flexible, you do what you have to do to pay the bills.

when it comes to the chair I’m not really sure what to think. I can see the fabric/rope/shoelaces/whatever it is that are attached and my initial reaction was that it was just the cushion ties. Some cushions have ties in both the front and back so that part doesn’t bother me. But something has been bugging me about it...if they wanted to remove the cushion then the easiest ways would either be to untie it or cut the ties off with it. Seems really impractical to me that they would cut the cushion off but leave the ties.

It seems like a small detail, but it would obviously tell a very different story about what happened in that house if that was in fact rope and not the cushion ties. So I’d really like to know. I’m sure LE won’t tell us anytime soon (and they don’t have to), but I’m very curious.

This is an excellent point. I can't figure out how cushion ties would be cut from the cushion in such a way that they would be left on the chair and no part of the cushion would be left with it. If they needed to remove the cushion for evidence they would just cut the ties in one place and they would stay with the cushion, not on the chair. JMO.

I don't believe those are cushion ties. And I see red spots on the chair legs. Something terrifying happened in that house prior to JC's parents being murdered and JC disappearing. MOO.

I think she was pulled out last year or the year before? It isn't legal to leave your kid home alone in Wisconsin at a certain age. Also bussing isn't available for all and after/before school programs in small communities is unheard of. Finding childcare in these areas is incredibly hard as well, whether it be quality or affordable. Would they move schools? Most definitely. Jobs are limited and not very flexible, you do what you have to do to pay the bills.

Maybe changing schools was really hard on Jayme, especially if she was quiet but still involved in sports at the original school.

Someone said the schools are only 7 miles apart. That seems a bit drastic to switch your child’s school over 7 miles. I can’t imagine a caretaker saying 7 miles was too big of a difference in time, but maybe.

I just can't figure out why they would have qualified for it? I would certainly hope if Jayme had some sort of disability we would have been informed of that by now as it would be important! Both parents worked full time as far as we know... it doesn't seem on the surface like anyone in the house would have qualified for SSI.

I don't think they did. I just think the word was used and it's just an odd phrasing, nothing more.

Because she was the target and was abducted.
Motive in these cases is generally to take the child for sexual purposes.

Children qualify for SSI in many ways, my SIL has a daughter who gets it because she was born at 26 weeks, she is now 6. But she has low birth weight and has remained tiny. "Disability" by definition is something that is not always seen.

Listing of Impairments - Child Listings (Part B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member