AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in holding on to hope until there is proven to be no hope.
But I still have a really bad feeling about this.
Of course we all do, Jayme has already been gone for too long.
I'm putting my faith in the FBI and other experts. IMO they're her best hope.
Chi

The sheriff called a meeting Wednesday evening with Barron County residents, but he barred reporters from attending, saying he wants to have a private dialogue with the people who elected him.

Bill Lueders, president of the Wisconsin Freedom of Information Council, called the decision to bar the media "offensive."

"The media are uniquely able to help, in terms of getting out information and encouraging people to share tips," Lueders said. "Does he want to find this girl, or does he just want to make a public display of his dislike for the press?"
Investigators have '100 percent expectation' that missing Wisconsin girl Jayme Closs is still alive

I am trying to catch up, but I saw people mentioning and questioning on whether the town LE has experience, how things go about getting the FBI, etc.

There are guidelines for LE to handle these cases as well as collaborative efforts from other agencies (e.g. FBI, state LE, etc) . If anyone is doubting the competency or the way the LE is acting, this is really good resource if you have the time to look to get an idea:

Investigator's Package

( I believe this sort of link is okay in a thread since it is not specific case details or rumors. It's a government sponsored resource but if not i apologize! )

It gave me a good idea of what the LE here may be trying to do and work with with how they present information. I hope it helps bring some confidence/hope to people feeling skeptical of competency.

For example, One thing I found out that was really helpful is understanding what may be meant by "in danger" constantly in the description. FBI becomes automatically involved if the case is strongly suggestion to be an abduction by a non-familial individual or individuals. I think this fact alone may put her status as "in danger" regardless of what is or isn't known until recovered.

(sorry I edited it the imminent term because I didn't have a link to confirm that was the word used)

Does anyone know how many deputies patrol at night in those areas of this town?

Is it possible that most of the deputies are too comfortable and rarely patrol these rural properties like they should?
I’m a few pages back, but from my experience living in a no stoplight town in eastern Minnesota for a year, the police seem to be out patrolling a lot more than other cities I’ve lived in, and I’ve lived in my share of different cities & states. I was surprised while living there, actually. It felt safe, even though I knew drugs were prevalent. Anyway, that’s why it’s so easy for me to believe a cop showed up within 4 minutes.
On a side note; I do believe the person who did these terrible things must be familiar with Barron. There would be too many risks of being not only caught, but for all this person knows, someone in that house could have had a rifle next to their bed, a gun on them at all times, who would know?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if maybe she tried to end an online relationship, and the perpetrator became enraged and decided to travel to her house, murder her parents, and kidnap her.

At the 5:35 minute mark of the press conference the Sheriff answers a question ...

"... and we believe Jayme was home based on the evidence in our case ... um ... some of it ... in that 911 call and some it is still part of the active investigation"

It leads me to think that since the 911 call was characterized as yelling and in the earliest statement about the call was that someone in the background said "help" then something else in the content of the call has to indicate she was there and to me that means at the time of the call. Your mileage may vary.

Agreed. I think the enhanced 911 call combined with what they found at the scene of the crime led them to believe she was there. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that could lead you to believe she was in the house: was her toothbrush wet, wet towels if she showered at night, the clothes she was wearing during the day in the hamper, her bed warm or unmade. Worst case scenario, blood on her bed or in her room. All these combined with a young girl's voice on the call may add up to them being confident she was in the house when the murder occurred. JMO

Jayme's grandfather (mother's dad) said she was at the afternoon birthday party of her cousin...presumably she left with her mother and dad was still at work. I would think that she had a cell phone and called at least one friend that evening that could verify that she was still alive after the party. LE is saying they arrived 4 minutes after the 911 call...but I haven't seen a time between when the gunshots were heard and when the 911 call was made.

Updated 6:56 pm LE concluded:

A missing Wisconsin teenager was still at home when her parents were shot to deaththis week, the Barron County sheriff said Wednesday.

Officials have said the 911 call came from inside the home and identified the cellphone it came from but declined to say who owns it. The caller did not speak to dispatchers.

Fitzgerald on Wednesday said that information from the phone call and from inside the home led investigators to conclude that Jayme Closs was home at the time her parents were killed.

Missing Wisconsin girl's parents died from gunshots, Jayme Closs may have been there, sheriff says

According to Google Maps, the Barron Police Department sits exactly a 4 minute drive east from the home (we don't know if that's where the deputies left from, but I'm speculating).

It was also mentioned in the presser that there was no one and no vehicles in the "immediate area" when deputies arrived on scene.

Where did she go? Jmo
Could someone good with maps help me out here?

I just read that about 1500 feet from their home through the woods, that there is a tower with a gravel road that goes between two cornfields and comes out at US 8. Could this the way that the perp got her out of there, maybe at gun point, as they might have had a car or truck parked on that gravel road before going to the Closs home? Or I am just reaching here?

The sheriff called a meeting Wednesday evening with Barron County residents, but he barred reporters from attending, saying he wants to have a private dialogue with the people who elected him.

Bill Lueders, president of the Wisconsin Freedom of Information Council, called the decision to bar the media "offensive."

"The media are uniquely able to help, in terms of getting out information and encouraging people to share tips," Lueders said. "Does he want to find this girl, or does he just want to make a public display of his dislike for the press?"
Investigators have '100 percent expectation' that missing Wisconsin girl Jayme Closs is still alive

I think maybe hoping no media forces the perp to show up in person. They must think he’s following the case very closely

Or he doesn't want local residents to be harassed...

Agreed. I think the enhanced 911 call combined with what they found at the scene of the crime led them to believe she was there. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that could lead you to believe she was in the house: was her toothbrush wet, wet towels if she showered at night, the clothes she was wearing during the day in the hamper, her bed warm or unmade. Worst case scenario, blood on her bed or in her room. All these combined with a young girl's voice on the call may add up to them being confident she was in the house when the murder occurred. JMO

Or, even more basic, the call came from her cell phone and it was located in the house away from where here parents bodies were found so it would have been impossible for them to have dialed it at 1am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo