AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last post in the last thread asked what the difference between abduction and kidnapping is.

Abduction is the unlawful taking of another person. Kidnapping is a type of abduction where the person kidnapped is forcibly taken and held against their will.

The broader term of abduction includes situations where the person may be taken unlawfully but not against their will. Parental abductions are the most common form of abduction. The child might not be held against their will but they were taken by fraud or against a court order. Assisting a child runaway is another form of abduction, as the child is not taken against their will but they are taken unlawfully as they are supposed to be under the supervision of their parents.

Interesting. Thank you, Alethea. I have been trying not to read too much into the sheriff's words when he answered a reporters question about whether Jayme was abducted and said something to the effect of he would not classify it as an abduction. I think they would want to keep that classification quiet anyway. However, based on your definitions above they may be classifying this as a kidnapping? I think there could be evidence at the scene and on the 911 call that leads them to believe Jayme was taken against her will. I still wouldn't expect LE to say that to the public until they find Jayme or arrest someone, but it is interesting to consider that the sheriff could have been thinking it is technically legally more serious than an abduction when he made that comment. MOO.

Jmo, all LE knows for sure is that Jayme is missing...meaning cannot be located. They do not know how she came to be missing. Did she run, and something happened to her later? Was she taken by force? Is she deceased but not yet found? They do not know.
Jmo

Ditto...

Is there a quote from LE that relatives were told not to talk to media? Would be interested to see it. Can’t recall many of these...been here for ages.

Here's a quote from a family member, which was reported in the Barron News-Shield (a local newspaper):
[BS] declined to comment on the rest of the case and the family of [JC] and [DC]. He said he was advised by Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald to not to talk about it for the integrity of the investigation.
Family sets up benefit account for Jayme Closs

*family members' name removed by me (replaced with initials)

I see a car parked over by the deck. I'm assuming this is a LE car but it got me wondering if their driveway wraps behind the house and next to the deck. Could the perp have parked near where that car is located or behind the house?

My other question on this photo is on the trash can directly behind dad's truck. Do we think LE would have moved the trashcan there?

On another view, you could see the tire tracks on the grass where dad's truck had pulled in. Can't see them as well in this photo but I believe the trash can is within his tire tracks. So it wouldn't have been there when he pulled in. Might be to remind people to not walk or park there.

I had seen a gray colored vehicle up behind in some of the videos. There is another door on the deck. Considering the way the evidence was visible to news cameras, I was thinking they had used this as a more sensitive route to removing the victims. Again you can lightly see the tire tracks in the grass.

They did seem to spend a lot of time on the deck. People have focused on the idea that mom was in the bathroom, even though that's not from any LE source. Whatever room is inside that door might be where mom was. Maybe she and Jayme were trying to run for it, trying to head for that back door. Just an idea.

@Wrenny you are so right. My bad. I was thinking there was no time stamp on that and it was part of initial call and call out but you are correct it is 5 minutes later so it is that officer reporting it as he first saw it. I tried to go back and delete that line but with the thread closed I couldn't edit.

I think I understood it the same way you did. To me, it says that the dispatcher advised 329 of a possible suicide and 329 requested assistance from the Barron PD. The dispatcher then advised 656 (Barron PD?). Who would have thought that one line could cause so much confusion?

Well, I’m concerned for Jayme. Very concerned. The longer she’s missing the worse it looks. If info isn’t shared (rightfully so as the investigation is still very fluid) by LE, it makes so many more wheels turn, and I guess a small part of my head hoped that maybe, just maybe, she is somewhere safe and not being harmed, and this is all continuing this way, so they can catch the criminals.

All it takes is one person with a scanner, then it spreads like wildfire. In my experience, that's how small towns work. moo
Yes, that's so true. When my daughter split her head on the playground the guy we knew from the video store was an EMS guy and he came just because he knew us. He heard it on his scanner. Some people have it on all day just to see what's going on. Jmo

If you live down the block and see sirens and lights you may drive down to see what's going on. I would.
My husband is an ambulance chaser. I am not. I don’t want to be a nuisance in any way! I would stand in my yard and look down the street however. Not judging! ;)
I was more puzzled by the 2:00AM part and having possibly heard about it on a scanner.

I see. Well, it’s not in quotations, so I’m going with it’s another assumption daily mail made.
I recall hesitating to include that one so that's reinforced by you all questioning it so quickly. I went back to a lot of articles posted early on to see if there were any interesting details published early on and felt that one was surprising so I added it.

Ugh, this is so disheartening. I've been out of the house since this morning and the only real news I see is there will be a presser from the sheriff tomorrow at 4 pm. Is that correct?

I can live without getting additional information right now but I'm surprised, almost shocked that nothing has come up about Jayme. What on earth happened?

Last edited:
I strongly believe that Jayme is still alive. I’ve noticed in the threads that people think Jayme is a homicide victim.

I am hoping and praying she is alive but I don't have a strong opinion either way at this point. Because of the amount of trouble the suspect went through in order to take her (home invasion and double homicide) I hope he prepared to keep her for a long time. I hope she will be rescued. But I think statistics for similar crimes point to a more pessimistic outcome. :(

One thing about the question of James working that day is that I noticed in the article they paraphrase the family member who said he was at work instead of directly quoting him. My sister works swing shift, odd hours, and I could see me saying she couldn't attend a family get together "because of work" even if she wasn't working, but was actually having to sleep at that time because of a weird shift the day before or that night. And I could see a reporter reporting it as me saying she was at work.

So I don't even feel like, without seeing direct quotes, we even know it was said he was working during the family get together. And of course, he could have been working somewhere other than the factory that day. He could have been earning extra cash by cutting firewood with a friend, for instance.

Yes, I can see this too! My husband is a LEO and he works those swing shifts. If he’s working 12hr 5pm-6am shifts back to back he’s literally not doing anything for days but sleep and then work. Make family functions he’s missed because he had to sleep for work. Jmo and experience.

Do we know where the dad was shot? (from the front or behind etc) It just came to me that maybe he was shot while trying to escape the property and that's why he was shot in the doorway. This is obviously just a theory with the limited information we have, but maybe all 3 were at home and were subdued by multiple people as part of a home invasion. Dad breaks free and tries to escape to get help and in a panic one of the perps shoots him dead. Even possibly dad comes home while it's in progress, sees what's happening, turns to flee and gets shot to stop him leaving the house.

Perps don't know what to do as this was supposed to be a simple home invasion where they make a few dollars and now they've got a murder charge hanging over them. They decide they have to kill the mum as well as they can't risk being identified and going down for murder.

As they're not hardened criminals and it was just supposed to be robbing a few items to sell, they can't bring themselves to actually kill the small, very young looking Jayme and take her with them while they decide what to do.
This is more along the lines of what I think happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa