Will Drew Peterson get a new trial?

Peterson himself is the one who would not stay away from the cameras, would not keep his mouth shut. I would bet that once Brodsky saw what he was dealing with - an uncontrollable client, he decided just to go with it rather than trying to fight a losing battle with his own client.

Putting Attorney Smith on the stand as a witness may have been an error on the part of the defense, but I don't think an error in strategy is the same as "ineffective counsel".

I also think there are tons of attorneys who take cases "pro bono" in the hopes of increasing their public profile,etc. Look at the number of attorneys who were in (and out) of the Casey Anthony case - Andrea Lyons, Linda Baden.

I remember seeing Brodsky in his early TV appearances - on Nancy Grace, I believe. The guy actually seemed to believe in his client's innocence. I was kind of amazed at the time.

I haven't seen a defense attorney yet who sounds like he thinks his client is guilty. Also, I think Brodsky knew exactly what he was dealing with when he took on Peterson. I think that is exactly what "drew" them to each other. It is biting him on the a@@ now, sucks to be him. Play with fire, you might just get burnt. jmo

Lets hope & pray NOT!

(bumped from news thread)

Last Chance For Drew Peterson to Dodge Prison Sentence For Wife Slay

If Drew Peterson doesn't win his hearing for a new murder trial this week, the judge is packing him off to prison.

"Drew Peterson has one more shot to dodge a trip to Stateville, and it all comes down to a hearing scheduled to start Tuesday morning.

After more than three and a half years in the Will County jail and a five-week trial that wrapped up in September, the disgraced former Bolingbrook cop's lawyers will try to convince Judge Edward Burmila to give him a do-over.

And that's not all—matters from a wrongful death lawsuit filed against Peterson by his slain third wife's family will be shoehorned into the proceedings. And one of Peterson's current attorneys, Steve Greenberg, expects to argue that Judge Burmila should sanction former Peterson attorney Joel Brodsky.

But wait—there's more"...:

http://bolingbrook.patch.com/articl...-dodge-prison-sentence-for-wife-slay-6d94cb23

Keeping the faith that justice has been and will remain to be served in regards to this <unusual> person.

Now if only we could find Stacy and lay her to rest and in the process put that final nail in his coffin all would be good.

Time for him to start serving a real sentence in big boy prison instead of being coddled in the county jail. Then let's see how big a man he is........

The day ended without a judgement and will continue tomorrow. I'm hoping that the motion for a new trial will be denied, and I think it will be. I hope we can more on to the sentencing sometime tomorrow.

OMG...:floorlaugh:

I just watched a segment on Greta on Fox News. Hilarious discussion about the total meltdown of Greenberg and brodsky. They apparently accused each other of stealing $, being inept and being certifiably narcisstic.

Brown: Making Drew Peterson&#8217;s lawyer squirm might not win new trial &#8212; but it sure is fun to watch

BY MARK BROWN February 19, 2013 7:46PM

Are you familiar with the term &#8220;reluctant witness?&#8221;

Well, they don&#8217;t get much more reluctant than Drew Peterson&#8217;s ex-defense attorney Joel Brodsky, called to the witness stand Tuesday by his former defense team colleagues to help make the argument Peterson deserves a new trial because Brodsky screwed up the case.

During a brief but theatrical trip to the stand, Brodsky gave off more I-don&#8217;t-want-to-be-here body language than a cat thrown into the middle of a dog park on a weekend morning.

He slouched sideways in the witness chair. He sighed loudly and repeatedly. He muttered under his breath to himself while shaking his head. He rolled his eyes. He closed his eyes.

And at no time did he make direct eye contact with his inquisitor, Steven Greenberg, the former colleague on the Peterson defense team with whom he has been openly engaged in a blood feud since the former Bolingbrook police office was found guilty in September of the 2004 murder of third wife Kathleen Savio.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/...uirm-might-not-win-new-trial-but-it-sure.html

Brodsky is something else! :giggle:

Why is it that the ones who are guilty as sin are the ones that try the hardest to get out of any reprecussions what so ever. IMO once you go through all this and if it is determined the atty was not incompetent or what ever the alleged things are in those cases sentencing should come right away and it should no longer be negotiable. ALso they should have DP right away no matter what in a murder case. JMO

Drew Peterson: Ex-attorney Brodsky meets with Stacy's sister

Stacy&#8217;s sister Cassandra Cales wouldn&#8217;t discuss the content of the roughly five-minute conversation, but Brodsky said, "We were just discussing how to make sure that her sister Stacy isn't forgotten after Drew goes away."

Attorneys indicated that the sentencing hearing, if it happens, likely would be Thursday. Peterson, 59, faces 20-60 years in prison.

Attorneys then turned to their argument that Brodsky's decision to call divorce attorney Harry Smith to testify scuttled Peterson's chance at a fair trial.

"Whatever kernel of impeachment Mr. Brodsky thought he was going to get out of it paled in comparison to the mountain of damage that it brought out," Greenberg said. "It was awful strategy, and that strategy alone means Mr. Peterson should get a new trial from this court.&#8221;

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rew-peterson-defense-20130220,0,5290449.story

much more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back