Winter Storm Nemo: Nor'easter Looms

Some New England humor:

dnrnMbO.jpg

They lowered our expected totals to 4-7 inches. And yet, my weatherman looks downright nervous now.

435 plows ready to go as storm bears down on Hamilton
Feb 7 2013

Um, We got more lol...

"Kevin Nursick, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, said his department is ready for the storm. Materials — such as salt and magnesium chloride — are stockpiled at locations around the state, and all equipment, including 632 state plow trucks, are ready. Also, 200 plow trucks to be driven by contractors are on standby, he said."

Linky, link:

http://www.ctnow.com/weather/hc-weather-snow-connecticut-0208-20130205,0,20737,full.story

ETA - Oh, that's for just one town????? Mine is Statewide...How big is Hamilton?

You guys are cracking me up! I love these snow stories and issues. I miss snow.

Where I grew up snow was never forecast in inches, it was usually in feet. One year we were snowed out of school for 6 weeks! Yep, sometime in the early '70's. You could not tell if the car was outside or not, it was over the top. We children loved it, mom - not so much, lol. She let us make homemade donuts. The kitchen was covered in donuts, every kind of topping and sprinkle imaginable, some filled ones too, the burned ones got chocolate topping, lol.

Where I am now, we are only getting rain. That is a good thing. When I first moved here it snowed 3 inches. The entire city shut down! They only had 2 snow plows in a city of over 220,000 people. All the stores sell out of three main things. Milk, white bread, dried white beans. The milk and bread is understandable, the beans??? How can you cook them if the power goes out?

Stay safe and warm, bundle up the little ones when they go out to play. If you have to drive, go very slowly and let everyone else pass you. They can get in an accident, you can lag behind and avoid it if possible. Just remember to leave early if on the way to work.

WDIV (Channel 4 - Detroit) has sent me at least a dozen email weather alerts in the last 36 hours about the impending storm. I will be royally pizzed if it doesn't materialize :D
I don't think we are going to get that much... idk... just a guess...

Here's one for you Merc - I am watching local news with the closures (schools, etc) scrolling across the bottom of the screen, get this, lol:

Town of Wolcott - 6:00 am Friday to 5:00 pm Saturday - Huh??? They're closing the entire town???

Your mom was brave giving you sugar highs while housebound with you lol...

My DS school district is notorious for waiting until the last minute. I'll probably find out at 7:28 tomorrow morning (school starts at 7:30) lol.

PS - Gardenlady, why do they call liquor stores "package" stores here? I've also never seen so much regulation on getting and selling booze! I could go into a 7-11 in CA and get liquor, any kind, but only until 2:00 a.m., they can't sell from 2:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.

ETA - Just saw this on wunderground: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2344

Hold on to our hats folks, it's gonna be a wild ride!

Wow! from your link:

Serious coastal flooding expected in Massachusetts
The high winds from the storm will drive a damaging storm surge of 2 - 4' along the coast of Eastern Massachusetts Friday night and Saturday morning. Of particular concern is the flooding that will occur during the Saturday morning high tide cycle, as that is the time of the new moon, which will bring the highest tide of the month. The ocean's height in Boston varies naturally by about ten feet between low tide and high tide, so it matters greatly when the storm surge arrives, relative to the tidal cycle.

ARe you on the coast, PML? I was just reading that inland our snow is going to be drier and fluffier than closer to the coast, so power outages less likely (yay!).

Will worry about my fam though, they are all down in SE Mass and Cape, so they will get the heavy, nasty stuff, plus the winds.

I am in Michigan. Today it was nearly 40 and melted alot of the 3-4 inches we had on the ground.

They were calling for up to 5 inches but they keep adjusting downward. I am sitting in the library right now near a wall of windows and nary a flake yet. I think our snow starts up at 7-ish.. either that or the weather peeps got excited for no reason (they did that last year as well... hahahaha got me all excited and when I woke up I could still see the grass)

everyone stay safe and enjoy the snow! (I know I already told you guys I love snow! And I do!)

Nurse, my inlaws are in w Michigan, right on the coast of lake Michigan, and say its coming down pretty good there, so it should hit you soon. I hope you get just enough for everything to look pretty, and not enough to make shovelling/driving a nightmare! :)

We are mid-state, kinda by Hartford. It's gonna start out wet until the cold front merges in early afternoon, then fluffy stuff - they are saying 1-2+ feet where I'm at. Now it's a blizzard warning, not watch. We are also gonna have the winds, 50+ mph gusts...The worst of it will be 6:00 pm - 6:00 am

Be safe all ya'll getting that big snowfall. Here in VA we are only expecting rain this evening and possibly 1" of snow or sleet tomorrow morning.

I always worry when the weather people talk of an 'HISTORIC' storm or weather event coming.

I think I'd rather have two foot of snow than 2 inches of ice or freezing rain. In the 80's we had two inches of ice which knocked the power out for two weeks in the middle of a freezing winter. Yep after the ice came we had very low temperatures and the ice remained, fortunately we had gas heat and stove. It became dangerous to walk anywhere near the trees and you heard the constant cracking and breaking of tree limbs. Gutters also went bye bye.

Ironically the ice was very beautiful when the cold sun shone on it. Looked like the world was encased in diamonds.

21merc7...when I lived in southern California, I did miss the snow. If I lived in a warm state I'd want to see the snow once or twice... then right back to my warm area.

Stock up well Garden lady...with 4 restless kids around you will need a few drinks when the day is done!

Oh yes, I can't say I am completely ready because once you lose power it is all over and we will. Plus I have to go to work as I am considered an essential employee.
I love snow but I sure wish I were staying home to enjoy it.
Calling for over 2 feet!! Freezing outside now and can feel it coming.

well, two storms uniting to become one big storm
The most significant snow fall in four years

Up to 25cm of snow and we could get some ice

My adult beverages are all in place
I will settle in til its over
Hoping not to lose power

Lol, like I said in an earlier post, every school district AROUND us (and I mean every TOWN) is cancelled tomorrow, except DS's...Gawd they are something else...:furious:

Well, I'm calling it, NO school for DS tomorrow...Dunderheads! (Wanted to use another word, lol)

PML same for us! My younger kids elementary has called a half day, my older kids high school is still open. meanwhile, every town around us has closed..

Kids are making me haunt the news station web page to watch for updates to the list! :crazy:

GL - you should call it too...NO SCHOOL! I can't believe that they are willing to risk kids' lives (buses especially) for a few bucks (attendance - they get paid for each kid).

Just told DS to turn off his alarm...gonna try and "enjoy" the blizzard(?) lol.

Can I send one of you a small ice chest and have you send me back some snow? I'll pay for the shipping!!!

I miss the cold weather, 77 here today and it's Feb.! Some of the locals have sweaters on lol.

Stay safe!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back